• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oregon Smash Community [OSC] - Oregon's official Smash Community est. 2005

T0MMY

Smash Master
Glad to see some Corvallis people coming together!

Oh, and to answer for @T1MMY - turns out our local gaming lounge has a video capture card! We've spent some time trying to get it to work (they uninstalled the drivers and everything) and learning some software with it, but it looks like we might be able to capture the vids soon.

I'll leave that to t1mmy to do though since I might be up to my ears in work. Mostly speaking about THIS THREAD.
That thread is about the national networking that is in the works to (hopefully) displace a "backroom" and allow for a system where TO's are all working together, players are focused on improving in Smash and having fun, as well as everyone have a say in things on a national level. But it'll take a lot more work to keep it together and working well :^o

My meeting with Kinich and Ayla last night was more about where we wanted to go with partnerships and equipment needed. I was hoping Kinich was going to say he had sponsors in line for events and give everyone some big news, but we're going to need to show them something first, so I am working on getting a stream going with him on our weeklies at the League and helping out with getting the equipment needed for that.
Hope things go well and that he can talk to his people and work something out!

What this means to us is if it works out we'll have more attractive payouts which means more people will come to bigger events which means more hype.
Already things are getting bigger at the League for the weeklies and the last one was so much fun, I'm looking forward to where it's going :^)

Marthcrazy101

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hunterkasper
idk how to play melee ヽ(´ー`)ノ can play smash 4 tho

btw do you go to OSU?
I tried to reply to this earlier but I don't think it went through, so I'm trying again. I don't go to OSU, I'm in my freshman year of high school. But once I graduate, I will go to OSU. I am one of the younger smash players in corvallis so I can't enter many tournaments.

Marthcrazy101

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hunterkasper
Glad to see some Corvallis people coming together!

Oh, and to answer for @T1MMY - turns out our local gaming lounge has a video capture card! We've spent some time trying to get it to work (they uninstalled the drivers and everything) and learning some software with it, but it looks like we might be able to capture the vids soon.

I'll leave that to t1mmy to do though since I might be up to my ears in work. Mostly speaking about THIS THREAD.
That thread is about the national networking that is in the works to (hopefully) displace a "backroom" and allow for a system where TO's are all working together, players are focused on improving in Smash and having fun, as well as everyone have a say in things on a national level. But it'll take a lot more work to keep it together and working well :^o

My meeting with Kinich and Ayla last night was more about where we wanted to go with partnerships and equipment needed. I was hoping Kinich was going to say he had sponsors in line for events and give everyone some big news, but we're going to need to show them something first, so I am working on getting a stream going with him on our weeklies at the League and helping out with getting the equipment needed for that.
Hope things go well and that he can talk to his people and work something out!

What this means to us is if it works out we'll have more attractive payouts which means more people will come to bigger events which means more hype.
Already things are getting bigger at the League for the weeklies and the last one was so much fun, I'm looking forward to where it's going :^)
Just wondering, where are the weeklies? And how old do you have to be to get in?

Last edited:

Zubola

Smash Cadet
I'm sorry, but I'm not even 18. I'm a 14-year-old smash player who got into the game when I was ten. I am GOING to OSU though.
ah ok, i thought your profile said 19 but must've mistaken it for something else

tournaments don't usually have age restrictions so it's just a matter of how much travelling freedom you have

i'm going to ask around the facebook group soon to see how many players we actually have around here

Marthcrazy101

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hunterkasper
ah ok, i thought your profile said 19 but must've mistaken it for something else

tournaments don't usually have age restrictions so it's just a matter of how much travelling freedom you have

i'm going to ask around the facebook group soon to see how many players we actually have around here
Ok man. Thanks.

KBdreams

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, Kinich here. I just stumbled across this forum post and to my surprise my real name happened to be linked in the opening post.

Anyhow, just wanted to introduce myself :)

@ T0MMY T0MMY : I got some more good things to talk to you about this Wednesday.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Just wondering, where are the weeklies? And how old do you have to be to get in?
These weeklies are in Eugene, so might be out of your way to come to them. Although most tournaments do not have age restriction this weekly is held in a "barcade" which is an arcade that serves alcohol so they'll ask to see an ID and if you don't show you are 21 or over they ask you to leave.
But both Big City Gamin' and Pixel Battles are looking to do weekly gaming sessions and those are all ages (although I think BCG is looking into serving drinks, so I'm not sure what might happen in the future with them).

And if all your friends are getting Smashboards accounts, then hope to see them over here. Smashboards is the heart of the Smash Community and our thread here is the perfect place for a general Smash social and hub for Oregon Smashers.

Hey guys, Kinich here. I just stumbled across this forum post and to my surprise my real name happened to be linked in the opening post.

Anyhow, just wanted to introduce myself :)

@ T0MMY T0MMY : I got some more good things to talk to you about this Wednesday.
Hi, nice to see you here. Looking forward to next Wednesday. Hard to imagine much more good things that could be in store considering how much the weeklies have livened up and we are going to have some out-of-town attendance next time probably due to the test stream people caught.

Last edited:

Marthcrazy101

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hunterkasper
These weeklies are in Eugene, so might be out of your way to come to them. Although most tournaments do not have age restriction this weekly is held in a "barcade" which is an arcade that serves alcohol so they'll ask to see an ID and if you don't show you are 21 or over they ask you to leave.
But both Big City Gamin' and Pixel Battles are looking to do weekly gaming sessions and those are all ages (although I think BCG is looking into serving drinks, so I'm not sure what might happen in the future with them).

And if all your friends are getting Smashboards accounts, then hope to see them over here. Smashboards is the heart of the Smash Community and our thread here is the perfect place for a general Smash social and hub for Oregon Smashers.
Dang, maybe I should host my own brawl weeklies. I just don't know where. I should move to Eugene some time.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Dang, maybe I should host my own brawl weeklies. I just don't know where. I should move to Eugene some time.
Yeah, that's exactly where I was with Melee just a few years ago.
Could the boys & girls club provide you with some space to setup with?
You could ask your school if they have some space where you could play as an afterschool activity.
Also a place like a church usually works well.

Not sure you should make a decision to move based solely on Smash, but Eugene is a nice town and has some good schools, good restaurants, and good people... but not a very good job market, haha. Lots of stuff to take into consideration when deciding where to live.

Marthcrazy101

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hunterkasper
Yeah, that's exactly where I was with Melee just a few years ago.
Could the boys & girls club provide you with some space to setup with?
You could ask your school if they have some space where you could play as an afterschool activity.
Also a place like a church usually works well.

Not sure you should make a decision to move based solely on Smash, but Eugene is a nice town and has some good schools, good restaurants, and good people... but not a very good job market, haha. Lots of stuff to take into consideration when deciding where to live.
Your right, I should ask the bgcc if I can use their space. We play brawl from 4:30 to 6:00 every day, but we don't really have tourneys as we just play smash with no items, final destination, and have the last two players switch off. We had a "smash league", but it ended after about two weeks. I am trying to bring it back and have hung some posters around town about the club. However the guy who owns the bgcc hates us playing it and is, overall, a grump. That's why we only get to play for an hour and a half each day. I might be able to convince him, though. And when we're done playing brawl we all play 3ds smash out front. We got a wii u and an hd TV last month, but we need someone to buy smash 4. I have donated $20 towards smash 4. Besides that, we do not play that much. I've practiced at home a lot, but we only ever play online in 3ds smash. However at my birthday party, we are all playing a Melee brackets tourney, so I'll get some Melee exposure there.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Oh, you got a grump problem?
Is it actually an owner? He is probably just managing the place, and maybe he has his reasons for not wanting you guys to play for too long, but see what you can work out with him. If it won't work out then there's plenty of places that would be available for you.

And if you need a copy of Smash Bros. then maybe Oregon Smash can help out. You only need $40 more, I could donate $10 and you're halfway there. How could someone donate to your Smash club? And I'd like to have assurance that the money is going to a good cause and not just being spent on candy or something, haha.

Zubola

Smash Cadet
i hear people saying the corvallis melee facebook group is for all smash games but the group description and all the contents are pretty much melee/pm. not sure if we're lacking a group or if we're just lacking players in general at this point (smash wii u wise

Last edited:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
t!MmY ya find a way to upload our recording? xD
Yup. It's not mine, so I'll let you know when it's all captured and uploaded.

i hear people saying the corvallis melee facebook group is for all smash games but the group description and all the contents are pretty much melee/pm.
Melee is pretty big in Corvallis. The other Smash games (i.e. Smash 4) should get together and promote the game they're playing, just like the Melee/PM people did.

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
Tonight is the next test in our weekly stream at the League. Kinich looked at the equipment we need and I am trying to get some funds to cover it, not the richest person in the world (gotta make sure I blow my money in high rolling vegas black jack and tropical vacations as planned first) but should have a little something more this time around and next week should be good to go.
Will be in working around 5pm and hope to have the stream going sometime between 6p - 7p.
I'm going to ask for a fundraiser to be started today so we can get the Smash Wii U game @ Marthcrazy101 Marthcrazy101 needs.
t1mmy had a black screen problem when he was trying to capture the doubles video, so hope we can get that addressed and captured/uploaded today.

i hear people saying the corvallis melee facebook group is for all smash games but the group description and all the contents are pretty much melee/pm. not sure if we're lacking a group or if we're just lacking players in general at this point (smash wii u wise
Might just be a group of Melee players who say they welcome everyone with words but it's actions which really matter.
I don't think there's a lack of players in general considering I have done pretty much zero advertising in Corvallis and many of the new people coming in here are from Corvallis looking for their local group only to find there's nobody doing anything for them. I think once you find that Corvallis rep who puts the work in to get events organized and people together it'll fall into place.

Marthcrazy101

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hunterkasper
Tonight is the next test in our weekly stream at the League. Kinich looked at the equipment we need and I am trying to get some funds to cover it, not the richest person in the world (gotta make sure I blow my money in high rolling vegas black jack and tropical vacations as planned first) but should have a little something more this time around and next week should be good to go.
Will be in working around 5pm and hope to have the stream going sometime between 6p - 7p.
I'm going to ask for a fundraiser to be started today so we can get the Smash Wii U game @ Marthcrazy101 Marthcrazy101 needs.
t1mmy had a black screen problem when he was trying to capture the doubles video, so hope we can get that addressed and captured/uploaded today.

Might just be a group of Melee players who say they welcome everyone with words but it's actions which really matter.
I don't think there's a lack of players in general considering I have done pretty much zero advertising in Corvallis and many of the new people coming in here are from Corvallis looking for their local group only to find there's nobody doing anything for them. I think once you find that Corvallis rep who puts the work in to get events organized and people together it'll fall into place.
Dang! Thanks for the fundraiser! I already have thirty btw

T0MMY

Smash Master
Yeah, no prob, just have to figure out how to advertise the fund and where to send the funds. I think Ayla can use her paypal and send it to you via transfer if you have an email to give her.
Not sure how many viewers we'll get but I'll extend the fund for next week's stream too if I can and hope to get the details figured out by then. But tourney is happening in a few minutes: Gamepad Arena

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I don't think we figured out how to do the Paypal links and things within the time we had, but I'd be willing to donate to your cause directly.

The event was a lot of fun again, and the stream went exceptionally well. I think a cable came unplugged at some point, but that was about it for SNAFUs. XD

T0MMY

Smash Master
Yeah, still a test run stream for this week's tourney and URLs in chat got auto-deleted on my account. But this was a learning experience so we know what to handle for next time. The bigger audience will be next week, so I'll have some info to give to @ KBdreams KBdreams to get the livestream directed to our sponsors and other links - @ Marthcrazy101 Marthcrazy101 let me know if you have a Paypal account, that way I could get a URL posted from the stream account linking people directly to your Paypal.

But, lots of fun all around! And this time the stream was archived so anyone who missed it can watch it now. Kinich wanted to leave a little early so we cut grand finals short, but I got the last few rounds saved and I'll see if he can upload them for people to see later.

Shoutout to @ katonjutsu katonjutsu (Zayd) for coming out to hype it up for us. He was a great player and guest commentator, walking out of the place taking top 3 like it was nothin' and then kicked some butt on the arcade Time Killers cabinet before stepping out the door. lol, that game, 2gud.

Marthcrazy101

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hunterkasper
Yeah, still a test run stream for this week's tourney and URLs in chat got auto-deleted on my account. But this was a learning experience so we know what to handle for next time. The bigger audience will be next week, so I'll have some info to give to @ KBdreams KBdreams to get the livestream directed to our sponsors and other links - @ Marthcrazy101 Marthcrazy101 let me know if you have a Paypal account, that way I could get a URL posted from the stream account linking people directly to your Paypal.

But, lots of fun all around! And this time the stream was archived so anyone who missed it can watch it now. Kinich wanted to leave a little early so we cut grand finals short, but I got the last few rounds saved and I'll see if he can upload them for people to see later.

Shoutout to @ katonjutsu katonjutsu (Zayd) for coming out to hype it up for us. He was a great player and guest commentator, walking out of the place taking top 3 like it was nothin' and then kicked some butt on the arcade Time Killers cabinet before stepping out the door. lol, that game, 2gud.
Only got a debit card. Getting a paypal in the next month though.

Last edited:

Marthcrazy101

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hunterkasper
Requested to get into the Corvallis melee Facebook page. Just need to get accepted now. My name on Facebook is Hunter Kasper.

Last edited:

Bearedman8

Smash Cadet
Fight or flight Tournament information:

Tournament Organizers: If you have any questions, problems, or concerns before or during the tournament, you can contact:

Adam Christensen
Jarod Inouye
Matthew Miyamoto
Spencer Moholt
Alex LaChapelle

Registration: We’ll open up general registration for all events at approximately 10:00 AM and WILL CLOSE REGISTRATION FOR SM4SH at EXACTLY 10:40. The Sm4sh bracket will start STRICTLY at 11:00 AM. Likewise, registration for MELEE DOUBLES will cut off at 11:40 and the bracket will begin STRICTLY at 12:00. Plan to arrive with sufficient time to register and get ready. Registration for other brackets will be open until approximately 20 minutes before the bracket begins for that event, and we will announce when registration is soon to close and when it is closing.

Brackets: We will be using Tiopro throughout the entire tournament. (Don’t worry – we’ll be saving incessantly.) Before each bracket starts, we will post a bracket image to this Facebook page. We may also upload updated bracket images as the tournament progresses, so check this page as frequently as you desire. We’re going to be announcing matches on the PA system and will also be writing them down on a whiteboard near the TO station. Please listen and check the whiteboard frequently.

Food and DQs: There is a cafeteria inside of the venue. We’re expecting you to eat there if there’s any chance whatsoever of you holding up the bracket if you eat elsewhere. You are allowed to bring food back into and eat food in the room that the tournament will be held in. We recommend that you do so. Additionally, no alcohol is permitted in the venue, but you can be as loud and as hype as you want.

If you’re in the bracket and want to get food, you need to talk to one of the TOs at the TO station first to make sure that there’s time. If so, you’ll be given XX minutes to get your food and be back in the room. Because this is shaping up to be such a large tournament, we won’t hesitate to DQ people who are holding the bracket up. If one of your matches is called and you are aware of it, you MUST quit out of any friendly that you are playing and go to your match or you will be DQ’d. Likewise, if you are playing a friendly on a set-up that needs to be used for tournament, you MUST quit out of the friendly and let the tournament match play on that set-up. Don’t money match people while you’re in a bracket.

Set-ups: Please bring as many set-ups as you can. This is shaping up to be the biggest Smash tournament in Oregon history. We need as many set-ups as possible. We’ll have the room arranged with each game having its own section of the room. Please put your set-ups with other set-ups of its kind (Melee with Melee, PM with PM, and Sm4sh with Sm4sh).

The venue: We're getting this venue for free so please be respectful! Clean up trash after yourself, throw your food away, be nice to any custodial staff that might come in throughout the day, and don't damage any property. We can only continue to get this venue for free if it looks spotless by the time that we're done with it, so give the Smash community a good name and clean up after yourself.

Crew battles: Information will be announced at the venue and will depend on how smoothly the tournament is already running.

Wear deodorant, be hype, and have fun.

Marthcrazy101

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hunterkasper
Fight or flight Tournament information:

Tournament Organizers: If you have any questions, problems, or concerns before or during the tournament, you can contact:

Adam Christensen
Jarod Inouye
Matthew Miyamoto
Spencer Moholt
Alex LaChapelle

Registration: We’ll open up general registration for all events at approximately 10:00 AM and WILL CLOSE REGISTRATION FOR SM4SH at EXACTLY 10:40. The Sm4sh bracket will start STRICTLY at 11:00 AM. Likewise, registration for MELEE DOUBLES will cut off at 11:40 and the bracket will begin STRICTLY at 12:00. Plan to arrive with sufficient time to register and get ready. Registration for other brackets will be open until approximately 20 minutes before the bracket begins for that event, and we will announce when registration is soon to close and when it is closing.

Brackets: We will be using Tiopro throughout the entire tournament. (Don’t worry – we’ll be saving incessantly.) Before each bracket starts, we will post a bracket image to this Facebook page. We may also upload updated bracket images as the tournament progresses, so check this page as frequently as you desire. We’re going to be announcing matches on the PA system and will also be writing them down on a whiteboard near the TO station. Please listen and check the whiteboard frequently.

Food and DQs: There is a cafeteria inside of the venue. We’re expecting you to eat there if there’s any chance whatsoever of you holding up the bracket if you eat elsewhere. You are allowed to bring food back into and eat food in the room that the tournament will be held in. We recommend that you do so. Additionally, no alcohol is permitted in the venue, but you can be as loud and as hype as you want.

If you’re in the bracket and want to get food, you need to talk to one of the TOs at the TO station first to make sure that there’s time. If so, you’ll be given XX minutes to get your food and be back in the room. Because this is shaping up to be such a large tournament, we won’t hesitate to DQ people who are holding the bracket up. If one of your matches is called and you are aware of it, you MUST quit out of any friendly that you are playing and go to your match or you will be DQ’d. Likewise, if you are playing a friendly on a set-up that needs to be used for tournament, you MUST quit out of the friendly and let the tournament match play on that set-up. Don’t money match people while you’re in a bracket.

Set-ups: Please bring as many set-ups as you can. This is shaping up to be the biggest Smash tournament in Oregon history. We need as many set-ups as possible. We’ll have the room arranged with each game having its own section of the room. Please put your set-ups with other set-ups of its kind (Melee with Melee, PM with PM, and Sm4sh with Sm4sh).

The venue: We're getting this venue for free so please be respectful! Clean up trash after yourself, throw your food away, be nice to any custodial staff that might come in throughout the day, and don't damage any property. We can only continue to get this venue for free if it looks spotless by the time that we're done with it, so give the Smash community a good name and clean up after yourself.

Crew battles: Information will be announced at the venue and will depend on how smoothly the tournament is already running.

Wear deodorant, be hype, and have fun.
where excactly is the tournament? And can i join if i am not 18?

T0MMY

Smash Master
I believe it's all ages since there is no alcohol allowed on campus.

Being held on the University of Oregon campus in the Global Scholar Hall building (GSH), next to museum of natural art and near Hayward field.

The events are being held in the Great Room of the GSH building, and I forget the exact number of the room, but it's very easy to find once you're in the GSH:
The Great Room is on ground floor.
Walk in through the front doors of the building and you should see it on your right before going into the food court area.
Any trouble finding it and you can always ask someone at the counter to help point you to the right direction.​

Marthcrazy101

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hunterkasper
I believe it's all ages since there is no alcohol allowed on campus.

Being held on the University of Oregon campus in the Global Scholar Hall building (GSH), next to museum of natural art and near Hayward field.

The events are being held in the Great Room of the GSH building, and I forget the exact number of the room, but it's very easy to find once you're in the GSH:
The Great Room is on ground floor.
Walk in through the front doors of the building and you should see it on your right before going into the food court area.
Any trouble finding it and you can always ask someone at the counter to help point you to the right direction.​
exactly what DATE is the tourney?

T0MMY

Smash Master
Did they not post the date? Sorry I didn't catch your post until too late.
I have the Gamepad site linked on the front page, they had all the info posted on their site though, which was the only public information I know of from that event, so at least there was that.
Speaking of missing the tourney, thought I'd see Zuboloa and Zyad there. Was hoping to see the Z-guys!
Well, maybe I'll see you all at another Eugene event soon - hopefully on the 28th!

T0MMY

Smash Master
The tournament on the 28th is using Apex 2015 rules.
These rules essentially made it so I could not compete at last weekend's Fight or Flight tournament.
Also there's a wireless controller ruling that could keep some people from properly competing. I figured anyone who is affected by these Apex rules should probably let it be known they don't want them used:

Maybe post here about it like I did: Smashboards link

T0MMY

Smash Master
Yesterday was kind of fun despite being nearly called off entirely due to a streak of people being sick and a few others not able to make it including our kind sponsors who set up the stream and run that. Thankfully Seth and t1mmy managed the stream setup and I mainly operated the stream which I thought was really fun to do, but lots of work when combined with running brackets. Got a couple games in towards the end though, so that was nice.

Also I've been hearing a lot of people trying to find practice groups, friends, events, etc. in Portland and Corvallis now for Smash Wii U (Melee seems to have their clique managed). How would be the best way to get everyone interested in playing together in these areas?

Top Bottom