• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oregon Smash Community [OSC] - Oregon's official Smash Community est. 2005

Jaxas

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaxas7
Rubrub is in Eugene now and trying to set up a time to get together and play so we'll use that as a time to chat about our plans. Maybe all of us can find a car/driver(s) and cruise through Salem and pick you up. Masky has already offered us housing :^)
Awesome! Sounds good to me, let me know how it goes

T0MMY

Smash Master
Someone said Bart & co. did exactly as I predicted and went and caused FB drama. To clear up some of the hearsay over there I have the following facts collapsed for whoever is interested in reading:
I don't have much way to connect with people (computers, internet, etc.) due to environmental health issues, but I caught wind of a Facebook blowup over Bart's problem I feel like I could help with.
I talked to a few people in person and from what I was told yesterday it was pretty much just Bart who still had any major issues with anything (which isn't anything new considering our history), but others had some questions and there were a few points to clarify so I'll make a post here and maybe someone can link it on Facebook if needed.

Instead of telling my "side" of the story (which is ultimately worthless to create "sides" in a community, as "sides" can only divide), I will divulge verifiable facts which will recreate a more accurate understanding of any issues Bart wants to raise.
When I say verifiable facts I am saying that anyone who is reading this can obtain further information which will substantiate an accurate representation of real events (audio/video capture, multiple eyewitness accounts, paper trails, etc.) and all reasoning will not be done with opinion or mere rhetoric, but with reason and logical argument. I feel anyone concerned enough to read this much about what Bart has raised deserves that much respect, not a dog & pony show (sorry dramaphiles).

So, the fact remains that Bart publicly accused me of theft, as many people saw the show that unfolded at the otherwise enjoyable event.
This is not what I see as just a criminal offense but a very big accusation for the community - and as the popular saying goes, great claims need great evidence. Foundationless accusations after all, will have repercussions that Bart apparently is prepared to accept from all he is involving.

So if he is making such a big claim, then why the lack of any solid evidence?

From what I could tell this is why the conversation shifted more towards a supposed campus policy that states an entrance fee should not be charged.
So, why the venue fee publicly posted and made known for a substantial amount of time if the hosts knew this was possibly against policy?
From my inquiries I found it was because that policy was not explicitly made clear to those who set up the tournament prior to and up until I was asked to run things - and I don't just mean any one of them, I mean everyone I talked to. This means that the University itself made a mistake not going over policy with those who set up the venue. Which means that if this policy does exist, it was not explicitly made clear to those working to run this event.

The accusation of theft reduces to, at worst, a mistake by the UO staff not making such a policy (if applicable) made known.

As absurd as it is to blame the hosts for trying to "steal" money by running an event the way most every event has been run, add on to the fact that the event passed down through multiple people until eventually it reached someone who was willing to do all the work to keep the event going instead of having it canceled - me.
By that point copy-and-paste rules were already drawn up and posted, which would include the standard venue fee of $5 to cover expenses, liabilities, and of course profits that can be used for future events.

At this point I don't know if everyone else used some reason and saw the absurdity in accusing me, and only me, of theft when the facts show:
1) I didn't set this event up
2) I didn't make the post of fees (including venue fee)
3) I didn't have the money in my pocket as accused of publicly
4) I still don't have the money

Ok, so mistakes may have been made, nobody really cares if hosts make a profit, and the way it is looking the University doesn't even really care unless they want egg on their face for not making sure these things are known if they are applicable. Oops, the guy who set this up just made some money, so the question is what did he do with it?
Well, that's actually none of our business, as I stated at publicly to Bart, that if there was profit for the host he can spend it on his family, a vacation, a new pair of underwear or whatever he wanted - it's actually really insipid to demand to know what someone is doing with their property. However, that was before I was told about the possibility of a policy that may be applicable, at which point I don't really have any problem divulging information about things now. At the end of the drama the host was most certainly upset by Bart's aggressive behavior when I asked him what he wanted me to do with the leftover money he said it just went to compensate the hosts for their work - which I've already stated isn't really an issue with the Smash Community by and large. He basically gave it all to me, probably wanting nothing to do with it in addition to seeing as I was the one who handled most all the work involved.
So what did I do to it?
Well, I had actually hired a friend of mine who is a professional event host and told her I'd even pay her for helping out. So I gave it to her to decide what to do with it.

I did not start hosting Smash events to profit off that, I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to business practice - I usually sink about $100 into fliers alone just to get people to play at a venue that keeps ALL the profit from venue fee and I get zero compensation other than keeping the scene alive.

This leaves one to question why such accusations were made at all.
But this has everything to do with Bart's history with me.

TL;DR: Bart is not going to be accommodated at any event I am working at and since he has transgressed against FOUR local TO's I am asking that all TO's follow suit in case he continues these transgressions in other events outside of mine.

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaxas7
who is Bart?

that's kind of weird to accuse someone of theft if the entry fee is only one or two dollars.
As far as I know, Bart was one of the people attending the tournament; the issue stems from a combination of... rather unfortunate circumstances.

Jonix was the original organizer for the tournament, but he was called in to work that day only a few days before the tournament was set to happen.
Because of that, the Smash Twins (T1mmy and T0mmy) had to step in and run things at the last minute. It appears that there was a certain point at which a different venue was being discussed, which would have cost $55/hour, but that ended up not happening. The venue used was instead free, yet the twins still charged a venue fee of $5 (I'm not sure whether they knew it was free or not) in addition to the standard tournament entries ($5 for Brawl/P:M singles, $10/team for doubles, and $10 for Melee singles). Theoretically, they had collected around $500 total in venue fees, though who payed and didn't pay the venue fee was (as far as I know, and I was helping take sign-ups) not tracked.

Everybody(?) payed the venue fee with no problems, but near the end of the tournament some of the players (Bart, I assume - I don't know names) learned of the fact that it was a free venue. They didn't feel that it was right to charge a venue fee (as well as the fact that U of O apparently has a policy against making money off of things ran for free in that venue) so they asked for refunds for all the players. The Twins refused, for any number of possible causes (anything from they didn't know it was a free venue to they wanted to pocket the money to they wanted Jonix to decide, etc) and things have...
escalated, rather hugely, from there.

So that's the story (as I know it, at least)

T0MMY

Smash Master
Because there were a couple questions regarding the incident, I have this collapsed for those who want to read it:

I really didn't know anything other than Jonix asking me to run the event - I don't have Facebook, don't have internet connection, and only just got a computer (plenty of people know my bout with mold that pretty much claimed every material good I owned). I really am completely out of the loop, so accusing me (and me alone, keep that in mind for conclusion) of "pocketing" the money is rather absurd unless ulterior motives are involved (and with Bart making the accusation, one must consider his history with me, again keep that in mind).

Honestly, there's a big difference between having an opinion that 'hosts shouldn't make money' and outright pointing at me and calling me a thief publicly.

BTW, I did not refuse to pay people who wanted their money back, verifiable fact: I offered to pay out of my own wallet, (for a kind of "all of the above" option: I felt that hosts should be compensated for their work, did not know about any "policy", and felt this was Jonix's call).
So if people felt like they should get their money back I would give it to them myself. Result? The group of people who came over to me didn't care, and did not want their money back (except ONE person to whom I gave the last 5 one dollar bills in my pocket). Once again, multiple witnesses should be able to testify this. This is verifiable absurdity considering I've spent years losing money hosting events just so people can play Smash together, which points to Bart's ulterior motives.

Not sure where the $500 quote is from, that seems very much exaggerated (maybe for FB drama purposes?) - simple math: if it were $5/person than we'd have had over 100 people attending (wow! successful event?) - from what I saw there were about 40 people in the biggest event, and after any fees were waived (or not paid for any reason) that would put it well below even half that.

Conclusion
I've given Bart the benefit of the doubt too many times, after multiple of attempts of trying to talk things out with him in a mature fashion this has crossed the line. At this point he's involved more than just me, he has transgressed against my friends and when I heard about what has been said, I was immediately appalled that he would risk Matt's education as well as transgress against Jonix (who is both a good friend and a great person) and go so far as to divide the community and mar Oregon's scene over a (possible) petty mistake in order to, what... tarnish my image? The ends to these means will not result in people coming together and having fun, which is just the thing that the hosts were looking to provide, dividing a community is about the worst that can be done. So, his friends can go with him and I hope they find a place for themselves and can leave the rest of us who want a drama-free and fun event to attend to enjoy our time together.

Note: The $55/hour was a quote I got on my near-future event, not this past one I filled in for. Obviously, I canceled holding it there as I am not in any financial shape to do so.
Note 2: t1mmy had even less to do with hosting than I, as in NOTHING at all so anyone naming him specifically or referring to us as a plural are showing just how little they know of the events or just repeating heresay (which get destroyed by verifiable facts).
Note 3: Last I checked this was a free country to be compensated for our work for others, so consider me supporting compensation for TO's work if they can successfully do it and if the attendees approve (if they don't, please don't attend).

TL;DR: Bart is not going to be accommodated at any of my events and I urge other TO's to do the same so he does not carry on this kind of behavior against them and others at their events.

Last edited:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I went down to tBig City Gamin' to talk to the store owner and he said they already have 80 people signed up on their social network for the tournament.

Yay, big Eugene tourney! :D

Tempa

Smash Rookie
Does guardian games in portland still hold tournaments? How often? Is it ok if a newbie plays for fun? Also what other portland tournies are there? Thanks <3

Last edited:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Does guardian games in portland still hold tournaments? How often? Is it ok if a newbie plays for fun? Also what other portland tournies are there? Thanks <3
Last I heard, Guardian Games is not doing Smash tournaments.

odamn that's alot of entrees, good to see. see y'all there
That's just from the online social networking. There was an advertisement in the paper that was published yesterday. :o

Zubola

Smash Cadet
GGs to everyone today! sorry i had to leave before doubles was over ;-;

are tournament results going to be posted anywhere?

Last edited:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
GGs to everyone today! sorry i had to leave before doubles was over ;-;
are tournament results going to be posted anywhere?
Good games, though I think I only got to play with you in Smash Run. I don't have FaceBook, but I'd check out The Game Pad's FB thing and see if they have brackets anywhere - outside that I'm not sure.

I'm hoping to play the Salem guys in SSB4 someday soon!

Zubola

Smash Cadet
Good games, though I think I only got to play with you in Smash Run. I don't have FaceBook, but I'd check out The Game Pad's FB thing and see if they have brackets anywhere - outside that I'm not sure.

I'm hoping to play the Salem guys in SSB4 someday soon!
Ah ok, was just wondering how many people i tied 5th out of (and who placed 1st).

Guess I'll see you in Salem too then ]:)

Jaxas

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaxas7
What's all this I'm hearing about Salem interest?!

Anyways, just as a heads up if anyone's planning on heading down this Saturday then I'd recommend a different week, as our normal venue is going to be unavailable due to MTG's Game Day. We're trying to find another spot, and will almost certainly be able to for the 3DS tournament at least, but it's not guaranteed.

Check our FaceBook page for more info!

T0MMY

Smash Master
The operator of GamePad is Ayla and she's kind of new to the video game event scene (she hosts non-video game gaming events as her career) so next time I see her I'll let her know how to upload results.
Dylan (aka Tasty) won the Smash Run event, and got the "Lag Flag"
I took the For Fun event with my Pac Man
And if I remember the top 4 correctly for For Glory:
1) t0mmy (Greninja)
2) t1mmy (Sheik, Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede)
3) Tasty (Greninja)
4) Thrilla (Luicina?)

Was looking forward to attending a Salem weekly, but that's cool, we can wait. And you are welcome to come down here and play, I'll kick in money for gas if you want, just give me a text.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
if anyone's planning on heading down this Saturday then I'd recommend a different week, as our normal venue is going to be unavailable due to MTG's Game Day.
Check our FaceBook page for more info!
We went up north and played with the WA players after picking up SSB4 in Portland (for the pre-order incentive), but I'd like to play with you guys too. I guess if this Saturday doesn't work out, maybe we could go up the week after.

Also, I can't see any info on the page you linked to, just a login page. It's sort of dumb how FaceBook operates like that.

Edit:
The Game Pad is hosting another Smash event, please check out their page here: https://www.facebook.com/events/550857505014588/
And I made a Smashboards event here: http://smashboards.com/threads/nov-8-2014-for-fun-for-glory-eugene-oregon.373661/
Whoa, awesome. I'll definitely attend.

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
Jaxas, do you have a 3DS video adapter? I'm really interested in getting video display of matches for tournaments, the one on the 8th especially would be fun to have video display since it's shaping up to be pretty big.

Jaxas

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaxas7
Jaxas, do you have a 3DS video adapter? I'm really interested in getting video display of matches for tournaments, the one on the 8th especially would be fun to have video display since it's shaping up to be pretty big.
No, I don't. Our stream guy Masterfisk does, but I don't think he has a Smashboards account; I'll talk to him about getting in touch with you though

Jaxas

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaxas7
I'm actually probably going to be adding P:M to our current Melee slot on Mondays at the Salem Smashfests; we have SSB64 there at the moment but no one really shows up for it, so...

Might as well replace it with something people will show up for!

T0MMY

Smash Master
That would be great if you could get him down here, does he do these video services professionally? Just want to know how much a charge could be for the service.

Oh, and I would totally be down for some 64 when I'm at Salem if I were there X^D

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaxas7
He doesn't, just runs his own stream channel. He used to be pretty much the guy for Pokemon stuff here in Oregon, so that's why he has the card.

And as for 64, we're actually probably going to end up cutting it because no one has entered it...
Which is unfortunate.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Can't say I am too disappointed in dropping SSB64 as I don't have a controller and the game seems out of place being on the N64 with specific controllers even when people want to play the are unable to. I found hosting on the Virtual Console download for the Wii brought all those people back to it, but some 64 elitists made a stink about it being on the Wii and kind of ruined it for everyone (they told the TO they would stop coming to his business if he didn't have it on the N64 - well, he did as they said and they still stopped showing up - go figure).

I'm all about Smash 4 nowadays anyway, but always have room in my heart for all the Smash games :^)

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
And as for 64, we're actually probably going to end up cutting it because no one has entered it...
Which is unfortunate.
I would have liked to played some more SSB (64) since I haven't played it in a while. I really thought about entering the SSB tournament up in GameClucks last month but I didn't take a N64 controller with me. :\

When's our next Salem vs Eugene crew battle scheduled? And: is Rubrub now considered Eugene or is he still Salem for Crew purposes?

T0MMY

Smash Master
Definitely check out the FB page for Portland's Melee scene.
I know Tspeeds (Teddy) as a steller P:M player and he hosts weeklies in Portland.
And I try to keep the Oregon nexus strung together here on Smashboards, which is going to be focused on Smash 4 3DS/Wii U.
I'm keeping my eye out for more Smash 3DS tourneys happening but the only real event I see outside Eugene is Gameclucks/Gamezone in Seattle. Next one there is on the 9th of Nov. which I am planning on going to, but there's also a Eugene 3DS monthly same day so I'm going to have to make a tough choice there. Kind of want to go play with players outside my town but looks like it might be close to same amount of attendees with no travel costs here.

katonjutsu

Smash Cadet
Been years since I used this account. D: If anyone remembers me, I'm Z from Salem(black dude who used to have long hair lol) back in 2008, made it to a few tournaments before I had to move back down to the Oregon Coast. Luckily, I have a car now so I can make trips up(only 2 hours away from Eugene!) so I decided to come back for SSB4. (:

T0MMY

Smash Master
Well, you are back, but I am left wondering where your hair went :^p
Welcome back!

T25XL

Smash Journeyman
I know that Portland has a pretty solid Melee (and I think P:M) scene. I don't think there's much of anything for Brawl, maybe Smash 4 but I have no idea.

Try this group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/340535089298820/?fref=nf
You most likely don't know me, but I live in Beaverton (used to live in portland) and I'm still rockin' brawl over here, only just online. I haven't really had the chance to do anything offline. But yea I'm a brawler near the portland area

T0MMY

Smash Master
When will Salem and Eugene get together and Smash it up? I'm thinking maybe tomorrow :^D

Jaxas

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaxas7
When will Salem and Eugene get together and Smash it up? I'm thinking maybe tomorrow :^D
Sounds good to me! Head on down this week if you want, though Rubrub will be heading down next weekend anyways. Either way works for us!

T0MMY

Smash Master
Thx for the links.
The streaming was done well, but need someone who wants to commentate through all the matches (most want to play though, so it's difficult to find someone to do this job right now).
I'll check them out when I can.

Salem is a cool place, 10/10 would Smash there again.

ArgentinaLostFifa

Smash Rookie
who is Bart?

that's kind of weird to accuse someone of theft if the entry fee is only one or two dollars.
Oh my gosh there is no smashers near Ontario,Oregon. There is no melee smashfests or tournaments in or even close to here. Tell me if you know anyone:)Please.

Zubola

Smash Cadet
GGs today y'all, and gratz to the champion tasty!

also gj to the awesome commentators :D

Last edited:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
When's the next event? :D
I'm hyped for the console release.

It was awesome to see the Salem crew come down, but I was hoping Jaxas could make it. Also, I realized while walking to the venue that it's on the same block as RubRub's apartment. lol, the irony.

Last edited:
Top Bottom