• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oregon Smash Community [OSC] - Oregon's official Smash Community est. 2005

T0MMY

Smash Master
Ok, get yourself a venue, then figure on a date. I'll help post here and on AiB to help advertise when you get that settled. I'll look into getting another phone charger soon and you can text me the info when you have it.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
@ Jaxas Jaxas : Do you ever host any sort of Smash gathering on other days of the week? The only days I can realistically drive down to Salem would be Wednesday and Thursday.

I've been out of the Smash scene for about four years. I'm awful. But now that I live on the west coast (Portland area), I really want to get back into the scene and make some friends and rivals. Hopefully I can get back into tournament shape by the time the next game comes out.

...I don't even want to ponder how bad I am at Melee now.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
We don't at the moment, though we may get Melee running on a Saturday at some point. If nothing else, though, we might be able to do a special tournament that's a bit more advertised on a different day.

Also, I'm always down for people to head over just to play, and I'm sure I could get a decent number of our regulars over too; though obviously it would be a decent drive for you

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Yeah, I'll just keep track of this thread and your AiB group to see if anything pops up that I can attend. Whether Brawl or Melee is played, I don't really care; I'll probably just watch and play friendlies anyway.

If you happen to be getting a group together on a Wednesday or Thursday sometime, keep me in mind. I'd be willing to help carpool with other Portlanders, too.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Just a heads up, but when I follow the link I get a "This content is currently unavailable: The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page." error message

Where's it at, though, and what games?

Dagon97

Smash Journeyman
I might go there peacemakers @ Jaxas Jaxas I will keep going to tournaments since last time was so fun if you make any major changes to the tournament be sure to let me know!

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Good to hear! Last week's tournament was by far the largest yet, and I've made some plans to get through things more quickly this week, so it should go a bit smoother in the future; though I don't think this week went badly by any means.

And I'll be sure let you know, but if anything changes it shouldn't affect the current Brawl tournaments. We'd just be adding more, like Melee on a certain day or special, larger buy-in, double elimination tournaments on occasion.

Stay tuned to our Facebook and Smashboards pages though, that's where it's easiest to keep up to date on news.

Last edited:

adPEXtwinDoNG

Smash Cadet
Just a heads up, but when I follow the link I get a "This content is currently unavailable: The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page." error message

Where's it at, though, and what games?
Are you in the Oregon Smash FB group? Thats the only idea I can think of.

Hope to see you guys at the upcoming Red Castle Games tourney.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Sorry Gage, I can't see facebook links since I don't have an account there. Post the details and I'll put it on the front page here and Nintendodojo Group when I can.

If you happen to be getting a group together on a Wednesday or Thursday sometime, keep me in mind. I'd be willing to help carpool with other Portlanders, too.
If you can make it down to Eugene on Wednesdays we have weekly Smash tournaments here, not focused on any Smash game in particular so it changes week to week but usually Melee or P:M sometimes Brawl and rarely SSB64. Smash tourneys run alongside Street Fighter and other fighting games if you are interested in playing anything else players come for those games as well. PM if you need anymore details.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Thanks @ T0MMY T0MMY , I appreciate it. Once the summer cools down (not literally; I just have a lot of job-related stuff this month), I'll definitely head down. I'm big on Street Fighter IV and Injustice, too, so that sounds like fun.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Injustice used to be a featured game, but the scene for it kind of died down after EVO. A few of our good players graduated from UO and moved out of town, thought summer was going to be slow without them but we are still doing well, just down to Smash & Street Fighter and maybe a side event for something like Dive Kick, Nidhogg, or a random oldskool fighter for free events.
Good luck with the job related stuff.
Are you by chance the Staindgrey I remember from the articles written for AiB?

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
I might go there peacemakers @ Jaxas Jaxas I will keep going to tournaments since last time was so fun if you make any major changes to the tournament be sure to let me know!
Ok, so it's not 100% finalized but close enough that I'm spreading the word now:

We will be continuing the Brawl weeklies every Monday at 4pm.
Starting Saturday, August 9th we will be beginning Melee weeklies at 2pm.

For more details, visit either the Facebook or Smashboards Page (or just ask me).

Thanks!

Dagon97

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so it's not 100% finalized but close enough that I'm spreading the word now:

We will be continuing the Brawl weeklies every Monday at 4pm.
Starting Saturday, August 9th we will be beginning Melee weeklies at 2pm.

For more details, visit either the Facebook or Smashboards Page (or just ask me).

Thanks!
we could do PM on saturdays as well maybe...

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
we could do PM on saturdays as well maybe...
It's a possibility, but for right now I'm going to focus on getting Melee up and running, and then seeing what to add from there. It really depends on the turnout, and what the interest is from the group that shows up on Saturdays

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
My thanks to the Portland Smashers for getting a tournament going for everyone to attend, but it still must be said that I would have liked to have seen some P:M singles since I came all the way up to play. Brawl would have been fun too since the last non-local Brawl tournament was back at the UO All Stars.

I understand that a WHOLE LOT of people showed up for Melee Singles, so I sympathize with how things ended up for the TOs. If the Melee Tournament is really that big, it should be big enough to support itself and get the entire venue for the day. Perhaps do a P:M - Brawl combo tourney on a different day of the month? The owners would probably be down for it seeing how much money came in for them.

Speaking of the owner(s): I had a bad run-in with a guy who claimed was the owner. Very disrespectful to his customers/smashers (me) who are the people bringing him business. I'd rather not go into details, but just from that one instance I would honestly prefer a different venue altogether if you guys could manage it.

But, to end this message on a positive note, thanks again for all the hard work to the TO's because that was a lot of work to have to deal with. :)

T0MMY

Smash Master
What are all the weeklies in Eugene? Once my class schedule lightens up I may be able to make it down for some
The weeklies on Wednesday evenings are at the Shoryuken League which is pretty much a bar so they check ID's for referencing ages to be 21 or older or ask the person to leave due to their rather unfortunate affiliation with the OLLC (aka the liquor mafia).

The weeklies at the UO are all ages and are pretty much P:M only with a dash of Melee, but there are several people there that have played Brawl when I set it up (once). I'm up for any of the Smashes and there most every week.
Please note the UO weeklies are on hold for the summer and will start up again in a couple months; not sure when exactly, probably best to check on their FB page.

There are also Melee players playing whenever they play, but I'm not exactly sure when that goes down. And any word on when Rubrub is going up to Salem just post here and let us know.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
The weeklies on Wednesday evenings are at the Shoryuken League which is pretty much a bar so they check ID's for referencing ages to be 21 or older or ask the person to leave due to their rather unfortunate affiliation with the OLLC (aka the liquor mafia).

The weeklies at the UO are all ages and are pretty much P:M only with a dash of Melee, but there are several people there that have played Brawl when I set it up (once). I'm up for any of the Smashes and there most every week.
Please note the UO weeklies are on hold for the summer and will start up again in a couple months; not sure when exactly, probably best to check on their FB page.

There are also Melee players playing whenever they play, but I'm not exactly sure when that goes down. And any word on when Rubrub is going up to Salem just post here and let us know.
Yeah, unfortunately I'm under 21 myself so the Shoryuken League is a no go for now. And I'm also not very interested in P:M myself, though I may head up for Melee sometimes! I'll be sure to check out the page on Facebook, thanks.

RubRub should be moving to Eugene sometime in the next 2 months I believe; I don't have a specific date but I'll let you know when I do, if he hasn't let you know already.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I think there's going to be weeklies on Wednesday in Springfield (right next to Eugene, might as well be a part of Eugene) - all ages/all Smash. Very cool! Too bad I work then, but it happens to be at the place where one of my good Smash friends used to live, very funny coincidence, huh? X^D
If that gets big enough maybe you can head down for that one... So much Smash it is overlapping during the week, too good!

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
I think there's going to be weeklies on Wednesday in Springfield (right next to Eugene, might as well be a part of Eugene) - all ages/all Smash. Very cool! Too bad I work then, but it happens to be at the place where one of my good Smash friends used to live, very funny coincidence, huh? X^D
If that gets big enough maybe you can head down for that one... So much Smash it is overlapping during the week, too good!
That would be awesome, let me know when it starts up! I'll be sure to make it when I can

T0MMY

Smash Master
Just talked to the future host, he said most likely the Springfield weeklies may be happening fridays - looking at 3rd Friday of this month :^)

T0MMY

Smash Master
Update on the Springfield weeklies:
Springfield Smash: 1st of the Springfield Weeklies for all things Smash. Brentwood Estate's office building - 317 30th St, Springfield OR (near the main street entrance).
That is 30th & Main near the DMV in like a clubhouse kind of place. The old Springfield gang will be there, that might include Vigil (Will), 8-bit Ryan, and Jonix. I told Sam I'd post the info places to get word out there to help with the start of his weeklies, looking good already. If the Melee players can get over there that pretty much is the majority of Eugene Smash, I was hoping Jaxas could show, but he PM'd me letting me know he couldn't. But these are supposed to be weeklies, so more opportunities in the future ([^ ^]

Dagon97

Smash Journeyman
Update on the Springfield weeklies:
Springfield Smash: 1st of the Springfield Weeklies for all things Smash. Brentwood Estate's office building - 317 30th St, Springfield OR (near the main street entrance).
That is 30th & Main near the DMV in like a clubhouse kind of place. The old Springfield gang will be there, that might include Vigil (Will), 8-bit Ryan, and Jonix. I told Sam I'd post the info places to get word out there to help with the start of his weeklies, looking good already. If the Melee players can get over there that pretty much is the majority of Eugene Smash, I was hoping Jaxas could show, but he PM'd me letting me know he couldn't. But these are supposed to be weeklies, so more opportunities in the future ([^ ^]
ill make an effort to attend both weeklies! i think Richard can make it there i am not sure

T0MMY

Smash Master
Awesome, see you there.
Good turn out for Smash this week tonight at the League, hope to have it lead to another good weekly friday.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Last Friday's weekly was a good start, had 6 for Brawl, 11 for P:M, and I'm not sure how many for Melee, but between those two, probably 8-10.
Next week I heard is going to be shorter and more local, but the week after will probably turn out to be much bigger and I'll try to help setup carpools or whatever for people coming from out of city if needed.
Sam did a great job hosting for his first time, was polite and professional, and also played some good matches.
Good games to everyone, enjoyed the time we spent together.
Oh, and the venue was legit, very much liked it.

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
@ Jaxas Jaxas when the school year starts will these weeklies still be on a Monday?
Yes, though upon the release of Smash 4 3DS, we'll be changing the schedule around to be Brawl & Smash 4 3DS on Saturdays, while Melee will be moved to Monday.

Once Smash 4 Wii U releases, if there's still a demand for Brawl then we'll be moving it over to Monday as well while Saturday is Smash 4 day.

Last Friday's weekly was a good start, had 6 for Brawl, 11 for P:M, and I'm not sure how many for Melee, but between those two, probably 8-10.
Next week I heard is going to be shorter and more local, but the week after will probably turn out to be much bigger and I'll try to help setup carpools or whatever for people coming from out of city if needed.
Sam did a great job hosting for his first time, was polite and professional, and also played some good matches.
Good games to everyone, enjoyed the time we spent together.
Oh, and the venue was legit, very much liked it.
Sounds awesome, hopefully we'll be able to get a decent portion of Salem up there; almost everyone here has expressed interest, we just need to figure out a ride.

Dagon97

Smash Journeyman
Yes, though upon the release of Smash 4 3DS, we'll be changing the schedule around to be Brawl & Smash 4 3DS on Saturdays, while Melee will be moved to Monday.

Once Smash 4 Wii U releases, if there's still a demand for Brawl then we'll be moving it over to Monday as well while Saturday is Smash 4 day.
Heck a freaking thank you!

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I had lots of fun at the last Springfield event and I'll definitely show up tomorrow for more. I'll play SSB, Melee, Brawl, P:M - whatever Smash anyone else wants, though I feel like I should scope in on one particular Smash as far as tournaments are concerned. It takes a good amount of deliberation to go back and forth among them all. ^_^;

T0MMY

Smash Master
Not meeting up today in Springfield - NEXT WEEK should be big though :^)
Speaking about playing too many games... I played a few hours of Street Fighter 4 on a stick and it hurt my wrist, so playing in grand finals in all the Smash events last friday kind of wrecked my hand so bad it's still giving me problems even up to today. Next week if it's still giving me some bad problems I may cut out one of Melee or P:M since they are so demanding of button pushing X_X

Last edited:

Dagon97

Smash Journeyman
Not meeting up today in Springfield - NEXT WEEK should be big though :^)
Speaking about playing too many games... I played a few hours of Street Fighter 4 on a stick and it hurt my wrist, so playing in grand finals in all the Smash events last friday kind of wrecked my hand so bad it's still giving me problems even up to today. Next week if it's still giving me some bad problems I may cut out one of Melee or P:M since they are so demanding of button pushing X_X
try using the wii mote nunchuck it feels better than a gamecube controller

T0MMY

Smash Master
Good suggestion on the Nunchuck, but I got my friend to stop using the "Wii Stick" as he called it, in favor of the GC controller, so it would be like being a hypocrite if he saw me using it, haha. But mostly I don't used wireless controllers since I abandoned them after the start of Brawl when interference or batteries cost me some matches in tournaments. I should be fine as long as I cut back on playing in all the events.
Heard Salem might not be down next Friday due to Kumoricon, so big weekly will probably be pushed back another week. A good start into September :^)

Top Bottom