• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Keet CO - Advance Wars' Andy for SSB4

Which series icon seems better to represent Advance Wars?

• Orange Star's insignia

Votes: 15 13.8%
  • Advance War series' wrench

Votes: 94 86.2%

• Total voters

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
Here is my moveset for Andy.

Andy has a CO meter that builds as he lands successful hits and gets hit himself. It is incremented like in AW2, with a notch at 50%. The CO meter has 3 purposes.

- When the meter builds to 50% Andy gains 5% damage increase, at 100% he gains a 10% damage increase, it is very difficult to maintain 100%

- CO meter is spent by holding B while performing specials to increase their efficiency/effect.

- CO meter can also be spent to instantly charge smash attacks.

Neutral Special - Mech Shot - Andy pulls a large shoulder-mounted cannon like mechs have when firing on vehicles. It shoots a large bullet-shaped shot that travels a speed/distance based on how long it is charged (using COmeter). Hitting people with the cannon while pulling it out causes low damage and decent lateral-knockback.

Forward Special - Air Strike - Andy points up into the sky while lifting one foot up in the air. You can hold B to make him hold this pose and spend more COmeter. When released, he steps far forward and points, and miniature bomber appears about head-height and flies forward, dropping a bomb every so often. Bombs increase in strength and bomber travels further the more COmeter you spend.

This can be done in the air, in which case, Andy grabs a long-rope ladder on a Fighter, which flies quickly forward. The fighter has 1 single shot that can be used by pressing B again. Charging with COmeter lets you angle the flight and increase speed.

Down Special - Tank Support - Not usable in the air. When used on the ground, a Sm. Tank appears directly behind Andy. Andy backflips to where the tank was (as it disappears) and the tank shoots an explosive shot into the ground slightly in front of where Andy was standing. The longer you hold B and spend COmeter, the stronger the shot becomes, at 50% charged it becomes a Med. Tank, and at 100% it becomes a Neo. Tank.

Up Special - Air Lift - A transport copter appear above Andy and he grabs a rope-ladder hanging from it. It works basically like snake's cypher. Hold B to travel more quickly and further while spending COmeter.

Jab Combo - Wrenches - Andy does a 1-2-3 type strike with his dual-wrenches, with the last strike having decent knockback

Forward-Tilt - Shiek-like spin-kick

Up-Tilt - Waves wrenches overhead, cross between links upsmash and dk's uptilt (sorta I guess)

Down-Tilt - Does a tripping-like kick

While charging a smash, you may instantly charge it to 100% by pressing B (which simultaneously releases the attack), this spends 50% of your COmeter, decreased by the amount you've already charged it. If you press B with not enough COmeter though, your attack will fizzle and leave you open to attack momentarily.

Forward Smash - Swings a massive pipe-wrench like a homerun bat

Up Smash - Andy chucks his wrenches one at a time, with the second one having more knockback. The more you charge it the higher they fly.

Down Smash - Andy does a quick breakdance-style kick that can catch people (like peaches/pikachus downsmashes)

Grab, grabs people by the front of shirt with both hands (wrenches in hand)

Pummel is a wrench to head strike

Undecided on up/forward/back throws, down throw HAS to be the famous infantry-capture stomp! Very chainable at low%.

Neutral Air - Kirby like spin

Up Air - Swipes wrenches (2 hits)

Down Air - Infantry Stomp - very powerful meteor smash

Forward Air - Spinning high kick

Back Air - Spinning roundhouse kick

All taunts are cheesy catchphrases and goofy poses.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Okay, I set myself a challenge of making a move set where Andy doesn't do any of the actual fighting, instead commanding other units for literally everything... let's see if it works!

Jab - Infantry Fire
Summons infantry to fire a burst in front of him, shortish range. Summons 3-5 based on the number of cities on the battlefield.

Dash- APC Ride
Makes a small APC which he rides on top of crashing into anything in his way.

FTilt - Mech Squad
Much like the infantry fire summons Mechs to fire rockets, these rocket travel farther and explode, but are slower projectiles and take longer to fire. 3-5.

UTilt - Anti-Air
Builds AA guns to fire at a 45 degree angle in front and up, infantry like range but better knockback. 3-5.

DTilt - Infantry Capture
Summons an Infantry who jump up and down infront of Andy. Uses on edge can meteor smash much like Luigi's taunt.

FSmash - Artillery Bombard
Builds artillery that fires forwards a good distance. Can be angled while charging. 3-5

USmash - Missile Launch
Builds Missiles that fire directly upwards. The missiles explode a set-distance up if they don't hit anything. 3-5

DSmash - City Grow
An infantry jumps and up pops a small City with hitboxes as it rises, it gorws larger than it becomes as it shrinks back to a little smaller than Kirby.
Standing in the city slowly heals Andy and any units, and increases the number of units that are built with Andy's various attacks, increasing his damage.
Cities can be destroyed with normal attacks and are fairly low in HP. You can have two cities at a time.

NAir - Battle Copter
Builds 3-5 battle copters that hover around for a short time firing in various directions before quickly running out of fuel.

FAir - Fighter Squadron
Build 3-5 fighters that fly forwards and fire missiles, there's a significant dead zone between the fighters flying off and firing where they break if they hit someone.

BAir - Rear Fighters
The same as Fair but to back.

UAir - Copter Take-Off
3-5 Battle copters fly upwards damaging with their propeller blades, taking the enemy up with them.

DAir - Bomb Drop
Builds a Bomber that drops 3-5 bombs, based on the number of cities, one after another, exploding if it hits anything below.

Grab - Shored Lander
Creates a lander that the enemy gets stuck half inside... I don't know, how else would he grab anyone?!

Pummel - The Lander Shakes?
UThrow - Builds a Sub that pops out from underneath the Lander and a Cruiser that fir on it in the air.
FThrow - Builds a Battleship that fires on the Lander launching the opponent forwards.
BThrow - Same but from the other direction.
DThrow - A Submarine fires on the Lander and it sinks sliding the target forwards.
(god-dammit, how else am I getting naval units into this?!)

NB - Md Tank
Builds a tank that will move around and fire at things nearby, can build as many as you have cities.

UB - Transport Helicopter
Builds a Tansport copter and then grabs onto it as it flies upwards.

And that's where I ran out of ideas...

Anyone else got anything?

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I saw something about Nintendo picking up, "various Advance trademarks," a few days ago.

Is Advance Wars WiiU happening? Does this mean an AW newcomer is more likely now?

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Most Nintendo characters don't do any actual fighting... but yet, here they are.
Wii Fit Trainer and Villager don't do any fighting, but their moves are "joke" movesets. They aren't actually fighting anything, they're just dropping plants and doing exercises and stuff. Andy, I can't see having a moveset like that. I don't know how he would fit in to a combat environment like that.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
I have a few ideas for an Andy moveset. Here goes...

Ground Attacks:
Jab: A one two swipe with his wrenches. He transitions to a multi-hit wrench spin before smacking the opponent away.

Dash Attack: Spins with his wrenches, kinda like Link's dash attack with a battering item.

FTilt: A standard roundhouse like Mario's or C. Falcon's.

UTilt: An overhead swipe with a wrench.

DTilt: Swipes on the ground in front of him with a wrench or with his leg.

FSmash: Lugs a large monkey wrench in front of him horizontally.

USmash: Heaves the monkey wrench overhead OR Launches a mini-missile above his head. I feel like there's something obviously better and more creative I'm forgetting.

DSmash: Does a little hop, causing two small buildings to erupt on both sides while he does the capture salute pose from the games.

Air Attacks:
NAir: Spins in the air with his wrenches.

FAir: I honestly can't imagine anything outside of a sort of wrench swipe. =/

BAir: A back kick.

UAir: Perhaps a sort of helicopter blade gizmo that slices above him?

DAir: Drops a bombshell below.

Grabs:
Pummel: Smacks with a wrench.

FThrow: Straps the opponent to a Black Bomb which travels a short way before exploding.

BThrow: Flings the opponent behind him and has an artillery blast the opponent.

UThrow: Strap the opponent to a mini-missile and launches them upwards.

DThrow: Stomps on the opponent like the capture animation.

Specials:
Lots of ways he could go here. Considering that a lot of Advance Wars is effective resource management and capturing space, here's just one set I came up with to capture that feel.

Set 1:
Andy will start the match with (Number) small gears floating around him. Whenever he uses a special besides his neutral B, one of these gears is expended. Gears replenish over time. If one of those specials is used without a gear, it is much less effective.

Neutral Special: Capture Flag/Hyper Repair
-Andy plants an Orange Star flag next to him, creating a small field around it. The flag lasts for a short time or until it takes too much damage. While in this field, Andy's gears replenish faster and he takes slightly less damage. When his units give and take damage, his CO Power meter gradually fills. When full, he uses Hyper Repair instead, fixing his units and slightly reducing his damage percent.

Forward Special: Build Infantry/Mech/Tank/Some other land unit
-Andy expends a gear to summon a land unit to attack enemies in front of him. When Andy has no gears, this unit's stats are significantly lower.

Down Special: Build Indirect Unit
-Andy expends a gear to create an artillery unit that lobs shells a short distance at opponents. When Andy has no gears, it promptly explodes after lobbing a weaker shell.

Up Special: Build Air Unit
-Andy expends a gear to create a miniature BCopter/Fighter/Bomber/what have you and hangs off of the bottom of it, flying diagonally forwards and upwards. Afterwards Andy depoys a parachute while falling, and he can act out of it like Mr. Game and Watch. The air unit would fire its projectiles at some point. Don't really know when. When Andy has no gears the unit doesn't fly as far and explodes right after dropping Andy.

I'm not sure if the three units above would patrol an area or just advance forward and vanish like phantom knight or what. But I imagine his specials would definitely involve building the units of Advance Wars.

Final Smash Idea 1: Hyper Upgrade
-Andy becomes supercharged, building much stronger units with his special moves. (Tanks-> Mega or Neo Tanks, Fighter-> Stealth Fighter, ect)

Final Smash Idea 2: Mega Tank
-Andy hops into a Mega Tank, which essentially function like a Landmaster without the jet thrusters. Alternatively he could just drive across the map in one, clobbering everyone in his way.

Final Smash Idea 3: Covering Fire/Battleship cannons
-Andy radios in a missile strike/cannon barrage. Blah.

The specials might be a tad convoluted, but I'm sure the devs could make SOME kind of build and battle set for the kid. Here's hoping Wars gets a rep!

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
Nintendo is having a talk @ E3 about an unannounced 3DS game. My bet is ADVANCE WARS 3DS

ANDY CONFIRMED PLAYABLE IN SUPER SMASH BROS 4

YEEEEAAAAAH

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Nintendo is having a talk @ E3 about an unannounced 3DS game. My bet is ADVANCE WARS 3DS

YEEEEAAAAAH
As much as I'd hope it's Advance Wars, let's be honest with ourselves, the fact they're announcing this beforehand means the game is probably huge with a big following.

As far as current IPs go, Advance Wars is pretty niche. The closest I could think of is Metroid.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

YEEEEAAAAAH
It'll be a cold day in hell before Advance Wars gets a 90-minute exclusive presentation, sadly.

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
Now that Tingle has been confirmed to be an assist trophy, Andy my next wanted character. Add me on the support list, if you still edit that.

Edit: Also since Solid Snake is unlikely to return, one could see Andy copying his specials (in other words his replacement). But I do have his Andys a attacks involve wrenches.

Last edited:

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Now that Pac-Man is a walking Namco museum with all his sprite summoning, do you think that hurts Andy's chances, or that it actually bolsters the idea that he could bring out unit sprites?

Also, I guess i'll get signed too, I love me some Advance Wars reppage!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
You know, maybe this could help Andy...I mean think about it, now that Pac-Man is shown to be more of a summoning-type character, along with all the movesets you devoted fans of Nintendo's Wars games have made for Andy, combined with the current fact that (and this is just my belief) that we have NOT seen an Orange Star AT yet, like in Brawl, maybe our Orange Star CO still has a fighting chance.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I got Advance Wars on my Wii U and its a fun game. I have some mixed feeling about some things but overall I like it. If any Nintendo Wars characters should be playable in Smash I do think its Andy.

What I would really like to see is an Advance Wars stage. Somewhat of a scrolling screen going through a war zone. Tanks and various vehicles roll by shooting off their cannons. Some parts you'll see artillary in the back grounds and they'll shoot the forground. Then the you hear a familar whistling sound and a flashing sign saying "Incoming!" Then the vehicles that were on screen get blown up. You may hear a familiar whistling sound and the same sign would flash. Then a series of bomber bombs fall in a line across the screen. That would be an intense stage to play on.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Jesus, why haven't I been getting notifications for my own thread?

I'll be adding all of you who asked to the support list, right away!

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Say, if we WERE to get Andy in, what could they possibly use for an Advance Wars stage? All they would have to go off of are the actual combat backgrounds and the little pictures of each country's bases, which admittedly isn't a whole lot.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
So folks, we've gotten a decent number of movesets now, at a total of 7. I wish I could create a new poll, but I don't think I can. So I want to ask, which movesets do you think are the best concept for Andy were he a character?

Just an idea, I've seen other Andy sigs, you might want to add them to the OP
If you could post them here, I'll gladly do that.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I really hope there is a better Advance Wars representation this Smash Bros. and not just an AT made of sprite units.
And I would support the saga even more if the most likely character to become playable wasn't Andy, he is such a lil wiener. But Im positive in the end Sakurai will put out another amazing convincing character like with the Mii Fighters.
So, yay for Andy. But even more yay for Sami.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I really hope there is a better Advance Wars representation this Smash Bros. and not just an AT made of sprite units.
And I would support the saga even more if the most likely character to become playable wasn't Andy, he is such a lil wiener. But Im positive in the end Sakurai will put out another amazing convincing character like with the Mii Fighters.
So, yay for Andy. But even more yay for Sami.
If you wanted to support Sami, I don't know why you didn't just drop by Sami's thread instead. Calling him a wiener here of all places seems a little mean. :crying:

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
If you wanted to support Sami, I don't know why you didn't just drop by Sami's thread instead. Calling him a wiener here of all places seems a little mean. :crying:
By no means disrespect. And in a way, I support more Andy because I think he has the better chances. But I guess many people do come to insult poor Andy so I do apologize.
In a way, I think Andy would be the kind of character that people teases around because he is too short and kid-like (though everyone would look like a wimp if they were around Max). Probably he would be good friends with Little Mac.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
Today is supposedly the birthday of the famicom

Who knows, they might show a rep from the AWseries, since it was known as famicom wars

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Hmm, with the weapon decay making Robin our first ammo character, seems like that might be a good sign for any Andy movesets that uses ammo/unit funds. :D

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
How would you feel if Sakurai delivered a twist on Andy that made him into an engineer/toymaker? Hear me out.

Andy would use his wrench to create buildings straight from Advance Wars which would in turn create units, he wouldn't be a toymaker but it would kinda seem like it because the units would be smaller than him (like the infantry assist in brawl)

He could be like a turret/create your own assists character.

He could create:

HQ: Heals Andy over time if he stands next to it. The more enemies standing next to it the weaker the healing becomes.
Factory: Creates two land units to defend it from both sides until destroyed. Vulnerable from the air.
Airport: Creates three air units to defend it from above. Vulnerable from land attacks.
Port: Would probably be a custom move considering not every stage would have water. Largely undefended, but creates submarines that hide in the attached space of water and attack when an opponent falls into the water.

It's a bit half baked, but now I really want to see a character like this in smash Bros.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Add me to the list please, one of my favorite Nintendo games is AW
Haven't played 2 though.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Andy's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Andy's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:
I saw you asked the same thing in the Paper Mario thread, down to a copy-pasta. It's spam, but it's spam that actually contributes something! :laugh:

Andy would definitely be a Trickster, with possibility touches of Puppeteer inbetween. Being able to build bases and be a "toy-maker" with his units would certainly make him a fighter that fights indirectly for the most part before getting involved first-hand. He could possibly be a Ranger as well, considering the utility of his wrenches and the use Hyper Repair could give him to self-heal.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I saw you asked the same thing in the Paper Mario thread, down to a copy-pasta. It's spam, but it's spam that actually contributes something! :laugh:

Andy would definitely be a Trickster, with possibility touches of Puppeteer inbetween. Being able to build bases and be a "toy-maker" with his units would certainly make him a fighter that fights indirectly for the most part before getting involved first-hand. He could possibly be a Ranger as well, considering the utility of his wrenches and the use Hyper Repair could give him to self-heal.

Yeah....it does seem that way. I guess I like talking about Smash too much.

Top Bottom