• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Ooki Ooki~!" - Rhythm Monkey keeps the beat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord

Rhythm Monkey keeps the beat!

From the commercially and critically successful franchise Rhythm Heaven comes Rhythm Monkey, a Monkey eager to help you improve your rhythm through a variety of ways. He brings an assortment of Rhythm challenges from Rhythm Heaven to deliver mighty hits with clean rhythm and timing!

Why Rhythm Heaven?

Rhythm Heaven, first released in 2006 as the last Game Boy Advance title (Rhythm Tengoku) is a franchise developed by Nintendo and musician Tsunku, whose aim was to improve people’s Rhythm. As a result of the zany characters and easy to play mechanics covered in a variety of games, the game became a hit leading to the future release of Rhythm Heaven for the DS and Rhythm Heaven Fever for the Nintendo Wii. All games have been a complete success in Japan, and all have been localized to mild success in the west, making this one of the most successful Nintendo IPs of recent generations.

Additionally, in terms of moveset the use of a rhythm-based attack style is an idea that hasn’t been done yet, and it would help not only acknowledge Rhythm Heaven but also Nintendo’s numerous forays into the rhythm game genre.

Why Rhythm Monkey?

The main drawback to Rhythm Heaven receiving a playable rep is that the series as a whole doesn’t have one particular character that represents it, instead having a large group of characters, several of them appearing in various mini-games across all platforms. This leads to the conclusion of most being that the series is best represented as a stage, which is a solid claim given the Electroplankton stage in Brawl being based on a music game as well.

Nevertheless, given the success of the Rhythm Heaven series, a playable character is definitely a possibility. Several characters have been put forth as options, ranging from the comical and highly desired Wrestler to the more encompassing Rhythm Girl, as well as Karate Joe and Marshall.

The purpose of this thread is to bring attention to the Rhythm Monkey as a viable candidate (not necessarily above the others) for the following reasons:

- As a representative series: every game of the series has included at least one game in which Monkeys are an element. The last game in the series, in particular, had the Monkey appearing in more than one installment.

- Recognizability: Rhythm Monkey, particularly recently, has gotten acknowledgement from Nintendo as being a character in itself. For example, the Rhythm Monkey hat was added to Streetpass, placed next to the likes of the Ice Climbers hood and the Captain Falcon helmet. This is perhaps one of the more unique aspects about R. Monkey, as it implies that the Monkey could be seen in the future as a potential mascot for the series, something that would be solidified if he appeared in Smash.

- Design: Monkey shares an advantage with the other RH reps in that it has a simple, cartoonish design that would work fantastically for the more colorful and cartoonish Smash Bros. 4. Unlike others, it has the advantage of both diverse and extremely simple designs that would make his character an easy one to implement.

- Uniqueness: As mentioned above, no rhythm-based moveset has been attempted in Smash, and one would be definitely welcome. Given the idea of placing commands under specific tempos, the character would potentially work as a combo heavy character. Monkey, having been in various games, also benefits from a diverse potential movepool that can still include other iconic games from the series. More of this will be explained in the moveset I have prepared below.

Movesets

The moveset below is an example of Rhythm Monkey’s potential, and it revolves around the main mechanic of Monkey being a combo heavy character.​

Glaciacott's Moveset
Playstyle: Lightweight, medium speed. Monkey’s playstyle revolves around the proper timing of hits in a way that it creates strings of combos. As a result, most of his attacks have low knockback aside from his Smash attacks, which are slow when used on their own, but are unavoidable if a combo chain leads into them.

Due to the nature of the character relying on combos, it’s difficult to DI out of his attacks, and his specials revolve around controlling space (and timing! More on that onwards) in order to exploit openings in the opponent. But before the specials

Perfects/Flow

As shown by Little Mac, it’s possible to think outside of the box, so here’s a shot at it. When playing as Monkey, you’ll notice a familiar symbol above your damage counter:

This P, to those familiar with Rhythm Heaven, remains on the screen as long as the player maintains perfect rhythm. Once a mistake takes place, the P breaks and disappears.

When you play as Monkey, you start with the P on your damage counter. The P will start to blink as you deliver hits, keeping a count of the beats of your hits. It’s activated once you connect three hits and increases the damage output of each hit culminating in a Smash attack at the end. Once you reach the Smash attack, the symbol won’t start blinking again until a combo takes place again. However, mis-time an attack or the Smash at the end, and the P will disappear and damage will go back to normal. Monkey doesn’t have a lot of power, so he requires proper timing to really send opponents packing!

(Alternative: Another way of getting this to work in a more quantifiable way is to take the “Flow” number from the RH series and keep it above the damage counter to keep track of your combo flow, to decrease or increase damage output considerably.)

Special moves

Standard Special: Ball Toss – Based on Hole in One and Exhibition Match

If on the ground, Monkey lobs a golf ball. It makes an arc, bounces once, and disappears at the zenith of the second arc. This attack is best used to protect Monkey from strong aerial fighters when he’s on the ground. You can throw three balls quickly as well.

If on the air, Monkey throws the ball down instead of lobbing it, in the same way he throws the baseball in Exhibition Match. It will disappear after bouncing once as well, but you can’t throw them as quickly.

Side Special: Mandrill Roll – Based on Hole in One

Monkey learned from Mandrill an alternative way to throw golf balls: by rolling them quickly on the ground. This move is very fast, but it lacks in range. Instead of knockback, it stops opponents in their tracks, making it a solid move for preventing ground approaches from opponents and opening them up for combos.

Up Special: Hot-Air Balloon – Based on Monkey Watch

Monkey climbs in a hot air balloon to quickly go up at an acute upwards angle. This is a particularly defensive recovery in that it doesn’t damage opponents. However, the balloon protects Monkey from attacks from above, and if opponents touch the balloon itself they’ll find that while it’s harmless, it’s rather bouncy and can knock them back. Think of the effect of a spring in Brawl, but considerably less knockback.

Expert Rhythm Monkey players are known for gimping the recovery of their opponents by using their balloon to bounce back enemies away from the stage.

The basket that holds the Monkey IS still vulnerable to attack however, so if you can attack Monkey from below, you’ll be safe to do so!

Down Special: Refresh – Based on Tambourine

An arc of Flowers and a look of utter joy happen upon Monkey’s face as he gains invincibility frames while also resetting the Perfect icon above it’s damage counter. That way, if you messed up your timing and find yourself able to perform this move, you’ll have a second chance at going for a perfect combo. Without this perfect, your damage won’t rise during combos, so don’t forget to refresh Monkey every now and then!

Standard Attacks (WIP)

Jab (1 - 1 - 1 ) : High Five - Based on Monkey Watch

A simple high five that slaps the opponent

Dash: Slice – Based on Samurai Slice

Borrowing the katana from Samurai, Monkey makes a quick slice that damages the opponent.

F-Tilt: Ping Pong Paddle – Based on Rhythm Rally

Monkey smacks the opponent with a Ping Pong Paddle. Like the fan item, it draws enemies close, but cannot be repeated at the same speeds as the fan.

D-Tilt: Tap – Based on Tap Dance

Taps the floor in front with one foot.

U-Tilt: Clap – Based on Clappy Trio and Fan Club

Does a clap above its head as well as a pose. Has small upwards knockback to keep the opponent in place above you.

Forward Smash: Fork – Based on Fork Lifter and Doctor Bacteria

Quickly stabs in front of him with a fork. High damage and knockback, particularly if as the finisher of a perfect combo.

Down Smash: Tap Tap Tap – Based on Tap Dance

Taps the floor quickly three times while raising his hands above his head and saying “ooki!”

Up Smash: Jump Tap – Based on Tap Dance

Monkey jumps high, lands in both feet then makes a graceful pose. Both the jump and the impact from landing have a knockback effect. High damage output and knockback if finishing a perfect combo.

Grab: Tambourine – Based on Tambourine

Grabs the opponent with one hand and smacks him like a tambourine

- Back throw: Love Lab

Shakes the enemy like a potion and throws it upwards behind him.

- Down throw: Crop Stomp

Stomps the user on the ground, sending them up, before smacking them back

- Up throw: OK, it’s ON! – Based on Cheer Readers

Holds the user above his head, flipping them around like a book for damage, before launching them upwards. “Ok, it’s on!” is heard as part of the move.

- Forward Throw: Karate Combo - Based on Karate Man

Throws a flurry of punches in the stance of Karate Joe, sending the enemy flying forward.

(still working on aerials and final smash)

Entrance:

- Enters with popping balloons (Based on Night Walk)

- Bird flies in with Monkey and drops him off (Based on Bird March)

Taunts:

- Frog lands on his head and he makes a disgusted face. (Based on Tambourine)

- Monkey poses for the fans. (Based on Ringside)

- Does a DJ scratch while wearing headphones. (Based on DJ School)

Palette Swaps:
Courtesy of Hippopotasauce:

Other Rhythm Heaven Character support threads:
Rhythm girl
Karate Joe
Marshal
Wrestler & Reporter

Supporters
Glaciacott
Drazile
Hippopotasauce
R.O.B.
SuperBrawler
RadRedi
Mega Hawlucha

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
why is this thread only now getting made? I can see this happening.

although it's really up in the air what rhythm heaven character Sakurai would go with, my money is on this or Marshal.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Outstanding, I love the introduction paragraphs. Moveset's also great, the timing/rhythm gimmick was well pulled off. Down B is real creative.
One thing I've thought about for this timing thing though. In order for it to work, the moves would have to have virtually no startup lag. I'm not sure how you'd balance that so that it isn't incredibly overpowered, but adding some endlag to fix that wouldn't be a problem I don't think. I have no knowledge on how balance actually works though.
Also, I love how four unique movesets have been made drawing inspiration from the Rhythm Heaven minigames alone. Really shows that there's some untapped potential there.

Also I'll probably end up doing those alt costumes for you.
Edit: Easy enough, but not the best quality

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Outstanding, I love the introduction paragraphs. Moveset's also great, the timing/rhythm gimmick was well pulled off. Down B is real creative.
One thing I've thought about for this timing thing though. In order for it to work, the moves would have to have virtually no startup lag. I'm not sure how you'd balance that so that it isn't incredibly overpowered, but adding some endlag to fix that wouldn't be a problem I don't think. I have no knowledge on how balance actually works though.
Also, I love how four unique movesets have been made drawing inspiration from the Rhythm Heaven minigames alone. Really shows that there's some untapped potential there.

Wow, these are phenomenal. I'll go ahead and add them to the opening!

Drazile

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3797-5765-7295

There isn't one that looks like the image at the top of the thread though...

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I didn't know about the streetpass hat, that is pretty cool. Also a cool rendition of the rhythm gimmick, and nice recolors! They are adorable. The RH monkeys are very recognizable, even if they are almost a "generic" character in the series.

(Also your opening gave me an idea....)

D

Deleted member

If Wrestler isn't the token RH character, Rhythm Monkey is my 2nd choice.
Followed by "Rhythm Girl".

Drazile

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3797-5765-7295
Well, I support. It's a Rhythm Heaven character, so WHY WOULDN'T I
*sees profile page*

Last edited:

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I think it's safe to say that anyone that wants a Rhythm Heaven character is in support of the monkey too, so add me to the support list.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Diddy Kong does need a playmate, so I support this adorable simian. As much as I love Rhythm Heaven, there are various options to choice from. This little guy and the rest of his musical buddies.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
I thought I'd revive this thread because I bought Rhythm Heaven Fever recently and absolutely love the idea of a RH character being in Smash Bros. I've been a passive supporter of the Wrestler for a while, but I honestly would love to see the Rhythm Monkey make it in.

Honestly, I was contemplating making my own Rhythm Monkey thread, but since Glaciacott beat me to the punch, add me as a supporter!

Now, one thing I was thinking about was how incorporating rhythm would work. I like the idea of using the Perfect P, but something I haven't really heard too many other people talk about is the possibility of making the stages background music the source of potential rhythm. So, if you attack to the rhythm of the stage's music, your attack power gets boosted. I think that'd be interesting.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Interesting in theory but in practice I can't see it being done. It's one of the first things that I disregarded when the idea of a Rhythm Heaven character became a want of mine.

But I don't know, they could pull it off.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I love him. Way better than Karate Joe, Vagina, or Uglymask. Definitely on par with the Chorus Kids.

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
I'm going to throw my support for Rhythm Monkey. Rhythm Heaven getting a playable rep would easily be one of the most unique characters in the game. And I'm in favor of the monkey over Chorus Men.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Rhythm Girl is something I think is most likely, would be best for representing Rhythm Heaven, and would also be the best received of the possible characters.

Inside I still want Karate Joe the most though.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
I support because Rhythm Heaven. Since everybody appears to be on the subject of favorite and least favorite RH reps I think you all already know who my favorite would be (Marshal). Rhythm Girl is not far behind. My least favorite admittedly would probably be Wrestler.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
I'm fine with any playable RH representation, honestly. I don't know much about Rhythm Girl, but Wrestler, Karate Joe, Rhythm Monkey, Chorus Men, and Marshall are all at about an equal level, for me.

I simply find it easiest to rally behind Monkey because of how many games contained him in Fever, as well as the fact that, out of every possible RH character, Monkey was selected as a Streetpass Hat.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys, Rhythm Monkey's moveset. Do we have one yet? Also, I hope no one minds me adding this, but I guess over time I've been so attached to Rhythm Monkey and his cuteness, that I gave him a pet name. How does "Beat" sound to you all? I figured I'd give him the name "Beat" since it kind of ties in with the whole rhythm gimmick of Rhythm Heaven, you know?

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Hey guys, Rhythm Monkey's moveset. Do we have one yet? Also, I hope no one minds me adding this, but I guess over time I've been so attached to Rhythm Monkey and his cuteness, that I gave him a pet name. How does "Beat" sound to you all? I figured I'd give him the name "Beat" since it kind of ties in with the whole rhythm gimmick of Rhythm Heaven, you know?
Beat Beats in!

Yea, sure, it could work xD
And I did make a[n incomplete] moveset that's on the OP. If you have one in mind feel free to make it and I'll add it!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys! Wanted to give this thread a bump. Also, I've been looking at Beat (my pet name for Rhythm Monkey) a bit more, and somehow, I find it only fitting that he should still keep his "rhythm gimmick" of fighting, but at the same time, he should basically be a seriously buffed-up Pichu. Judging from his appearance, he should be very light, but strong enough to keep others at bay. I know, Pichu wasn't exactly the "perfect fighter" of Melee, (Actually, quite far from it.) all I'm saying is, by looking at his appearance, he should be as small as him, and just as nimble, but keep a lot strength under his belt. (or......fur. Whichever comes first, you know.:lol:)

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I definitely see him as small and relatively weak, but due to the necessary speed of his attacks (to make rhythm gimmicks work you'd need very little input lag) he could easily rack up damage.

Actually, I've grown concerned recently about how viable a rhythm moveset would be on 3DS/Wi-fi, since lag could tremendously affect timing. Hopefully it's not as severe as Brawl's at the least.

OH, and nice bump! I feel like Monkey's chances shot up from non-existent to very unlikely thanks to Robin destroying our perception of Gematsu. Woohoo!

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
You know how everyone brought up the cameo in Game & Wario for the Chorus Men being a sign that they are popular enough for inclusion? I found out the monkeys had a cameo in Warioware: Smooth Moves before anyone else got a cameo appearance (I believe.)
Not that it really matters that much as I don't see cameos as helping too much, but just thought it was interesting.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
You know how everyone brought up the cameo in Game & Wario for the Chorus Men being a sign that they are popular enough for inclusion? I found out the monkeys had a cameo in Warioware: Smooth Moves before anyone else got a cameo appearance (I believe.)
Not that it really matters that much as I don't see cameos as helping too much, but just thought it was interesting.
Nice! I should get that game, haven't played it in so long.

Btw, they're also in the same exact cameo as the Chorus Kids

Marakatu

Smash Ace
They also appear in the Young Cricket's intro. (see 1:00)

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I was wondering about Rhythm Monkey's moveset. According to this list how would it be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I was wondering about Rhythm Monkey's moveset. According to this list how would it be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:
Definitely a Speedster with Trickster properties. But I'll make this short. Basically, with the help of his rhythm gimmick, Beat (my pet name for the Rhythm Monkey) would basically be Pichu (without the "self-damaging" gimmick) with way more Trickster properties and abilities, so he'd mostly fare well on defending himself, and just like Pichu, he would be able to avoid (most) attacks with his very small stature.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Definitely a Speedster with Trickster properties. But I'll make this short. Basically, with the help of his rhythm gimmick, Beat (my pet name for the Rhythm Monkey) would basically be Pichu (without the "self-damaging" gimmick) with way more Trickster properties and abilities, so he'd mostly fare well on defending himself, and just like Pichu, he would be able to avoid (most) attacks with his very small stature.
How would Rhythm Monkey take on characters like :4tlink:?

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Guess who's series just turned 8 yesterday? (Rhythm Monkey's did!) Who thinks any RH content might be shown off soon/next? At the very least I have a feeling the monkeys will appear in some form in smash. They are too iconic to the series.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Guess who's series just turned 8 yesterday? (Rhythm Monkey's did!) Who thinks any RH content might be shown off soon/next? At the very least I have a feeling the monkeys will appear in some form in smash. They are too iconic to the series.
The recent wave of deconfirms (Takamaru, Sable) has me kind of on edge

BUT, I'm getting the feeling that the lack of Rhythm Heaven mentions might be a good sign. It's like he's waiting for the newcomer character reveal to show us Rhythm Heaven stuff. It's also a new month, possibly there could be a direct, or Sakurai might want to show a video.
Next week is where I place my hopes.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Well being an assist or stage element isn't that bad. It's still better than a sticker.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I'm just anxious to see the fate of the series. If all it gets is an assist and a smash run enemy then just let out with it already.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Well being an assist or stage element isn't that bad. It's still better than a sticker.
On that note, what sort of assists would you guys like to see?

The ones I'd personally like:

Tengoku:
- Air batter: appears with the pot and bats baseballs at your opponents.
- Magician: flies around the stage dropping seeds, then flies over them and turns them into flowers that damage opponents.
- Fireworks: exactly that. Timed firework explosions happen around the stage.

Gold:
- Shoot 'em up: timed shots from the blastronauts
- Blue birds: they peck the ground where they appear
- Stomp farmer: goes around the stage stomping and launching opponents up. I'd prefer this as a move for a character, but if not an AT would be cool too.

Fever:
- Seesaw: the seesaw testers appear and do their routine. When they fall hard and explode into spikes they deal considerable damage.
- Samurai Slice: black hole appears on the stage and monsters emerge.
- Launch Party: blocks with rockets appear, when the timer goes down they shoot up super fast. If you happen to be above one of them you go flying as well.
- Manzai Birds: Oh man, I love this side game. When the big bird goes overboard, watch out for the scream of the black bird.

And of course, this is all assuming certain games would appear as movesets (Scratch-o!, Widgets, Clappy Trio) and that the desired characters still have a shot at being playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom