• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Only three newcomers left...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
If Ridley is indeed playable, he WILL get a trailer.
Bowser Jr is def getting a Trailer and so is DHD.

There are two trailers left, maybe three. Not all need to happen before the Japan release.

Hell to hype the Wii U version I can see them doing a few trailers and cutscenes that include other characters and such. Dedede hasn't been in one yet, be great to see him in something

Last edited:

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
I think we have two to three trailers left personally.

If we have two, I could see DHD, Dr Mario and Bowser JR all being revealed in one. (Perhaps both DHD and JR are in a hospital after a brawl or something.)

If Mewtwo and Ridley are in the game, perhaps the last reveal could have an epic confrontation between the two.

If it happens that we have three left, then I could see it going:

1. Ridley reveal alongside Samus.
2. DHD or JR reveal.
3. Mewtwo revealed alongside characters from another series.

Some of these could intertwine with each other and some characters may just be secret unlockables.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
6 unseen characters (not including leak). Why? Well as stated before all-star mode was locked in the leaks, and the roster has space for 6 more characters and Sakuri would probably want to fill up the black space. Whether the 6 characters are DLC or unlockables, I really don't mind.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
To be honest, I don't really like the roster in the leak, I don't want to deny it as before, but to me and probably mist of you guys this roster is not good.
Here are my confessions and thoughts about the leaked newcomers:
-I like Shulk to be in Smash Bros, don't get me wrong, and he was also the only leaked character that doesn't cut down the hype. One more point for the Gematsu leak too.
-Dr.Mario and Pit as an individual character I think is something that all people can not accept. Why don't Sakurai put them as alt costumes? It is good for everybody.
-Here is the most problem here, Bowser Jr.(BJ) and Duck Hunt Dog(DHD), every time I comment that BJ and DHD shouldn't be in Smash Bros, they all said BJ is a fan favorite and highly requested Mario character, or DHD saved the game industry............... but really, BJ I think he fits better for an assist trophy( I know most if you guys might say: there are too many Mario assist trophy already!, but what about playable characters? Don't you think that having 6 or maybe 7 Mario rep is too much?)
DHD adds in is OK if they also add Ice Climbers, but they didn't! I don't get it why they cut IC for DHD, IC at least they are cute, have weapons, and ALSO saved the game industry too.( And do you think that having three NES reps is too much? Be sure to explain when you reply!)

For having so many argument of this roster and some newcomersI might think of starting thread for trying to explain of the stupidity of this roster.

Last edited:

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
The biggest problem of this rooster that...
They revelead ther best newcomers..
Because Dr. Mario and Dark Pit they act better as a Alt. costume, Heck even Dark Pit was just a palette swap and Dr. Mario was even Alt. costume in project M, and Project M is a mob, a fu#@#$$% MOB, then watch smash 4, Official from nintendo and we get Dr. Mario as a fully clone character wasting a slot. I really prefer Paper Mario, because the Dr. and Pitoo is lowering my hype. I hope Pitoo is not a clone because Dark Pit can use many weapons like Pit.

Bowser jr. was really out nowhere, it was very requested but since Rosaluma, I was sure that were not getting Bowser Jr. But nope, we got him in the most akward moveset than the Wii Fit Trainer, is really fuc##$%@ weird... I prefer he use the paintbrush...
Duck hunt was a really Ok choice, is weird and stuped just like Mr. Game and Watch and R.O.B and those guys were awsome so its welcome with open arms. so I really happy is in. But really, where the fack are the Ice climbers.

Is the leaker would unlock All star mode, it could leak gameplay of it and including the rest area of All star mode in Smash 4. but he din't... Soo that really not the final rooster.............???

Two Big Guys For You

Smash Cadet
There were a few empty slots on the select screen left, and Ivysaur, Squirtle, and Snake are the only ones we know for sure are likely cut. Lucas, Wolf, who else?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
"Only"? What did people expect, 60 characters? :p

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I would be a lot happier with at least 60 characters to be honest, yeah.

(I'm spoiled from Marvel vs. Capcom 2...)
Eh, the more is not always the merrier to me. We shouldn't forget the potential the potential downloadable characters to come.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Eh, the more is not always the merrier to me. We shouldn't forget the potential the potential downloadable characters to come.
Everybody assumes DLC will be a thing but we don't actually have any proof the game's going to have it. The guy from the most recent leak said he was lying about the fact that Smash 4 will have DLC, didn't he?

I just wish Nintendo would make the game more about us and not about them. Having been on the hype train for the past year now and watching the roster and stuff revealed bit by bit, Sakurai's dev choices really give off the impression that he cares more about surprises than he does about giving people what they actually want. I guess I just wish Nintendo would just stop playing games and make a game with a nice big roster, with the characters people have been clamoring for, and *then* throw in a few curveballs if they want. A big roster is the only way to make everybody happy and ensure high quality at the same time. And I worry, that because of the choice to keep the roster relatively small, there will be many many fans left extremely disappointed like what happened in the Brawl days. I dislike seeing unhappy players especially when there's no real apparent reason for it other than hubris. *sigh* :(

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Everybody assumes DLC will be a thing but we don't actually have any proof the game's going to have it. The guy from the most recent leak said he was lying about the fact that Smash 4 will have DLC, didn't he?

I just wish Nintendo would make the game more about us and not about them. Having been on the hype train for the past year now and watching the roster and stuff revealed bit by bit, Sakurai's dev choices really give off the impression that he cares more about surprises than he does about giving people what they actually want. I guess I just wish Nintendo would just stop playing games and make a game with a nice big roster, with the characters people have been clamoring for, and *then* throw in a few curveballs if they want. A big roster is the only way to make everybody happy and ensure high quality at the same time. And I worry, that because of the choice to keep the roster relatively small, there will be many many fans left extremely disappointed like what happened in the Brawl days. I dislike seeing unhappy players especially when there's no real apparent reason for it other than hubris. *sigh* :(
Especially a leak that is real ruined everything, I want something to be secret before the release.

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I don't think we'll have any more newcomers revealed before release but I think there is one non-clone newcomer we haven't seen yet, maybe two. Two unique secret newcomers sounds way too low if characters like Shulk of all people can be revealed pre-release.

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
I personally feel like Smash will have DLC of one form or another, despite what Sakurai says.

If Mario Kart 8 is getting DLC, I'm suspecting that Smash is going to get it as well. Wouldn't be surprised if the new 3DS plays into it in some way either. Might make more DLC possible somehow, since Xenoblade Chronicles is going to appear on New 3DS which is required to play it due to it have a faster CPU and twice the ram as the older 3DS models. (Including the thing for Amiibo's on it.)

Last edited:

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491

First off, DLC could still be a thing. People fake leaked MK8 DLC and now we're getting real DLC.

Second, you're not considering anything about the actual development. It's not like they purposely don't add characters. I mean, you realize tons of people wanted Little Mac, Rosalina, Bowser Jr., an Animal Crossing vet, Lucina/Robin, Palutena, Mega Man, Pac-Man and even Dark Pit, right? And people wanted Shulk too.

The only oddballs were Wii Fit Trainer & Duck Hunt Dog. Everyone else was a highly requested character.

Brawl already proved that tons of characters get considered, then cut or not implemented for one reason or another. I mean, at least 9 characters, probably more, were confirmed to be planned for Brawl at one point that didn't make it. The reason characters don't make it has a lot to do with time, difficulty in developing them or their movesets and making them actually enjoyable to play. Then factor in balancing 50+ characters and so on.

It's not like Sakurai purposely shafts the 'hype 3' or Isaac or characters that became Assist Trophies instead. He either had no ideas yet, had no time or they weren't a good fit yet. Simple as that. Just like Lucas & Wolf not getting added to Melee.

SSB has always been about fans. Fans of Nintendo. Not loud and specific character fanbases that don't represent the whole. Believe it or not, not everyone cares/wants Ridley, not everyone likes DKC/wants K.Rool or Dixie, and not everyone sees a reason to revive Mewtwo or add more Pokemon.

This roster is very much for fans, outside of cuts, and it covers a lot of bases. And it's not relatively small. We have a fighting game with nearly 50 Nintendo characters, containing 16 characters who were not in Brawl. The only fighters that really rival that are like, DBZ games and MvC2.

Fans aren't disappointed because of something Sakurai did, but becuse they had unrealistic expectations that they take out on Sakurai.

Anyone honesly disappointed was dreaming too big for a roster full of villains, one-offs and obscure-ass characters.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
First off, DLC could still be a thing. People fake leaked MK8 DLC and now we're getting real DLC.

Second, you're not considering anything about the actual development. It's not like they purposely don't add characters. I mean, you realize tons of people wanted Little Mac, Rosalina, Bowser Jr., an Animal Crossing vet, Lucina/Robin, Palutena, Mega Man, Pac-Man and even Dark Pit, right? And people wanted Shulk too.

The only oddballs were Wii Fit Trainer & Duck Hunt Dog. Everyone else was a highly requested character.

Brawl already proved that tons of characters get considered, then cut or not implemented for one reason or another. I mean, at least 9 characters, probably more, were confirmed to be planned for Brawl at one point that didn't make it. The reason characters don't make it has a lot to do with time, difficulty in developing them or their movesets and making them actually enjoyable to play. Then factor in balancing 50+ characters and so on.

It's not like Sakurai purposely shafts the 'hype 3' or Isaac or characters that became Assist Trophies instead. He either had no ideas yet, had no time or they weren't a good fit yet. Simple as that. Just like Lucas & Wolf not getting added to Melee.

SSB has always been about fans. Fans of Nintendo. Not loud and specific character fanbases that don't represent the whole. Believe it or not, not everyone cares/wants Ridley, not everyone likes DKC/wants K.Rool or Dixie, and not everyone sees a reason to revive Mewtwo or add more Pokemon.

This roster is very much for fans, outside of cuts, and it covers a lot of bases. And it's not relatively small. We have a fighting game with nearly 50 Nintendo characters, containing 16 characters who were not in Brawl. The only fighters that really rival that are like, DBZ games and MvC2.

Fans aren't disappointed because of something Sakurai did, but becuse they had unrealistic expectations that they take out on Sakurai.

Anyone honesly disappointed was dreaming too big for a roster full of villains, one-offs and obscure-*** characters.
One thing that is bad to us these days are the leaks, the recent one is the one that I mist hate, not to mention the odd roster, it cuts down the hype, do I even need to explain this again? Sakurai did a good job for keeping secrets, now I feel down because the spoil video.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Smash Bros. has never really been about fans, I don't know what you're talking about. Highly requested characters rarely make it in as playable, instead we see characters that are important to Nintendo already in some way... In fact, most of this game has gone out of its way to give us characters that we didn't ask for. What it's always been about isn't fans, it's representation and importance. Particularly as a retrospective on the previous generation. Here, these are first party franchises that came out in the last generation that were important to Nintendo in some way and a character to represent them...

NSMB series - Bowser Jr.
Super Mario Galaxy - Rosalina
Wii Fit - Wii Fit Trainer
Punch-Out Wii - Little Mac
Xenoblade - Shulk
Kid Icarus Uprising - Palutena and Dark Pit
Fire Emblem Awakening - Robin and Lucina

See? These are all franchises with games after Brawl that were signifcant, and few of them were the characters fans were begging for (if it wasn't for Punch Out on Wii, we wouldn't have Little Mac). What's sadder even is that Donkey Kong Country Returns falls into that timeframe but it unfortunately didn't feature Dixie or K. Rool, so it wouldn't make sense to add them to represent that game... And I'm afraid Tropical Freeze is just too recent. And then we have the obligatory retro character with the Duck Hunt dog, and I for one know that he didn't have a large fan following.

Fans do not matter as much as you think they do.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Smash Bros. has never really been about fans, I don't know what you're talking about. Highly requested characters rarely make it in as playable, instead we see characters that are important to Nintendo already in some way... In fact, most of this game has gone out of its way to give us characters that we didn't ask for. What it's always been about isn't fans, it's representation and importance. Particularly as a retrospective on the previous generation. Here, these are first party franchises that came out in the last generation that were important to Nintendo in some way and a character to represent them...

NSMB series - Bowser Jr.
Xenoblade - Shulk

See? These are all franchises with games after Brawl that were signifcant, and few of them were the characters fans were begging for (if it wasn't for Punch Out on Wii, we wouldn't have Little Mac). What's sadder even is that Donkey Kong Country Returns falls into that timeframe but it unfortunately didn't feature Dixie or K. Rool, so it wouldn't make sense to add them to represent that game... And I'm afraid Tropical Freeze is just too recent. And then we have the obligatory retro character with the Duck Hunt dog, and I for one know that he didn't have a large fan following.

Wouldn't the main reason those games are considered important by Nintendo is because of how well received they were by fans? Do you think Shulk would of had a chance in hell if Xenoblade flopped just like Golden Sun Dark Dawn which also released around the same time frame as the rest of these games. I agree that Donkey Kong being ignored is a major oversight by Sakurai but aside from that Sakurai has done an excellent job with the newcomers both in terms of appealing to fans and in terms of interesting new movesets.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Wouldn't the main reason those games are considered important by Nintendo is because of how well received they were by fans? Do you think Shulk would of had a chance in hell if Xenoblade flopped just like Golden Sun Dark Dawn which also released around the same time frame as the rest of these games. I agree that Donkey Kong being ignored is a major oversight by Sakurai but aside from that Sakurai has done an excellent job with the newcomers both in terms of appealing to fans and in terms of interesting new movesets.
Golden Sun isn't first party, Xenoblade is, and I do think that makes a difference, yes. Nintendo prioritizes their first party games, and even though Xenoblade was completely off the radar in North America, it did do well in Japan. And Monolith has been a great asset to Nintendo recently, even for Smash.

Importance by Nintendo I think has more to do with how successful a game or franchise is, and that doesn't necessarily equate to how popular something is, it may just mean sales. But even then, first party trumps that, just look at Steel Diver, it got its own dang weapon, you don't see second party franchise weapons showing up, Steel Diver is first party, it gets priority. I don't think fans, or popularity, or polls have as much sway as many people want to believe.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace

NSMB series - Bowser Jr.
Xenoblade - Shulk

I know. That's what upsets me. :( They've done all of that while forgetting that the most important part of their business (and the most important part of gaming) is their customer base, and what appeals to the fans plays a large role in dictating what becomes important or relevant in a gaming history context. We're the ones who buy their games, we're the ones whose money greases the gears. Without us there'd be no gaming industry. And yet we're treated like and expected to see ourselves as consumers, mindless scavengers on the bottom of the ocean floor who must take what they are given and that's not right at all. It's what leads to abuses like Day 1 DLCs and the like. It's a huge problem with gaming in general.

EDIT: I suppose others here will argue that gaming companies have the right to do whatever they want and we as fans do have to put up with it but that attitude is flat-out wrong and helps makes games crappier and crappier and crappier. You do have a say in the things that you buy -- it's your money, isn't it? Isn't that how capitalism is supposed to work?

Last edited:

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
I know. That's what upsets me. :( They've done all of that while forgetting that the most important part of their business (and the most important part of gaming) is their customer base, and what appeals to the fans plays a large role in dictating what becomes important or relevant in a gaming history context. We're the ones who buy their games, we're the ones whose money greases the gears. Without us there'd be no gaming industry. And yet we're treated like and expected to see ourselves as consumers, mindless scavengers on the bottom of the ocean floor who must take what they are given and that's not right at all. It's what leads to abuses like Day 1 DLCs and the like. It's a huge problem with gaming in general.

EDIT: I suppose others here will argue that gaming companies have the right to do whatever they want and we as fans do have to put up with it but that attitude is flat-out wrong and helps makes games crappier and crappier and crappier. You do have a say in the things that you buy -- it's your money, isn't it? Isn't that how capitalism is supposed to work?
Fans rarely know what's best and a game where everything is decided by fan wishes is sure to be terrible

I also seriously doubt there's more than one character trailer left, barring dlc content

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Fans rarely know what's best and a game where everything is decided by fan wishes is sure to be terrible
Like the inclusion of Megaman? That's an awfully condescending and untrue argument to make. :(

EDIT: A bit of a strawman too. No one is arguing that fans are the *only* ones who should decide what gets in a game; just that their priorities are some of the most important. Truly not everyone agrees with the ideas fans come up with and the things they like to see but it's the gaming industry's job to balance those needs with other considerations to make a game "good". The industry itself doesn't really know what's best most of the time and often puts money over all other considerations, which is why we get so many mediocre and lackluster games that don't satisfy fans and instead take them for as much money as possible (See EA microtransactions, the Mass Effect 3 Day 1 DLC fiasco, etc.) . It hurts me in my soul to see gaming, an art form that I love, fall down the same money trap that TV and movies have where profits control everything. We fans *do* have the right to be satisfied with a product we're paying 60 dollars for.

I'm not trying to be mean to you or pick at you or anything. The whole situation with gaming in general these days is just very upsetting and I fear Smash Bros. will go down the same path as other games have as long as we don't speak out about such things.

Last edited:

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696
All the talk about the embargo makes me wonder how IGN will survive when they can't use items anymore. I mean how else are they gonna deliver all the hard hitting Call of Duty articles first without their Choice Scarf?
... Bad pokemon jokes aside, I don't think anyone is gonna break the embargo. However the game is out in Japan in two weeks. Someone is bound to get it early and leak a ton of info.

I am being cautiously optimistic in regards to the roster. I am hopeful it's not the complete one and there is either unrevealed characters or the potential for DLC. However I'm not going to forget what happened with Brawl (and the Kalos Dex number for that matter) and get my hopes up. If this is the final roster then thats fine. As much as I had hoped to see Mewtwo, Wolf, Ridley, Impa, and Dixie I won't be too broken up if they are just trophies. We got a slew of awesome characters so far. The lack of 5 equally awesome ones won't break the roster for me.

Although I am pretty sure DLC is coming. Nintendo is finally joining the other two consoles in the present. Fire Emblem Awakening had DLC. Hyrule Warriors has preorder DLC and that whole Ganondorf DLC pack from Club Nintendo (which is free but still). Mario Kart surprised everyone with the two paid character and map packs that feature crossover characters. Pokemon X/Y has the Pokemon Bank, which while not traditional DLC is still optional paid add on content. Something as big as Smash not having DLC doesn't make much sense to me. DLC would extend the longevity of a game that already is going to have a long life span. Plus with the success of the character videos and the future success of Amiibo, DLC would sell itself. How else would they announce the DLC? With a character video of course. "MEWTWO STRIKES BACK!" could finally become a reality. Also when they finally sell the entire roster in Amiibos, they are going to want to keep new figures coming and DLC figures only makes sense. Smash 4 is gonna be the title that sells the most Amiibos I'm sure (until Pokemon starts with them). Not saying to get your hopes up for your favorite character that didn't get in the vanilla roster through DLC, but logically for a game like Smash DLC makes sense. Especially since Nintendo has begun to show they are in the DLC game now.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
Like the inclusion of Megaman? That's an awfully condescending and untrue argument to make. :(

EDIT: A bit of a strawman too. No one is arguing that fans are the *only* ones who should decide what gets in a game; just that their priorities are some of the most important. Truly not everyone agrees with the ideas fans come up with and the things they like to see but it's the gaming industry's job to balance those needs with other considerations to make a game "good". The industry itself doesn't really know what's best most of the time and often puts money over all other considerations, which is why we get so many mediocre and lackluster games that don't satisfy fans and instead take them for as much money as possible (See EA microtransactions, the Mass Effect 3 Day 1 DLC fiasco, etc.) . It hurts me in my soul to see gaming, an art form that I love, fall down the same money trap that TV and movies have where profits control everything. We fans *do* have the right to be satisfied with a product we're paying 60 dollars for.

I'm not trying to be mean to you or pick at you or anything. The whole situation with gaming in general these days is just very upsetting and I fear Smash Bros. will go down the same path as other games have as long as we don't speak out about such things.
If you really cared about gaming as an art form then you wouldn't think the fans wishes are important at all

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm going with actually being ZERO characters left

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Art isn't fanservice you dweeb
Gaming is much more than an art. It's a business, a business that is rooted in the target market the game developers have to appeal to to stay in business. If they don't do this; if they take the I-think-I-know-better-than-everyone attitude you are displaying and decide to impose what they want without appealing to their customer base they will fail. The reason that gaming companies who make low-quality, cookie-cutter-plot games are able to continue doing what they're doing is because the fan base is failing to flex its muscles and wield the power of the purse to keep them in line. Bioware took the position you have taken when they made Mass Effect 3. The backlash from their fans was so great that the only thing that saved them from their wrath (and threats of boycott) was patching the endings and making the Citadel DLC. If you are a gaming company you HAVE to keep your fans in high priority. It's simply how the industry works. If you wish to see for yourself you're welcome to make a big-ticket game, refuse to honor fan requests, tell them they don't matter and see your studio's stocks drop like a rock.

I just wish more fans understood this. :(

Back on topic though, I really hope I'm wrong and we do get more newcomers than the ones that were leaked. It'd be nice if I was wrong about character DLC and it actually does turn out to be a thing after all. I just sincerely doubt it'll happen.

Last edited:

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
Well what do you know. Lock means that it was incomplete with more characters to unlock.

Now the question is... was that picture in conjecture with the roster picture? Did they just happen to show a picture with the lock still on it, and then show the full roster? If not, then awesome. More characters still. Hmm.

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
If Nintendo was truly listing to their fans they would have added Ridley and Mewtwo. And Son Goku, Batman, Naruto, Shaq, Spongebob, Master Chief, Crash Bandicoot, Cory Baxter, Shrek and Dante from the Devil May Cry series.

I think Nintendo is better off deciding what characters they should put in themselves, rather then listing to fans. (And it's not like characters like Shulk, Little Mac, Megaman, Palutana ect weren't characters that a lot of people wanted).

Last edited:

DairunCates

Smash Journeyman
Well what do you know. Lock means that it was incomplete with more characters to unlock.

Now the question is... was that picture in conjecture with the roster picture? Did they just happen to show a picture with the lock still on it, and then show the full roster? If not, then awesome. More characters still. Hmm.
For the record, if anyone here didn't hear, the new PotD confirms that All-Star is unlocked at the beginning, but the lock goes away when you unlock every character.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Why is this thread even open if we know the leak isn't the full roster=???'

It doesn't help that this thread's topic sucks, either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom