• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Only three newcomers left...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
If the leak is complete, it's Duck Hunt, Bowser Jr., and Dark Pit. No more.
Brawl had four newcomers who weren't revealed before launch: Toon Link, Wolf, R.O.B. and Lucario.
Dark Pit has been already heavily implied by Palutena's trailer, so basically there are just two newcomers remaining which nobody would've 100% guessed without the leak. That seems low in my opinion.
Maybe there's more? I'm not expecting any reveal before launch game, maybe one exactly in the day one.
I really hope we don't know the entire roster yet, even though I'm completely satisfied by it.

DANICK

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0619-4467-3811
Maybe some of them will ot have a reveal trailer

I think Dark Pit doens't need one

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
I think Dark Pit doens't need one
I would argue that he does considering most people have a large distaste for him due to "clone status", which could potentially influence people's decisions to buy the game, despite the fact that dark pit is either confirmed or is most likely going to be using completely different weapons from uprising compared to pit. Lucina needed a little less for clone haters to be moderately ok with her but the opinions are still fairly negative since we don't have a whole lot of game play of her, whereas if we had no gameplay for dark pit the clone haters would just be 100% against it. Similar to how clone haters are 100% against dr.mario, because he isn't a newcomer and thus they assume he's going to have the same idea for moves as melee, which is justified by both captain falcon and ganon having very little changes or at least no replaced moves.

Regardless i am confident that we won't see anything about him at all anyway.

Last edited:

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
Except it was stated that in the leak All Star mode hadn't been unlocked, which means there were still characters that needed to be unlocked.

Toledo Jones

Smash Cadet
I doubt the only characters left are the ones in leak not officially confirmed yet. But I doubt we'll get another trailer for someone before launch after shulk's confirmation

ToonAdri

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Toonadri
im thinking isaac because there are a 1 slot in the 1985-2008 file

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Except it was stated that in the leak All Star mode hadn't been unlocked, which means there were still characters that needed to be unlocked.
I wouldn't hope on that too much. It doesn't make sense for the ESRB rating video to have just a part of the roster unlocked.

im thinking isaac because there are a 1 slot in the 1985-2008 file
What?

DairunCates

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't hope on that too much. It doesn't make sense for the ESRB rating video to have just a part of the roster unlocked.
2 things.

1. They could've potentially split the task up to lessen workload AND lessen the chance of a full leak.
2. You don't actually have to show the ESRB all the characters in the game, just the ones you think are likely to up the game's rating or affect it. Otherwise, the ESRB would have to review 20 hours of footage for every game. So, it's not unheard of that they didn't show the ESRB the entire game.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
2 things.

1. They could've potentially split the task up to lessen workload AND lessen the chance of a full leak.
2. You don't actually have to show the ESRB all the characters in the game, just the ones you think are likely to up the game's rating or affect it. Otherwise, the ESRB would have to review 20 hours of footage for every game. So, it's not unheard of that they didn't show the ESRB the entire game.
The split theory could work, sure, the second one not so much. If they had to show only the "risky" characters, Ridley would've totally be among them because of him being scary and all that. Surely more than Ness, or Jigglypuff.

DairunCates

Smash Journeyman
The split theory could work, sure, the second one not so much. If they had to show only the "risky" characters, Ridley would've totally be among them because of him being scary and all that. Surely more than Ness, or Jigglypuff.
Not really. ESRB rating is a bit weird. It's more regulated than the MPAA, but it's actually entirely voluntary (it's just some outlets won't sell non-ESRB rated games). That said, developers mostly decide what is worth sending out with the caveat that the ESRB can change the rating if more information comes to light after the release (hence the infamous GTA: San Andreas AO bump). Furthermore, there's not actually anything with Ridley's model that would increase the ranking over, say, Bowser. General spookiness itself isn't actually a heavy rating consideration. Violence is a much bigger factor. Hence, why smash consistently gets a Teen rating.

Also, that argument assumes that, if the roster wasn't complete, that Ridley is inherently in it.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
After seeing that supposed starter roster from the japanese version, I'm even more convinced we haven't seen the full roster.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
For those saying the leak pic is the final roster

Ridley wants a word with you (as a matter of fact very possibly in 39 minutes ish.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I hope it's not complete. But I shrug, it might be.

All I can hope for is DLC at this point

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410
For those saying the leak pic is the final roster

Ridley wants a word with you (as a matter of fact very possibly in 39 minutes ish.
What? I came out of my lurking because just... What? Is there going to be some kind of announcement or something because I'm honestly in a state of "What the ****" here.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
What are you going on about?
Remember the secret smash meeting at E3

PAX is doing one theres only 20 minutes left from the 4 hours

Im not saying we will get another character but its just a hogh possiblity in a little while

(Eventually the people at the meeting will sing like bird on facebook and twitter.)

DairunCates

Smash Journeyman

Im not saying we will get another character but its just a hogh possiblity in a little while

(Eventually the people at the meeting will sing like bird on facebook and twitter.)
There's an embargo on it. So, it'll likely be delayed for a while unless it was only for a few hours. Breaking an embargo is a lot different from leaks. Since you know which news organizations were there, and who blabbed, you can get blacklisted for breaking an embargo. So, it's not likely someone is gonna break it, this time.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123

Is it that secret meeting? I think theres an embargo on the info....

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon

Bad news: The people at the event are under a strict embargo. Dunno how long it's supposed to last... Hey, how'd you get in my post... AAARRRGHHH!!!

:4greninja: wuz here...

Last edited:

DairunCates

Smash Journeyman
But didnt Sakurai state that every character gets a video? Thats what SSE was "replaced" with
We might not get them ahead of time. They may be unlockables in the game (Like the special movie in melee). Also, I think he just insinuated that the character intro trailers WOULD be in the game, not that everyone was getting one.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
There's an embargo on it. So, it'll likely be delayed for a while unless it was only for a few hours. Breaking an embargo is a lot different from leaks. Since you know which news organizations were there, and who blabbed, you can get blacklisted for breaking an embargo. So, it's not likely someone is gonna break it, this time.
I know

It might be longer than that for are reveal if there is one at that.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I hate to say it but there's almost always someone stupid enough to break the embargo. Like the old saying goes, if you want to keep a secret, you keep it to yourself. Like the latest leak, I'm told that the leak was actually done by a 16 year old, not the actual former NA employee, that somehow was part of the guy's inner secret of friends.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884

Two trailers in one day? Whoa now! This ain't E3.

D

Deleted member 245254

I hate to say it but there's almost always someone stupid enough to break the embargo. Like the old saying goes, if you want to keep a secret, you keep it to yourself. Like the latest leak, I'm told that the leak was actually done by a 16 year old, not the actual former NA employee, that somehow was part of the guy's inner secret of friends.
Probably not in that circle anymore.

DairunCates

Smash Journeyman
Leaks happen all the time, breaks on embargos are much rarer. Since a leak is done by an individual, all you can really do is fire and sue them. When the media breaks an embargo, they get blacklisted from all future press events. So, a major organization like IGN has their entire business to lose from breaking an embargo. So, they watch their people like a hawk when an Embargo is up. Similarly, the smallest kind of media group that usually gets invited to an event this secretive is something like Gamexplain, and they potentially lose all of their business if they leak. These events are usually so private, it's very easy to catch the offender (unlike with leaks where you have HUNDREDS of employees and their friends).

And if they don't catch them... well, Nintendo just doesn't do these events for a while. There's a very good incentive to rat people out that break an embargo.

It's just one of those things. It's not unheard of, but I WOULD NOT bet on the Embargo being broken.

Two trailers in one day? Whoa now! This ain't E3.
Actually, PAX is very quickly becoming the "new E3". It is, by no means, a small event. That said, I suspect if we're getting another trailer, it'll either be tomorrow or Sunday.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Leaks happen all the time, breaks on embargos are much rarer. Since a leak is done by an individual, all you can really do is fire and sue them. When the media breaks an embargo, they get blacklisted from all future press events. So, a major organization like IGN has their entire business to lose from breaking an embargo. So, they watch their people like a hawk when an Embargo is up. Similarly, the smallest kind of media group that usually gets invited to an event this secretive is something like Gamexplain, and they potentially lose all of their business if they leak. These events are usually so private, it's very easy to catch the offender (unlike with leaks where you have HUNDREDS of employees and their friends).

And if they don't catch them... well, Nintendo just doesn't do these events for a while. There's a very good incentive to rat people out that break an embargo.

It's just one of those things. It's not unheard of, but I WOULD NOT bet on the Embargo being broken.

Actually, PAX is very quickly becoming the "new E3". It is, by no means, a small event. That said, I suspect if we're getting another trailer, it'll either be tomorrow or Sunday.
That depends on how long the embargo last

That embargo shows why its a strong chance for another trailer

Im just hopeing it ends the war of ridley.

DairunCates

Smash Journeyman
That depends on how long the embargo last

That embargo shows why its a strong chance for another trailer

Im just hopeing it ends the war of ridley.
There was an embargo for a Nintendo event in 2007 that apparently went on for a couple of weeks and no one broke it. Matter of fact, the embargos I can find that Nintendo put up that are broken are almost always broken by accident. Like this time the guardian's web admin posted a review article early: http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/t...t-w101-review-link-here-but-broken.453254761/

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I don't really understand why the embargo makes it more likely that we're getting another newcomer at pax. Pacman himself didn't even get that treatment.

DairunCates

Smash Journeyman
I don't really understand why the embargo makes it more likely that we're getting another newcomer at pax. Pacman himself didn't even get that treatment.
I actually think he might have. I think the private media event they had after the show that revealed Pac-man had a VERY short embargo on it until the event was over (ie. Can't liveblog the event). Also, the character trailer is only a possibility. The bigger likelihood is that there's a new build of the game and either the build has unannounced characters or Nintendo wants to get opinions on the build before finalizing it and making it public.

Either way. It's exciting and means we got surprises coming eventually.

Last edited:

DairunCates

Smash Journeyman
The event was liveblogged by several people, though.
I stand corrected then. I didn't see any personally on that one. So, I thought it might have been. The press embargo thing isn't actually uncommon though. It just comes up during certain specific scenarios. It's not about the IMPORTANCE of the announcement (like Pac-man), it's about whether the people giving the info want it to be public immediately after the event or not. So, yeah. It's not necessarily something as huge as Pac-man. It's just something that Nintendo thinks would be damaging to their marketing if it got out immediately (first impressions of some new feature before they have a chance to give a trailer to explain it, a finalized build, a new character that they want to announce publicly at an event that won't have much press, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom