• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Only one jump is refreshed after being caught by a grab. [multi-jump characters]

-Ran

Smash Master
Whenever you are caught by another player with a grab before touching the ground after extinguishing your jumps, you are only provided one jump after the throw. This is the case even if you are a multi jump character. It does not matter if your feet touch the ground during the grab phase, or if you are bounced off the ground with the throw. You simply only are given one jump. In Melee you receive all of your jumps back in any of the above situations.

Had this happen to me twice in a tournament today.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Can't speak for multijump characters, but last I checked, every character only has one jump to be refreshed after a grab. Where are you getting at with this "all jumps" business.

-Ran

Smash Master
I'm speaking of the multi jump characters, Kirby, Meta Knight, Charizard, and King Dedede. Typed this on my phone the moment the match was over so I wouldn't forget. I believe that was denoted in the first paragraph, just without stating the characters in question. Currently, the logic of the game is giving one jump, not "all the jumps" that a character has. This logic is fine for characters with only a double jump, but the logic fails on anyone with extra jumps.

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
I'm speaking of the multi jump characters, Kirby, Meta Knight, Charizard, and King Dedede. Typed this on my phone the moment the match was over so I wouldn't forget. I believe that was denoted in the first paragraph, just without stating the characters in question. Currently, the logic of the game is giving one jump, not "all the jumps" that a character has. This logic is fine for characters with only a double jump, but the logic fails on anyone with extra jumps.
please, tell me more of logic in a game where a dinosaur fights a ninja

Japsy

Banned via Warnings
please, tell me more of logic in a game where a dinosaur fights a ninja
Good thing you aren't PMBR if you just dismiss all criticisms like that.

Did this happen in Melee/Brawl? I think I experienced this too when I was fighting a Falco as Kirby.

-Ran

Smash Master
Jigglypuff and Kirby would regain all of their jumps in Melee. In Brawl characters would not regain their jumps if grabbed prior to hitting the ground. At the moment in PM, a character is given only one jump back which drastically reduces the recovery of multijump characters.

Last edited:

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
I don't really see too much of a problem with that. Though I think only 1 is a bit rough. Maybe change it to 2? If they can? Recoveries are crazy in PM. Though for Jiggs this is a pretty crazy nerf since she lacks an up b recovery and just two (one?) rising pounds and a single jump aren't getting her far.

-Ran

Smash Master
I don't really see too much of a problem with that. Though I think only 1 is a bit rough. Maybe change it to 2? If they can? Recoveries are crazy in PM. Though for Jiggs this is a pretty crazy nerf since she lacks an up b recovery and just two (one?) rising pounds and a single jump aren't getting her far.
However, there is a flaw in your reasoning. Currently, 85% of the cast regains full use of their recovery when in the same situation and many of them have better recoveries than multijump characters. Obviously, we don't know how big the various recovery nerfs are going to be, however we do know the last jump for Multijump characters is almost always the worst one, and most of their actual B moves to recover are glaringly easy to edge guard if they don't have a means to elevate or wait out an attack.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Can confirm, I witnessed this and the confusion it produced in tourney
Should probably link the vid once they've uploaded it, @ -Ran -Ran

Fun fact: the same thing happrns with ROB's boosts (up-b/side-b) which have a 3 use per airtime limit. Being grabbed before landing only returns one, and only if he had none when grabbed. It has been stated that this is intentional.

Last edited:
Top Bottom