• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Brawl Community Doubles #7 - August 8th - Registration is day of event

worldjem7

Smash Ace
I believe that the Wii's online system works through Nintendo's own host servers rather than having a sole Wii getting all the weight dumped on it. A good example to think of is Super Mario Strikers. When you go in to do an online tournament match there is no "host" you just go and request a game and the only REAL thing that affects the lag is your own connection to the other person. But, even then you're given their connection strength BEFORE the match so you can turn them down and not face them.

In any case, my point is that a person "hosting" has a lot less power than you think. It seems like most of the participants will be in North America anyway so the only thing that matters is your OWN internet connection and speed.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
This seems sick! I'll definitely do this when I get Brawl.
And by the way, Feb 22 is a Friday, and I have school. I don't want it to interrupt that, so what time does the tournament start?
The tournament will deffinately not be conflicting with school or work. A general time frame for the starting time will be around 8 or 9 pm U.S. Eastern.

so how do i register exatcly?since the game hasnt even come out yet.
Here's how you would register:

^Your username on smashboards is part of your registration... by simply submitting the below:
<darkNES386 is implied by your submission
BrawlName: Nicky (your mii userName)
FriendCode: 9999-9999-9999 (you don't know this yet)
Region: Midwest

No one can register yet since no one knows their friend code for Brawl. Realize that you must log onto the WFC with your individual Brawl Game and specific Mii in order to get the proper friend code. Region is important if lag becomes a serious issue. More details on this will follow.
--------------------------

I believe that the Wii's online system works through Nintendo's own host servers rather than having a sole Wii getting all the weight dumped on it. A good example to think of is Super Mario Strikers. When you go in to do an online tournament match there is no "host" you just go and request a game and the only REAL thing that affects the lag is your own connection to the other person. But, even then you're given their connection strength BEFORE the match so you can turn them down and not face them.

In any case, my point is that a person "hosting" has a lot less power than you think. It seems like most of the participants will be in North America anyway so the only thing that matters is your OWN internet connection and speed.
We don't know how serious lag will be yet. Mr. Sakurai stated that : "But because this form of communication is greatly affected by the distance between you and your opponent, your brawls may not run smoothly if you’re really far apart—like, for instance, if you’re connecting between Japan and America." Maybe I'm being a little more optimistic. But he just said that your connection MAY be slow with Japan. I would like to think that's implying that if two N.A. players have good connections, lag shouldn't be bad enough to prevent them from playing a decent match.

We'll see how this goes... all I can do is encourage people to get the LAN Adapater. Unless they have an option to up their internet speed (for the sake of Brawl, lol), go for it.

The following is an email I sent to nintendo support and their reply. I also tried to reach them again specifically about Brawl. They appreciated my enthusiasm but for whatever reason could not share with me any information about Online Brawl features... understandable.

I emailed nintendos customer service earlier today... they just got back to me:

Posted At: 11:02:07.000 12/05/2007
Posted To: Nintendo <nintendo@noa.nintendo.com>
Subject: Webform: Other Non-Product Related > Other

Online Connection Speeds - Does it matter who is hosting or creating a game?With titles such as Mario Strikers Charged and the upcoming Super Smash Brothers: Brawl I would like to know if it makes a difference in speed connection for who creates the game.

Message(#6851-000639-1024\6391024)

Hello and thank you for contacting Nintendo, The online connection speed is not dependent on who creates a match in Mario Strikers Charged, it is dependent on what your and your opponent(s) connection speeds are.

If you have questions about the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, or are encountering errors while connecting online, please consult the following website:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/online.jsp

Sincerely, Nintendo of America Inc.
T.J. Geise

Nintendo's home page: http://www.nintendo.com/
Power Line (Automated Product Info): (425) 885-7529
When I play strikers... I'll have a bad connection maybe 1 out of 10 matches where it is noticeable. All I know is that I've got one of the fastest internet connection speeds here at my college and I'm using a LAN Adapter. I'd like to think those bad connections were beause of my opponent's internet connection speeds.

I can't see why strikers wouldn't be a good gauge of what Online Brawl would be like.

? Smashboards doesn't "sponsor" events. The fact that this thread is rather prominent on the boards pretty much makes it a "smashboards event". Whatever that means.

DarkNES: I understand what you're saying about your tourney just being for fun. But the potential is present for people to ruin that fun for others.

The vulnerability is there, I merely brought it to your attention. If you still don't feel it's a priority, then that's your ability as director to do so.
About "sponsoring"... I was only implying that any new comers should not get the idea that these tournaments will guarantee an instant claim to fame. My only goal right now is that all the participants will show some amount of respect and acknowledgement to all the other players. People get lots of silly ideas about what online implies or allows them to say/do.

Furthermore, I'm all for suggestions about preventing cheating. If you're telling me though that I need to host each match on “trusted” friends Wii or my own... not going to happen. That defeats the whole point of having a huge one night event, for most people. I'll take my chances with a few hackers and see what happens. If it becomes a serious enough problems... we'll tackle that obstacle when it comes.

Knight-errant

Smash Apprentice
regardless of any problems (lag, etc) I would totally do something like this. Even if you lose because of some weird internet thing...it's not that big a deal (since I don't believe there's money on the line for online stuff). It would just be fun to participate.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
DarkNES: No, I'm not telling you you should have every match played on neutral machines. I'm not telling you to do do anything. Just pointing out possible issues and possible solutions.

WorldJem7 said:

Unfortunately, that's not true. Host has complete control over the game.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
DarkNES: No, I'm not telling you you should have every match played on neutral machines. I'm not telling you to do do anything. Just pointing out possible issues and possible solutions.
What's the concerns you have that we can prevent? Does it make enough sense to have directors host the actual elimination matches? Will that save most of problems that are more crucial?

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
That would depend on how many bracket matches you have. It would be rather impractical for a bracket of 256. Even 128 or 64 might be too big. But that depends on how many trusted hosts you get.

But yes, having a 3rd party host should solve the issue of host abusing. It even looks like the player on the host machine can be a spectator, which will help out.

RikyuXz.~

Smash Apprentice
hey darknes, im not really understanding the HOW TO MAKE GROUPS thing on your page thingy. It just shows a bunch of boxes with colors on them and i dont understand how that is going to work. Further more, from the screenshots, it had that you can only have a total of 64 friendss.. is this a problem? One last thing, what is the time the tourney starts in pacific standard time?

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I get more excited every time I check out your progress here than I do checking the dojo update nowadays. I'm really psyched.

REMEMBER I REALLY WANT TO HELP.

And for the number cap, what if we got divisions going? Like after the first couple, so once we're comfortable with the flow of a tournament, we could break people into divisions, and have a tournament from each division, and have X number of players from each divisional tournament go on to compete in like a big main event? It could be like a playoff thing. I think it would be pretty cool, since divisions would give players liek a team to represent, add to community pride or something like that.

Just throwing some ideas out there, nes.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
hey darknes, im not really understanding the HOW TO MAKE GROUPS thing on your page thingy. It just shows a bunch of boxes with colors on them and i dont understand how that is going to work. Further more, from the screenshots, it had that you can only have a total of 64 friendss.. is this a problem? One last thing, what is the time the tourney starts in pacific standard time?
Haha... well... this took me 5 minutes this morning:

-->O.B.C. TIME

My guess is that if you click on that link... the time should be 2 hours ahead of what your time is RikyuXz.~ . A clock such as this will be used to tell you exactly what time registration ends... when groups will be posted and what time the tournament/rounds will start.

64 friends max isn't a problem... I'll explain it later in the video.

As for the boxes... those are going to be my guidelines right now for how many people are going to be in each group. I'm just trying to show everyone that this tournament series will be as legitimate as possible. -->Here is what really "makes" the groups.

I get more excited every time I check out your progress here than I do checking the dojo update nowadays. I'm really psyched.

And for the number cap, what if we got divisions going? Like after the first couple, so once we're comfortable with the flow of a tournament, we could break people into divisions, and have a tournament from each division, and have X number of players from each divisional tournament go on to compete in like a big main event? It could be like a playoff thing. I think it would be pretty cool, since divisions would give players liek a team to represent, add to community pride or something like that.

Thanks for being so enthusiastic about this. I've made note already that you've offered to help. I'm going to wait until we get much closer to Brawl's release before making people official directors/helpers/volunteers for this tournament series.

After the first couple tournaments we can consider splitting this into multiple tournaments, but for now the main goal is just to have one successful two day event. If everything goes as planned then after the first tournament a lot of people will have ideas of what they want to further develop with this. There's a lot of time between now and Brawl's release... some would say I'm already way ahead of myself here and that this might not work at all, but each online update makes me more confident that as long as the proper planning is put in, we can have some success.

Joecool

Smash Journeyman

Wow the divisional tournment idea is great.That would definitely make it more competitive since ppl would be representing a divison like division Midwest or division Michigan, or my fav division Pikachu:chuckle:

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Wow the divisional tournment idea is great.That would definitely make it more competitive since ppl would be representing a divison like division Midwest or division Michigan, or my fav division Pikachu:chuckle:
This is a good idea... we just need to wait and see how much lag impacts the game. If anything, this first tournament will show us just how realistic playing by division is or if we're going to be forced to stick to just our own areas and never be able to truely compete by divisions.

i want to get a lot of peoples wii numbers because my friends suck at smash and i have no competition
Wii codes are next to pointless unless you have REALLY GOOD FRIENDS that you want to stay in touch with. You can only have 100 wii friends and I don't know about you, but forums like this are all i need for that. What you really need is a Brawl Code which you can only get after you own a game and go online.

bigman40

Smash Master
From what you're talking about the internet, it sounds similar to xbox live internet. If it's similar to that then the easiest thing I can see being abused is the stand-by button.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
Unfortunately, that's not true. Host has complete control over the game.
The Wii isn't a real "powerhouse" for computer specs. I don't see how a Wii could COMPLETELY host a game all on it's own. This isn't WC3 or Halo we're playing and it's not a computer we're playing it on. The host is just there to let people join and any problems that would ensue afterwards would be the result of the players' own connections to each other.

And if you absolutely "know for sure" that a Wii hosts it on it's own then how do you explain the "With Anyone" mode for online brawl? Who's the host? You don't know. All that happens is you go in and they put you in a game. So then why would they have a service for one mode and not the other?

Again I bring up strikers as a prime example.

Remember you're playing on a WII not a 360 not a PS3 not a Desktop computer where you can run multiple applications at the same time but, a Wii.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
EVERYONE... please don't get into an argument about lag and hacking. Everyone has some justification for what they are saying about wi-fi play with the Wii and internet gaming in general.

IF nothing else, we all can agree that lag is something we may face and all we can do is possibly try to reduce it with better internet connections and USB LAN Adapters over a wireless USB.

Everyone is very anxious to play the game. Let's just chill for the next 61 Days, 7 hours and 44 minutes..EDIT:43 minutes

Questions on structure of the tournament layout and concerns about it are welcomed.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
If only because I'm bored and I'm in the mood for organizin' since I'm hosting my own melee tournament on Jan 3rd, I'm going to kind of play around with a good way to kind of either come up with seeds or randomly distribute people into divisions. I PM'd you on the other site, but is that going to be the location where we'll do the discussion and registration, or will it be done here?

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919
Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi has major lag problems on nintendo wifi servers...i hope this is not a sign of brawl possibly having similar problems...though nintendo has said that they are working to fix the lag problem in that dbz game

Joecool

Smash Journeyman
Alot of ppl from the IGN Smash are exicited about this.Most of them knew about the tourny b4 i even told them about.So it should be alot more ppl coming through here some questions.

bigman40

Smash Master
Alot of ppl from the IGN Smash are exicited about this.Most of them knew about the tourny b4 i even told them about.So it should be alot more ppl coming through here some questions.
Can you give an estimate about how many ppl are willing to join this? I'm just wondering out of curiosity.

kenhead

Smash Apprentice
I'm a smash noob, but I really want to enter this tornament and I'm dumb so I don't completely understand how. Can you please tell me starting with turn on wii.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
I will make a video soon... for those of you who have been following me... I hope this update shows you just how possible it is to make this tournament, even with players registering at the last minute.

CHECK THIS FIRST<----

ULTIMATELY ONLY THE YOU REPORTED results require my input... and that's a copy and paste of what everyone else is posting in these threads (THIS IS WHAT I NEED HELP WITH... after the round robin gathering all the results)
Once these results are put in that collumn, the YOUR OPPONENTS SAY is updated instantly.

So... ALEX would have posted the following after he finished the first major part of the tournament... the pool:

GroupA
[his forum Name (yy1 is the example)] FOLLOWED BY WHO WON EACH OF HIS MATCHES IN ORDER
Bye
Alex
you
Alex
NintendoNerd
Mario8
Alex
Joey
Alex
JackBauer
DrLuigi
ChuckNorris
brawlMaster

THIS is what is really going on <-------

EVEN THE ACTUAL NAMES AND BRAWL CODES IN THE UPPER LEFT WILL BE REFERENCED FROM THE MASTER LIST

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I'll probably get eliminated in the first round, but I'm still amped about it.
That's the spirit. +it's a new game bud, some stuff will carry over, but unless we spend numerous hours (i know i will) and discover all the advanced techs in less than two weeks, it'll mostly be a learning experience.

I haven't been able to take care of that other thing, darknes, because that page is blocked on my school network and I go to the computer lab during studyhall to do most of my smashboards cruisin' so i'll do that later tonight.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Okay everyone, first video was added to the main post. Please let me know if it would make sense to someone who has no knowledge of online play for smah bros brawl... or any nintendo game for that matter. I tried to keep it as basic as possible.

@darkNES386:
Are you going to be lending your work to other organizations looking for a way to have an online Brawl tournament? I know a lot of clubs (two of which I belong to) are looking forward to making their own tourneys via Wi-Fi.
I will gladly help in the future with any other tournaments you are interested in, please understand that for a little while I'm going to try and focus on just this tournament series. If you need me to do something simple like randomly assign people to different groups for your tournament... that's easy. If you want me to run the whole thing... I don't think I"ll have the time come next February to do that ontop of my own, it depends on how many people offer to help me with this.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
let's say when I play brawl I use the name Knuckles

darkNES386
Knuckles
other player name
Knuckles
Knuckles
Knuckles
another players name
another players name
Knuckles
Knuckles
Knuckles

^ the above post would mean that I played against 10 other people
I won 7 of those and lost 3
The volunteers would help me by going into this thread and copying and pasting this submission and sending it to me via a email or pm, this way I can quickly throw them all down into my spreadsheets in the proper places. Especially if this does run on other forums besides smashboards.... it will get very hard to keep track of over a hundred player submission.

I would have volunteer one do every 4th page starting at 1 so.. . 1, 4, 7, 10
and so on
helper 2 would do 2,,5,8,11 something like that
I'm just trying to figure out if this will actually save us time.

MR.WIGZ

Smash Ace
I havent read the entire first post (but plan on it)

Very good stuff, I think seperating pools based on region would be good speed wise...(sorry if u did post this on first post)

worldjem7

Smash Ace
I would have volunteer one do every 4th page starting at 1 so.. . 1, 4, 7, 10
and so on
helper 2 would do 2,,5,8,11 something like that
I'm just trying to figure out if this will actually save us time.
I think it would definitely shave a few minutes and it would dramatically cut down on the confusion as well.

If volunteers just reported all of them all at once you'd have multiple copies of the same person's results.

Although depending on how many people are helping you, you might have to space the interval of pages differently.

For example: If you have only 2 people helping gather results then the interval would be every 2nd page so Volunteer A would do 1,3,5,7,9 while Volunteer B does 2,4,6,8,10.

If you had say 6 helpers then the interval would be every 6th page so Volunteer A would do 1,6,11,16,21 and Volunteer B would do 2,7,12,17,22 and so on.

It's all relative to the amount of people helping you; the more people helping the faster it will go.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
*call dibs on volunteer position*

10char-mander.

EDIT: if you assigned volunteers to specific pools/regions of the bracket, wouldn't that be more efficient as far as the information gathered goes?

So Vol. 1 would be responsible for all the members of pool A, so instead of Vol.s compiling all the info from specific pages, they would have to know who is in their pool, and only get the information on those players.

Top Bottom