• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Onett: Stage Research

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I adored this stage when I was younger, although I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe it was the music. And speaking of the music, hearing the Magicant BGMs that were taken from the 3DS version never fail to remind me that we could have had Magicant in HD and that makes me salty.

Previously Covered
Palutena's Temple
Yoshi's Island
Wily Castle
Gaur Plain
Pyrosphere
Temple
Mario Circuit (Brawl)
Boxing Ring
Port Town Aero Dive
Bridge of Eldin
Pilotwings
Jungle Hijinxs
Wrecking Crew
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 2
Big Battlefield
Battlefield
Smashville
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege
Town & City
Duck Hunt
Delfino Plaza
Kalos Pokemon League
Mario Galaxy
Coliseum
Gamer
Wii Fit Studio
Kongo Jungle 64
Windy Hill Zone
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Orbital Gate Assault
Woolly World
Skyloft
Garden of Hope
Mushroom Kingdom U
Wuhu Island
Mario Circuit

Layout
Onett is a hodgepodge of platforms and solid structures. Two houses dominate the terrain, one on each side. The one on the left is split a bit oddly, with the right side of the roof being lower down. A tree behind the house features two boughs for platforms, which bounce when players land on them. On the right, the other house is a more standard shape with what appears to be power lines overhead to act as a platform. A chimney on the house makes the top flatter than one may expect. In the middle, a drug store has two vertically aligned awnings that players can stand on. The stage has no void and is a walkoff on both sides.

Players 1 and 2 start on the inner side of the house roofs, while Players 3 and 4 start on the top awning and on the ground in front of the drug store. The Omega form has walled sides.

Onett has a couple of stage hazards.

Onett, with nothing much going on at the moment. The edges of the stage are ground level walkoffs.

Drug Store Awnings
The awnings on the drug store are not entirely stable. Whenever a player lands on them, the large "Drug Store" sign shakes a bit. After the fifth landing, the sign goes noticeably off-kilter. After the seventh landing, it breaks away entirely and crashes to the ground, destroying the awnings in the process. Approximately 5 seconds later, the sign and awnings appear back in their original position. Neither the sign nor the awnings do any damage when falling apart.

The drug store's awnings after they've been broken. 5 seconds later it'll be back to normal.

Runaway Van
Every 5-10 seconds, a warning sign flashes onscreen on the right side of the stage, which the camera will zoom out to keep in view if necessary. 2 seconds later, a van drives by which does 30% damage to players at ground level. Despite the heavy damage, the van does fixed knockback and cannot kill players even at 999%.

Also, despite the name, the runaway van can also be a taxi or any of several different cars.

The warning sign for the van. It appears 2 seconds in advance.

The runaway van itself. It does 30% damage and can't kill. This particular van is the tour van of the Runaway Five, who you meet several times in Earthbound. Other vehicles that can appear in Smash are a taxi and various cars, although the difference is entirely cosmetic.

Summary
  • Awnings break away after players land on them 7 times total.
  • Awnings repair themselves after 5 seconds.
  • Runaway van (or taxi, or car) drives by every 5-10 seconds, does 30% damage and can't kill.
  • Warning sign for van, etc. comes 2 seconds in advance.

Top Bottom