• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One last chance!

massi4h

Smash Rookie
Serious question Armada:
Are you going to prepare for the EVO tournament as well or are you just going to come along for the ride and play cold turkey?
I think it would be very disrespectful to the people donating to you, as it's quite clear that people are donating because they want to see the all the best players at Evo. If you're not going with any drive to win the competition then it would just look like you're using your name to get you and your brother a free trip from such a nice community. I would like to hear what you have to say about this.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Why are there so many posts about how well he'll play? Did everyone not see what he did to Mango at BEAST 3?

Flashlight_Eyes

Smash Cadet
I dont think Armada should feel guilty. The amount of people that have begged armada to come to this tournament has been ridiculous, and its really the EVO that we all want to see. Flying across the country takes him away from work, getting money for tickets seems reasonable. The fact that we all generally get to watch our favorite smashers gather from around the country or world without paying a dime is very convenient, so im willing to chip in some cash to see it happen. What is shady though is this paypal setup, I sure do hope that we can trust you to update us when the true amount is reached, and if somehow it does go over, the rest will be donated to the tournament in some way.

michael_li

Smash Ace
Every fighter have one more round to go. This also includes me for this one and only time. Prog tried, as tons of others, to convince me to enter EVO and I can say that the results is what I hope you all guys will like.

The thing that convinced me to go if this works out is that Android also need a donation for the ticket. This maybe sounds like a lot to ask for and then so be it. It's up to the community if they want to see this happen. I will go to EVO, and enter Melee, if we can get enough of donations for both me and Android to get there.

Normally we would like to pay everyone back if Android/I wins anything but in this case it is a bit different. I have to skip work for a few days and is not having that much money. So if I win anything I will not pay back. I know this might sound a bit greedy but tickets etc for both of us will be such a huge part/all of the prize pot and I lose money on not going to work and actually risk a lot if they will not allow me to take a few days off.

Im doing this because I wanna give Android this opportunity and if the community can give Android this then I promise to start training super hard and give you one last show. Regardless of the outcome I have NO plans on entering anything more then this. Im not doing this for me, Im doing it for Android and I hope you all enjoy this one and only opportunity!

Money needed for this fund is 2600 dollars!

aniolas@gmail.com

That's the account for sending the money

nice! i wanna see you get *****. would be a thrill.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Armada, what I think you should do is calculate out roughly how much it will cost you to miss work those few days and then say if your winnings exceed that total, then the remainder of what is left over will be paid back.

Jayk

Smash Apprentice
Everyone is really sad that Armada isn't going to Evo, even though he has said he doesn't want to
He says he'll go, but not at his own expense
Everyone gets mad at him?

Osennecho

Smash Ace
Everyone is really sad that Armada isn't going to Evo, even though he has said he doesn't want to
He says he'll go, but not at his own expense
Everyone gets mad at him?

That's not actually it. It's not that people object to a player fund, but that they don't want to pay for his brother too. For example if he paid half the donations back to people from his winnings they'd donate cuz they could tell themselves "I donated for Armada." Plus he sprung this on the community with hardly any time before the EVO registration deadline. While I can see where he is coming from I can equally see where everyone else is too especially since he'd be the favorite to win grand finals.
Also people don't realize that it's not like Armada works a summer job like a college student. I think I remember hearing at some point that he works an actual job and is both a teacher and substitute teacher. Taking off work with the reason oh I need to fly out of country to enter a video game tournament might not go over well. And real jobs (especially teaching) are ********* impossible to come by these days or at least they are in America. While the melee community is generally older and more mature, a large number are still in/haven't gone to college. Presuming I'm remembering that correctly this is what really makes me understand where Armada is coming from with his request.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yo people implying that armada is gonna steal your money if you paypal it to him need to chill, he's not plank he's one of the nicest dudes in the community

Dekar289

Smash Hero
tl:dr
"i'd rather stay here and work. in fact i'll only come if you pay for me AND my friend. here's the paypal, cough up"

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
tl:dr
"i'd rather stay here and work. in fact i'll only come if you pay for me AND my friend. here's the paypal, cough up"
That's not true

It's more like

"i'd rather stay here and work. but my brother really wants to go and I know the only way to get him there is to run a donation drive for the both of us to come, because I know not nearly as many people would pay for him by himself"

iffy525

Smash Apprentice
Damn why couldn't you have been convinced to set this up earlier!

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
If it helps you sleep at night, just pretend Armada is from Australia, and you're only paying for him to come.

It actually does cost like 2k+ for an Australian to fly to LA with late notice and such.

Also Armada, have you received any donations yet? + if so, how much so far? Visibility please

Atlus8

Smash Master
If it helps you sleep at night, just pretend Armada is from Australia, and you're only paying for him to come.

It actually does cost like 2k+ for an Australian to fly to LA with late notice and such.

Also Armada, have you received any donations yet? + if so, how much so far? Visibility please
THIS GUY!

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I can already picture the epicness... Armada takes on the Elite 4 one by one... Mango, M2K, Hungrybox, and PP all fight valiantly but just can't stand up to the champ.

Then Ken falls from the sky and challenges the king to reclaim his old throne.

Both players rip their shirts off and fire Hadoukens at each other. The blast radius takes out the entire venue... No survivors.

Best tournament ever.

Armada

Smash Lord
Im gonna answer everything + update once I get back from work. Will be kinda many hours but I will tell you all as fast as I can.

Thanks a lot to the people that have donated so far or in any other way helped this fund =)

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
I don't like that this isn't through something like Kickstarter where:
A. We can see the amount raised and
B. The person doesn't get it until we hit that amount.

If we reach like 2k, it's not gonna be fun for Armada to refund every one of those donations. Not to mention if he does have to do that, Paypal is a shady ************ and I'm sure they'll freeze his account or some ****.

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
**** armada...
I'm so broke right now.... but i also want to see you at evo, and i'd love to see what android will be able to pull of, i'm sure he's working his ass off right now to prepare. (He better be!)

I'll give 10 and see wether i can spare any later this month (doubt it though)

how long will this run? will i be able to donate later?

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
I'd still really like to see player funds start to follow more of a sponsorship model where the financiers get a piece of the winnings. I'm fine with including "lost income" as a line item, though.

Wish you luck, in either case!

Aniolas

Smash Ace
Serious question Armada:
Are you going to prepare for the EVO tournament as well or are you just going to come along for the ride and play cold turkey?
I think it would be very disrespectful to the people donating to you, as it's quite clear that people are donating because they want to see the all the best players at Evo. If you're not going with any drive to win the competition then it would just look like you're using your name to get you and your brother a free trip from such a nice community. I would like to hear what you have to say about this.

I spoke with him yesterday and he said that he'll play several hours everyday to be in the best shape as possible. He knows what people expect from him in order to deserve the money and he'll do his utmost to not make anyone dissapointed (except mango, hbox, pp and m2k of course ;))

EDIT: 225 dollars so far.

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
Aniolas/Armada: Have you guys ever thought about reaching out to a community outside the internet, like say, the real world? Idk what you guys do in Sweden, but here in a Amrrca when we need to raise money, we setup lemonade stands, do brownie sales :lick: and wash cars.

Anyway, I donated all the money my wife would let me in the charity drive, lol. Hope to see you guys there!

Theftz22

Smash Lord
If you don't think donating is a good idea, no one is making you. I've seen much dumber player funds than one for Android, like no one was outraged when some people decided to blow their money on a player fund for Weon-X (no offense Weon).

I want to see this guy go so that hax can **** him up.

At this pace though, the fund just isn't gonna make it.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Just be wary of when registration closes and decide if your going or not, if you place well you'll make money too, while the tournament isn't for awhile you can register after this weekend at all.

Top Bottom