• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One last chance!

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Not true, i understand exactly how good hungrybox is and to say that i can't make a judgement on whether his playstyle is boring or not based on the fact that i am not as good as he is is stupid. If that is true then there are only about 4 other people in the world who are allowed to make any comment on how he plays the game.

Hungrybox's playstyle is very basic in comparison to how Mango plays with puff but he is equally if not more effective with the character, but if you had to ask me which puff i would rather watch it would be mango's puff anyday because you know he is not just going to try and space his opponent out with back air for large portions of the match, he even uses n-air !
Not true? You are going to have to describe the style a lot more in depth if you want to convince me. If you can determine where he is strong and where he is weak then ill be more open about it.. why does he win so much? How does he outplay his opponent? Its not just combos into rest, anyone can do that.

Comatose

Smash Apprentice
I personally love watching hungrybox play. I mean the games are "slow" but still, its like watching an engine work. If you don't understand it enough to appreciate the intricacies, it just seems plain, but if you understand what's going on and how it all works, its just amazing.

Luma

Smash Lord
First of all, no hate. Please, don't misinterpret this as trash talk.
I have heard nothing but good things about Hbox as a person. He seems really swell.

I can't beat him, but that doesn't mean all my thoughts are invalid. If his playstyle is boring or unentertaining, I think he should get to hear it. Nothing I have written here had anything to do with forcing him to change, but a response to his weird opinion about respecting playstyles. I only respect playstyles that are/would be fun to play with.
To win and to earn respect are not the same thing.

so you only respect flashy bullsht rather than play2win? sry wrong community, we are competitive here

ZetTroxX

Smash Journeyman
I personally love watching hungrybox play. I mean the games are "slow" but still, its like watching an engine work. If you don't understand it enough to appreciate the intricacies, it just seems plain, but if you understand what's going on and how it all works, its just amazing.
Couldn´t agree more.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Am I only the one that thinks Armada vs Hungrybox happening would be good to show off at EVO? It's such a huge contrast to the majority of what we see most of the time and really shows off how widely varying characters are, playstyles are, and how important proper stage selection is. A lot of games have super high technical ceilings, but Melee can also stand out as a game of brains and attrition too.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Am I only the one that thinks Armada vs Hungrybox happening would be good to show off at EVO? It's such a huge contrast to the majority of what we see most of the time and really shows off how widely varying characters are, playstyles are, and how important proper stage selection is. A lot of games have super high technical ceilings, but Melee can also stand out as a game of brains and attrition too.
no
NONONONONONONO
NO
:|

MaskedMarth

Smash Ace
I personally quite enjoy Hungrybox's play, often root for him, and think that his matches vs. Armada have been quite interesting.

It all comes down to personal taste, anyways. For one person, the "play2win" doesn't "justify" a certain playstyle. For someone else, that playstyle is the coolest part of the metagame.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Perhaps, but we were talking about appreciation not desire for someone else to play how they think is right. I mean I don't play the harp for example but I can certainly appreciate the sounds it makes and the list goes on forever about how many things I can enjoy without inputting my judgement on it or how I want things to be. That's why I'm a little mad about ignorant comments while someone can't understand what's going on but still says something about it. There's no opinions to have about the truth.

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
First of all, no hate. Please, don't misinterpret this as trash talk.
I have heard nothing but good things about Hbox as a person. He seems really swell.

I can't beat him, but that doesn't mean all my thoughts are invalid. If his playstyle is boring or unentertaining, I think he should get to hear it. Nothing I have written here had anything to do with forcing him to change, but a response to his weird opinion about respecting playstyles. I only respect playstyles that are/would be fun to play with.
To win and to earn respect are not the same thing.

Go back to CoD.
Lesser minds are not suited here.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
I don't reckon play2win justifying every playstyle. It doesn't have to be flashy. Why should being an ******* in game not matter at all outside the game?

To prove my point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTHfcafE9ig
There is a huge difference between camping the ledge and what hbox does. Hbox doesn't camp, he just plays safe.

If someone wants to camp the ledge because they think it will give them an advantage it seems perfectly justified to me. People did it in brawl to the point where they had to limit the number of times you grab the edge. That isn't the case in melee. With most characters if you mess up it can cost you a stock. That doesn't even really come into play here though. In the video you posted both players are choosing to stall. That's as much Pepito's fault as it is Tero's. Pepito should've just SDed and gone to the next match or continued to try to take the edge from puff.

Mr P

Smash Ace
Perhaps, but we were talking about appreciation not desire for someone else to play how they think is right. I mean I don't play the harp for example but I can certainly appreciate the sounds it makes and the list goes on forever about how many things I can enjoy without inputting my judgement on it or how I want things to be. That's why I'm a little mad about ignorant comments while someone can't understand what's going on but still says something about it. There's no opinions to have about the truth.

Whether you find particular playstyles entertaining or not is a completely subjective matter and everyone has their own opinions about what players they like watching and what one's they don't, the crowd have clearly spoken and for the most part people do not like the way hungrybox plays the game #dealwithit. What cannot be disputed is how good a player is, particularly when you have a lot of data points like in hungrybox's case that make it a demonstrable fact that he is a fantastic melee player. Using your own musical instrument analogy i can say that i fully appreciate the skill that goes into playing the bagpipes but it doesn't mean that i ever want to listen to someone play them, just as i can appreciate hungrybox's skill as a player i also dont have to enjoy watching him play the game.

And Kage i know enough about melee to know how good hungrybox is in certain areas of the game, his mindset is solid, his edgeguarding is nearly flawless and he knows just how to grind a match out but none of that is relevant when it comes whether i like his playstyle or not.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Bah, it's just a matter of not being a hardass with your own opinions meaning being adamant about your own preferences that reflects outwardly. I suppose the type of mindset I'm talking about is being open to everything, at least in that way you'll be able to appreciate ALL styles even if you dont like it personally.

Also when I said there's no opinions to be had about the truth, Hbox has insane reactions, sick spacing, very accurate and barely misses his edgeguards... that is incontestable which is why it's so awesome. The hate beyond that is pretty pointless, what does it serve in reality?

It's like for example if I hate classic music, am I really going to go out of my way and start dissing people that play that? Hell no, if you do grow the **** up. Players have their own style because each and everyone of us view the game a certain way and they can't help it but play in that way. Have you really seen anyone have a complete style turn around? I haven't, I only saw players become better but using the same style of play.

Top Bottom