• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official SWF Tier List v8

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
The only reason Olimar went up that high last tier list was because the way results were factored in was flawed imo, even though we didn't really have a better way of weighting results.

:059:

Dekillsage

Smash Lord
The only reason Olimar went up that high last tier list was because the way results were factored in was flawed imo, even though we didn't really have a better way of weighting results.

Getting 2nd place in apex 2010 and 2012 was a pretty good reason to have him at 2nd place imo

Snake, where u at ?
Dead

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605

They measured money. How is that even possible?

As for ZSS, I guess everybody in the BBR saw people voting Pikachu>ZSS and let it pass it was a common (mis?)conception and nobody cared enough to debate it.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Money/Usage.

Obviously there are a lot less Olimars than MKs lol

EDIT: if you go in the old excel file for v7 and remove results from the equation, I think Oli dropped two spots. So that's what I'm trying to say, not that he didn't necessarily deserve 2nd otherwise.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Oh, new tier list.
Weird ICs placement. DK somehow rose...? Yoshi fell finally after so long since the third I think. Let's hope this is the last tierlist. etc. etc.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Taking bets on how long it's going to take me to get banned in this thread

also wtf at there being 4 tiers above B i think im about to pee my pants

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
Let the derail begin.

Also :

Dedede isn't Broseidon, God of the Brocean tier
1/10, at least you tried, BBR.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Wow, just about everyone I use ended up going down a spot.

Not that I put much into thought these things to begin with, but it's disappointing nonetheless.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I think C+ tier should just be moved into high tier. And I think low tier should be divided further, there's no excuse for Samus and Mario being in the same sub-tier as Ganondorf LOL

Osennecho

Smash Ace
As for ZSS, I guess everybody in the BBR saw people voting Pikachu>ZSS and let it pass it was a common (mis?)conception and nobody cared enough to debate it.
Because everyone voting though Snake would be higher. If I recall the dude who based his tier list 100% on potential had ZSS above Pika. And then he had Ics at 1st. He also had Marth at 5th. Because that potential that is there if you play perfect. The pretty much untappable potential that is why everyone is thinking BBR is crazy atm.

Grimmz

Smash Journeyman
I'm actually glad some didn't move up nor down. Like Falcon :I

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Jigglypuff fell down a spot? Well, time to main her

Reckless4Christ

Smash Ace
Oh, so Olimar gets to go up 8 on v7 and then Shaky gets 25th at Apex and the BBR's like, "+1"! Quit underrating characters with solid potential, or someday a Ganon's gonna win Apex cuz of this and I'm just gonna sit here laughin' my head off...
Nobody even dropped Ness in the community voting IIRC.
But yay about Fox +1

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Yeah that's definitely more debatable than DDD or Lucario

I just don't wanna see DDD or Lucario in mid tier tournaments. And I think Lucario's very underrated

Akenero

Smash Apprentice
wow, that's a lot of people...
I'm pretty sure Pit is being underrated,also,
WHY NOBODY MENTION HIM YET!!!
back to him being underrated, the guy has a -2 against MK...MK!!!That is an impressive matchup considering where he is sitting!
And I await the day when Ganondorf will be above low tier...maybe move up 4 spots or something.

clowsui

Smash Legend
You guys should stop paying attention to the ordering of the characters themselves and look at the groupings of characters. I think you'll find the tier list a lot more agreeable that way. ICs as a grouping in and of themselves is the only actual controversy with this list, IMO.

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
And I await the day when Ganondorf will be above low tier...maybe move up 4 spots or something.
Smash 4 is still a couple months away.

You guys should stop paying attention to the ordering of the characters themselves and look at the groupings of characters. I think you'll find the tier list a lot more agreeable that way.
lolno

Dekillsage

Smash Lord
You guys should stop paying attention to the ordering of the characters themselves and look at the groupings of characters. I think you'll find the tier list a lot more agreeable that way. ICs as a grouping in and of themselves is the only actual controversy with this list, IMO.
I did
Why is Ic's in their own tier

Why is high tier 3 characters

Why is toonlink right under the current "high tier"????

How is Falco and Snake not in the same tier as diddy and olimar?

clowsui

Smash Legend
The rules we applied were the following:
-No single character tiers past top tier.
-For the top tier (S-A), tier gaps were placed wherever character gaps exceeded 1.
-For high and upper mid tiers (B-C), tier gaps were placed wherever character gaps exceeded 1.25.
-For mid tier and below (D-F), tier gaps were placed wherever character gaps exceeded 1.5.
-Sheilda was fixed in place directly above Sheik, as the benefits to the combination make that entity marginally better.
The gradual increase in character gaps was implemented under the assumption that we can be less specific about character potential as we move to the lower parts of the list. Those characters are typically represented significantly less at a high competitive level than their higher tiered brethren.

The above list was added to the 29 BBR votes and counted 5 times, meaning it ended up as roughly 1/7 of the total vote. In the Excel file below you will find the ordered list of characters with their point total, the standard deviations and highest and lowest ranking, in addition to the gaps between characters. Note that for each character the highest and lowest placing were not counted to somewhat correct for outlier votes.

With Zero Suit Samus moving up, we found it was time to re-evaluate our tier labels and started high tier past the top 7, whereas before it started after Wario. We did this based on how people discussed the characters as well as where those who included tier labels in their vote put them. It was a somewhat tough call to make as the intuitive gap between Falco and Pikachu for many people is less pronounced than that between Wario and Lucario. However, the alternative would be to have a whopping ten characters considered top tier and have high tier reach even further, which seems like a stretch considering how few characters have solo success at the highest level. The ten characters currently considered top and high tier have an impact on the metagame and can be expected to place well in capable hands, a quality that quickly diminishes after.
Screen shot 2013-04-25 at 6.10.21 PM.png

btw I can tell you that only 1 person voted Marth at 2 lmao

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I think the groupings are the worst part of the list. 3 in high tier (with 1 subtier), 20 in mid tier with 5 subtiers, 8 in low tier with one subtier

clowsui

Smash Legend
By groupings I meant sub-groupings. I agree w you on the major groupings but I see where Marc was coming from. We didn't vote on where to put the divide iirc

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I like how ICs have their own tier as a 'definite #2' when people in the BBR voted him as low as #7, then they try to tell us it was a unanimous decision.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
The sub-grouping (or lack thereof) in low tier is terrible. Mario and Samus don't belong in the same subgroup as Zelda and Ganon XD

clowsui

Smash Legend
@gashi: then we remember how unreasonable you're being because only ONE person voted ICs that low

EDIT: Vishal I don't give a **** about low tier LMAO but if you want my opinion on that I think you ought to have a "garbage tier" subgrouping, yes

Shadocat

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3737-9651-3260
LMFAO @ the salt coming from Marth going up 2 spots.

LUCAS IN MID TIER HYPE

Peach, Pit, and Rob should to be in upper mid tier. but thats just my opinion.

Lucario, DDD, and TL Did NOT need to drop from high tier. The **** was that about. RIP Mid tier tourneys.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
The only reason the groupings are so far off are because of the definition of what should be the gap between tiers.

Changing the difference for top tier from 1 to 1.25 would fix the IC's problem. The others aren't nearly as easy, however.

Top Bottom