• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official SWF Tier List v8

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Shaya nailed it pretty much.

I understand Ghostbone when he says that staleness/freshness matters to everyone but it is completely paramount to Sheik. Her strings rely on being in a certain staleness or else they won't work and then her already short lifespan will get even shorter.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
That said, I feel like some other characters, such as Marth (maybe tipper makes this less of an issue), Pit, Squirtle and possibly Sonic and Yoshi need to be very careful in using many of their moves so that they can get the kill at critical points.
One thing with Yoshi, and honestly the main reason why he's as low as he is, is that Yoshi's BnB combo/defensive moves are his main KO moves, so keeping things fresh on him is almost impossible in some match ups. In order to build damage, Yoshi usually needs to combo into uair strings or just sacrifice 15-30% to keep uair fresh. Also, Yoshi's only reliable anti air is usmash, things like that. One of the main things Yoshi mains have come to accept is that Yoshi lacks any solid ways to get KOs, mainly due to staling core KO moves and a lack of solid approach options, so the motto of Yoshi players ends up being 'dont force a kill, just let the kill happen', since usually Yoshis get kills by just racking up almost 200% until a stale uair/nair/usmash finally knocks them out.

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
This is also why his CG is super important in the matchups where it exists. Even without guaranteed finishers out of it, you at least get plenty of time to refresh your kill moves.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Ghostbone, please.
It most definitely contributes very very heavily to Sheik, who otherwise just gets hit/punished out of every combo she attempts and isn't the type of character who can afford to trade with anyone.
This is incredibly important to jiggs, kirby, peach, luigi, fox, etc. as well.

It's important to anyone that needs to keep track of the specific frame advantage they get from a move based upon %/staling (often the difference between getting powershielded/air-dodged/nair'd/hit by some frame 1 invincible move or not)

She isn't a superb character, her greatest strength comes from the combo/lock ability of forward tilt. If the difference between getting 80% and a kill move off and just 1 tilt into a clashing neutral air/fair is literally just whether or not you used or didn't use ftilt or another move earlier, it means a hella ****ing lot.
Well duh, but it doesn't make her harder than other characters to use.
It's not exactly a difficult thing to keep track of anyway.
Everyone else get's their free 0%ish grab combos. Sheik doesn't. Most characters who worry about decay may lose out on maybe 1 extra hit or 1 extra grab if they start it at an awkward percent/with things not decayed or over decayed, Sheik literally gets close to nothing in the same situation in her context.
Again, that doesn't make her any more difficult to use, it's just means she doesn't have the opportunity to get good punishes a lot of the time, which is a trait as a bad character.

Last edited:

Karaoke Man

Smash Apprentice
People claiming that X character(s) s what motivated me to pick my main and secondaries. You must understand how tiers work. They are based off what characters can't do, not what they can do, but what they can't do. For instance :4kirby:. Kirby has multiple jumps, a transcendent projectile, a command grab that can lead to sacrificial KOs, a strong juggle and grapple game, yet is mid tier. Why? The fact it has just 2 reliable KO moves, can be punished for a lot of its gimmicks, has trouble breaking camp games, can be rushed down easy;etc.
Yes, it is based primarily off of what they can't do, which honestly is a problem. What Kirby has is the answer to one question. How about the other 5 factors?

• When you should use it
  • Why it's being applied in the circumstancial scenario.
  • Who is going to benifit from the result of using said move at that certain point
  • How appliying said options will support your method of using it.
  • Where it's being applied is also important
Kirby does have only have 2 reliable kill moves when you consider that it's only in terms of knockback from the onstage position with a high %. With that being said, let's take Kirby's Dair for example. Obviously, regardless of what % you're at or whatever character you are, you will go to great lengths to avoid getting hit by this move offstage. You already know why; The position it will put you in will make it very unlikely...in a lot of cases even impossible for you being able to reach the stage/ledge at that point. Or what about using it Kirby's Uair on the opponent near the top boundary as low as maybe 60-ish%? If you approach the facts from a different angle such as this, many of Kirby's other moves have roughly the same, but more convenient KO potential with correct application. While it's also dependent on other factors like DI and such, my point is that those factors should always be taken into account before people make generalizations about characters and tier list placements. All 6 of those factors should be taken into account and not soley for What they are or "aren't" able to do when said things haven't been researched/discovered enough.

The 5 W's + the H can solve a looooot of things when applied.

Creativity? The game's been out like 6 years or something... you think people are just so uncreative they fail to come up with ways to use a character for 6 years? And also characters who don't have any extreme/unique stats that set them apart? Ivysaur is slow, somewhat frail, and laggy, so comparing it to Melee Puff/Yoshi doesn't work (who are relatively low lag and have extreme properites (air speed, parry, dj armor and dj cancel) that made them unique. And we already acknowledge they have some strengths (Ganon does, it's called high knockback throughout his moveset) but they have so many crippling flaws that they are overall not viable. Being creative doesn't cover up a character's limitations... actually Gimpyfish had this kind of good video about acknowledging that no character is perfect, I wish I knew what it was called so I could post a link here.
Who is saying that certain characters don't have any unique traits? What are these resources being frequently compared to? I honestly have no idea because literally EVERY character in the game have their own unique traits. That's why every character is intentionally not a clone from each other. True, Ivysaur is kind of slow, and somewhat frail and laggy, but that's all we can say about Ivysaur? I'm going to assume most people didn't know the fact that in terms of knockback, Ivysaur literally has the STRONGEST UpSmash in the entire game. Yes, even stronger than Fox's,

• Or the fact that her Dsmash has a very high chance of tripping at low percents. All of her spore attacks are heavily disjointed
  • Or that her shield roll (which is very fast btw) has very good IASA frames at the end.
  • Or that her Utilt with correct timing, can completely avoid certain incoming grounded attacks. SH Nair also autocancels before Ivy touches the ground which mean she can either Bullet Seed for a safer landing or she can follow up with a DJ and whichever move of her choice.
Practicality of a character's resources is dependent only on the 6 factors that I labled above. Where as I said before, the tier list is made up of what incomplete characters haven't discovered yet against all of the others that have been gravitated towards because of a more commercialized showcasing of them that the incomplete ones don't have much of. Acknowledging some of the strength's isn't the same as acknowledging all of them. My point is that you are only looking at them from the cons looooooong before you even consider looking at the pros of them. I saw that same video as well. The idea was never to cover up a character's limitations; but to capitalize on all of their strength's to make up for those same limitations. Regardless of who you play, if you don't believe in the character you are playing as, what is the point? The characters along with the resources are just like swords or nunchucks in Martial Arts; They are simply an extension of yourself.

Gimpyfish knew all of this knowing that Bowser is buns in comparison to the other more commercialized characters, but that didn't stop him from nearly single-handedly making Bowser good. AmSa also knows this as Yoshi. He acknowledges the weaknesses of his character, but that clearly didn't stop him from turning that character into the godly Melee dinosaur you see him as now. Again, they knew not only what their resources were, but how to apply them. Building up from the metamorphosis of given talents/aptitudess (Skill-> Process->Result) Creativity for example:

Creativity(Skill)-> Innovation (Process) -> Invention (Result)

Creativity never covers up limitations, but you would be verrry surprised what all of what it does do for you.

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
Karaoke Man said:
Who is saying that certain characters don't have any unique traits? What are these resources being frequently compared to? I honestly have no idea because literally EVERY character in the game have their own unique traits
You're misrepresenting my argument (pretty sure you're strawmanning it, but some people don't like that so I'll just say misrepresenting). Melee Jigglypuff had the fastest airspeed, and Yoshi had a way to powershield any single hit and act with zero lag. These are traits that someone can take as far as they'll be pushed to make a character's playstyle fundamentally different from others (Yoshi is the only character who can punish one for shining, since parry jab is shorter time than the lag of a shine before one can jump out - and parry nair I think is too since jump squat time). Ivysaur doesn't have some unique trait on how she moves or blocks that makes her able to play the game in a fundamentally different way - she's slow, frail, and laggy - none of that can be pushed to the extreme and exploited in the way that fastest air speed or perfect shield countering can be, at least in part because those are negatives, not positives.

Karaoke Man said:
Ivysaur literally has the STRONGEST UpSmash in the entire game. Yes, even stronger than Fox's
Well so what? Fox usmash is good, but it's hard to land anyway (how often do raw usmashs happen? Really? You think Nairo or Zero's gonna walk into one) and Ivysaur's has a ton more startup, and she can't combo into it (she doesn't have grab release to usmash - and by the way, with Fox having that, and having a better recovery, still loses to MK and a few other characters).

Karakoke Man said:
  • Or the fact that her Dsmash has a very high chance of tripping at low percents. All of her spore attacks are heavily disjointed
  • Or that her shield roll (which is very fast btw) has very good IASA frames at the end.
  • Or that her Utilt with correct timing, can completely avoid certain incoming grounded attacks. SH Nair also autocancels before Ivy touches the ground which mean she can either Bullet Seed for a safer landing or she can follow up with a DJ and whichever move of her choice.
Marth's attacks are heavily disjointed, less laggy, and he loses to MK still (and Dedede). Dsmash is laggy enough that you can't really follow up the trip (at last check - maybe you can jab them or something), and eating punishment for whiffed dsmash is nasty (same as usmash).

Pretty sure MK's roll is just as good, if not better (if I'm not mistaken, best forward roll in game, and an average back roll). Lucario has rolls that are just as solid too.

If you're dodging with utilt, you need to learn what spotdodging is, since it's less laggy and also beats aerial attacks )maybe has mild use in teams I guess). SH nair is hardly a scary approach, but if you bullet seed and whiff you're hosed (admittedly it's good damage, but people won't walk into nair -> bullet seed more than once), and if she DJs she has to hit them/land safely or she's a juggle away from a quick death. (Ivysaur double jumping just says "C'mon rush in and hit me upward, then test your ability to smack me offstage and grab ledge).

So she's got like 4 good attacks [and more I'm sure you're willing to analyze]? The problem with your analysis is that you're looking strictly as some upside that will NEVER occur when you're playing a good MK/ICs/Marth/Falco/whomever. Ivysaur's attacks are just too laggy and punishable to make her a good character unless you get every read in the world, at which point you'd be better off just playing a better character who is more efficient than Ivysaur at KOing. I don't care if you have all the creativity in the world, at the end of the day if I just read what you're going to do, I have a decent chunk of time to avoid and punish a very large amount of Ivysaur's moveset, and she's not got any stellar KO potential (unless I walk into usmash, and again, I'm already watching for it and looking to avoid it) so she's just not very good.

Karaoke Man said:
Gimpyfish knew all of this knowing that Bowser is buns in comparison to the other more commercialized characters, but that didn't stop him from nearly single-handedly making Bowser good
That's just the problem. Gimpyfish didn't make Bowser good. He did manage to make the character's name not a complete joke (as has DJNintendo), but at the end of the day, no one is ever going to beat a top player with Bowser, unless said top player is sandbagging hardcore - Bowser is just too bad to be able to deal with what Melee top tiers can do, and the same is true of Ivysaur. Sure, you can use Ivysaur, and you can definitely beat someone unfamiliar with the MU, but all of your advice about Ivysaur's awesome moves, literally all of it, loses to properly spaced MK SH fair (hits out of usmash startup, jumps the dsmash, read roll or low enough endlag to where you're just chasing Ivysaur around, which MK should take little issue with, hits utilt, longer range than SH nair, can hit out of bullet seed) and I think properly spaced Mach Tornado as well (yeah yeah bair beats it, but it does 4%, and bair is pretty telegraphed as is - you aren't going in for a utilt if you use it, and many MKs honestly probably don't care about the 4% because it puts them in ftilt pressure range, which is not a comfy spot for Ivysaur).

If you're just encouraging someone to give the character a try in the attempt to win some locals with some diversity, then by all means, sure, I'll step out and you can offer all kinds of interesting advice to get them ahead and beating some local palyers. But it's not going to be enough to make Ivysaur climb the tier list, because she's just not going to be able to match the frame traps, juggling, recovery, and damage output of a good top-tier character, and she has to commit far more than they do if she wants to make a read.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Yes, it is based primarily off of what they can't do, which honestly is a problem. What Kirby has is the answer to one question. How about the other 5 factors?

• When you should use it
  • Why it's being applied in the circumstancial scenario.
  • Who is going to benifit from the result of using said move at that certain point
  • How appliying said options will support your method of using it.
  • Where it's being applied is also important
Kirby does have only have 2 reliable kill moves when you consider that it's only in terms of knockback from the onstage position with a high %. With that being said, let's take Kirby's Dair for example. Obviously, regardless of what % you're at or whatever character you are, you will go to great lengths to avoid getting hit by this move offstage. You already know why; The position it will put you in will make it very unlikely...in a lot of cases even impossible for you being able to reach the stage/ledge at that point. Or what about using it Kirby's Uair on the opponent near the top boundary as low as maybe 60-ish%? If you approach the facts from a different angle such as this, many of Kirby's other moves have roughly the same, but more convenient KO potential with correct application. While it's also dependent on other factors like DI and such, my point is that those factors should always be taken into account before people make generalizations about characters and tier list placements. All 6 of those factors should be taken into account and not soley for What they are or "aren't" able to do when said things haven't been researched/discovered enough.

The 5 W's + the H can solve a looooot of things when applied.

Creativity(Skill)-> Innovation (Process) -> Invention (Result) -> Optimism (Lies) -> Application (Disappointment)

Creativity never covers up limitations, but you would be verrry surprised what all of what it does do for you.
Don't know which opponent that will be that close to the boundary at 60% that will lead to a KO, but sure I will take that bunk reasoning and DI Dair, really? Stop trying to ignore the writing on the wall. I said 2 RELIABLE not SITUATIONAL killing moves. The gimmick tactics (which you have listed) can be punished by an aware player. Your approach of the character is quite slanted to make it seem like each character has positive traits without any repercussions is is astounding as it almost seems like you want to ignore the flaws of the character while praising them. I hate your your tyraids also because it makes you sound so arrogant. Every time I see a reply from you as blame everyone is just not as "creative" enough for you. For a game that has been out for 6 years, the creative juices have either dried or are drying up. Also when you were talking about Kirby's DI Dair, if I approached it from your angle, Kirby's jabs would be one of the best as it infinites and and has above average range. See we all can look from different angles!

Karaoke Man

Smash Apprentice
Don't know which opponent that will be that close to the boundary at 60% that will lead to a KO, but sure I will take that bunk reasoning and DI Dair, really? Stop trying to ignore the writing on the wall. I said 2 RELIABLE not SITUATIONAL killing moves. The gimmick tactics (which you have listed) can be punished by an aware player. Your approach of the character is quite slanted to make it seem like each character has positive traits without any repercussions is is astounding as it almost seems like you want to ignore the flaws of the character while praising them. I hate your your tyraids also because it makes you sound so arrogant. Every time I see a reply from you as blame everyone is just not as "creative" enough for you. For a game that has been out for 6 years, the creative juices have either dried or are drying up. Also when you were talking about Kirby's DI Dair, if I approached it from your angle, Kirby's jabs would be one of the best as it infinites and and has above average range. See we all can look from different angles!

Lmfao. My dude, please don't put words in my mouth. Don't even try. Because you completely missed the part where I said "for example". I also said many of his moves, not ALL of them.

Lol, every time I see you reply, you continue to spew the same parasitic, pessimistic bull**** that the rest of this Community gets brainwashed with. Never did I say that it wouldn't ever have consequences...When does any move or character "never" have consequences? You have "arrogance" very confused my friend. What, am I supposed to dwell on her weaknesses and banish her to the shadow realm like everyone else has? Where has that gotten' us? Nowhere at all. Is it that you want me to completely overlook all the strengths that you aren't even aware of because of your apparent lack of research? Or am I supposed to sit here act like what you said is all positive, when it isn't? What makes you think a lot of these characters don't have positive traits at all? Quite frankly, you're right. It's not "creative" enough for me. Why? Because majority of the metagames are still under-developed, but you are completely okay with that and when you discover the "top tier" in Smash 4, you will run into this exact same issue. You will completely disregard any positive aspect of any character that's not in the top 5. Mainly, because you won't be aware of any of them. I am not arrogant; I just know what I'm talking about.

With that being said, you don't hate my "tyraids"; You hate the fact that I don't have this robotic way of agreeing with a popular opinion that promotes the very same elitism that we are trying to get rid of. The fact that OPTIMISM is so rare in this community that I'm being cyber-frisked to this extent for expressing a more positive perception of what you have barely researched anything on, is just...sad. Yoshi is widely considered "bad" too. I may not be the best player in the world, but I AM one of the best (if not currently the best) Brawl Yoshi's on this continent. Not by arrogance, but by reputation. I didn't achieve that overnight.

And It wasn't by listening to every single person constantly telling me to "pick a better character because he can't jump Oos", either.

Thor

Smash Champion
Karaoke Man said:
Because majority of the metagames are still under-developed, but you are completely okay with that and when you discover the "top tier" in Smash 4, you will run into this exact same issue. You will completely disregard any positive aspect of any character that's not in the top 5. Mainly, because you won't be aware of any of them. I am not arrogant; I just know what I'm talking about.
I'm probably not even gonna really care about Smash 4 tier lists for at least 3 years, unless someone has a Sheik-type dthrow CG on most of the cast, at which point I'd probably accept that they are at least high tier because of the ability to just **** on most of the cast with a grab.

Unless it's Jigglypuff as #1, because that's pretty much inevitable. As is Fox in Z tier.

Puff #1, Fox for Z tier.

You say you know what you're talking about, but you aren't giving a rational analysis of both sides of using a move. For all the moves, you can list all the pros in the world, but if you don't list the cons, you aren't fairly analyzing the character, and to be frank, it doesn't make you look like you know what you're talking about at all.

And once again, I'm not saying you can't become very very good with a character who is bad (Vermanubis, Fonz, Mofo in Melee, DJN in Melee, etc.), I'm just saying that becoming good at a character who still has a slew of crippling flaws will not raise them up on the tier list by some significant margin (Yoshi had exactly one in Melee, or I guess two if you count his no third jump, but he has DJ armor and can also parry and shield drop and save his jump to mitigate them, while Jigglypuff has none besides I guess light weight in Melee, and she has zero-death combos that sort of make up for that, as well as extreme evasion - Ivysaur does not have benefits like that, but still has a bad recovery and laggy attacks).

Last edited:

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi

Lmfao. My dude, please don't put words in my mouth. Don't even try. Because you completely missed the part where I said "for example". I also said many of his moves, not ALL of them.

Lol, every time I see you reply, you continue to spew the same parasitic, pessimistic bull**** that the rest of this Community gets brainwashed with. Never did I say that it wouldn't ever have consequences...When does any move or character "never" have consequences? You have "arrogance" very confused my friend. What, am I supposed to dwell on her weaknesses and banish her to the shadow realm like everyone else has? Where has that gotten' us? Nowhere at all. Is it that you want me to completely overlook all the strengths that you aren't even aware of because of your apparent lack of research? Or am I supposed to sit here act like what you said is all positive, when it isn't? What makes you think a lot of these characters don't have positive traits at all? Quite frankly, you're right. It's not "creative" enough for me. Why? Because majority of the metagames are still under-developed, but you are completely okay with that and when you discover the "top tier" in Smash 4, you will run into this exact same issue. You will completely disregard any positive aspect of any character that's not in the top 5. Mainly, because you won't be aware of any of them. I am not arrogant; I just know what I'm talking about.

With that being said, you don't hate my "tyraids"; You hate the fact that I don't have this robotic way of agreeing with a popular opinion that promotes the very same elitism that we are trying to get rid of. The fact that OPTIMISM is so rare in this community that I'm being cyber-frisked to this extent for expressing a more positive perception of what you have barely researched anything on, is just...sad. Yoshi is widely considered "bad" too. I may not be the best player in the world, but I AM one of the best (if not currently the best) Brawl Yoshi's on this continent. Not by arrogance, but by reputation. I didn't achieve that overnight.

And It wasn't by listening to every single person constantly telling me to "pick a better character because he can't jump Oos", either.
......... There is too much wrong here. Even with this so called "parasitic, pessimistic, BS" this community spews, people still main the characters they want to main, regardless of the community claims. The community is here to explain why not every character is equal, not to completely squash one's dreams of being a MT or LT main. Your "analysis" is off because you seem only to be talking about the pros which is cool and all, but without the cons, present, it makes it seem very skewed and unfair to call it an analysis. I main DK. I love DK and know he has the best HORIZONTAL survival skills of any character, great reach on majority of his attacks, good power, and above average speed. Your "analysis" of character would stop there, which is wrong as each character has flaws ie CG all, horribly predictable recovery, awful endlag, slow/low jumps, etc. Without equally addressing the cons of a character, this makes all "analysis" void. You don't dwell on the weaknesses of the character though, you acknowledge that it exists.

All characters have positive traits, but it's based on how can they outweigh the negative traits, just like in life man. The metagame is always changing, so I don't believe that there is much underdeveloping, unless you want undermine the top pros (which is fine if you back it up with results). NO I won't run into the same issue in Smash 4 as DK was top tier in Brawl yet fell to MT as the meta was changing.

Mainly, because you won't be aware of any of them. I am not arrogant; I just know what I'm talking about.
Again you're undermining people and coming up with red herrings and presenting too many ad hominems to take seriously. I believe that you know HALF of what you're talking about as you want to only address the pros of a character. I will be aware of positive traits as that is attributed to EVERY character, but the cons are mostly specific which is why people look at the cons also.

I may not be the best player in the world, but I AM one of the best (if not currently the best) Brawl Yoshi's on this continent. Not by arrogance, but by reputation. I didn't achieve that overnight.
......Raptor breh. Don't even front here. Bet Z'zgashi, AirJay, could whoop you, but that is a different subject altogether.

....I choose my characters because I like them too, but that doesn't prove your philosophy much because people often do choose characters they like to main for the game (there may be an eventual character switch), but a lot of people play the character they like regardless of what cons are given to them. You assume people here don't know how to adjust ti the situation at all or are in a serious rut when they play, and that you're the sole clear-minded to play. Please, get over yourself.

With that being said, you don't hate my "tyraids"; You hate the fact that I don't have this robotic way of agreeing with a popular opinion that promotes the very same elitism that we are trying to get rid of. The fact that OPTIMISM is so rare in this community that I'm being cyber-frisked to this extent for expressing a more positive perception of what you have barely researched anything on, is just...sad.
No, I do hate your self deluded tyraids. Your rants are nothing new in community and are the same ones I see made by people who don't play the game competitively...come on man. I don't know what elitism you're talking about because as long you do well with ANY character, people will learn to respect the character (DLA, Will, Verm, San, Shaky, Ryo and of course aMSa). An outsider looking in may say that it's elitist, but all it is is a realist's POV. OPTIMISM is nothing new on this site so get over yourself breh, but your claiming to know more things than some other people while analyzing less than half of what people should know. This is a disgusting and fallacious practice that also isn't unique, but is different to be this adamant about it. You claim that I don't do my research, I know all the research (not the best on frame data numbers though, but could spout some of them) on the characters that interest me, (DK, Wolf, Luigi, PT, Ness, Yoshi, Ganon the Manon, Ike). I even do broad research, but not to the same extent as the aforementioned, but it should suffice.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
@ Z'zgashi Z'zgashi - I use Charizard and Bowser a lot, and I have to say that Charizard's set of aerials is much better (only worse aerials are f-air and u-air imo, and not even by that much), it's just Charizard's horrible mobility almost completely impairs their usefulness (except for d-air).

@ Karaoke Man Karaoke Man - You make strong arguments for the viability of characters, and you actually use them to prove some of your hypotheses (I full well remember the '08 days when Yoshi was the butt of every Brawl joke, then you and other dedicated Yoshi players like Poltergeist came along and broke the barriers), and while you aren't entirely ignoring Ivysaur's and Charizard's numerous shortcomings, I think you might be ignoring the significance of said shortcomings. The reason it seems Zzgashi, Man Li Gi, and Thor are only paying attention to Ivysaur's and Charizard's negative traits is because said traits are more influential on their metagames than the positive ones. For example, Charizard may have good aerials, but it can't get the most out of them because of how awkward and slow it is in the air; its bad mobility quashes its aerials' utility. Ivysaur has similar problems; its b-air's lack of hurtboxes is great, but the attack itself is extremely weak in terms of both damage and knockback, and Ivysaur (like Charizard) has terrible air speed, hindering the attack's usefulness.

On creativity, you're mostly right. I think that, especially today, when someone plays a low tier character, they try to "role play" with that character, using them as they would a character higher on the tier list that outclasses them. For example, Ivysaur is oftentimes played like Olimar (SH aerials, ledge camping, retreating with Razor Leaf as with Pikmin Throw), and like you've told me before, Mario is oftentimes played like Luigi (no one uses Cape much, if at all). Lack of creativity definitely contributes to lack of development in the metagame. I'm a little bit more optimistic that smashers have tried over these long 6 years to make their low- or mid-tier main(s) ascend the ranks, and it's only worked so far with Yoshi, Sonic, Fox, Zero Suit Samus, Olimar, the Ice Climbers (lol), and Diddy Kong. Characters like Mario, the Pokemon Trainer, and Ganondorf are pretty much locked into their current positions, even considering creative techniques. Mario has no finishers outside of smash attacks, the Pokemon Trainer has an impractical gimmick, and Ganondorf is too slow.

It's important, however, that we not confuse being creative with being situational in terms of a move's/technique's viability. The only instance in which Mario, for example, can use F.L.U.D.D. to aid his abysmal recovery is when he's far away from and well above the stage, otherwise it's easily punished or Mario misses the ledge and gets edgehogged (F.L.U.D.D. doesn't sweetspot). It is therefore situational. Being overreliant on specific circumstances never bodes well for any character. The Cape, on the other hand, is a magnificent tool that wrongfully doesn't see much use on the stage.

Furthermore, I think the term "bad" isn't distributed to low tiers out of bias, but from seeing how they play. My definition of using a character most effectively is acknowledging their flaws, avoiding situations where these flaws can be capitalized on, and simultaneously using the full extent of their strengths. The way I see it, low tier characters are defined as having flaws more prominent than their strengths, and a low cap on their potential outside of gimmicks, and Charizard and Ivysaur unfortunately fit those criteria.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Might I add, i've always felt the tier list wasn't so much an objective basis of "good" vs. "bad" so much as it is a reflection of a character's potential given the reasonable extent of a player's ability to use that character. In other words, how good a character can be with the level of play we've been able to gleam from them. If every character were put at TAS level and a game were played, it would be much closer a match than what we might expect given a particular match-up. However we don't have the skill required to do half of the techniques we see most characters do in TAS matches and thus we're limited to the resources only we can use.

I think Ice Climbers is a rather good example of this. I've always felt that if they were played to their absolute optimum, Ice Climbers would be able to beat MK out on the tier list and everyone else by having supreme knowledge of how to set up and follow through with CGs. But no ICs player on earth is currently that good. Even 9B still drops grabs when he gets them and it is possible to keep him out using good reads to avoid grabs when you have to touch the ground, etc. As a result, ICs is still 2nd because the techniques currently known to MK users allow them easier match-ups than it does what we know of ICs.

The reason I think this links directly to your argument is because you've mentioned things about what characters can do vs. what they could do. And let me say I think the shifting and morphing of these boundaries is actually what's still keeping out metagame changing today. Still, many characters suffer due to the lack of particular playstyle options they might otherwise be able to utilise, and while it might be all well and good to say "well these characters surely have ways they can achieve better playstyles", at the end of the day we still need to find those and utilise those which is actually pretty hard (which links to what Ninjakoopa was saying a bit in that many LT chars are played like HTs when there might be other ways out there for them to be played). :p

I absolutely love and respect LT players and I think the world of people who are able to walk into a tournament and have everyone scared of their link or their mario. As a LT player myself I would love the idea of new playstyles or otherwise strategies found out for LTs that would allow them greater viability. I do, however, feel that there are better characters out there than Lucas (in case you couldn't tell, I used him as an example because he's my main :p) in terms of what we currently know. But that doesn't stop me from loving lucas, it doesn't stop me from trying anyway and it doesn't stop me from putting all my effort in to outplay a person anyway. I'm doing okay over here, and even if these are our last Brawl tournaments i'm pretty proud of what I've done.

In the end, although I think some of your reasoning is a little flawed due to the reasons i've stated above, I do respect your argument and your position. I think it could be argued potentially that peeps need to just try harder with certain characters even after 6 years (I know it sounds harsh though haha) and I think there's certainly room for our meta to change and the list to shift. As to how much it would shift... I think there's still a lot we don't know, but that's just me. :)

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
NH Cody said:
no this tier list is wrong it puts toonlink below a fat penguin and a berserk dog painted blue this is unacceptable.
When the tier list is based on aesthetics we'll all be sure to consult you for how to organize it. But that's not how this thing is sorted.

Last edited:

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
@ Z'zgashi Z'zgashi - I use Charizard and Bowser a lot, and I have to say that Charizard's set of aerials is much better (only worse aerials are f-air and u-air imo, and not even by that much), it's just Charizard's horrible mobility almost completely impairs their usefulness (except for d-air).

@ Karaoke Man Karaoke Man - You make strong arguments for the viability of characters, and you actually use them to prove some of your hypotheses (I full well remember the '08 days when Yoshi was the butt of every Brawl joke, then you and other dedicated Yoshi players like Poltergeist came along and broke the barriers), and while you aren't entirely ignoring Ivysaur's and Charizard's numerous shortcomings, I think you might be ignoring the significance of said shortcomings. The reason it seems Zzgashi, Man Li Gi, and Thor are only paying attention to Ivysaur's and Charizard's negative traits is because said traits are more influential on their metagames than the positive ones. For example, Charizard may have good aerials, but it can't get the most out of them because of how awkward and slow it is in the air; its bad mobility quashes its aerials' utility. Ivysaur has similar problems; its b-air's lack of hurtboxes is great, but the attack itself is extremely weak in terms of both damage and knockback, and Ivysaur (like Charizard) has terrible air speed, hindering the attack's usefulness.

On creativity, you're mostly right. I think that, especially today, when someone plays a low tier character, they try to "role play" with that character, using them as they would a character higher on the tier list that outclasses them. For example, Ivysaur is oftentimes played like Olimar (SH aerials, ledge camping, retreating with Razor Leaf as with Pikmin Throw), and like you've told me before, Mario is oftentimes played like Luigi (no one uses Cape much, if at all). Lack of creativity definitely contributes to lack of development in the metagame. I'm a little bit more optimistic that smashers have tried over these long 6 years to make their low- or mid-tier main(s) ascend the ranks, and it's only worked so far with Yoshi, Sonic, Fox, Zero Suit Samus, Olimar, the Ice Climbers (lol), and Diddy Kong. Characters like Mario, the Pokemon Trainer, and Ganondorf are pretty much locked into their current positions, even considering creative techniques. Mario has no finishers outside of smash attacks, the Pokemon Trainer has an impractical gimmick, and Ganondorf is too slow.

It's important, however, that we not confuse being creative with being situational in terms of a move's/technique's viability. The only instance in which Mario, for example, can use F.L.U.D.D. to aid his abysmal recovery is when he's far away from and well above the stage, otherwise it's easily punished or Mario misses the ledge and gets edgehogged (F.L.U.D.D. doesn't sweetspot). It is therefore situational. Being overreliant on specific circumstances never bodes well for any character. The Cape, on the other hand, is a magnificent tool that wrongfully doesn't see much use on the stage.

Furthermore, I think the term "bad" isn't distributed to low tiers out of bias, but from seeing how they play. My definition of using a character most effectively is acknowledging their flaws, avoiding situations where these flaws can be capitalized on, and simultaneously using the full extent of their strengths. The way I see it, low tier characters are defined as having flaws more prominent than their strengths, and a low cap on their potential outside of gimmicks, and Charizard and Ivysaur unfortunately fit those criteria.

... My friends use FLUDD as a gimping tool against me so, I guess that's how it was supposed to play out.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I do agree with you on this, Charizard does have a better nair, and dair (and arguable bair, both Zard and Bowser have great bairs but theyre used for different things entirely), but the main reason I believe Bowser to be better is the exact reason you mentioned to KM about Zard, his lack of aerial mobility. Bowser has much better air mobility in Brawl (Bowser is actually just short of top 10 best air speed) and has added mobility with his Klaw hopping, allowing him to mix up landings much better than Zard can.

One thing though, Zards nair is ****ing baller and I wish Bowser had it lol.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi

Thor

Smash Champion
Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir said:
I wish I could like this post more than once
I'll like it as a pseudo-second like for you.

Wait, in those videos why is V115 going ZSS when he should be going Marth and going Marth when he should be going ZSS?

Thor

Smash Champion
Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir said:
Because he's a ZSS main and uses ZSS in tournament. The Marth match was not tournament.
I was joking when I made that post, because Lucas grab released... oh never mind.

Using V115's Marth as a baseline for tier placement is like using M2K's Falco as a way to rank him in Melee - it's just a bad idea.

Last edited:

Karaoke Man

Smash Apprentice
@ Man Li Gi Man Li Gi ; While I agree with majority of what you and others have said, I want shed light on the fact that I've never truly made any sort of "analysis" on any of the characters/moves. What you must realize is the difference between an analysis and a perception. Looking at the facts and deriving information on the data, is fine, but regardless of knowing what it does, it is equally important to recognize the possibilities of how you can apply that same data. As there's never truly one way to go about utilizing resources at your disposal. In which Luco was nearly 100% right when he mentioned "What you can do vs what you could do", but rather it's "what you have + what you can do with it." It's kind of like how in Naruto (dunno if you're a fan of it or not), Naruto for the most part was mainly proficient at using shadow clones. While it was initially used for gathering intel; he found inventive ways to extend the capabilities of his own resources. Such as using his clones as a barrier, lasso, executing multiple techniques in large quantity, while still being able to strategize from the intel gathered from his clones. Etc

Previously, people know me better as "MX" the Yoshi player, as "Karaoke Man" is a much more recent tag change, but I've been around since 2009. Raptor and I are fairly close in terms of skill, though even he's told me that I'm a better player. Difference being that he's able to go to more tournies cause' of his area. I've never played Gashi or Airjay and I'm not saying it's impossible for them to beat me. Heck, I'm not even saying that it's unlikely, but believe me when I say that I'm much better than you currently you think I am and am a notable Yoshi player much like Delta up there. No cockiness intended or anything (I have a lot of accomplishments/ results under my previous tag).

I do sincerely apologize if I came off as arrogant, or even a bit brash, but I want to explain why I'm so adamantly being such a stick in the mud about this; it isn't because I doubt you guys know your stuff about the facts on the tangible information (Frame data, hitboxes, knockback etc) things, but I don't think you realize the subliminal influence that it has on the people viewing the threads, Youtube videos and such with this data. Especially ones with the incomplete data.

There isn't ever a time where I don't acknowledge a character's weakness as that's probably one of the first things you should do when deciding on one. The way that it's done in most character boards is that they're mainly concerned with just the data and the factual physics of the character. However, I will never approach the learning curve of a character from that angle. Reason being is because, unless the data contains nearly jaw-dropping traits, the brain is wired to be much more prone to avoid and harp on things that are widely viewed as "bad" in comparison to data that you 'd get from someone like...Falco per se, but this is all done without very much of the consideration of how you can put that data to use in other ways that aren't yet so commercialized. Unfortunately, without that consideration, that already imbalances a fully thought-out informative guide on dissecting the capabilities about a said character, but in probably the worst way possible as then the character is generalized in a bad connotation. (The term "bad character" implying a comparison between a "good character" which... is all relatively subjective). For the overall research, you do need the facts, but you absolutely MUST have the abstracts as well!

What that all means is; that generalization is actually not based off of an analysis at all. The generalizations are based on a perception. A perception that is based on seemingly less than 50% of the research done to make any organized fit of criteria such as the tier list. So when you release the data without the abstracts, it will always be implied that you are trying to challenge/compare one move to another in terms of a head-to-head. Instead of weighing the possibilities of extending the capabilities of the resources. This is why it is mistakenly branded as "bad" because it is being compared in this manner. Worst part being is that the generalization is very, very contagious...

Approaching the learning curve of a character from this manner is pretty much like shutting off your mind to consider any of the possibilities; it discourages the motivation to push the boundaries of your own limits. But of course that gap has to be filled with something. Which in just this thread (or any tier list thread with dispersed criteria) alone, it's creating more of a "Path of Least Resistance" for the players viewing it.

So when you brand off the facts from the data (analysis) without even considering the possibilities with a more abstract/open-mind (perception), it is indirectly and passively encouraging players to steer clear of said characters and to pick a "better" character. And in Brawl, I'm pretty sure you all are aware of what that means;

This "Path of Least Resistance" is what has driven players to even abandon their mains and try to quickly filling the individual, aesthetic boundary gap by maining Meta Knight.

Man Li Gi, I genuinely believe you when you personally said that you play DK because of your love of the character, however the more "mainstream" Smash players (the ones that "lurk" the tier list threads and any other form of broadcasted Competitive Smash media.) are seemingly devoid of this type of self-value; Because if the majority REAAAALLY wanted to play their beloved character so much, 90% of the entire Brawl Community would not "coincidentally" be composed of the best character in the game.

The only reason I'm only mentioning Meta Knight and not Ice Climbers or any of the other top tiers, is because, while he's not invincible, Meta Knight single-handedly destroys our counter-pick system. It doesn't matter what stage it is, because of the attributes of his character, he is not disadvantaged by this and he never will be, period. 6 years of overabundant domination has definitely proven this. This isn't just me being picky either as the domination isn't directly the issue; it's the over-centralization of that domination that is literally giving players' a more falsified indication of competitive growth at the expense of throwing away their own individual sense of value.

It both encourages gets them to take on a more defeatist mentality as a spawn of their newly approached elitism. All because they were led to believe their character was "bad" when they could've potentially turned it into something amazing. Also, when I mentioned elitism in an earlier post, I didn't mean towards you personally. What I meant was;

The imperial elitism over the Competitive Smash Community as a whole, In the way that I elaborated above.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
MX, while you can maybe find ways to use a character's data creatively to solve situations that character is faced with, the problem that arises is that "bad" characters just don't have the raw data to compete with that of the top tiers.

Like, I tried forever to fight Meta Knights, but it literally became a matter of losing to the frame data. No matter how many situations I set up, there's just not always an answer to blindingly fast, high range, high damaging attacks. Sure, you can maybe worm your way into a few favorable situations, but as a match goes on, the raw data will overpower you again and again and again. Sometimes there just isn't really anything you can do to moves like Shuttle Loop or Tornado. Maybe if you can see it coming and have time to set up your own counter, but then you're maybe losing to any of the other 50 options present in that situation.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I totally agree with the subliminal messaging thing that goes on. I don't think people intend it but that's definitely how it ends up coming across and it's probably one of the more detrimental things we've done over the years to ourselves.

Top Bottom