• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official SWF Matchup Chart v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKD

Smash Lord
thanks, shaya. now i feel bad for bashing on the project. the chart looks very nice. i'm sure more and more people will agree on more match-ups if we all just continue evolving.

snake on pika/zss, mvd? they're both even, i'm guessing?

"The people that think they know everything really annoy those of us who do"
-anon
i could really say the same. i don't think it's a coincidence that m2k and top socal players consistently agree with my opinions. but i'll stop forcing it on others as much. i'll just keep playing and let you see :)

M@v

Subarashii!
Yeah I'm sure as new mu charts are made, things will get more and more accurate(like the tier list)

:phone:

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I want prove you wrong but I'm too stupid to do so until ssb4.

Have you even checked out (and read) the threads I linked you to?
Even if they're old, they still provide some good facts and info.

TKD

Smash Lord
my suggestion for the chart is to use numbers -2~2. it leads to more accuracy and i think it's all we need.

-2 countered
-1 disadvantage
0 very close
1 advantage
2 counter

examples would be...
-2 fox vs pika
-1 fox vs kirby
0 fox vs falco
1 fox vs lucario
2 fox vs link

counters range a ton, from snake vs ness to oli vs ganon, and they could have a lot of different numbers, but trying to determine how hard each counter is and making them all accurate including when compared to each other is almost impossible.

as i see it, as long as the match-up isn't recommended to be played in tournament, it's a counter, and simple +/-1 advantage/disadvantage isn't huge, but it's evident.

i've seen match-ups in this 5 number range for awhile and it's very simple and accurate to judge them that way.

it'd be umm...a nice possibility to consider for future charts...

| Big D |

Smash Master
I personally feel that DDD/Diddy is atleast -1.

Considering the fact that Dedede edge guards quite well, does have a chaingrab, kills early, and lives forever is enough reason to at least be only -1.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
No matter what, I cannot understand how Pikachu or all characters would be even with MK. What does Pikachu even have on MK? No range or groundgame good enough to challenge him or what?

Kantrip

Kantplay
I personally feel that DDD/Diddy is atleast -1.

Considering the fact that Dedede edge guards quite well, does have a chaingrab, kills early, and lives forever is enough reason to at least be only -1.
I agree with this sentiment. I don't necessarily see why Diddy has such a moderate advantage.

Cassio

Smash Master
The chart says -1 on kirby/pika yet on the individual character spreads, it's 0?

Which is which, lol? I'm starting to believe that there are a lot of mistakes here.
The chart says :mario2: vs. :metaknight: is -2, but the individual spread says -3

Should be -4 imo, but I'll take the -3
Why is Mario VS MK still -2
If you guys see mistakes like this its really good to point them out so they can be fixed.
thanks, shaya. now i feel bad for bashing on the project. the chart looks very nice. i'm sure more and more people will agree on more match-ups if we all just continue evolving.
Overall there was a very strong attempt to try and resolve MUs without a vote if at all possible. If it did have to come down to a vote since there was no other way to resolve it, the vote went to an unbiased panel that focused on the arguments made by each panel. Even though there were many contested MUs, a very large portion were agreed on and I think thats reflected in the charts accuracy. I feel like people probably agree with a large portion of the ratios, but as the ones they disagree with are the most contested there is more emotions about the few they find incorrect.
lmao @ pika mk even and fox mk isnt
The fox panel actually argued for even. Unfortunately they werent around to make their case and there was a difficult time trying to find fox panelists that would actively participate.
:metaknight: : :dedede: only +2

i knew i should've been more active

not that the MKs would listen anyway tho

sorry guys
This isnt fair at all. IMO the MK panel was one of the most reasonable and made plenty of concessions to those wanting a worse ratios. Anyone could just as easily call you stubborn instead, but this claim isnt fair either way.
Because we lost the :pikachu2: vs :wolf: matchup discussion...I'm still extremely salty how that ended up because it was honestly the dumbest way to decide the matchup....
Why is Pika on par with DDD for Wolf's worst MU? It's definitely manageable.

Why do we lose to Diddy?
Seagull you got your shot to try and make the ratio -2, it sounds like you wouldve called any process dumb that didnt result in a -2.

Sinister its more or less in the write-up. I could personally see it as a -2, but the results we have to go off of seem to indicate its a -3. Ive mentioned that if results could start reflecting a -2 that could be one that changes in the future.
Why is Wario even with Sheik? I thought it was +1 for Wario. Same question and statement for Pikachu.
There will be a write-up on wario:pikachu.

Also anyone else that wants a write-up on anything should vocally request it.
No matter what, I cannot understand how Pikachu or all characters would be even with MK. What does Pikachu even have on MK? No range or groundgame good enough to challenge him or what?
I wasn't a part of this project as I came into the BBR when things were wrapping up. Can I get an explanation on the Falco/mk being mk advantage? Are you taking into account mk's strong cps against falco?

Also I don't agree at all with pika being the ONLY even character vs mk. I'm sorry I can't accept it. I feel Diddy and falco both do better than pika does vs mk.

I personally feel pika loses, but I'm not arguing that. I just feel that if your going to put pika as even, falco and diddy need to be there too >_>
Pikachu doesn't go even with MK. He has to guess in order for him to even compete vs a good MK. ESAM beating M2K once proves nothing, since matchup ratios are partially decided by results as well as frame data and stuff. Though Pika has a lot of options to combat in the ground game, has a chain grab to nair, will rarely ever get gimped by MK (MK should just Tornado though), and can kill relatively early. But guessing doesn't make it even folks. It IS a close matchup, MK by no means destroys Pikachu.

If MK has the lead, all he has to do is Dair camp the rest of the game or even just shield camp. But that's too convenient of a conclusion.
The biggest change (MK being even with Pikachu) unfortunately was discussed to death in the previous topic. Shouldn't have given that away so early.
The funny thing is the most controversial MU for pika is the one that didnt change over another one that did, lol.

BC you honestly think the most obvious and frequently stated arguments werent considered by people who actually use each character?

Mav iirc there will be information about why falco does worse than pika in the write-up. And yeah CPs were considered when discussing MUs.
And you pikakids did everything they could through lying, cheating and sleeping with the people in power to get your spread as OP'd as possible.
;)

Laem

Smash Champion
D3 vs Diddy as -2 is perfectly reasonable.

my suggestion for the chart is to use numbers -2~2. it leads to more accuracy and i think it's all we need.

-2 countered
-1 disadvantage
0 very close
1 advantage
2 counter

examples would be...
-2 fox vs pika
-1 fox vs kirby
0 fox vs falco
1 fox vs lucario
2 fox vs link

counters range a ton, from snake vs ness to oli vs ganon, and they could have a lot of different numbers, but trying to determine how hard each counter is and making them all accurate including when compared to each other is almost impossible.

as i see it, as long as the match-up isn't recommended to be played in tournament, it's a counter, and simple +/-1 advantage/disadvantage isn't huge, but it's evident.

i've seen match-ups in this 5 number range for awhile and it's very simple and accurate to judge them that way.

it'd be umm...a nice possibility to consider for future charts...
That method is simple and effective. However how the f is it more accurate? It's less accurate, because there are less ratio's to choose from. I seriously don't understand. Likewise, when you broaden the ratios from -8 to 8, you get more accurate results. Problem with that is that the difference between e.g. -4 and -5 is hard and improbable to really determine. But it's more accurate given it's correct.
I don't see any of these methods superior to one another. It's accuracy versus efficiency, and the current system is a satisfactory middleway.

Anyway, haven't looked at ALL the MU's so far obviously, but I like what I see. Except marth and MK even vs pika of course.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
:mario2:

-4: :dedede:
-3: :metaknight: :snake: :falco:
-2: :diddy: :popo: :pit: :kirby2: :marth: :fox: :wolf:

These are what I believe to be Mario's real bad match-ups. Only characters Mario has an avantage against for sure are Falcon and Yoshi. Ganon, Zelda, Link and Puff are somewhere between 0 and +1 for Mario.

Ganon doesn't lose vs Mario, Luigi and Falcon imho.

:059:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
DDD can CG Mario and quasi infinite him. Mario loses a stock if DDD grabs him, loses a stock when he's offstage and loses a stock if he's hanging at the ledge. DDD can cover all of Mario's landing options too. None of that applies to MK.

:059:

BSP

Smash Legend
Minus 2 against Diddy is a stretch imo. I don't think we lose that badly. I also wouldn't put Falco in the same boat as MK; MK's much worse if you ask me.

I haven't played top level D3, so I won't say much on that, but I don't think he'd be that much different from MK. MK outranges and outspeeds Mario in every situation; it's really bad.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I'm wondering why exactly the ICs MU chart looks like that, if you're also taking into account the fact that you'll be playing on CPs.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Sometimes I post things that I know are right.
Other times, I just post things.

This is one of those times.

Snake v. ZSS is even, but I couldn't convince people of it.
Sadface.

It's okay, because I'm a Golden God though.

Schtizzel

Smash Cadet
I think at first some of the faults in the individual chart should be fixed. For example the MU DK vs CF. DK should have a +2 MU not a -2 against CF.

Please fix these faults!

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
This was a really fun project to work on, and I'm glad to help Bowser become more well-represented. :)

More writeups will be coming soon. If there's any MUs for any character you'd especially like to see, let us know.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
:mario2:

-4: :dedede:
-3: :metaknight: :snake: :falco:
-2: :diddy: :popo: :pit: :kirby2: :marth: :fox: :wolf:

These are what I believe to be Mario's real bad match-ups. Only characters Mario has an avantage against for sure are Falcon and Yoshi. Ganon, Zelda, Link and Puff are somewhere between 0 and +1 for Mario.

Ganon doesn't lose vs Mario, Luigi and
Falcon imho:059:
I don't normally comment on MUs because I'm not a level player but I have trouble believing Luigi doesn't lose to Ganondorf because Luigi absolutely destroys him once he gets inside. He's probably not that hard for Luigi to gimp
either

DUB

Smash Lord
Definitely improved since v1. ZSS vs. Falco moved to -1 from -2 is odd. Have ZSS been beating Falcos lately or something?

And Olimar vs DK now -3:urg:

Doc King

Smash Lord
:metaknight: : :dedede: only +2

i knew i should've been more active

not that the MKs would listen anyway tho

sorry guys
Thanks Coney! :awesome:
I think it's because of how Pikachu (Unlike Falco and Diddy) doesn't get gimped while having pretty good options on mk.

Anthon1996

Smash Ace
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
3DS FC
5301-0385-3871
Chain grabs.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
MK still easier that Icies for Dedede -_-
Wario still -3 for Ganon lmaowtf
Ice Climbers only -3 for Zelda :/

And that's just where it begins!

Glad to see the MK chart looks a LOT better.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Definitely improved since v1. ZSS vs. Falco moved to -1 from -2 is odd. Have ZSS been beating Falcos lately or something?

And Olimar vs DK now -3:urg:
ZSS have gotten better at gimping Falco.
Plus, Falco isn't harder for us than most of our -1 MUs.
I actually feel he is one of the easier -1s we have.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
*sees Ike at 0 against Mario, Bowser, and Jigglypuff*

*starts snickering loudly*

Anyhow, my other options are that the Pikachu panel was drunk for various discussions, and the MK panel just stopped caring because they know their character is going to be irrelevant very shortly.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I don't even see how Pikachu can land the CG reliably on MK. Unlike Falco, Pikachu can't combo 90% of his moves into a grab.

Anthon1996

Smash Ace
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
3DS FC
5301-0385-3871
Of course, that was just a wild guess. Pikachu does have a neat ground game and good killing power. I don't want to be Doc King 2.0 and talk about match ups I haven't even played, so I guess I'll shut up.

AfroTwist ShadowPie

Smash Journeyman
Link seems pretty accurate, except a couple of numbers that are obviously off. For instance, according to this thing Ike is about as hard for Link as Pikachu is, which is wrong because I can assure you that the Ike/Link match-up isn't any worse than -1 for Link.
There's a couple of other match-ups such as PT and Sonic that aren't close to as hard as a lot of the more obvious -2 match-ups as well. No big deal though.

Cassio

Smash Master
Most MUs brought up here were hot topics in the project as well. However at some point one number had to be determined over another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom