• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official NY/NJ/PA Melee Power Rankings! UPDATED 6/4/14

Ryobeat

Smash Ace

Panelists: Ryobeat, Captain Smuckers, Codi, The Moon, , Toxic, Sled, Vino

UPDATE: 6/4/14; This will now be the NJ/NY/PA power ranking.

This is the thread for the NJ/NY/PA Melee Power Ranking. It will showcase the highest level of active players in the region. Their ranks will be guided by their tournament results, but not solely determined by them. Their performances are also judged relative to their previous ranking.

A player is considered active;

If the said player is ranked in the previous period, he/she must attend 2 tournaments

If the said player isn't ranked in the previous period, he/she must attend 3 tournaments

*Each period is 3 months

Also, we will be using this rule from the SoCal Power Ranking System;
"A player will not be directly affected by his attendance if he is considered active by the rule above. However, he will be indirectly affected if players below him perform better in his absence. "

NOTICE! THE NEXT PR UPDATE WILL ONLY BE TOP 15!

UPDATED: 6/4/14

1: P4K EMP|Mew2king
2: VGBC|Hax
3: CTRL|The Moon
4: CTRL|DJ Nintendo
5: Zanguzen
6: Swedish Delight
7: APEX|Reno
8: G$
9: Animal
10: Captain Smuckers
11: Teczero
12: NY Joey
13: Qerb
14: Ryobeat
15: Emukiller

RESULTS: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D1QKhPpmm1XGAsoF2onK-s49N1l6t52WFjBF7Qt2I8k/edit

UPDATED 2/9/14

1. M2K (NJ)
2. Hax (NY)
3. The Moon (NY)
4. DJ Nintendo (NY)
5. Swedish Delight (NJ)
6. Reno (NY)
7. Stricnyn3 (NJ)
8. Zanguzen (NJ)
9. T.webb (NY)
10. G$ (NY)
11. Mafia (NJ)
12. Nando (NJ)
13. Emukiller (NJ)
14. Teczero (NJ)
15. Andrewajt62 (NY)
16. Ben Grimm(NY)
17. Knut (NY)
18. Phish it (NY)
19. Jsex (NJ)
20. Ryobeat (NJ)

RESULTS; https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dIqwWelROTh4hGe5lQngoJLkHroYNQdsf1dv_PHyX48/edit

11/17/13
1: M2K (+0)
2: Hax (+0)
3: DJ Nintendo (+0)
4: The Moon (+2)
5: Cactuar (NEW)
6: Stricnyn3 (+1)
7: G$ (+1)
8: Ben Grimm (+2)
9: T.webb (+0)
10: Teczero (NEW)
11: Reno (-6)
12: Mafia (NEW)
13: Nando (NEW)
14: Animal (NEW)
15: Codi (NEW)
16: Knut (-3)
17: Ryan K (-5)
18: Zanguzen (NEW)
19: Sol (NEW)
20: Phish-It (NEW)

Results: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OFqilrFGa2Vc-JuscJzQMSlQQWlEGWf0zIAM861Y3RM/edit

Don't like where you placed? Now you have a list of players you can beat to move up in the ranks :D

Previous Ranks (8/17/13)

1. CT M2K
2. CT Hax
3. CTRL DJ Nintendo
4. MGFC Swedish Delight
5. Reno
6. The Moon
7. MGFC Stricnyn3
8. G$
9. T.webb
10. Ben Grimm
11. OTG
12. Ryan K
13. Knut
14. MGFC Mr. F
15. Captain Smuckers
16. Ryobeat
17. Jsex
18. Joey Cheung
19. Copycat
20. Rykard

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15GWwxXUdggY-uyoFSvgKzkSlMB_myFCqlyP2leudbPg/edit

Last edited:

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
Just for the sake of everyone knowing, how did you guys come up with the list? What tournaments did you base it on, and how far back? I'm sure everyone is as curious as I am about how it was compiled together.

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
Just for the sake of everyone knowing, how did you guys come up with the list? What tournaments did you base it on, and how far back? I'm sure everyone is as curious as I am about how it was compiled together.

Me and the panelists looked through these tournament results https://docs.google.com/document/d/15GWwxXUdggY-uyoFSvgKzkSlMB_myFCqlyP2leudbPg/edit and any prior knowledge we had of the player and other tournaments before that meant alot. We might have made a few mistakes, if you find any, let me know so i can fix it for the next update.

Rykard

Smash Ace
what? This is the most surprising news of the day. I guess I have to prove that I've earned this even though I really don't see how

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
Any particular reason the results from Rescue 3 (http://smashboards.com/threads/rescue-3-presented-by-smashtournament-com-paramus-nj-7-27.339223/) were excluded from the google doc? I know most of the top 20 players weren't at that event so it wouldn't really have been discussed anyway; but it seems odd to simply exclude that data in its entirety
It is exactly that reason. There was one player we used it for, which was Jsex, but the results were a little misleading and not much not gather from it since 2 decent players went (kos and Jsex) We did use it when deciding when to put Jsex. But it wasn't completely ignored at all.

NNID
dansalvato
By any chance was I considered for this list?

edit: I guess I don't really go to enough tournaments, though, haha.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
if I'm on this list qerb should be as well. He beat copycat at zenith and should be around my (mr.f's) ranking since we both lost to vex at smashacre. Maybe below Ryobeat.

Basically, if you used the same standards to evaluate me, you should also have qerb on the list.

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
if I'm on this list qerb should be as well. He beat copycat at zenith and should be around my (mr.f's) ranking since we both lost to vex at smashacre. Maybe below Ryobeat.

Basically, if you used the same standards to evaluate me, you should also have qerb on the list.
The reason Qerb wasn't included was that he hasn't been to as many tournaments as you, and the ones he has, he hasn't placed as high. Like Smashare you got 9th, and Qerb got 25th. I was looking for the Top 13 placings of the past 2 months of tournaments (zenith not included), so that probably why. I personally can see qerb there, but i think he needs to go to more tournaments. Also remember, I will update this in 3 months, if he goes out to tournaments and places, he will get in

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
You should take into account more of "who did he lose to, who did he beat" at each tournament vs raw placing. That stuff matters far more, especially when you're using a bunch of data from small-medium sized tournaments where bracket difficulty varies wildly for each player. Juggleguy does (used to do) a pretty cool thing for the michigan power rankings where he listed notable wins and losses for each player. (including out of region performances. those matter even more imo.)

It's good that you guys are doing a PR though.

Sensei

Smash Lord
I plan on going to a MD/VA tournament this weekend and a Montreal tournament the next weekend. Will out of region tournaments count towards my PR?

Max?

Smash Champion
OTG active?

I mean last time I saw him, I bodied him in scarsdale

/shots

Sheik tho. MM me? I don't know why you're firing shots at me when I only play at tournies and have only made a comeback in the last two months. Barely played in the last two years. Show me the Fox or Marth. Oh wait, they'd get bopped.

Also, I posted this in the facebook group, but I'll post it again here. Outside of the top 3, I bop everyone in the top 10 (tho I've never played Swedish) and have for the last few months/years. I lost to the Moon at a tourney last week (first time he's ever beaten me in 2+ years) and Ben, but Ben's a fraud.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Ryobeat I did give some input to you but please you to remove my name as a panelist. I don't plan on having controlling input on a list especially if I start playing again and my name is on the list

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
You should take into account more of "who did he lose to, who did he beat" at each tournament vs raw placing. That stuff matters far more, especially when you're using a bunch of data from small-medium sized tournaments where bracket difficulty varies wildly for each player. Juggleguy does (used to do) a pretty cool thing for the michigan power rankings where he listed notable wins and losses for each player. (including out of region performances. those matter even more imo.)

It's good that you guys are doing a PR though.

Yeah we do that. Where would you say that it isn't included? I'll let you know how it works. It usually is we get the Top 13 of every tournament, pick out the high placing and consistent ones and then organize them based on results, who they beat, and knowledge of that player. I could see the flaw in that though. Someone who got 17th, upset someone, than lost to 2 big names could have happened. I understand that problem. Also, we do not do the out of region stuff, but I will start doing that this update. Sorry about someone confusion :) Qerb should be around that area, you are right, it was my mistake.

I plan on going to a MD/VA tournament this weekend and a Montreal tournament the next weekend. Will out of region tournaments count towards my PR?
Yes it will. I'm sorry I didn't do it in this one actually. But I will keep aware of it for the next update, I promise :)

Ryobeat I did give some input to you but please you to remove my name as a panelist. I don't plan on having controlling input on a list especially if I start playing again and my name is on the list
Okay, no problem
Salty that this isn't NY/NJ + Cactuar
I was thinking about it, but would you consider yourself active? Like , your 100% a great player in Top 5 area, but I don't know how much you would say you play. I'll put it in the next update if so :)

Also guys, sorry about the couple of problems. I don't want to necessarily make a new list because of problems, because they aren't huge and I can explain to you guys what I did wrong and what I'm gonna fix. It's also pretty general as a list, no one is really off, and the few people we're missing are for 1 places up. BUT, I'm going to keep notes on all the mistakes if you report more and fix it in the coming updates. I hope you guys don't mind! If so, let me know.

Top Bottom