• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR 2010 NTSC Tier List

Pita

Smash Apprentice
Seems like a pretty good tier list. Much better than that "Negligible tier" stuff where all the characters in any given tier are considered equal.

It's also kinda good that Samus dropped slightly, since her matchups aren't really that good, and this takes that into account.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Please please post about this. I'm really interested in this subject
Okay.

Let's say I have a game with n characters and I have a match-up chart with the characters for that game; since there are some slight variations in what a match-up chart's numbers mean, let's say the number in the row for character A and column for character B represents A's chance of beating B in a bo3 set using current tournament rules, assuming both players of each character are at the top level of play and know the match-up. I want to rank the characters solely based on how they perform against each other; an intuitive idea about how to do this would be to have the match-ups against characters that seem "good" in some sense count more than the match-ups against other characters. To make this more precise, we do the following:

First, label the characters c_1, c_2, ..., c_n and create an nxn matrix P whose i,j-th entry is c_i's chance of beating c_j, taken from the match-up chart; let p_i,j denote the i,j-th entry of P. As a first approximation for how good the characters are, we look at p_i,1 + p_i,2 + ... + p_i,n for each i between 1 and n, i.e. for each character, we find the sum of his/her/its odds of winning against all characters (including itself). Note that if we let X be the nx1 vector whose entries are all 1, then PX is a column vector whose i-th entry is the first approximation of how good c_i is. Let A_1 = PX.

For the second approximation, we do something similar, except that we want the match-ups against the characters that are good from the first approximation to have more weight than the match-ups against the ones that aren't. Let a_i denote the i-th entry of A_1 for each i. Now for each i, we take (a_1)(p_i,1)+(a_2)(p_i,2)+...+(a_n)(p_i,n) as the second approximation of how good c_i is. Note that the i-th entry of the vector P*A_1 is the second approximation for how good c_i is, and let A_2 = P*A_1. Note that A_2 = (P^2)X.

Iterating this procedure, we let A_m = (P^m)X for m>=3. The behavior of the sequence (A_m) varies a lot by P. What actually happens to each individual entry of A_m as m goes to infinity isn't very interesting on its own; what is interesting is what happens to the entries relative to each other. For example, in a game with 2 characters in which c_1 beats c_2 100% of the time, both entries of A_m tend to 0 as m approaches infinity, but c_2's entry approaches 0 much faster than c_1's does. Thus, instead of looking at the long term behavior of (A_m), we do the following: for each positive integer m, let s_m be the maximum entry of A_m. Let Q_m = (1/s_m)A_m. In other words, Q_m tells you how good each character is as of the m-th approximation relative to the best character(s) as of the m-th approximation. It turns out that the sequence (Q_m) does almost always converge, and the vector Q that it converges to provides a nice way of ranking the characters.

The proof that (Q_m) converges unless this one odd condition pops up is kind of ugly and tedious, so I won't go into that here; even the statement of that one condition is messy.

Anyways, in practice, it shouldn't be too hard to find a decent approximation of Q; just use Mathematica or something like that to find A_m for some decently large m and then find Q_m from there. I'd also check Q_(m+1) and maybe a few other later values to see if anything odd happens, but I think the condition for the failure of this procedure is improbable.

It's also worth mentioning that this method can lead to some results which might intuitively seem odd. For example, if you have a game with three characters and c_1 has guaranteed wins against c_2 and c_3, and c_2 has a guaranteed win against c_3, then this procedure gives c_1 the value 1 and both c_2 and c_3 get 0. This might seem strange since c_2 has strictly better match-ups than c_3, but it makes sense since c_2 is worthless in the sense that its only winning match-up is against a character that is clearly worthless.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
It's also kinda good that Samus dropped slightly, since her matchups aren't really that good, and this takes that into account.
Lol. I think you just insterted your own reason for why Samus dropped.

Beat!

Smash Master
Reading through Fly Amanitas post, I was like:
"Okay."
"Okay."
"... uhhhhhhh..."
*mouth half-open*

Really though, it sounds pretty neat. :)

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
For the second approximation, we do something similar, except that we want the match-ups against the characters that are good from the first approximation to have more weight than the match-ups against the ones that aren't. Let a_i denote the i-th entry of A_1 for each i. Now for each i, we take (a_1)(p_i,1)+(a_2)(p_i,2)+...+(a_n)(p_i,n) as the second approximation of how good c_i is. Note that the i-th entry of the vector P*A_1 is the second approximation for how good c_i is, and let A_2 = P*A_1. Note that A_2 = (P^2)X.

Now I understand why I lost to Fly

jesus christ

Acryte

Smash Ace
I was just wondering why Ganondorf is in the very middle of the tiers.
because there are some really good ganon players, hes great at getting people off stage, but hes ***** when they get him off stage.

and because hangover johns can't erase history.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
No offense to the peach players, but there are none that have shown wobbles' success in tournaments. From what I've seen of armada... without platform camping much, and with wobbling allowed... he still made it look hopeless. I mean, of all the peach players I've seen play it it looked like armada played it the most correctly (and he also claims its a terrible matchup for IC).

I could be wrong, but after watching it and reading armada's opinions I can't help but agree with that.

Additionally, while ganon vs ICs is apparently not that bad I'll be convinced otherwise when I see uberice/wobbles/fly/chu beat linguini/rockcrock in tournament (I'm not sure of kage's experience with the MU). As it stands, I would be extremely surprised if at pound 5 wobbles beat linguini or something. It might not be awful, but I don't see it happening in ICs favor anytime soon either.
Rockcrock beat Wobbles at TO6 right?

Come on Sami, I expected you to put Ganon on the top of your tier list WTF MANG

Merkuri

Smash Lord
Probably my only complaint with this list is that Doc and Gannon should be switched. I'm not too sure about Luigi being so low, but I don't outright disagree with it.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
people that are allowed to vote should only be people that place in nationals and are like top 20 in the world.

and people that used to be up there too.

but i see way to many names on that list that arent even good at this game

it doesnt matter what knowledge you got

people that are placing in nationals know more about the game then people that like to talk "smash thoery"

trash
I like this post because you didn't post a single approximation of what you think of the tier list.

Instead took a random shot at the people involved in making it.

Aplus trolling yo

Zodiac

Smash Master
I would be complaining like a mofo if the tier list was based off character match ups and not tournament results. But for tourney results this is a good list. but I would still like to see a list based on matchups and actual character ability.

Also, I have a hard time believing DK places better than link. cause link is a much better character.

Linguini

Smash Master
Samus is a better character than ganon.

It should go:

Doc
Samus
Ganon

Samus has better high/top tier matchups than ganon. The advantages ganon has in the lower tier matchups shouldn't be weighted that heavily.

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
ganon is pretty good.

Just because those characters are insanely bad doesn't mean we should just completely forget about them... I mean, a part of me totally understands where you're coming from.. but still.

I don't think there's any saying that characters besides the uber garb's are not playable at a competitive level.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Samus is a better character than ganon.

It should go:

Doc
Samus
Ganon

Samus has better high/top tier matchups than ganon. The advantages ganon has in the lower tier matchups shouldn't be weighted that heavily.
Meh that's ok, that'll just make everyone underestimate Ganon even more lol.

Skyson

Smash Ace
4 pages of posts and I still can't figure out why the **** Roy's where he is. <_<

I'm diggin' the Link tier.

Sheik still in da top. B)

Top Bottom