• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official JaJaMaru for Brawl thread!

:034:

Smash Hero
Yes, my ladies and gentlemen, here it is -

The Official JaJaMaru for Brawl thread!​

No, this is not a joke topic. I really am serious about this. The thought of this character occured to me after a supposed 'insider' said that after the first SSE playthrough you would unlock this character. Whether or not this is legit information has yet to be seen.

JaJaMaru's Appearances

Ninja JaJaMaru-kun (忍者じゃじゃ丸くん, ninja jajamaru-kun) is an action game released in Japan on November 15, 1985 by Jaleco for the Famicom and in 1986 for the MSX.

It was released for Nintendo's Japanese Virtual Console on December 26, 2006 and in PAL regions on September 21, 2007 as part of Ninja Week for the Hanabi Festival promotion. It was released on the North American Virtual console on October 22, 2007 and was the first time the game made its release outside Japan, in their respective regions.

The game stars the little brother of Ninja-Kun (This game was a spinoff of the game Ninja-Kun). Princess Sakura has been kidnapped by Damazu-Dayuu, and because Ninja-Kun is away on a journey, the task falls to young Jajamaru-Kun.

In the game, the player starts with three lives and can only run, jump and throw shurikens. The game is divided into stages, each with four floors and eight enemies. Sakura-Hime and Damazu are placed, unreachable, at the top of the screen. Enemies use various projectiles, one of which will cause the player to lose a life. If JaJaMaru-kun lands on top of an enemy, it will simply be temporarily stunned and vice versa. Once an enemy is defeated and offscreen, a spirit will appear and ascend to the top of the screen. It can be collected before it has disappeared to receive points, which vary depending on the enemy. Sakura will sometimes drop petals that the player can collect, and Damazu will sometimes run around, dropping bombs. To advance to the next stage, the player must defeat all eight enemies by using shurikens.

Some bricks yield items. They include:

* A cart that temporarily makes Jajamaru-kun invincible and faster. Projectiles and enemies will also be destroyed if touched.
* A bottled substance that makes Jajamaru temporarily invincible and able to walk through enemies.
* A red ball.
* Bombs (which must be avoided).
* Coins that yield various amounts of points.
* An extra life.

If all three types of power-ups are collected, Gamapa-kun, a giant frog, will be summoned, which is completely invincible and able to eat all enemies.

If three of Sakura's petals are collected, the player will go to a bonus stage in which Jajamaru-kun is on the bottom and Damazu at the top. Damazu drops bombs, and the player throws shurikens upward. If the player manages to hit Damazu, bonus points are awarded. If Jajamaru-kun is hit by a bomb, he goes on to the next stage.

Woah. Wait. Just ONE NES appearance? Japan-only? He'll never make it. Fear not.

JaJaMaru-kun... Is a whole series!

* Ninja JaJaMaru-kun - Famicom, 1985/MSX, 1986
* Jajamaru no Daibouken - Famicom, 1986
* Jajamaru: Ninpou Chou - Famicom, 1989
* Oira Jajamaru! Sekai Daibouken (Maru's Mission) - Game Boy, JP 1990; US 1991
* Jajamaru: Gekimaden - Famicom, 1991
* Ninja Jajamaru: Ginga Daisakusen - Famicom, 1991
* Ninja Jajamaru-kun: Onikiri Ninpou Chou - Saturn/Playstation, 1997
* Ganso Jajamaru-kun - Wonderswan, 1999
* Ninja Jajamaru-kun DX - Jaleco Gyaresso (mobile phone), 2003
* Jajamaru Jr.: denshou shiru (Jareko moa ri kou) - Game Boy Advance, 2004
* Ninja Jajamaru-kun: Pen wa Ken Yorimo Kyoushidegozaru - Nintendo DS, TBA 2007

Don't believe me? Then what is this?

Rather than old NES Japan-Only characters such as Takamaru and Skapon, he has had multiple appearances on multiple systems and is known in Japan to this very day. Woah. Amazing. Now, you might say, he's still Japan-only. WRONG. OHOHOHO. SO WRONG. "Oira Jajamaru! Sekai Daibouken" was released in America as Maru's Mission.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maru's_Mission

I think this truly might be the WTF character we've all been looking for.

JaJaMaru's Gameplay

So, what would he be like? Well, Jajamaru is a ninja throwing shuriken. He'd obviously use various ninja weapons, such as kunai, shuriken, maybe a katana... Even Narutards can be pleased!

According to the so-called 'leaker'...

"JaJaMaru is a ninja, I have no clue what game he is from to be honest. He is really fun to play as, and is similar to Sheik except his shuriken are WAY stronger than the needles. His Final Smash is some sort of Frog too, as apposed to Sheik's Harp of the Sheikah, which is a lame attack."

The Final Smash could be nothing else than the Frog. In the game, you can collect three types of power-up. All three of them combined create the Frog, which eats your enemies.

I might have a moveset up soon, but for now, you can all imagine what Jajamaru would play like, right?

Here's some gameplay vids Chidosengan pointed to.

Ninja Jajamaru (NES)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmZEEq9trjU

Super Ninja Kun (SNES)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPG22...eature=related

Ninja Jajamaru Kun: Onigiri Ninpoucho Kin (Saturn)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMdcCsrMiyk&NR=1

JaJaMaru Pictures

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/5669/scan01lu3.jpg Scans for the new DS game. Too big to post as an image.

To summarize...

Why do I think JaJaMaru will make it?

1. Good choice for a WTF character.
  2. Original.
  3. Although an unknown character, NOT Japan-only and has recent appearances.
  4. The aformentioned 'leaker' (the only sounding somewhat legit) said that he was a playable character. Of course, we don't know about this until the game is released, but hey.
  5. The only thing better than a ninja is a pirate. Since there's no pirate in Brawl... We'll just have to settle for second best.

Why WON'T JaJaMaru make it?

1. Unknown character. Like, REALLY unknown. But - nobody really knew of Marth and Roy before Melee, and this might give Nintendo that little push to release the DS JaJaMaru game in America and Europe!
  2. Not on the poll. True. But neither was the Pokémon Trainer. ;D
  3. I dunno. YOU come up with something.

Note that we're not sure on who currently holds the right to the Jajamaru character. It's most likely Jaleco, though there is a chance that the rights have been acquired by Nintendo.

So... I have to say, I'm skeptical on the character myself. I'm not saying he definitely will be in Brawl... But it's a chance.

Cless

Smash Champion
Firstly, ninjas are better than pirates (real ninjas, not bull**** Naruto ninjas).
Secondly, ninja-pirates are better than both ninjas and pirates.
Thirdly, is he third party or is did Jaleco give the rights to Nintendo?
Fourthly, I have nothing against his appearance in Brawl, and I'm calling his FS Ninpo: Jiraiya until they come out with an official name.

Smash Hero
Thirdly, is he third party or is did Jaleco give the rights to Nintendo?
I THINK they gave the rights to Nintendo. Though I'm not sure and can't find a credible source on this.

Fourthly, I have nothing against his appearance in Brawl, and I'm calling his FS Ninpo: Jiraiya until they come out with an official name.
Narutardism? In MY thread?!

Cless

Smash Champion
Try Tales of Phantasia and an awesome 11-year old girl ninja as opposed to ******** 12 year old ninjas from Naruto. I thought that it'd be apparent that I hold little stock in Naruto with the bull**** Naruto ninja comment.

Ninpo: Jiraiya summoned a frog that breathed fire in Tales of Phantasia. Quite possibly the best skill in that game. Not exactly the same, but close enough. Oh, and the kanji for the Jiraiya in ToP is different from the Jiraiya in Naruto.

Well, his being third party is his only hindrance that I see. Otherwise, agents are go.

Smash Hero
Try Tales of Phantasia and an awesome 11-year old girl ninja as opposed to ******** 12 year old ninjas from Naruto. I thought that it'd be apparent that I hold little stock in Naruto with the bull**** Naruto ninja comment.

Ninpo: Jiraiya summoned a frog that breathed fire in Tales of Phantasia. Quite possibly the best skill in that game. Not exactly the same, but close enough. Oh, and the kanji for the Jiraiya in ToP is different from the Jiraiya in Naruto.

Well, his being third party is his only hindrance that I see. Otherwise, agents are go.
....Oh. I need to be informed more. >_>

Anyway, I'm emailing Nintendo about this right now. If he is a third-party character, there's probably no way. If he's not, I bet he has a fairly good shot.

The email for reference:

Dear random Nintendo employee,

I'm wondering something about the game 'JaJaMaru-kun' for Virtual Console. Who currently holds the rights to the character Jajamaru? Does Jaleco still hold the rights or did they give/sold the rights to Nintendo? I'd look it up, but I can't find a credible source on this.

Much obliged.
Probably will be a few days before they reply.

Maggirus

Smash Journeyman
I think he could be a nice addition to the roster. A ninja like character would be nice.

But he is a 3rd-Party. I couldn't that believe Sakurai wouldn't ask Capcom for Megaman, but they would ask Bandai Namco (right?) for this crappy character?
Unbelievable.

If Sakurai would want to have a ninja. Why wouldn't he take one from one Nintendo game?
Like assasin - Shiek
(Cowboy - Flint Would love to see him ;D)

But nevermind, the writer had too much time. A really good lier. (Nintendo wouldn't allow a person like him to test a game like this. It's closed and it's really unlikely that something leaks)
I think he mixed surprises, with hope and disapointment in a good way. He sounds believable.

Finalsmash:
Transforming into a frog? He told this.

Maggirus

Smash Hero
But he is a 3rd-Party. I couldn't that believe Sakurai wouldn't ask Capcom for Megaman, but they would ask Bandai Namco (right?) for this crappy character? Unbelievable.
Actually, we're not sure who has the rights to Jajamaru right now. It might be that Nintendo has the rights now, or Jaleco. Not Namco. Where'd you get that idea?

Maggirus

Smash Journeyman
Actually, we're not sure who has the rights to Jajamaru right now. It might be that Nintendo has the rights now, or Jaleco. Not Namco. Where'd you get that idea?
I think someone mentioned it in the closed thread or on GameFaqs.

JuJuMaru is developed and published by Jaleco.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaleco

Nintendo hasn't the rights on Jaleco and I think JuJuMaru belongs to Jaleco.

Maggirus

Cless

Smash Champion
Dude, he is not owned by Bandai Namco. He is either owned by Jaleco or Nintendo. His FS would be summoning a frog, who I just found out is named Gamapa-kun.

So Jaleco made and published the game by themselves. Even if Jajamaru-kun is third party, I can't imagine Jaleco being ***** about it. They don't make anything good, but he probably is third party since they made a game Sony and Sega.

Smash Hero
I think someone mentioned it in the closed thread or on GameFaqs.

JuJuMaru is developed and published by Jaleco.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaleco

Nintendo hasn't the rights on Jaleco and I think JuJuMaru belongs to Jaleco.

Maggirus
Uhm. JaJaMaru-kun or any of it's following games aren't on that list you gave. None of the sites about Virtual Console give an explanation about who currently has the rights to JaJaMaru-kun, either.

Jaleco does make the JaJaMaru games. The latest DS game is made by them as well, but if Nintendo publishes it... The fact that the NES game is on Virtual Console might also mean that Nintendo has acquired the rights to Jajamaru.

Maggirus

Smash Journeyman
A question:
Someone knows a ninja character owned by Nintendo / 2nd Party?

If Sakurai really would like to have a character like this, he would chose him/her. Even if they would be unimportant.
(Kat&Ana are the only possibility I could think of.
Having the same abilities, being female, being paired like Ice Climber, not being 3rd-Party, being probably more known than this character)

And sry, someone mentioned that JaJaMaru belongs to Bandai Namco. I was too lazy to prove that.
(Even never heard of Jaleco...)

Jaleco does make the JaJaMaru games. The latest DS game is made by them as well, but if Nintendo publishes it... The fact that the NES game is on Virtual Console might also mean that Nintendo has acquired the rights to Jajamaru.
He could be a possibility, if he is owned by Nintendo.....
Having a moveset, upcoming games, his games are also on VC.

Maggirus

Cless

Smash Champion
Uhm. JaJaMaru-kun or any of it's following games aren't on that list you gave. None of the sites about Virtual Console give an explanation about who currently has the rights to JaJaMaru-kun, either.

There's proof that Jajamaru-kun is third party in your op. Being on the VC has nothing to do with ownership. That just means that it was agreed that the game can be distributed via the VC. I can guarantee you that Nintendo does not own the rights to Ryo and Yuri Sakazaki, Robert Garcia, Mr. Big, King, Terry and Andy Bogard, Mai Shiranui, Joe Higashi, Sonic the Hedgehog, etc. Jaleco publishes the games, not Nintendo.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Anything special about this character...other than just being a stereotypical ninja...?

Edit: Actually I somehow actually see this character in Smash, though I don't think he's anything special...whatever though...

Unless of course he's 3rd party

Smash Hero
There's proof that Jajamaru-kun is third party in your op. Being on the VC has nothing to do with ownership. That just means that it was agreed that the game can be distributed via the VC. I can guarantee you that Nintendo does not own the rights to Ryo and Yuri Sakazaki, Robert Garcia, Mr. Big, King, Terry and Andy Bogard, Mai Shiranui, Joe Higashi, Sonic the Hedgehog, etc. Jaleco publishes the games, not Nintendo.
I guess that's true, but Nintendo might still have the rights. Just because they don't have the rights to every VC character ever doesn't mean they might not have taken/acquired Jajamaru.

I actually doubt Nintendo has the rights. And if they don't, we can probably ship off this idea with a ton of other useless third-party characters.

PsychoIncarnate said:
Anything special about this character...other than just being a stereotypical ninja...?
I don't see a better ninja character right now besides Shiek. Who really isn't much of an actual ninja. Jajamaru would most likely use every ninja tool, rather than just needles.

Cless

Smash Champion
Actually, throwing up that list of Art of Fighting and Fatal Fury characters made me wish that they'd release KoF '94 on the VC.

I dunno, Jaleco doesn't make anything huge. They could do nothing but benefit from the exposure.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
I'm thinking he might be third party, since Jaleco has their name on that DS game box, and I haven't seen anything about them being second party to Nintendo. The only possibility I could think of is if Nintendo somehow owns the rights to the character, but still commissions Jaleco to make them.

EDIT: Woah, I was a little late there.

Cless

Smash Champion
Wow, super cute kunoichi and princess. That game doesn't look terrible. I might have to acquire that when it comes out.

Maggirus

Smash Journeyman
Wiki said:
Jaleco is today a highly active publisher of video games for Microsoft's Xbox, PC games, and Sony's PlayStation 2. Jaleco is the official subsidiary of the whole PCCW Group in Japan which includes many activities unrelated to videogaming such as music, web application and mobile phone content.

(Notice (c) Jaleco)
So he's 3rd-Party and Jaleco doesn't belong to Nintendo (nobody mentioned it, but to be sure..)

Did I mention that the lier did a great job mentioning him?
A character who would have a nice moveset and having a lot of games for Nintendo consoles.
Nobody know about him and he would fit perfectly as a WTF-character.

I think he spend a lot of time for doing his fake beta experiences.

Maggirus

Cless

Smash Champion
Well, I already concluded he was 3rd party, but more proof is always nice. Like I said, Jaleco would do nothing but benefit by having a character in Brawl though. They should pay Nintendo to include their character.

Smash Hero
(Notice (c) Jaleco)
So he's 3rd-Party and Jaleco doesn't belong to Nintendo (nobody mentioned it, but to be sure..)
Notice (c) 1985 Jaleco.

Cless said:
Well, I already concluded he was 3rd party, but more proof is always nice. Like I said, Jaleco would do nothing but benefit by having a character in Brawl though. They should pay Nintendo to include their character.
They'd probably refuse. : P

Cless

Smash Champion
Yeah, but copyrights last until 75 years after the death of the copyrighter. I don't see why they would give Nintendo the copyright. It was theirs until at least '96 if they did give it up for some reason.

Smash Hero
Yeah, but copyrights last until 75 years after the death of the copyrighter. I don't see why they would give Nintendo the copyright. It was theirs until at least '96 if they did give it up for some reason.
It's likely that Jaleco does still have the copyright... But if they don't, great! As I said, I emailed Nintendo to get some definite proof. When I get the reply, I'll post it here and edit the first post.

courte

Smash Lord
Firstly, ninjas are better than pirates (real ninjas, not bull**** Naruto ninjas).
i think we can all agree that the only ninja that annoys everyone naruto... is naruto alone. i have yet to meet someone who can relate to that punk, then again i don't know any overachieving orphans. smart slackers like myself can relate to shikamaru, and reclusives can relate to shino. i guess shy girls for sakura, big kids for chouji, and dog lovers to kiba. and big ***** old chicks who look young = tsunade

jaja for brawl

tirkaro

Smash Champion
I support this guy, as long as he doesn't take the place of takamaru, or count as a 3rd party.

perhaps him and takamaru could share stages.

Black/Light

Smash Master
. . ..**** it, now I hope that leaker is right. But the leaker seems to be a fake to me and I don't take his words as truth. . . but I hope this character is one of our WTF characters with or with out being 3rd party.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
. . ..**** it, now I hope that leaker is right. But the leaker seems to be a fake to me and I don't take his words as truth. . . but I hope this character is one of our WTF characters with or with out being 3rd party.
THis leaker also said that Knuckles will be a character and Square has 2 characters - Geno and Cecil...

Black/Light

Smash Master
THis leaker also said that Knuckles will be a character and Square has 2 characters - Geno and Cecil...
I know, I read the rumor topic remember? The only one of thos 3 I would NOT like to see is Cecil but I think all 3 are unlikely. . . COULD happen but unlikely none the less.

Which is why I think Jaja aint happening. I don't feel the leaker is real but I sure wouldn't be mad if he is real.

Cless

Smash Champion
i think we can all agree that the only ninja that annoys everyone naruto... is naruto alone. i have yet to meet someone who can relate to that punk, then again i don't know any overachieving orphans. smart slackers like myself can relate to shikamaru, and reclusives can relate to shino. i guess shy girls for sakura, big kids for chouji, and dog lovers to kiba. and big ***** old chicks who look young = tsunade

jaja for brawl
Sakura isn't shy. Hinata is. The only characters I like on that show are Shikamaru, Hinata, and Kiba; in that order. But that show is ********.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Strange how you save Princess Sakura and if you add an I to Sakura it becomes Sakurai...

Top Bottom