• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Always thought Ryu was a 'meh/neutral' character in all the streetfighters I played, but I know he is obviously the main character.

And he is a BIG deal.

Very happy to have him.

Very Annoyed people DataMine.................... but oh well. We had worse real leaks. If anything I'm more excited about DLC. :D

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Tbh Ryu is probably the best DLC choice they could go for since it's guaranteed he'll sell the best.

Can't think of any character that could realistically outsell him.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Tbh Ryu is probably the best DLC choice they could go for since it's guaranteed he'll sell the best.

Can't think of any character that could realistically outsell him.
Ridley Might.That's about all I can think of.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Ridley Might.That's about all I can think of.
Ridley wouldn't come close. Outside of the small echo chamber that is the Smash community, fewer people would know or care about him compared to Ryu. The only character that could outsell him would probably be another guest character, if even that. Maybe Cloud? As much as it makes me vomit to admit.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
What about :4mewtwo:?
I was actually considering Mewtwo and I'd say he's the closest (and Snake), but Ryu's popularity and status as both a newcomer and a third party (from a very iconic and legendary series) gives him the edge I'd say. I mean Mewtwo as DLC is a very safe choice when you think about it, but Ryu is the kind that'd get so many people talking about him.

Typically in fighting games character that aren't requested are the ones that sell the most. Ryu is very much like MK9's Freddy Krueger in this case, and Freddy was the best selling DLC in the game despite no one wanting him. The mass media would eat Ryu up similarly I imagine.

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
What I don't understand is that why do people all of a sudden think that "indie" characters have a good shot? Nintendo themselves almost don't promote them that much and pays very little to no attention to them. Even through selling games on eshop are very cheap and don't put out much money for them. Just because they said any video game character doesn't mean that it's all that hopeful. Most of these Indie characters are only popular in the west not at all in Japan. Which is probably where most of the voting is considered anyway. This alone is what hurts their chances even more. Just because their home companies say it's okay doesn't mean that it's concrete. Nintendo and Sakurai are the ones that has to go to them not the other way around. If the Indie developers went to and it would them seem needy. Besides, Sakurai never went to any indie company before Smash was announced and I doubt he'll go through all of the legal trouble just to get one, "to advertise a series".

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Ryu has ginormous feet.
I can tell that the foot fetish artists had a field day with a majority of the Street Fighter roster since day one.

Chun-Li and Lyndis in same game...

Dem thighs and legs.

Bruh, Chun Li is on a whole new level in comparison to those thunder thighs. :awesome:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I can tell that the foot fetish artists had a field day with a majority of the Street Fighter roster since day one.

Bruh, Chun Li is on a whole new level in comparison to those thunder thighs. :awesome:

But in all honesty, if Street Fighter is going to get an assist trophy, the most likely would be Chun-Li with M. Bison as a second.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
What I'd do for an assist trophy M.Bison. Dude is by far my favourite SF character.

But Chun-Li is so obvious it hurts.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
Ken would be an obvious choice too, but we all expect a Ken-based palette swap for a Ryu alt skin.

And unlike Luigi and Waluigi, the difference between the playable character with alt colors and the Assist trophy could get annoying. As in, difficult to see at first

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
If I had to pick an assist trophy to go along with Ryu, there's a few to come to mind:

Chun-Li: Easily one of the most recognizable character from the franchise, heck maybe even second. Along with Ryu, she's been consistent when it comes to cross-over titles and her role in the story is usually very significant.

-What would she do?-

Simple, kicks and more kicks. Could possibly end the fury with her signature Kikoshou:

M. Bison(Dictator): Generally considered to be the main antagonist of the Street Fighter series. Yes... YES!!

-What would he do?-

God, if he was an Assist Trophy and didn't have a Psycho Crusher somewhere, I'd be disappointed.

Akuma: Technically, Ryu's antagonist. If my memory serves me correctly, he started the cross-over titles in Marvel: Children of the Atom, and has appeared in many others. Ryu and Akuma's story usually tie in together so I could see him as a viable Assist Trophy.

-What would he do?-

I think the Raging Demon would look pretty sick. Who doesn't like that move anyway?

Man, I'm beyond hyped for some Street Fighter rep in Smash.

Graizen

Smash Champion
After Mewtwo + 7 there are 5 additional “Mario”s listed. This means, that there are 5 additional unused characters in the fighter table in the latest update. Right now, we know for sure that Lucas is coming. After Lucas, it is heavily suggested that Roy (Fire Emblem) and Ryu (Street Fighter) will be incoming as DLC. Therefore, we have two additional slots for DLC. Whether the two slots will be used for the ballot results, or for pre-ballot result DLC is unknown. Stay tuned for additional information.

https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/04/18/all-about-ryu-and-roys-files/

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
If we're going to get a blasted SF character, I NEED Dan Habiki to be an Assist Trophy.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Wait, so people are fine if Smash DLC is just whatever gets Nintendo the most money, regardless of desire from the fans? Playstation All Stars couldn't get away with that ****, and neither should Smash.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Wait, so people are fine if Smash DLC is just whatever gets Nintendo the most money, regardless of desire from the fans? Playstation All Stars couldn't get away with that ****, and neither should Smash.
Unlike Smash though, PS All Stars was a flop. It's not even comparable.

Also Isaac was the only third party DLC in PS All Stars, and he's nowhere near Ryu's status as a legend.

Last edited:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
You do realize the "fans" you speak of are a subset of a subset, right? (Of which there is very little consensus concerning characters anyways.) And Sakurai has shown that he does a good job of mixing popular requests with obscure, unexpected characters that are fun additions. Considering most people didn't even think we would get DLC, or would be restricted to Mewtwo, I think acting like Sakurai is somehow doing some undefined group of "fans" an injustice is as spoiled as it is naive.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Trust me, all hell will be raised if Bland-as-heck Ryu gets in above, God himself forbid, Isaac or K. Rool.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
t

they should all be alt costumes of eachother.
Well, that's the idea.

Ridley wouldn't come close. Outside of the small echo chamber that is the Smash community, fewer people would know or care about him compared to Ryu. The only character that could outsell him would probably be another guest character, if even that. Maybe Cloud? As much as it makes me vomit to admit.
There's a lot of assumptions here. For one, Smash is a completely different type of fighting game. A lot of traditional fighting games fans don't really like Smash. Of course Ryu is FAR more well known, but honestly, I feel like the top Nintendo characters would sell more DLC than any third-party would, including Ryu.

I don't think Ryu would sell nearly as much simply because Street Fighter, or any traditional fighting games really, hasn't been on Nintendo recently. No one has really been talking about Ryu getting into Smash, or at least, barely anyone has. Ryu isn't enough to get people who don't have the console or game to buy both the console and game.

I do think Ryu would probably sell more than MOST Nintendo characters, but personally I think most veterans, and popular newcomer Nintendo requests (Ridley, maybe K. Rool) would probably sell more.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
There's a lot of assumptions here. For one, Smash is a completely different type of fighting game. A lot of traditional fighting games fans don't really like Smash. Of course Ryu is FAR more well known, but honestly, I feel like the top Nintendo characters would sell more DLC than any third-party would, including Ryu.

I don't think Ryu would sell nearly as much simply because Street Fighter, or any traditional fighting games really, hasn't been on Nintendo recently. No one has really been talking about Ryu getting into Smash, or at least, barely anyone has. Ryu isn't enough to get people who don't have the console or game to buy both the console and game.

I do think Ryu would probably sell more than MOST Nintendo characters, but personally I think most veterans, and popular newcomer Nintendo requests (Ridley, maybe K. Rool) would probably sell more.
While I agree mostly with you, I would just like to add a couple of my opinions.

I think a huge reason why Ryu didn't see much support was due to the fact that most people(including myself) thought he had no chance after Megaman's arrival. Megaman was among the first announced so I think that really hindered the support for any other Capcom character. I always heard, "It's either going to be Megaman or Ryu." However, Megaman had more support anyway.

Street Fighter recently hasn't been releasing many games on Nintendo consoles however, Super Street Fighter 4 or whatever was released on the 3DS and sold very well. Also, I think one or two of the Alpha games were released on the Virtual Console recently. Not 100% on that, but I know there's others as well. Not only that, but there's things like Project X Zone which was a 3DS exclusive and I think they're making another in which he appears.

Like you said, I still think popular Nintendo characters will out sell Ryu if DLC, but he wouldn't be too far behind them as he's a legend himself.

Last edited:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
First off, think about the bolded. Secondly, one of the most popular video game characters of all time is naturally going to have more draw than a majority of the remaining characters left to pick from for DLC.

*see Solid Snake in Brawl

I'm not even going to go into the overinflation of certain characters' status again, but what I will say is that, by their very nature, guest characters are a far bigger deal than any Nintendo character. Unless it is something weird like Wii Fit Trainer or Duck Hunt.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Ryu's inclusion can be justified...

But dear God, why him...?

He's so incredibly dull.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I think people find him dull for the same reasons people see Superman dull. He's kinda like the original fighting game character, so him being seen as dull isn't exactly that justified.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Smash already has a Ryu of it's own, and it's Mario. We don't need another one, and we certainly shouldn't want another one for the sake of being the cool kid who saw it coming.

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
I think people find him dull for the same reasons people see Superman dull. He's kinda like the original fighting game character, so him being seen as dull isn't exactly that justified.
Or maybe they're referring to the fact that we have his move set three :4mario:times:4luigi: over:4drmario:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom