• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
But you totally ignore where he's already IN THE GAME. As in an object in a level. That'd be so silly to have him as a character vs'ing himself in a stage. Never going to happen.
There's also multiple Ridleys, though; the original Ridley (the one who was around from Metroid to Super Metroid, was turned into Meta Ridley in Prime and then into Omega Ridley in Prime 3), the Clone Ridley from Other M and Ridley-X from Fusion.
Ridley and Clone Ridley also have vastly differing designs, with Ridley having a infinitely more Xenomorph-like aesthetic while the Clone Ridley is far bulkier and more draconic in design. They're also technically separate characters despite one being a clone of the other. Clone Ridley is more humanoid than Ridley, and Ridley is more draconic than Clone Ridley. They're so different that nobody could possibly be confused about the two being on the same stage if they know anything about Metroid and/or Other M.

And nobody laughs about mirror matches being absurd, so having multiples of the same character fighting is not as alien as you'd think. A clone =/= the same character as the original all the time; I mean, look at Mewtwo and Mew and you'll see that clones can be vastly different from who they were cloned from.

But we're veering off-course; if we really need to discuss why/why not Ridley would be viable as a playable character, than we should make a new thread about it instead of cluttering this one. :p

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
There's also multiple Ridleys, though; the original Ridley (the one who was around from Metroid to Super Metroid, was turned into Meta Ridley in Prime and then into Omega Ridley in Prime 3), the Clone Ridley from Other M and Ridley-X from Fusion.
Ridley and Clone Ridley also have vastly differing designs, with Ridley having a infinitely more Xenomorph-like aesthetic while the Clone Ridley is far bulkier and more draconic in design. They're also technically separate characters despite one being a clone of the other. Clone Ridley is more humanoid than Ridley, and Ridley is more draconic than Clone Ridley. They're so different that nobody could possibly be confused about the two being on the same stage if they know anything about Metroid and/or Other M.

And nobody laughs about mirror matches being absurd, so having multiples of the same character fighting is not as alien as you'd think. A clone =/= the same character as the original all the time; I mean, look at Mewtwo and Mew and you'll see that clones can be vastly different from who they were cloned from.

But we're veering off-course; if we really need to discuss why/why not Ridley would be viable as a playable character, than we should make a new thread about it instead of cluttering this one. :p
Yet Sakurai still uses the original Ridley as the head icon for the clone Ridley. On the subject of alternate colors can we please have Orange and White Yoshi, maybe Brown Yoshi too? Also give more colors of Olimar and Alph, why does Wire Frame Mac get a full set of colors again? For alternate costumes I want Dry Bowser, Sports Peach, Motorcycle Rosalina, Ocarina of Time Shiek, Ganondorf, Link and Zelda, Melee Fox and Falco, Brawl Ike and Marth, Classic Pit, Palutena, and Captain Falcon, Outset Island Toon Link, the actual Fusion Suit for Samus, JUST IN BAILEY suit with the green hair for Zero Suit Samus, Pajama Ness, Hooded Robin, maybe Funky Kong for DK, and God damn it, I want he default dog to have the black and green duck by his side, that's how it should have been.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I'm still bummed that they decided to go with goggles-less Shulk. The goggles are technically the head gear that goes with his default armor set, even if they are seldom used in official art.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
What If Banjo & Kazooie Was Announced For SSB4?:4duckhunt:
Then Rare was bought by Nintendo and then we would need Donkey Kong 64 3D and Banjo Threeie pronto.
Conker would be dead,though. RIP.
Not sure about Killer Instinct's priority to Rare,since it's now being worked on by other studios.

Last edited:

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
I think we need to move on from Ridley until speculation for Smash 5 begins. I wanted him in, but he's a boss. The likelihood of him being DLC aren't impossible, but it's certainly improbable and you can't blame someone else for thinking it won't happen as it seems likely that he won't be playable in this game. That said, Sakurai stated he might not carry on with the Smash series himself (even though he always says this and comes back to it), so if someone else from Nintendo took charge, they might have a different view on Ridley's viability as a playable character and try to make him work. Even if Sakurai doesn't quit, there's still about five years time for him to think over how he might be able to make Ridley playable without compromising his basic canonical image or structure.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So I guess you could say that you want a Robin Hood?
I should not be laughing at this I should not be laughing at this I should not be laughing at this I SHOULD NOT BE LAUGHING AT THIS

GOD DAMN IT I'M LAUGHING AT THIS

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm just waiting for Ridley to get a smaller design in a new Metroid game.

Everyone will go nuts.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Mother is "lucky" to get even one character in the first place because Mother already had HAL Laboratory Bias and perhaps Sakurai Bias. Don't forget that EarthBound and Mother 3 were developed by HAL Laboratory, the same company that developed the Smash games... and Sakurai was an employee of HAL Laboratory at the time he was working on Smash 64 and Melee.
I said early on. Sakurai did not show 'bias' and was vocally against doing so, until after Melee. Earthbound would certainly, well, probably, have a character by the fourth iteration of Smash. But I don't think it is a guarantee at all. It isn't a franchise that screams out for a character, much less two, more so than other series which are still lacking.
While I hear what you're saying, I think a lot of the people who criticize Mother's inclusion in the game are ignoring why Ness got into Smash. And it wasn't just Hal Lab and Sakurai bias. It was the genre it represented. Mario represents platforming and Luigi represented multiplayer, DK represents the start of it all in 83, Zelda action adventure. Kirby breathed (or sucked) new life into portable platforming. Yoshi was iconic, had his own games since the NES and was too kawaii to not include in a game aimed at a Japanese demographic, Fox represented rail shooters and was a pioneer in the genre. Samus as well is a pioneer in her genre or we wouldn't call games like that Metroid-Vania. Captain Falcon showed the Nintendo entry into the racing genre in a time before Mario Kart completely blew it away.
All of this is true, the facts of it. Yet, I have a hard time thinking this is anything more than something you believe, rather than anything that Sakurai thought. I don't personally believe any of this mattered for the game, or to Sakurai.

We're on G1. But it's massive enough of a success if you don't include Pikachu and Jigglypuff, you're a fool.
I... don't think Jigglypuff falls into that category. At all. Even if slely based on the TV show, the only thing Jigglypuff has ever had a claim to (and for such a short time), characters like Meowth were far more prominent. If only Sakurai had put Meowth in... we would still have the poor thing.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

Everyone will go nuts.
He's still a dragon. DRA-GON. Turtles come in all shapes and sizes, but dragons are supposed to be "friggin' huge."

Didn't that one guy on YouTube teach you anything?!

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
How many instances have there been where a trophy description for a non-playable character mentions their fans? I know in Melee's trophy description for King K. Rool it states that "he's just enough of a bumbler to have gained a few fans over the years" and in the 3DS/Wii U versions Lucas's trophy states "remember that Lucas and Ness are favorites in the hearts of Earthbound fans". Are there any other instances like this? If there are I'm certainly not away of them.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
What If Banjo & Kazooie Was Announced For SSB4?:4duckhunt:
I would be so happy I would **** a unicorn.

He's still a dragon. DRA-GON. Turtles come in all shapes and sizes, but dragons are supposed to be "friggin' huge."

Yes, I gather that you are likely being facetious.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I would be so happy I would **** a unicorn.

He was referencing a joke? of Shokio.

And just saying, Komodo Dragons are huge and are scarier than anything in any video game ever....

Their spit is the thing of nightmares...

Seriously, look it up.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

And just saying, Komodo Dragons are huge and are scarier than anything in any video game ever....

Their spit is the thing of nightmares...

Seriously, look it up.
Facetious - Not to be taken seriously or literally.

I mean c'mon Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei , you're better than this.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

We need more cute dragons. :troll:

Well alright then.
So, who wants to talk about how awesome Excite Biker would be as a newcomer?
Yes.

:231:

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Facetious - Not to be taken seriously or literally.

I mean c'mon Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei , you're better than this.
I was explaining where the whole thing came from as Bkupa was referencing Shokio, whom Duke didn't seem to know.

Looks like you need a lesson context comprehension.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I was explaining where the whole thing came from as Bkupa was referencing Shokio, whom Duke didn't seem to know.

I was being facetious myself. But now I can't tell if you're just being facetious.

Yay, internet!:happysheep:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I... don't think Jigglypuff falls into that category. At all. Even if slely based on the TV show, the only thing Jigglypuff has ever had a claim to (and for such a short time), characters like Meowth were far more prominent. If only Sakurai had put Meowth in... we would still have the poor thing.
I still wish Meowth is playable in Smash. He would be pretty fun to play as. I think Meowth would be unique with coin-powered moves... kinda like how Pikachu uses electric-powered moves and Greninja uses water-powered moves... even though they were using moves that were not in the games.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905

Everyone will go nuts.
12 feet tall isn't even that big, though; that's just about twice as tall as Samus. Making a 9 foot Ridley would be a marginal difference of about 3 feet; barely noticable unless you actively look for it. :p

Though considering that 4 may be Sakurai's last Smash game, maybe the new director will have a different opinion on Ridley's size. And if that's the case, than who knows what'll happen.

inb4ridleyandkroolassmashDLC

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Not me. I'd rather talk about how awesome Mach Rider can be.
I used to support him! But I think Excitebiker would be a better choice if the character is mounted to their bike.
If Excitebiker gets in regardless, I want to see some elements from Mach Rider in their moveset, maybe even having him as an alt.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sparky the Pikachu should be Pikachu's alt. Yes, I know they look exactly the same but Sparky has that scruff of fur on its head. That's totally different! :troll:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I still wish Meowth is playable in Smash. He would be pretty fun to play as. I think Meowth would be unique with coin-powered moves... kinda like how Pikachu uses electric-powered moves and Greninja uses water-powered moves... even though they were using moves that were not in the games.
Frankly who wouldn't want to beat up an opponent with a fat wad of cash?

Ain't got time for no peasants. Work hard, Pay hard.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If we're talking about characters beating the snot out of each other with money, I'd prefer Tom Nook running around with a bag of Bells and hitting people with it. The lels I would get out of that would be the greatest thing ever.

It gives a new meaning to "Crippling debt" :troll:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

dukenapoleon said:

I'm quite aware of Shokio, this does not take away from my initial statement of it being facetious.
Either way, this is ridiculous to keep discussing! Obviously we know many cases of tiny dragons.
swampasaur said:
And just saying, Komodo Dragons are huge and are scarier than anything in any video game ever...
They are slightly larger than a human. I don't think that qualifies as fricken huge.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
And nobody has mentioned the Goddess of Swag herself.

C'mon, people, get it together!

And yes I mean swag in the traditional sense, to wit: loot or spoils.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
12 feet tall isn't even that big, though; that's just about twice as tall as Samus. Making a 9 foot Ridley would be a marginal difference of about 3 feet; barely noticable unless you actively look for it. :p

Though considering that 4 may be Sakurai's last Smash game, maybe the new director will have a different opinion on Ridley's size. And if that's the case, than who knows what'll happen.

inb4ridleyandkroolassmashDLC
Honestly... I don't think Ridley nor Ice Climbers are out of the running for this current game. I thoroughly believe Sakurai wanted to get both to work, and giving up for a deadline for the game is in no way giving up the characters fully.
I know this may not be a popular opinion, but I tend to be a person who errs on "possible." Dreamers change the world by seeing what can be done- and that is what innovative thinking is all about. It is also, seemingly, how Sakurai makes his choices. He certainly does have a creative flair for adding characters and content, and this make the game exciting... and unnecessarily shocking to many.

How I wish Meowth had gotten in initially instead of Jigglypuff... unfortunately, he may not be unique enough to be added from this point on. He wouldn't need to fight like a Pokemon, though- he never does this in the anime. He would fight like a crafty trickster, perhaps with speaking attacks, a disguise, a mecha, and...yes, coins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom