• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I might as well do the same people thing are doing here...

:4ganondorf:
:4robinm::4darkpit:
:4bowserjr::4marth::4lucina::4greninja::4pit::4olimar:
:4link::4tlink::4shulk::4lucario::4pacman::4dk::4myfriends::rosalina::4sheik::4falcon::4gaw:

I tend to use all characters overall, but those are some of my favorites.

And yes, I did put Ganondorf on the top. Because he's my most played character by far.

D

Deleted member

My mains
:4robinm::4shulk:

My second mains
:4samus::4mewtwo::4zss::4miibrawl:

My third mains
:4falcon::4falco::4lucario::4tlink::4greninja:

The occasional ones
:4mario::4dk::4yoshi::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu::4luigi::4jigglypuff::4ness:
:4peach::4bowser::4sheik::4marth::4gaw::4drmario::4ganondorf:
:4metaknight::4pit::4wario::4myfriends::4diddy::4olimar::4sonic:
:4villager::rosalina::4littlemac::4miisword::4miigun::4darkpit::4lucina::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4megaman::4pacman:

The "never-gonna-main-them-any-time-soon" ones
:4link::4zelda::4charizard::4dedede::4rob::4wiifit::4palutena:

Last edited by a moderator:

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
I wanted to join in
Tournament Ready Mains
:4link::4kirby:
Secondaries that I'm still working on
:4shulk::4miibrawl::4robinm::4sheik::4pit:
Characters I use for fun/rarely use
:4miigun::4zelda::4dk:

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
For a second I thought Ridley was somehow confirmed, but this seems like it could be a (extremely convincing) false leak, though I haven't found any other information on it:

If it is, it would make sense; he already has a stock icon in the game, so all that'd really need to be done is give him a proper moveset, animations for winning and losing and announcer clips. He'd be pretty easy to do, but we all know how Sakurai feels about Ridley in Smash. :p

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
For a second I thought Ridley was somehow confirmed, but this seems like it could be a (extremely convincing) false leak, though I haven't found any other information on it:

If it is, it would make sense; he already has a stock icon in the game, so all that'd really need to be done is give him a proper moveset, animations for winning and losing and announcer clips. He'd be pretty easy to do, but we all know how Sakurai feels about Ridley in Smash. :p
That is am extremely old fake, sadly. Made far before Ridley was even revealed formally.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
That is am extremely old fake, sadly. Made far before Ridley was even revealed formally.
Ah, that sucks. Fooled me pretty good. :p

On the topic of Ridley, people have noticed something...odd about his appearance in the Pyrosphere, specifically when in a Giant Match;

He's actually scaled really well to other fighters in that mode, which is either the most hilarious coincidence ever or a possible pointer to him having been playable at one point, but made into a boss later in development. It's likely a huge coincidence, but it's actually pretty hilarious.

On the topic of Ridley, people have noticed something...odd about his appearance in the Pyrosphere, specifically when in a Giant Match;

He's actually scaled really well to other fighters in that mode, which is either the most hilarious coincidence ever or a possible pointer to him having been playable at one point, but made into a boss later in development. It's likely a huge coincidence, but it's actually pretty hilarious.
"Joined february 14th"
Go easy on him guys he may not know how much of an argument this is.
You should totally join the mansion aka the Ridley support group. (will work on an invite)

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
It stinks how he wasn't made playable because Soccer Guy thought he was too big to be made into a fighter.

Here's hoping he gets in SSB5 though.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
No, I know how divisive Ridley is; believe me, I've seen the Youtube videos and comments about it. I'm pretty cautious about the subject. :p

But still, it's always fun to imagine what might have been. As long as the developer of the next game (if there is one) will take both Western and Japanese demand into consideration, than who knows how Ridley'll end up.

As long as the developer isn't Kojima and his insane plotlines becomes the next Subspace, I'll be fine with anyone who can make it good. :p

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't doubt Sakurai seriously mused the idea of a playable Ridley and may at one point even have had him in some playable capacity before making his mind up that it just wasn't feasible.

I don't think it was a decision made for lack of trying. But I do think at this point it's one Sakurai won't come around on like he did Villager.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
The icon displayed on the victory screen wouldn't make much sense unless Ridley had been playable at one point; and it also seems that the Other M design was added in after the icon was, as the icon uses Brawl Ridley's head.

Would also explain why Ridley's mouth is so awkward when fully opened if the Other M design was added later in development than Ridley himself was.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think that was just part of Sakurai's attempt at meeting fans halfway.

That said I do think at one point Ridley was considered and experimented with, even if not outright planned, which I'm less sure about.

The icon displayed on the victory screen wouldn't make much sense unless Ridley had been playable at one point; and it also seems that the Other M design was added in after the icon was, as the icon uses Brawl Ridley's head.

Would also explain why Ridley's mouth is so awkward when fully opened if the Other M design was added later in development than Ridley himself was.
It has to dennote how you got the point somehow :/

I also don't think Ridley will ever be playable under sakurai. I also don't think he was ever planned either but that is just me.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
It has to dennote how you got the point somehow :/

I also don't think Ridley will ever be playable under sakurai. I also don't think he was ever planned either but that is just me.
If that's the case, than why not follow what Brawl did and make a new render, take that head and use it? Using an icon that looks nothing like the in-game model does is nonsensical and screams that something more than meets the eye went on during development of the game.

It'll take rooting in the WiiU game's files to know for sure, most likely, but the whole thing is just fishy for me.

Besides, there's another boss to take Ridley's place in the Pyrosphere anyways (that being Vorash); it's not like he'd need to scrap the entire hazard, just modify it to match Vorash and not Ridley when Ridley is in play akin to how Alfonso takes Toon Link's place when Toon Link is played on the Spirit Tracks stage.

Last edited:
If that's the case, than why not follow what Brawl did and make a new render, take that head and use it? Using an icon that looks nothing like the in-game model does is nonsensical and screams that something more than meets the eye went on during development of the game.

It'll take rooting in the WiiU game's files to know for sure, most likely, but the whole thing is just fishy for me.
. . .or they just imported brawl's data and edited it. easier than making a whole new icon for a character that isn't playable

D

Deleted member

Much like Villager in Brawl, it wasn't a case of "can't think of a way" to make it work, but a case of "it can be done, but at what cost?"
There are multiple ways of making Ridley work, but most of them involve altering Ridley's design to make him balanced as a character, which actually hasn't been done with a character before in Smash.

That is what Sakurai had issue with.
That is what Sakurai is referring to with his "accurate portrayal" statement. (So none of that "But Falcondorf!" counterargument bull****)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

You know one very possible way Ridley could have been playable without drastically altering the design for the sake of balance?

This thing. Be thankful that while Ridley isn't playable, this didn't happen.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
There are multiple ways of making Ridley work, but most of them involve altering Ridley's design to make him balanced as a character, which actually hasn't been done with a character before in Smash.

That is what Sakurai is referring to with his "accurate portrayal" statement. (So none of that "But Falcondorf!" counterargument bull****)
The modding community says otherwise, actually.
And there's little difference between a 12 foot tall Ridley and a 8 foot tall one, unless 4 feet is suddenly a massive difference for Ridley. :p
If Bowser can be 12 feet and shrunk to 7, then why is Ridley suddenly unable to be? As long as he's proportionate, he'll look fine as long as he's one of the largest characters in the game.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I don't see why the principle of accuracy is different between the two examples, even though the specific details aren't the same. The King of Evil being a clunking old fart should be as egregious, if not moreso than the Cunning God of Death being a slightly-less-big big character to anyone who proportedly cares about "the correct way" to represent characters.

And before the typical Falcondorf rationales come up from his mains, if "slow, strong and using purple sparkles" counts as in-character for Ganondorf, far more could be excused for Ridley than a slight Smash redesign.

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Much like Villager in Brawl, it wasn't a case of "can't think of a way" to make it work, but a case of "it can be done, but at what cost?"

Wow, really? I better go find my old ROB toy then, I didn't know it was designed to shoot lasers and fly around. Would have played with that thing way more as a kid had I known...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Well for starters,I just have to state that-

"Joined february 14th"
Go easy on him guys he may not know how much of an argument this is.
You should totally join the mansion aka the Ridley support group. (will work on an invite)
Oh,okay then.
But I still totally called Ridley out,though. I will brag this for days as for the ones who denounced my anti-Ridley suggestions,which was pretty much half of the Ridley group.

Again, Sakurai says a lot of things.
...like how he said he was too big,and he wouldn't "look like Ridley anymore?"
If the announcer literally said this (which he did,btw),then I would probably believe him. If he keeps mentioning Ridley not being playable after generations of generations,I think it wouldn't even be a "troll cus sockrock's Sakurai" or something.

I don't see why the principle of accuracy is different between the two examples, even though the specific details aren't the same. The King of Evil being a clunking old fart should be as egregious, if not moreso than the Cunning God of Death being a slightly-less-big big character to anyone who proportedly cares about "the correct way" to represent characters.

And before the typical Falcondorf rationales come up from his mains, if "slow, strong and using purple sparkles" counts as in-character for Ganondorf, far more could be excused for Ridley than a slight Smash redesign.
I'm going to have to say gg no re on that one.
...I'm saying he has a point.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I honestly don't think Ridley was really considered to be a character considering he was being teased as a hazard as far back as August and his mechanic is pretty more in-depth then the other bosses. I think what happened was that Sakurai noticed his popularity and as a result, tried to implement him in a unique though, not really popular mechanic.

D

Deleted member

Wow, really? I better go find my old ROB toy then, I didn't know it was designed to shoot lasers and fly around. Would have played with that thing way more as a kid had I known...
Aside from the fact this is clear strawman due to failing to grasp the main point, let me show you something.
This is a R.O.B.:

This is Smash Bros.' R.O.B.:

Outside of additional points of articulation (which isn't a balance change), there is no drastic change to the design.
And before you even think about pointing out the "hands", those pads are what you put on a R.O.B. to play Stack-Up.

Try again.

The modding community says otherwise, actually.
And there's little difference between a 12 foot tall Ridley and a 8 foot tall one, unless 4 feet is suddenly a massive difference for Ridley. :p
If Bowser can be 12 feet and shrunk to 7, then why is Ridley suddenly unable to be? As long as he's proportionate, he'll look fine as long as he's one of the largest characters in the game.
"The modding community says otherwise"?
You do realize the only one to make a successful PSA altered his design to work around the game, right? He didn't literally just take his Other M model, slap a moveset on him and call it a day.
It's more than just his overall size that was the issue. If it was JUST a drop in size, there would be no issue (i.e. Ganondorf, Palutena, Charizard relative to Pikachu, etc.). It's working Ridley's design to make him a balanced fighter, which decreasing his body size is only a small part of.
Aside from that, despite me advocating Bowser as a prime example in favor of Ridley support in the early days of Smash 4 speculation, I've come to realize that Bowser is a bad example compared to the above listed.
Why? Because Bowser fluctuates in size based on his role. If he's part of the competition, he's roughly at the same size difference to Mario as he is in Smash (where he's, shocker, part of the competition).
size comparison.png

(Taken from an official size chart)
If he's an antagonistic force to face off against in a heated boss battle or just there to ruin the player's day, he's naturally larger.

Again, not saying that Ridley can't be scaled down. I'm only saying that Bowser is not as good as an example as it was once believed. Ganondorf is.

Seriously. This was how tall he was compared to Link in Twilight Princess. Link is not eye level with Ganondorf's crotch in Smash.
Though outside of body size, nothing needed to be changed about Ganondorf's design to make him work.

Because it's in different contexts.
Sakurai is referring to the character's design in terms of balance (i.e. giving Ridley small wings and a smaller body range (which would include things like his as-long-as-he-is-tall tail) to decrease his hitbox and lower his hypothetically ridiculous range, making him flightless/heavily restricting his flight to balance out a size/range/defense advantage, etc.).

Using "MUH FALCONDORF" as an excuse is focusing on how the character fights, which is comparing apples to oranges.
And honestly, people wouldn't be complaining so much about Ganondorf if his moves didn't have some derivative of Captain Falcon. I mean really, "clunking old fart" pretty much describes Ganondorf in Twilight Princess (where his design comes from). The only difference is he's a "clunking old fart that fights with a sword he hates" in TP. And if that's what he was in Smash instead of "clunking old Captain Falcon derivative", no one would give a damn about him being "clunking old anything".

You three seem so eager to attack me for being a too bigot who dares to say anything you don't want to hear.
Let me make it clear that I feel Sakurai should have just bit the bullet and worked Ridley as a character regardless of what changes would have to be made (barring the concept of hairy lizard teenage Ridley; that's one option I'm sure would be less favorable than no Ridley at all), even if it means re-inventing Ridley like what the MvC games did with Sentinel with a newer workable design that resembles previous ones instead of using/altering them.
Such as this:
qtpeeapndxm1jfyrnhn3.png

That being said, I find Sakurai's viewpoint on the subject to be understandable and am not willing to ***** and whine and make poor excuses as to why he's a moronic hypocrite over it.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Aside from the fact this is clear strawman due to failing to grasp the main point, let me show you something.
This is a R.O.B.:

This is Smash Bros.' R.O.B.:

Outside of additional points of articulation (which isn't a balance change), there is no drastic change to the design.
And before you even think about pointing out the "hands", those pads are what you put on a R.O.B. to play Stack-Up.

Try again.
Oh for the love of...

Try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom