• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well who do you think he picked, personally I think Wolf is going to be DLC, for Star Fox U and apparently the Namco dev team and Sakurai really like Wolf, and apparently Sakurai said Wolf was his favorite Star Fox character (won't believe that though until Wolf's playable), but Sakurai would probably add Wolf in due to his personal bias for him and the fan demand that just came up for him. Lucas is probably another lock. Ice Climbers, only if they can fix the problems. He may not be able to please everyone,but he can please ALOT of people by doing:wolf::lucas:(and:popo: if 3DS issues are fixed) as DLC.
So Sakurai Bias is acceptable if it benefits the characters you want, right? :awesome:

:4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::4pit::4palutena::4darkpit:

Who do I think Sakurai picked? Personally, I think he is going to pick this guy. :mewtwopm:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
As much as I expect a few buyouts, I don't see third party characters going any higher than three characters. But I made a line of succession for third party characters, so can I get some opinions on it?

Snake- Konami
Rayman- Ubisoft
Final Fantasy Rep- Square Enix
Shantae- WayForward
Quote- Studio Pixel

Besides, I know I've said this a million times since the thread reopened, but I do not think we will get any third party characters as DLC, nor do I want any unless it's Snake

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I have a tendency to support characters from games that I actually play... so I say Simon Belmont for SSB5 (Snake can have Brawl for all I care)... I haven't played a Rayman game yet... not sure where to start...

I have played Shantae and Cave Story so I wouldn't mind seeing Shantae and Quote in Smash.

As for a Final Fantasy rep, I always liked the idea of a Chocobo & Slime team since it would simultaneously represent both Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest... and I think it would be cute to see Duck Hunt Dog & Duck with Chocobo & Slime together. Also, I actually played Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy VI for the SNES and Dragon Quest VIII for the PS2 and Dragon Quest VI for the DS.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
As much as I expect a few buyouts, I don't see third party characters going any higher than three characters. But I made a line of succession for third party characters, so can I get some opinions on it?

Snake- Konami
Rayman- Ubisoft
Shantae- WayForward
Quote- Studio Pixel
I'd put Professor Layton somewhere in there, but otherwise I agree.

A Final Fantasy Rep would be fantastic, something like the Black Mage or Moogle would fit in perfectly with the other third party cast.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
While the anime characters are weird to have around, you have to admit that Super Smash Flash 2's addition of Chibi-Robo, Isaac, and Black Mage are pretty good ideas.
I especially love the Black Mage because of the all the little FF nods in his moveset. Seems like something Sakurai would definitely make.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
As for a Final Fantasy rep, I always liked the idea of a Chocobo & Slime team since it would simultaneously represent both Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest... and I think it would be cute to see Duck Hunt Dog & Duck with Chocobo & Slime together. Also, I actually played Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy VI for the SNES and Dragon Quest VIII for the PS2 and Dragon Quest VI for the DS.
Yea Chocobo and Slime being their series representatives would nicely showcase Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. Although a big Final Fantasy has not been on Nintendo since FF6 (except crystal chronicles, other side stories, remakes).

While the anime characters are weird to have around, you have to admit that Super Smash Flash 2's addition of Chibi-Robo, Isaac, and Black Mage are pretty good ideas.
I am always up for Isaac.

I thought a Chocobo might be more iconic than a Black Mage although a Moogle will also be pretty representative.

Did the update for Flash 2 come out yet?

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Well...the only 3rd party rep I would like Is Snake to come back so...I don't have much say in the area of Third Parties.

Cool talks thought, very interesting points all around.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well.

We're just going to have to support Rayman and Snake up the wazoo.

And a thought, Rayman is published by Nintendo in Japan right? So they own a partial amount of the IP. (Probably very small). Do you think that would help him at all?

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Well.

And a thought, Rayman is published by Nintendo in Japan right? So they own a partial amount of the IP. (Probably very small). Do you think that would help him at all?
I mean, having fan approval from Japan is what lead to Dark Pit getting his own character slot so....ya?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I mean, having fan approval from Japan is what lead to Dark Pit getting his own character slot so....ya?
Except that isn't how Dark Pit got in and while well liked, he was not a common request for Smash Bros.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Well.

Rayman Legends was published by Nintendo in Japan and was a Wii U exclusive there. All the other Japanese releases were published by Ubisoft. I believe his chances are just the same as any other third party character.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I haven't played a Rayman game yet... not sure where to start...
Origins is as good a place as any.

It's a great little platformer full of bizarre charm.

As much as I like Rayman though, I can't see him a mainstay even should he get in.

If we don't get more than three 3rd parties in the future, I don't see anyone who could topple our current perfect trio of 3rd party characters. No other third party has as much gravity as those three.

Last edited:

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534

Snake- Konami
Rayman- Ubisoft
Shantae- WayForward
Quote- Studio Pixel

Besides, I know I've said this a million times since the thread reopened, but I do not think we will get any third party characters as DLC, nor do I want any unless it's Snake
I'd switch Rayman and Final Fantasy Rep.

Side note that isn't really relevant to the immediate discussion - Unless the Smash series ends (which, hahahahaha), I fully believe that at some point in the future Master Chief will appear in Smash 12 or whatever, for much the same reason as Sonic got added to Brawl.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
So Sakurai Bias is acceptable if it benefits the characters you want, right? :awesome:

:4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::4pit::4palutena::4darkpit:

Who do I think Sakurai picked? Personally, I think he is going to pick this guy. :mewtwopm:
Like I said I won't believe it till I see it, I've just heard from many that Sakurai said Wolf is his favorite Star Fox character. Plus unlike the others, Sakurai hasn't worked with Wolf, he's simply one of his favorite Nintendo characters. Though if the Namco team and Sakurai really like Wolf, they'll add him in to settle their bias, make fans happy, and promote Star Fox U. Also he already picked Mewtwo, now he needs to pick another.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
One thing that bugs me about Simon is that he's only the main character of 4 Castlvania games and made major appearances in a couple other games. He's not like Sonic, Megaman, Pac-Man, or even Sanke (if you count Solid and Naked Snake as one character) who are the main characters of almost all of there games. I also don't know what design they'ed go with since it keeps changing, but my guess would be his Chronicles design.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
i thought his design in Mirror of Fate would fit in a game like Smash Bros....or does everyone hate Mirror of Fate? I like it...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Only Legends.

Last edited by a moderator:

T the Mewtwo fan

Smash Rookie
So, actually is there a Shovel Knight thread? if not someone really should fix that. I mean Shovel Knight is a very popular Indie game. And if there ever was to be an Indie rep for smash i would demand it be Shovel Knight!

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Only Legends.
And that is also one of the unfortunate reasons why Rayman may not be playable, because of Ubisoft betraying Nintendo, I think just a few weeks before the game's release. True it was exclusive in Japan,but Ubisoft broke the deal, it was going to be a Wii U exclusive, but then it became a multiplat and to make matters worse, the completed game was delayed, so it couldn't even be a timed exclusive, no offense to Rayman fans (in fact I feel kind of sorry for Rayman), but I don't think Ubisoft deserves any playable reps in Smash Bros. They had they're chance and they blew it, and now they're currently pulling ******** with glitch games. If they were in better relations with Nintendo, sure Rayman has a shot, but when they won't even put a Monopoly game on Wii U, a ******* Monopoly game on Wii U, they don't really deserve a playable rep in smash bros. I wish Rayman fans luck, you have a tough road ahead, stay strong.
Here's the article if anyone's curious.
http://mynintendonews.com/2014/11/25/ubisoft-announces-monopoly/

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Because no other third party rep has even been on a non-Nintendo console.
Also, I don't see what Ubisoft's faults have to do with Rayman not getting in. Sonic's games have been doing crap lately (especially with Sonic Boom), and Capcom has not released a Mega Man game in a long time, but look what happened with them.

Lastly, I don't see what the Monopoly game has to do with anything.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Because no other third party rep has even been on a non-Nintendo console.
Also, I don't see what Ubisoft's faults have to do with Rayman not getting in. Sonic's games have been doing crap lately (especially with Sonic Boom), and Capcom has not released a Mega Man game in a long time, but look what happened with them.

Lastly, I don't see what the Monopoly game has to do with anything.
Legends was a good game. Also Sega and Nintendo get along REALLY well nowadays unlike Ubisoft. If Ubisoft isn't going to put games on Wii U, why should Nintendo put Ubisoft's character in Smash Bros? The only way I could see this happening is if Ubisoft puts more games on Wii U at the price of Rayman being playable in Smash Bros, though considering what Ubisoft did with Legends, I don't know if that would happen. Rayman is kind of in Snake's boat, where their respective companies aren't really supporting Nintendo's home console very much.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
But Rayman Legends was still put on the Wii U. Was it a jerk move that they decided out of nowhere to do this? Sure. But I can still see why they did it.

And on top of that, I thought a character had to be judged by their own merits in order to get in.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I don't see how Ubisoft's recent actions takes away from Rayman's chances. I suppose that's just an opinionated thing, though. Some will agree, some won't.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Man, all you guys talking about something I have no feelings on

Makes me feel so alive to see other's passion *Poseslike a man with sparkles* Truly feelings generate the grandest of emotions from we human beings~!

NOW

LOOK AT ME SPARKLE!

(armstrongforsmash7)

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
I feel like we need a thread somewhere where people just describe how their favorite characters would work in Smash, without the context of being potential DLC. I have ideas for so many characters. I made movesets for Duke Nukem and Adon from Cho Aniki.

EDIT: Hadn't seen the post above... that last character seems even more fitting now, lol.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
But Rayman Legends was still put on the Wii U. Was it a jerk move that they decided out of nowhere to do this? Sure. But I can still see why they did it.

And on top of that, I thought a character had to be judged by their own merits in order to get in.
Well for third parties they do have to do licensing stuff, but if it was solely on character merits, Snake might have come back, Ubisoft kind of turned me against them with their actions.
I don't see how Ubisoft's recent actions takes away from Rayman's chances. I suppose that's just an opinionated thing, though. Some will agree, some won't.
Rayman could serve as an olive branch between Nintendo and Ubisoft. That's probably the only way I see him getting in.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
"Ubisoft betraying Nintendo."

When will people understand that these are companies that need to make money in order to operate and stay in business?

This isn't some kid selling out his friend to get out of trouble, there's no betrayal, there's nothing.

And the fact that has been brought up many times, the presidents of Nintendo and Sony both own their "rival" company's products.

Silly fanboy wars have absolutely no effect on dealings between companies. Like the Mario movie being made by Sony.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534

When will people understand that these are companies that need to make money in order to operate and stay in business?

This isn't some kid selling out his friend to get out of trouble, there's no betrayal, there's nothing.

And the fact that has been brought up many times, the presidents of Nintendo and Sony both own their "rival" company's products.

Silly fanboy wars have absolutely no effect on dealings between companies. Like the Mario movie being made by Sony.
That last part could alternatively be an argument for why competing companies should never interact.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
That last part could alternatively be an argument for why competing companies should never interact.
Competing companies very often work together on occasion to gain a mutual benefit. By virtue of this, we have crossovers of the likes of Project X Zone. Sega, Namco, and Capcom are very much "competing" with each other in the same way that Nintendo and Sony do. They make their own games that they intend to sell, and logically speaking, any other companies game that is on the same console would be "taking a share" from them. But unlike petty fanboys who can't get along with each other, these companies are made up of petty businessmen who know that working with their competition will only make more money for both parties.

In other words, the kid selling candy bars doesn't care about the kid selling lemonade. They might even work together.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Dude, it was a joke. I was jokingly saying the fact that Sony made the Mario movie should be a reason to never cross the streams again

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Dude, it was a joke. I was jokingly saying the fact that Sony made the Mario movie should be a reason to never cross the streams again
I was just continuing to make a point on the subject of how companies work.

I'm sure Sony and Nintendo can still get along, even after the PlayStation ordeal.

Though some Nintendo fans seem to forget that it was Nintendo that "back-stabbed" Sony in that particular instance.

Sausage Zeldas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sanics
3DS FC
2509-2629-0987
Another thing to keep in mind is that some dealings of Nintendo's don't have anything to do with Sakurai or his productions. Sakurai could be having a nice lemonade with Ubisoft while Iwata is off selling his soul to curse them with eternal torture.
Or vice-versa.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Though some Nintendo fans seem to forget that it was Nintendo that "back-stabbed" Sony in that particular instance.
Not exactly. The contract offered by Sony was putting Nintendo at a disadvantage. Something to do with the rights to the IPs so Nintendo had no choice but to reject the Play Station deal.

Selenite

Smash Cadet

There was also an "unexpected guest" at PlayStation Experience which was the Nintendo 3DS.

But unfortunately some people think it's that Tabuu to own more than one platform.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Might as well leave this here

S tier
Mewtwo

A tier
Wolf, Fiora, Krystal, King K Rool

B tier
Issac, Mach Rider, Reyn, Sceptile

C tier
Impa, Black Shadow, Lucas

LOL tier