• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
I always loved playing the custom robo games when I was a wee nerd. Though I think I only played the second one for gamecube...

?????????????

Smash Master
I thought he mean't credible for playable

Besides sylux is more likely than anothny and adam and the other hunters anyway
My belief is that pretty much every character from Metroid besides Samus is so infrequent and so significantly less important than Samus, that we will never see another playable Metroid character in Smash. The only exception is Ridley, who Sakurai doesn't believe is playable material.

So unless something changes in the core Metroid games, like Ridley's size or the sudden emergence of other important characters, Samus is all we will ever see in Smash.

That's my belief at this point of time, anyway.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
My belief is that pretty much every character from Metroid besides Samus is so infrequent and so significantly less important than Samus, that we will never see another playable Metroid character in Smash. The only exception is Ridley, who Sakurai doesn't believe is playable material.

So unless something changes in the core Metroid games, like Ridley's size or the sudden emergence of other important characters, Samus is all we will ever see in Smash.

And what if we do get another Metroid Character? what then?

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Actually, Ridley kicked him around, but not before Grey Voice did a lot of damage to Mother Brain.
I thought he kicked around Mother Brain and then dealt Ridley one-two shots before he got beaten himself

Well I do agree with the sentiment that Metroid is unlikely to get another representative the way Sakurai treated Ridley and the infrequent appearance of any other character in the series besides Samus. They did split her into two different characters for Smash anyway.

On the other hand, I am all up for the missing assists as playable characters. Isaac definitely (my avatar and sig obviously point to that) has great potential and is not an insignificant character as well as Ray.

I wonder if we will learn something about DLC in the next Nintendo Direct, hopefully around February.

?????????????

Smash Master
And what if we do get another Metroid Character? what then?
It depends. If it's someone like Sylux, or Weavel, or Anthony, some character who has only made an appearance in a single game, I'll be surprised they were picked over the addition of a miscellaneous character starring their own series, such as Isaac or Ray. Heck, I'd be surprised they were picked over another Mario, Zelda, or Pokemon character. Not necessarily disappointed, but very surprised.

If it's someone like Kraid or Mother Brain, I'd be pissed.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
It depends. If it's someone like Sylux, or Weavel, or Anthony, some character who has only made an appearance in a single game, I'll be surprised they were picked over the addition of a miscellaneous character starring their own series, such as Isaac or Ray. Heck, I'd be surprised they were picked over another Mario, Zelda, or Pokemon character. Not necessarily disappointed, but very surprised.

If it's someone like Kraid or Mother Brain, I'd be pissed.
I'll be very disappointed if it is another Mario or Zelda character. We need some more series to be represented rather than the same ones getting more and more representation. Although Ganondorf could have been changed and I wouldn't mind Impa for Zelda. No more Pokemon characters.

I doubt any of the Metroid Prime Hunters would make it. Or Anthony.

And aren't Kraid and Mother Brain TOO big as well?

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
I think the series Limit for characters should be 6. It allows for the developers to cover more ground in the series and represent more of that series.

and if you go above 6 then we got a problem....*ahem*Mario*ahem*

?????????????

Smash Master
I'll be very disappointed if it is another Mario or Zelda character. We need some more series to be represented rather than the same ones getting more and more representation. Although Ganondorf could have been changed and I wouldn't mind Impa for Zelda. No more Pokemon characters.

I think the series Limit for characters should be 6. It allows for the developers to cover more ground in the series and represent more of that series.

and if you go above 6 then we got a problem....*ahem*Mario*ahem*
What you can say about more Mario and Pokemon characters is that there are still plenty of those characters that are more recognized as Nintendo icons than most of the SSB roster. I would say that Waluigi and Meowth, for example, are much more well-known as Nintendo characters than, say, Palutena, or Ike, or Ness, or heck, maybe even Samus.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Yea but Smash really helps to give more exposure to the smaller series. If we just say that then we should just get all the Mario side cast as they will be more popular than any other Fire Emblem character or Metroid character. And all the other smaller series characters.

Waluigi and Meowth may be more popular, but there should be a limit to Mario and Pokemon. This is not Super Mario Smash or Pokemon Smash Bros. (we are getting Pokken Fighters later on).

?????????????

Smash Master
Yea but Smash really helps to give more exposure to the smaller series. If we just say that then we should just get all the Mario side cast as they will be more popular than any other Fire Emblem character or Metroid character. And all the other smaller series characters.

Waluigi and Meowth may be more popular, but there should be a limit to Mario and Pokemon. This is not Super Mario Smash or Pokemon Smash Bros. (we are getting Pokken Fighters later on).
I agree. But given this library of characters, a secondary Metroid character looks way, too far down the line to even be plausible.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord

Legend of Zelda got NO newcomers this iteration (outside of possible DLC). Unless you count the Zelda/Shiek split, but she was already in Smash anyway. While I agree smaller series should also get playable characters (as an Earthbound fan), we must also pay attention to the fact that their games should not have more representation than the big and popular series.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Ok makes sense

The key reason is theres that rumor on the secret ending on metroid prime 3 that ship is sylux due to body design

?????????????

Smash Master
I would expect new miscellaneous characters, a return of cut veterans, a new Pokemon, a new Donkey Kong character (please), a new Zelda character, a new Mario character, a new third party character, and another Fire Emblem Awakening character before I would expect to see a new Metroid character.

Ok makes sense

The key reason is theres that rumor on the secret ending on metroid prime 3 that ship is sylux due to body design
Sure, but Metroid Prime 3 was released in 2007, a year before Brawl. If they were going to do anything significant with Sylux, wouldn't they have done it by now?

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I would expect new miscellaneous characters, a return of cut veterans, a new Pokemon, a new Donkey Kong character (please), a new Zelda character, a new Mario character, a new third party character, and another Fire Emblem Awakening character before I would expect to see a new Metroid character.

Sure, but Metroid Prime 3 was released in 2007, a year before Brawl. If they were going to do anything significant with Sylux, wouldn't they have done it by now?
Nonody knew whos ship that was on prime 3

Its morely like heavyily implied to be the defino 7

And besides sylux is a trophy in brawl

All of the hunter trophys are missing in ssb4

http://smashboards.com/threads/enemy-of-the-federation-sylux-for-ssb4-dlc.383187/#post-18212318
This kindof explains why sylux is the most possible

?????????????

Smash Master
Nonody knew whos ship that was on prime 3

Its morely like heavyily implied to be the defino 7

And besides sylux is a trophy in brawl

All of the hunter trophys are missing in ssb4

http://smashboards.com/threads/enemy-of-the-federation-sylux-for-ssb4-dlc.383187/#post-18212318
This kindof explains why sylux is the most possible
The best you can say about Sylux is that he's slightly more likely than any other Hunter from Metroid Prime to become playable in Smash. But that's still quite a jump.

More than anything, it just sounds like desperation to add a subpar character purely for the satisfaction of having more Metroid characters. Why settle for that when there's better characters in other series in general?

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Only way I could see another Metroid character getting in before Ridley is if Sakurai turns a generic Space Pirate into a character.

Other then that, unless Sylux/Anthony appear in a future Metroid game. (Doesn't matter if Sylux's ship cameo's at the end of Prime 3 if they don't follow up on it) The only way we're getting another Metroid character is if Sakurai changes his mind about Ridley.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Legend of Zelda got NO newcomers this iteration (outside of possible DLC). Unless you count the Zelda/Shiek split, but she was already in Smash anyway. While I agree smaller series should also get playable characters (as an Earthbound fan), we must also pay attention to the fact that their games should not have more representation than the big and popular series.
Well I guess I wouldn't mind a Zelda newcomer as much. Impa is a good candidate, especially with her Skyward Sword and Hyrule Warriors appearance.

A series which got more representation than a big series is easily Kid Icarus. Much more stuff than Donkey Kong and Metroid.

Fire Emblem is also getting close to being overrepresented considering it is not that big of a series with the latest game being the only one to have crossed the one million sales mark.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Well I guess I wouldn't mind a Zelda newcomer as much. Impa is a good candidate, especially with her Skyward Sword and Hyrule Warriors appearance.

A series which got more representation than a big series is easily Kid Icarus. Much more stuff than Donkey Kong and Metroid.

Fire Emblem is also getting close to being overrepresented considering it is not that big of a series with the latest game being the only one to have crossed the one million sales mark.
Sadly, with both Ness and Lucas, Earthbound was at the tipping point in Brawl, with equal ammount of playable characters as playable DK characters, and more stages too. But it wasn't as bad as Kid Icarus in this game, but some of it can be justifiable. For example the models of much of the KI items were already programmed on 3DS, so they took less time than others.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026

I don't think Fire Emblem is getting over rept, Heck they only had Two characters and most likely the smallest Trophy amount from what I've seen so far (I don't have all the trophies unlocked yet, trophy store helps though) and we still don't have a GBA Fire Emblem rep yet (Which goes down to Roy, Hector/Lyn if ATDLC, or Ephriham)

Again, A 6 character series limit for some of the bigger franchise seems like a smart move to make.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I don't think Fire Emblem is getting over rept, Heck they only had Two characters and most likely the smallest Trophy amount from what I've seen so far (I don't have all the trophies unlocked yet, trophy store helps though) and we still don't have a GBA Fire Emblem rep yet (Which goes down to Roy, Hector/Lyn if ATDLC, or Ephriham)

Again, A 6 character series limit for some of the bigger franchise seems like a smart move to make.
Well I said it was getting close to being over-repped.

A GBA rep is most probably a pipe dream now since Lyndis despite being not the main of her game, is the most iconic GBA possible rep and is an AT. Ephraim and Hector who would be different being a lance user and an axe user respectively, are probably not likely.

Roy was already removed.

We now have Marth, a female Marth (with damage dealt differently), Ike and Robin. If every character is carried forward, FE would have 5+ reps by Smash 5 which will be a lot. I love FE but not so many reps should be in the game.

Sadly, with both Ness and Lucas, Earthbound was at the tipping point in Brawl, with equal ammount of playable characters as playable DK characters, and more stages too. But it wasn't as bad as Kid Icarus in this game, but some of it can be justifiable. For example the models of much of the KI items were already programmed on 3DS, so they took less time than others.
Well it might make some sense but other series could have been given preference. Anyway now Dark Pit is here to stay so we can just hope for better DLC options.

Like getting back the cut characters and a few new characters like Isaac, K. Rool, Ray, Wonder Red, etc. Or even an unlikely Metroid rep which will not be Ridley due to Sakurai.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Can we all make a pact for when Smash 5 speculation starts that, at least on Smashboards, all leaks are bull**** until proven not bull****? Seriously, Gematsu ruined speculation for Smash 4.

Also, Kraid for DLC :4wario2:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Well I said it was getting close to being over-repped.

A GBA rep is most probably a pipe dream now since Lyndis despite being not the main of her game, is the most iconic GBA possible rep and is an AT. Ephraim and Hector who would be different being a lance user and an axe user respectively, are probably not likely.

Roy was already removed.

We now have Marth, a female Marth (with damage dealt differently), Ike and Robin. If every character is carried forward, FE would have 5+ reps by Smash 5 which will be a lot. I love FE but not so many reps should be in the game.
I agree that FE should not have too many reps while it is still one of Nintendo's "Second famous" games but I think that they just need 1 or 2 reps for the GBA FE games. after that is done I will proudly say that anymore FE reps will be too much.

Can we all make a pact for when Smash 5 speculation starts that, at least on Smashboards, all leaks are bull**** until proven not bull****? Seriously, Gematsu ruined speculation for Smash 4.

I second this 100 and 10%

Last edited:

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Personally, I'd love to see Sigurd. He's probably my #1 pipe-dream character (after Lemmy which actually ended up happening), he could have an interesting dynamic by riding a horse, possibly causing intentional input delay on movement and making him a bigger target, but also being incredibly powerful by using Tyrfing and Sigurd's Lance.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970

Kraid as DLC would be both hilarious and infuriating.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Personally, I'd love to see Sigurd. He's probably my #1 pipe-dream character (after Lemmy which actually ended up happening), he could have an interesting dynamic by riding a horse, possibly causing intentional input delay on movement and making him a bigger target, but also being incredibly powerful by using Tyrfing and Sigurd's Lance.
Sigurd could be a possibility if they go with a remake of his game, considering the recent rerise of the Kid system in Awakening. that and a FE6/7 remake.

Heck, If FE x SMT goes well enough we could see a big rise in older FE titles getting more attention.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
I still hope that SMTxFE brings more attention and fandom to the FE2 characters like Dissidia: Final Fantasy did for FF2.

FE2 was actually the first Fire Emblem game I played, back when I was binging NES JRPGs, and Alm remains my favorite Lord.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Yea I really want FE x SMT to come out.

Both are some of my favourite games. Plus it might work like SMT : Devil Survivor Overclocked a game which I loved. Would increase exposure of both franchises involved.

Plus some SMT characters for Smash might make it :)

King of Bel for Smash 5!

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
SMT x FE is the most "in the dark" game going around right now. No one knows what it's progress is, how it will work, or even what its about. We just know its an RPG and its in modern times.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
By this point, I'm only believing in leaks that actually have any solid evidence like what happened with the ESRB leak. Anyone can just BS anything with text.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767

Thats not how speculation works. Speculation is forming a theory even without firm evidence. If people want to make a prediction based on a leak, thats there call. Even if it's not 100% accurate.

If people think The chorus men are going to be dlc, or going to be in the next smash game because gematsu still, that is there call. It may be a gamble, but some people feel risky.

If some other leaker comes out for smash 5, thats also there call.

But with that said, blind faith is never a good idea correct.

Also, I do like Kraid more then Ridley, but Ridley does deserve it more. :p

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
I sort of Like that we we're already jumping the gun for Smash 5's roster when we just got Smash 4 XD its kinda funny in a sad way

Also, I just finished Event mode! huzzah for me and all my new grey hairs!

edit: also my splitting head ache....ow....;~;

Last edited:

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
If nothing else, can we at least not take any leak as gospel?

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
I sort of Like that we we're already jumping the gun for Smash 5's roster when we just got Smash 4 XD its kinda funny in a sad way

Also, I just finished Event mode! huzzah for me and all my new grey hairs!

edit: also my splitting head ache....ow....;~;
People need to slow down, the game hasn't been out long enough and the next Smash game won't be for another 5-7 years lol

And I can't wait to do event mode again. I remember completing all of the events in Brawl.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
People need to slow down, the game hasn't been out long enough and the next Smash game won't be for another 5-7 years lol

And I can't wait to do event mode again. I remember completing all of the events in Brawl.
Well prepare your butt because all of the new events are HARDER than Brawl's events.

Have fun with that!

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I won't care about the next Smash until Nintendo's next console comes out.

Until then, DLC.
Yes support DLC. (check my sig for who I must have for DLC.) As for my wants, Sami(could be a Snake semi clone if he doesn't come back, plus Advance Wars needs and deserves reps.) Pious, and John Raimi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom