• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
They were probably just on the drawing board though since I imagine deciding to remove transformations would be a pre development decision.
That would have to been a decision made during development, as Sakurai specifically stated the 3DS was having problems with transformation characters. Wouldn't have been able to know that pre development

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I thought the code was already picked apart for character data, and nothing was found, you know there was no forbidden 7 or whatever.
Including the Ice Climbers, whom we KNOW were in the game.

All it means is they cut additional elements out this time. Which would make sense if they partially completed characters and wanted to release them later as DLC.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
*ahem*
Do I need to POSE FOR THE FANS all over your face?

.....that sounds so wrong out of context....
Sorry, I didn't get the reference. I assumed it had something to do with Wrestler. Yeah, doesn't Wrestler appear in all three games as well?

D

Deleted member

Sorry, I didn't get the reference. I assumed it had something to do with Wrestler. Yeah, doesn't Wrestler appear in all three games as well?
Unfortunately, no.
The Wandering Samurai/Samurai Steve does, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Remember when we all expected only 8-10 newcomers in the main roster.
Good times. :troll:
I still remember when Duck Hunt Dog will never get in ever because he is not popular, will never generate hype, and he has no moves. Good times. :troll:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I still remember when Duck Hunt Dog will never get in ever because he is not popular, will never generate hype, and he has no moves. Good times. :troll:
Remember when we all thought that we'd get a Dixie + Diddy combo on the Valentine's Day Nintendo Direct because of "muh relevance". Good times (even more good since transformation/switchable characters were fully deconfirmed two months later). :troll:

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
That would have to been a decision made during development, as Sakurai specifically stated the 3DS was having problems with transformation characters. Wouldn't have been able to know that pre development
I don't remember that one, do you have a reference?

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Including the Ice Climbers, whom we KNOW were in the game.

All it means is they cut additional elements out this time. Which would make sense if they partially completed characters and wanted to release them later as DLC.
Well we will have to wait for dlc to really know for sure then, however if they need 6 months to complete them like mewtwo, then I doubt they were partially done.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Popularity? Are you ****ing kidding me? You're out of your mind, right?

Chorus Kids were NEVER, EVER mentioned ONCE as far as character ideas were concerned prior to the Gematsu leak. Chorus Kids only became popular BECAUSE of the Gematsu leak. Popularity my ***. The Rhythm Heaven Girl and Karate Joe were the only RH characters really brought up prior to Gematsu. The max anyone had any ideas for in regards to the Chorus Kids was for an Assist Trophy, and even then that was moreso a joke comic than someone actually asking for them to be an AT.
Marshal was brought up occasionally as well, he had his own thread an everything. It's why most people assumed Sal's leaker actually just misidentified Marshal.

But yeah, they were never anywhere near popular.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Marshal was brought up occasionally as well, he had his own thread an everything. It's why most people assumed Sal's leaker actually just misidentified Marshal.

But yeah, they were never anywhere near popular.
I was wrong to say "only." They were the main ones brought up, but not the "only" ones. Chorus Kids were definitely never really considered at any point.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The only Rhythm Heaven character I knew about before Sal was the Wrestler / Reporter.
Also, still the only one that is acceptable.
I never even heard of Rhythm Heaven before Sal. I just know that people were bringing up several characters from the series on occasion when I first came here. The ones I heard that were most brought up prior to Sal were Rhythm Heaven Girl and Karate Joe.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I never even heard of Rhythm Heaven before Sal. I just know that people were bringing up several characters from the series on occasion when I first came here. The ones I heard that were most brought up prior to Sal were Rhythm Heaven Girl and Karate Joe.
I knew about the Wrestler and Reporter because of this parody:
Resulting in me wanting the Wrestler later on.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Gematsu made me look more into Rhythm Heaven and I am now a fan of Marshal as character. Still largely "meh" on Chorus Kids, although I would love to see the sort of move set Sakurai would develop for them.

Shulk was considered to have "a decent chance" and was on a lot of wish lists and prediction lists from the start (I know he was on mine) but he wasn't considered a "shoo-in" until Gematsu part 2. His chances at playability in the eyes of the Smash community where steadily growing since the Nintendo Direct that debuted Little Mac though, as little things such as Monolithsoft tweeting Smash news, the debut of X/confirmation that it was a Xenoblade game, and hints from both of Shulk's voice actors started lending credibility to that notion.

I wouldn't say Isaac was a shoo-in. He was thought to, much like Shulk, have a decent chance at making it into the game but was in no way a guarantee. Issac had more support then Shulk at the start of Smash speculation but that shifted as time went on . Sadly enough, a lot of people made it an either/or situation with those two because apparently the game can only handle one blonde JRPG protagonist. I've always strongly supported both characters and Isaac is on the top of my DLC wish list at the moment.

The only characters that I would say were seen as shoo-ins prior to the official Smash 4 reveal that didn't make it in are one of the Donkey Kong duo (K. Rool or Dixie) and Ridley. Chrom is borderline, since he was heavily expected but a lot of people where very loud in saying that Lucina, Robin, a returning Roy, a Lucina/Chrom tag team, or just Marth and Ike were all real possibilities for Fire Emblem this time around.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Chrom is borderline, since he was heavily expected but a lot of people where very loud in saying that Lucina, Robin, a returning Roy, or just Marth and Ike were all real possibilities for Fire Emblem this time around.
Hooray for being a Lucina ambassador!
If I remember correctly, nobody expected a Mario newcomer at first. Now, we have two!

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Hooray for being a Lucina ambassador!
If I remember correctly, nobody expected a Mario newcomer at first. Now, we have two!
What's funny is that Bowser Jr. had a lot of buzz around him prior to Rosalina's reveal, but nobody believed that we could possibly have two Mario reps so it died quick right after.

Toad, Paper Mario, and Waluigi are the only other Mario reps that had any sort of significant following. I think people believed we would get more Mario reps, but it was pretty split on who it would be.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Gematsu made me look more into Rhythm Heaven and I am now a fan of Marshal as character. Still largely "meh" on Chorus Kids, although I would love to see the sort of move set Sakurai would develop for them.

Shulk was considered to have "a decent chance" and was on a lot of wish lists and prediction lists from the start (I know he was on mine) but he wasn't considered a "shoo-in" until Gematsu part 2. His chances at playability in the eyes of the Smash community where steadily growing since the Nintendo Direct that debuted Little Mac though, as little things such as Monolithsoft tweeting Smash news, the debut of X/confirmation that it was a Xenoblade game, and hints from both of Shulk's voice actors started lending credibility to that notion.

I wouldn't say Isaac was a shoo-in. He was thought to, much like Shulk, have a decent chance at making it into the game but was in no way a guarantee. Issac had more support then Shulk at the start of Smash speculation but that shifted as time went on . Sadly enough, a lot of people made it an either/or situation with those two because apparently the game can only handle one blonde JRPG protagonist. I've always strongly supported both characters and Isaac is on the top of my DLC wish list at the moment.

The only characters that I would say were seen as shoo-ins prior to the official Smash 4 reveal that didn't make it in are one of the Donkey Kong duo (K. Rool or Dixie) and Ridley. Chrom is borderline, since he was heavily expected but a lot of people where very loud in saying that Lucina, Robin, a returning Roy, a Lucina/Chrom tag team, or just Marth and Ike were all real possibilities for Fire Emblem this time around.
Early on I thought Isaac was a shoo-in sadly, but I did change my tone as time went on. But it is true than many considered it an either/or situation, and I never saw that being the case and even now I still don't.

Actually, I see the same case with Dixie and K. Rool. Most see it as either/or. I see both as a viable possibility for DLC.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Chrom is borderline, since he was heavily expected but a lot of people where very loud in saying that Lucina, Robin, a returning Roy, a Lucina/Chrom tag team, or just Marth and Ike were all real possibilities for Fire Emblem this time around.
There's definitely some truth to this, but while there certainly was a notably large part of the community that supported non-Chrom characters, most of them were viewed as mere wishful thinkers. The vast majority of speculators believed Chrom to be a shoo-in from day one, and the Gematsu leak only solidified that belief. Anyone who disagreed at that time was usually ridiculed into silence.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
There's definitely some truth to this, but while there certainly was a notably large part of the community that supported non-Chrom characters, most of them were viewed as mere wishful thinkers. The vast majority of speculators believed Chrom to be a shoo-in from day one, and the Gematsu leak only solidified that belief. Anyone who disagreed at that time was usually ridiculed into silence.
Yeah. Even I felt that Chrom was inevitable IMMEDIATELY before Robin was confirmed. From the start I felt that Chrom was the most likely FE choice, but I did keep noting "Its very possible that we might not get Chrom, stop thinking Chrom is a guarantee." It wasn't until E3 came around and Gematsu was gospel that I started losing hope for Robin.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
As far as Rhythm Heaven goes, I think the main reason Sakurai chose the Chorus Kids (assuming that they were indeed planned) is because they were the ones that worked with the rhythm-based moveset he likely planned. I imagine the moveset would have revolved around timing the attacks of all three Chorus Kids perfectly in order to do maximum damage.

Take the standard special, for example. I imagine hitting the B button 3 times in perfect rhythm would have done much more damage than otherwise. This would be why the moveset couldn't be re-purposed to go over a single character like Marshal should things like technical limitation get in the way.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Personally, I'd love Waluigi as a newcomer in Smash 5.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Yea so far Nintendo for some reason, has not given any nice treatment to Camelot developed characters.

Why?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I can see Isaac's Assist Trophy being cut one of these reasons:

- He has not been relevant for some time. This does not make sense to me, as he is still quite popular.
- His Move ability caused lag issues for 3DS. This is what I think happened, personally.
- His Move ability was too overpowered. Unlikely.
- The Gust Bellows item made his move ability "redundant". Highly unlikely.

I'm betting on the second theory, and I also think that's why Ray MK 2 was cut, due to it being very projectile heavy. Excitebikers also could have been cut for this reason, as there are a lot of sudden characters that show up when you summon them.
I can't think of a reason why Barbara the Bat and Jill were cut, though, except the first theory, but that still seems silly.

Helirin and Resetti were cut because they ****ing sucked.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord

- He has not been relevant for some time. This does not make sense to me, as he is still quite popular.
- His Move ability caused lag issues for 3DS. This is what I think happened, personally.

I'm betting on the second theory, and I also think that's why Ray MK 2 was cut, due to it being very projectile heavy. Excitebikers also could have been cut for this reason, as there are a lot of sudden characters that show up when you summon them.
I can't think of a reason why Barbara the Bat and Jill were cut, though, except the first theory, but that still seems silly.

Hey, I thought Resetti was quite amusing though at times. And who is Helirin? I have to admit, I didn't actually think of those theories. But isn't infantry in 3DS? That would not make sense why Excitebikers were cut then.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Hey, I thought Resetti was quite amusing though at times. And who is Helirin? I have to admit, I didn't actually think of those theories. But isn't infantry in 3DS? That would not make sense why Excitebikers were cut then.
Well, Infantry and Tanks creates three soldiers and a single tank if I remember correctly, and not all at once.
Excitebikers spawn six bikes that move really fast all at the same time.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

How does hands cause lag in any sort of way?
He even shoots one shot of his move attack at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom