• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Anyone that's not an unimportant, prominent side-character or unfeasible for playability has a shot at being playable in Smash 5 in my opinion.
Hey I guess that is the first time I have agreed with you! Or second.

More side characters must have a chance at Smash 5 right?

Although I am still rooting for Isaac as Smash 4 DLC. He is a MAIN character after all :p

Argos

Smash Apprentice
It's probably way too soon to even begin to speculate about Smash 5. Too much time for franchises to rise and fall, too much time for Sakurai to change his mind on this or that (if he's even going to do this one!), too much time for standards of 'relevancy' to change. We're kind of nearing the end of all the 'obvious' options, it's going to be interesting to see what comes next.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It's probably way too soon to even begin to speculate about Smash 5. Too much time for franchises to rise and fall, too much time for Sakurai to change his mind on this or that (if he's even going to do this one!), too much time for standards of 'relevancy' to change. We're kind of nearing the end of all the 'obvious' options, it's going to be interesting to see what comes next.
Maybe there won't be a Smash 5. Maybe they'll just gradually update the current game instead and "Smash 5" will just be Smash 4 Ultimate with all the DLC for Smash 4 included and a couple of additions added.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Well, they'll have to make a new Smash for their next console.

So whenever the New Super Wii DSU 64 is announced, it'd be a perfect time for Smash 5 speculation.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Well, thing is, all stickers were cut, so it kinda makes sense.

I fail to see how Advance Wars has been "abandoned" and "in favor of" Fire Emblem. The two franchises coexisted for about 20 years (although the Wars games predate Fire Emblem by two years). Also, this past E3 Intelligent Systems actually stated they still had ideas for continuing both Advance Wars and Fire Emblem, so even then Advance Wars likely isn't dead, just currently dormant.
They did? That's cool.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
And if we talk about which of the SSB4 Assist Trophies would receive the Little Mac treatment in 5mash ?

My vote goes to Damus, Takamaru, and maybe Prince of Sablé.
I'd guess Takamaru to the point that i'd almost put money down on it. With his game released world-wide and the backlash from the Japanese (or so i've heard), he seems like a no-brainer for the next one.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Anyone that's not an unimportant, prominent side-character or unfeasible for playability has a shot at being playable in Smash 5 in my opinion.
Well there goes like half the cast.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'd guess Takamaru to the point that i'd almost put money down on it. With his game released world-wide and the backlash from the Japanese (or so i've heard), he seems like a no-brainer for the next one.
Except that's here and now. If the series doesn't continue, what makes it any more relevant to getting a playable appearance in the future? People said the exact same thing about Takamaru in this game.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Except that's here and now. If the series doesn't continue, what makes it any more relevant to getting a playable appearance in the future? People said the exact same thing about Takamaru in this game.
True, but before Takamaru was only a Japanese character- at least now he's worldwide.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Do keep in mind that most of the newcomer candidates people considered "likely" or "shoo-in" around here were characters that didn't make it into the initial roster as playable, so calling any potential newcomer for Smash 5 a "shoo-in" is kinda pointless.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Too keep in mind that most of the newcomer candidates people considered "likely" or "shoo-in" around here were characters that didn't make it into the initial roster as playable, so calling any potential newcomer for Smash 5 a "shoo-in" is kinda pointless.
Calling anyone is a shoe-in is kinda pointless, but at the same time, characters not getting into the roster doesn't mean much overall for speculating future additions. It only makes sense for people saying the same characters they stated before are still likely, since, well, they have to draw more characters from somewhere.

Although tbh, its really pointless speculating Smash 5 right now when we don't know what's going to happen. DLC is by far the better thing to speculate at this point.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Too keep in mind that most of the newcomer candidates people considered "likely" or "shoo-in" around here were characters that didn't make it into the initial roster as playable, so calling any potential newcomer for Smash 5 a "shoo-in" is kinda pointless.
Popular SSB4 Predicted 'shoo-ins' on Smashboards:
  • Ridley
  • K. Rool
  • Dixie Kong
  • Chrom
  • Isaac
  • Takamaru
  • Little Mac
  • Palutena
  • Mewtwo
Well...we got the last three, just. I can't honestly recall if Shulk was a popular choice or not prior to Gematsu.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
  • Ridley
  • K. Rool
  • Dixie Kong
  • Chrom
  • Isaac
  • Takamaru
  • Little Mac
  • Palutena
  • Mewtwo
Well...we got the last three, just. I can't honestly recall if Shulk was a popular choice or not prior to Gematsu.
Shulk was semi-popular. I did see his name pop up a lot, and he was WAY more popularly requested in Japan. In the west he was popular before Gematsu, but after Gematsu his popularity skyrocketed.

I also figured Mega Man would be one of the first characters announced for the game myself, but I didn't do much speculation prior to the announcement.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
  • Ridley
  • K. Rool
  • Dixie Kong
  • Chrom
  • Isaac
  • Takamaru
  • Little Mac
  • Palutena
  • Mewtwo
Mewtwo only got in as DLC as opposed to being on the initial roster, which definitely surprised me as, out of those characters listed, he was the only one I absolutely thought was a shoo-in during my earlier time speculating the Smash 4 roster by default regardless of any in-game evidence not actually hinting towards him one way or another nor any convincing leaks featuring him. It was only during the last two months before the 3DS version was released in Japan when I actually started to doubt him. Before that, even when Gematsu was king of speculation, did I feel that Mewtwo was a shoo-in

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Takamaru is ****, I'm not even sorry.

I'd love to see Prince of Sable. At least his game was good.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Takamaru is ****, I'm not even sorry.

I'd love to see Prince of Sable. At least his game was good.
I saw the original game and honestly it looked boring, but I'd rather reserve judgment until I actually played it.

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
Remember when we all expected only 8-10 newcomers in the main roster.
Good times. :troll:
I remember people were freaking out saying that there would be less characters in this game than Brawl. Good times.
  • Ridley
  • K. Rool
  • Dixie Kong
  • Chrom
  • Isaac
  • Takamaru
  • Little Mac
  • Palutena
  • Mewtwo
You know what, I am far happier with the line up that we got than the characters listed there.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I remember people were freaking out saying that there would be less characters in this game than Brawl. Good times.
You know what, I am far happier with the line up that we got than the characters listed there.
I'd of liked Dixie Kong, but the inclusion of Duck Hunt and Pac-Man easily made up for her exclusion.

Also I still don't get where Takamaru's popularity suddenly came from last year.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Remember when we all expected only 8-10 newcomers in the main roster.
Good times. :troll:
I remember when certain people thought we would only get one additional newcomer after the April Direct.

Good times.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
It seems now though that the original plan was in fact just 45 characters (not counting miis), until they decided they could flesh it out with Dark Pit, Lucina, and Dr. Mario. So that's only six more than brawl and fits well with sakurai's early quotes about roster size and balance worries. I don't think there would have been less than brawl, (that is just silly) but pre dlc 55 character rosters were quite crazy IMO.

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
It seems now though that the original plan was in fact just 45 characters (not counting miis), until the decided they could flesh it out with Dark Pit, Lucina, and Dr. Mario. So that's only six more than brawl and fits well with sakurai's early quotes about roster size and balance worries. I don't think there would have been less than brawl, (that is just silly) but pre dlc 55 character rosters were quite crazy IMO.
Actually based on what he has previously stated I'd say the original plan was a 50 character roster. We know he was working on Ice Climbers and failed, possibly the same with Chorus Kids, Mewtwo is coming but late, and Wolf and Lucas were victims of time restraints.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It seems now though that the original plan was in fact just 45 characters (not counting miis), until the decided they could flesh it out with Dark Pit, Lucina, and Dr. Mario. So that's only six more than brawl and fits well with sakurai's early quotes about roster size and balance worries. I don't think there would have been less than brawl, (that is just silly) but pre dlc 55 character rosters were quite crazy IMO.
Probably not. Sakurai always tries to push for as much as he can. I'd be very, very surprised if there wasn't more than just Ice Climbers cut from the default roster. And do keep in mind, Ice Climbers WERE in the game, so that number isn't accurate anyway. It was 46 before Ice Climbers were cut, and maybe even more than that.

Actually based on what he has previously stated I'd say the original plan was a 50 character roster. We know he was working on Ice Climbers and failed, possibly the same with Chorus Kids, Mewtwo is coming but late, and Wolf and Lucas were victims of time restraints.
I dunno. Based on what we know about Mewtwo, I don't think he was planned to be in the roster by default. He was probably considered, though.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Probably not. Sakurai always tries to push for as much as he can. I'd be very, very surprised if there wasn't more than just Ice Climbers cut from the default roster. And do keep in mind, Ice Climbers WERE in the game, so that number isn't accurate anyway. It was 46 before Ice Climbers were cut, and maybe even more than that.

I dunno. Based on what we know about Mewtwo, I don't think he was planned to be in the roster by default. He was probably considered, though.
Okay, I'll give you the ice climbers. But chorus kids, Lucas, wolf etc.. There is no solid evidence they made it past the initial cutting stage.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Okay, I'll give you the ice climbers. But chorus kids, Lucas, wolf etc.. There is no solid evidence they made it past the initial cutting stage.
I never said they were. However, in every game Sakurai has cut characters, sometimes late in development. There's likely several characters he cut in addition to IC's. There's no evidence whatsoever which specific characters they were, and I highly doubt Chorus Kids were ever once planned. But I also highly doubt Ice Climbers were the ONLY cut.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
There's also the matter of the Pokemon Trainer to consider. We know all transformation characters were separated due to 3DS limitations, though Squirtle and Ivysaur were the only ones cut in that process (understandably; without the Trainer to tie them all together, Squirtle and Ivysaur are not notable characters, especially when compared to Charizard). It's possible that they were originally planned to return as well, but were ultimately cut when transformations were removed and they no longer served much purpose.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Just some thoughts on why I think DLC will happen.

Popular Opinion - Sakurai's greatest concern was people's response to DLC, specific that the developers are cutting up content to sell. While that is a general concern with DLC and has been a normal practice for some companies, I think the response to DLC has been strong. I suspect his opinion will change when Mewtwo is finally released and when the feedback from the surveys comes back. I suspect Mewtwo will be a big hit and drive the decision for DLC.

The Name - It may seem weird, but a generic name works very well for added content. With a set name like "Melee" or "Brawl" you are more set into a structure as the name kind of defines the game. 3DS/Wii U is very generic. This gives them a lot of freedom to mold and change the original idea, which works wonders when you are doing patches and DLC. It also allows you to do more of a product suite rather than a single game. This ties into my next point.

Amiibo - I think people are not considering how much money making potential these and DLC have. We know a lot of Smash fans will buy character DLC just to have a bigger roster. So we know there is a lot of money to be made in that regard. But then there are these toys Nintendo also sells. With DLC, that lets Nintendo make more toys and make more money. This is similar to Activision and Disney's strategy with their figures and game. It's also great product tie in. Think of it: Splatoon is coming out. They not only make Splatoon DLC, but they also make an Inkling amiibo which has functionality with both games. No you've monetized all three and have a great tie in and reason for people to buy all of it. There is a lot of potential here for profit and I wouldn't doubt Nintendo sees this. I suspect Nintendo will be a big driver for DLC for this reason.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I highly doubt Chorus Kids were ever once planned.
In the name of Optimus Prime, Jaidyn! The choir boys had Gematsu, the Sneaky Spirit in Smash Run, and the popularity behind them. I'm sure they were tried for development, but assuming that Sal was specifically given the information as "Chorus Kids" and not a particular member, and how Sakurai explained that Chrom was considered for Smash, many people, myself included, believe that the Gematsu leak was right but outdated. Since a similar team (And by team, I mean the Ice Climbers) had trouble getting developed for Smash for 3DS, people just assume whatever kept the ice climbers out kept the choir boys out.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
In the name of Optimus Prime, Jaidyn! The choir boys had Gematsu, the Sneaky Spirit in Smash Run, and the popularity behind them. I'm sure they were tried for development, but assuming that Sal was specifically given the information as "Chorus Kids" and not a particular member, and how Sakurai explained that Chrom was considered for Smash, many people, myself included, believe that the Gematsu leak was right but outdated. Since a similar team (And by team, I mean the Ice Climbers) had trouble getting developed for Smash for 3DS, people just assume whatever kept the ice climbers out kept the choir boys out.
Popularity? Are you ****ing kidding me? You're out of your mind, right?

Chorus Kids were NEVER, EVER mentioned ONCE as far as character ideas were concerned prior to the Gematsu leak. Chorus Kids only became popular BECAUSE of the Gematsu leak. Popularity my ***. The Rhythm Heaven Girl and Karate Joe were the only RH characters really brought up prior to Gematsu. The max anyone had any ideas for in regards to the Chorus Kids was for an Assist Trophy, and even then that was moreso a joke comic than someone actually asking for them to be an AT.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Popularity? Are you ****ing kidding me? You're out of your mind, right?

Chorus Kids were NEVER, EVER mentioned ONCE as far as character ideas were concerned prior to the Gematsu leak. Chorus Kids only became popular BECAUSE of the Gematsu leak. Popularity my ***. The Rhythm Heaven Girl and Karate Joe were the only RH characters really brought up prior to Gematsu. The max anyone had any ideas for in regards to the Chorus Kids was for an Assist Trophy, and even then that was moreso a joke comic than someone actually asking for them to be an AT.
No, it's just common sense that the Choir Boys are the mascots of Rhythm Heaven from what I've heard.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
No, it's just common sense that the Choir Boys are the mascots of Rhythm Heaven from what I've heard.
They appear on the boxart of Rhythm Heaven DS. Along with a bunch of other characters. They appear in two minigames in that game, and that's it. They did cameo in something else, but in the series itself, they've appeared in two minigames in the whole series, both being in only one game.

The "mascot" of the series (if there is one) is probably Marshal or the girl on the boxart (she appears on the boxart of every game, though she technically doesn't appear in the game itself oddly enough).

EDIT: Ok, fine, they are the only characters on the front of the of Rhythm Heaven DS box:
http://vgboxart.com/boxes/DS/29772-rhythm-heaven-old-full.png

Here's the Fever boxart: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bb/Rhythm-heaven-fever.jpg

GBA: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1e/Rhythm_Tengoku_cover_art.jpg

Last edited:

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
There's also the matter of the Pokemon Trainer to consider. We know all transformation characters were separated due to 3DS limitations, though Squirtle and Ivysaur were the only ones cut in that process (understandably; without the Trainer to tie them all together, Squirtle and Ivysaur are not notable characters, especially when compared to Charizard). It's possible that they were originally planned to return as well, but were ultimately cut when transformations were removed and they no longer served much purpose.
They were probably just on the drawing board though since I imagine deciding to remove transformations would be a pre development decision.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
I never said they were. However, in every game Sakurai has cut characters, sometimes late in development. There's likely several characters he cut in addition to IC's. There's no evidence whatsoever which specific characters they were, and I highly doubt Chorus Kids were ever once planned. But I also highly doubt Ice Climbers were the ONLY cut.
I thought the code was already picked apart for character data, and nothing was found, you know there was no forbidden 7 or whatever.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
And if we talk about which of the SSB4 Assist Trophies would receive the Little Mac treatment in 5mash ?

My vote goes to Damus, Takamaru, and maybe Prince of Sablé.
Seems about good with these choices. Ridley had been shot down for good and Dark Samus is the only good Metroid left. With the game's localization and the small possibility of a revival happening (*Looks at Kamiya*), I'd say Taka's got a decent shot for the next round. Sable's rather iffy at the moment with the small content with this gen
(Not a single medley at all? Preposterous!), I'd say he'll eventually resort to him soon since there had been no GB in Smash 4.

Damn, I've almost forgot about the Japanese Miiverse uproar that occurred regarding the second choice. :laugh:

I would say Waluigi, but I'm afraid that he'll eventually be upstaged by Toad for obvious reasons. Isaac is a must too, assuming that he isn't DLC at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom