• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The rumor was based on a job posting though. It's not like some random person made a post on NeoGAF and said it.
And it was faulty as well. We don't know exactly what was going on with that rumor. For all we know they put the entire game name down incorrectly and it was meant for Soulcalibur 6.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I kinda wish they made more characters and stages unlockable instead of having only a couple characters and stages unlockable in the Wii U version. I don't really have much motivation to play all of the modes or play 100 matches after I got what I wanted. DHD and Duck Hunt were the first character/stage I unlocked after getting one KO in Cruel Smash and that was before I played the Smash mode. I wish that more newcomers like :rosalina::4bowserjr::4wiifit:were unlockable in addition to :4duckhunt::4darkpit::4lucina:. I want to play and earn extra characters and stages like I did in Melee... not so much in Brawl (Subspace Emissary was a chore) but SSB4 Wii U pretty much gives me almost everything the first time I turn on the game, unlike SSB4 3DS (it was almost like Smash 64 but I gave it a pass since it's on a portable console).

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
And it was faulty as well. We don't know exactly what was going on with that rumor. For all we know they put the entire game name down incorrectly and it was meant for Soulcalibur 6.
Doubtful

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/07/report-bandai-namco-recruiting-smash-bros-game-coming-2015/

“Social games are currently a big hit, but the current state of job opportunities for making retail games is critically low. In the midst of this, this will likely be your only chance to be part of a development project for the Smash Bros. [series], which has surpassed a total of 10 million in worldwide sales. And Bandai Namco believes that now is the best time to recruit programmers for retail games.”
Also specifically states the game is for Wii U and 3DS

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The interviewer you posted was in 2012 and we're at the end of 2014. Dark Dawn ended on a cliffhanger, so a sequel should have come out by now. I think it's safe to say the series is dead. It's not just the number of years it's been dormant but also weak sales and not even a lot of interest from fans.

At the end of the day, Issac wont be in Smash as there isn't enough interest in Golden Sun in general.
There was an even more recent interview where Camelot seemed like they are reluctant to even make another RPG in general. Dark Dawn's underperformance really demoralized them, and unlike the previous hiatus the series went through from the GBA installments to Dark Dawn, the fans seem to be a lot less numerous and ardent.

I think it was really Brawl where Isaac missed his chances though. On the Japanese side of things, requests for him collapsed during the pre-Smash 4 period. It was really his Western fanbase that kept things alive. However, at this point the GBA titles are over 10 years old, and Xenoblade has more or less usurped them as the "cult hit RPG made by a second-party developer". Shulk was basically Smash 4's Isaac, only he actually managed to get a playable slot.

The most disconcerting thing of all is that there was absolutely no Dark Dawn (or Golden Sun content in general) at all in Smash 4 3DS (the version that is primarily concerned with giving content to handheld games). In the Wii U version, I think the only content that has been confirmed for Golden Sun are two music tracks (one of which is a holdover from Brawl).

Isaac in general is strange. Its admirable that he basically probably has the third largest fanbase of all potential true newcomers (though that is probably going to change in the coming years), he is basically a relic from the pre-Brawl days that actually managed to hold on to a significant portion of his fanbase. However, as the older the GS GBA titles get, so does his fanbase, and eventually I feel a lot of them are simply going to move on from character cheerleading and speculation.

The main consolation prize for Isaac fans is that I feel his chances are very strong for Project M. He ranked number 1 in the semi-official newcomer poll on this site, and quite a few Project M team members have expressed interest in him.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
There was an even more recent interview where Camelot seemed like they are reluctant to even make another RPG in general. Dark Dawn's underperformance really demoralized them, and unlike the previous hiatus the series went through from the GBA installments to Dark Dawn, the fans seem to be a lot less numerous and ardent.

I think it was really Brawl where Isaac missed his chances though. On the Japanese side of things, requests for him collapsed during the pre-Smash 4 period. It was really his Western fanbase that kept things alive. However, at this point the GBA titles are over 10 years old, and Xenoblade has more or less usurped them as the "cult hit RPG made by a second-party developer". Shulk was basically Smash 4's Isaac, only he actually managed to get a playable slot.

The most disconcerting thing of all is that there was absolutely no Dark Dawn (or Golden Sun content in general) at all in Smash 4 3DS (the version that is primarily concerned with giving content to handheld games). In the Wii U version, I think the only content that has been confirmed for Golden Sun are two music tracks (one of which is a holdover from Brawl).

Isaac in general is strange. Its admirable that he basically probably has the third largest fanbase of all potential true newcomers (though that is probably going to change in the coming years), he is basically a relic from the pre-Brawl days that actually managed to hold on to a significant portion of his fanbase. However, as the older the GS GBA titles get, so does his fanbase, and eventually I feel a lot of them are simply going to move on from character cheerleading and speculation.

The main consolation prize for Isaac fans is that I feel his chances are very strong for Project M. He ranked number 1 in the semi-official newcomer poll on this site, and quite a few Project M team members have expressed interest in him.
Yea Camelot got some stuff wrong with Dark Dawn that is for sure. It was a great game but failed to make an impact mainly due to how late it came and how it was not as amazing as it needed to revive the series.

It was a great game nonetheless and it it sold less than it should have. It was still really fun and engaging.

I can understand why Camelot is hesitant to make RPGs because the game they expected to sell blockbusters (like the originals) underperformed hugely. But that would be a disaster. Camelot used to make the Shining Force games for Sega which were some really good games. They did somewhat mess up with Dark Dawn but it could be rectified.

Nintendo didn't really help matters as it abandoned GS:DD and had not put Isaac in Brawl before DD, despite him having an even larger fanbase then he has now.

Shulk's inclusion is also strange if you look at it. He is the only newcomer in Smash so far who has made into Smash with a single game. Admittedly, Nintendo is taking Xenoblade to the helm as its flagship franchise but Shulk will have only starred in a single game. He will come in the 3DS version of XC but that is the same game as the one on Wii. It has been stated that XCX is a spiritual sequel to Xenoblade Chronicles and won't have Shulk (who CAN'T be there in Xenoblade Chronicles X due to the different storyline as well as the ending in the first game). He maybe being treated like the "Marth" of XC but even he had multiple games before he got in Smash.

We Isaac fans are now predominantly present in the West because Nintendo failed to give Golden Sun a proper exposure. The fanbase has decreased mainly because of the age of the games and the lacklustre 3rd game. Some of the less devout fans have given up on Golden Sun being revived by Nintendo and have moved onto other RPGs. This also includes Xenoblade. The VC releases however are helping some people discover the GS franchises and many are coming to love the game as well.

Isaac is the MOST popular character to be included as a newcomer if you consider 1st party games that have not had any representation in Smash so far. Metroid already has Samus and ZSS. Kirby features Meta Knight, DeDeDe and Kirby himself. The DK series has Diddy and Donkey Kong.

Sadly, Golden Sun has not been treated fairly so far. We had Isaac as an AT who has been dropped (we wanted this to be a hint towards playable Isaac, I still want it to be), GS has no trophies whereas even more obscure 1st party games, dead seriess as well as 3rd party franchises like Rayman have had more trophies. We only got one additional soundtrack in the Wii U version which was directly ripped from Dark Dawn.

A playable Isaac in Project M is nice but I want Nintendo to recognize the series itself. I have still not given hope up on playable Isaac though. Sakurai may have denied playable DLC but many characters probably still stand a chance. I will keep hoping for playable Isaac till all of the DLC has been released (whenever that happens). If not in Smash 4, there is always Smash 5.

Also a GS4. The number 4 hasn't been "lucky" for Golden Sun but hopefully that can change.

Golden Sun was one of the first JRPGs I played, and it really got me into JRPGs and also games. Without it, I might not have gone on to enjoy games like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasies, Xenoblade, and many others! I don't want it to be abandoned just because it failed to meet expectations once.

I want the Golden Sun to shine again.

P.S. Sorry for the essay.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Yes, there are three Nintendo franchises left at this point with a notable fanbase that still lack playable characters in Smash Bros.:
1. Rhythm Heaven
2. Golden Sun
3. Advance/Famicom Wars

The first one was probably going to get a playable character (Chorus Men), but they probably fell into the same trap as the Ice Climbers.

The other two (especially the last one) have grim prospects of ever getting a playable character. Advance Wars has been in hiatus for nearly seven years, while Camelot seems like they don't even want to make another RPG, let alone another Golden Sun. Hopefully, as I said, Project M adds playable characters for these two series.

Also, I did not know the new Golden Sun track was simply a direct rip from Dark Dawn, as opposed to a new remix. It truly seems as though the series has taken a slide backwards in terms of representation in Smash Bros.

To be fair, Isaac's situation is at least better than Ridley (whom Sakurai has flat out come out as a Too Bigot). However, Ridley and Isaac are both characters that have had significant fanbases for Smash Bros. since 2001, and it is impressive that they have lasted as long. Hopefully, Project M will do what Sakurai probably will never.

I don't want to upset Isaac fans, but after Smash 4, I feel Isaac no longer has any shot at getting in Smash Bros. A Golden Sun character in general might be a possibility if a Golden Sun 4 is made, but by the time Smash 5 likely enters development Golden Sun will be close to 20 years old, and much of the fanbase will finally have moved on.

Its a shame Golden Sun received only a negligible amount of content in Smash Bros. in proportion to the following it has, but Smash 4 may have been the last opportunity for significant content to be included if Dark Dawn really is the last installment to the series.

The biggest hope there is for a Golden Sun 4 is the fact that Camelot does not really have anywhere else they can go for their next project aside from another RPG. They have lost so many employees during the Wii/DS generation that their output massively decreased (which is why they only ended up making a single Wii game and a single DS game during that entire generation). Their prime two staples, Mario Tennis and Mario Golf, have already had their new installments released for the 3DS, and as mentioned earlier, they are too small at this point to probably make a Wii U title. Their future looks cloudy, but if they want to make one more project for the 3DS, the only other skill they have in their book aside from golf and tennis games, is RPGs.

In general though, things look dire for a lot Nintendo's C-list franchises, not just Golden Sun. As mentioned earlier, Famicom/Advance Wars has been in hiatus for nearly seven years. Custom Robo has been in hiatus for eight years, and like Golden Sun, lost its Assist Trophy in Smash Bros. (and there is a decent chance that there is absolutely no Custom Robo content at all in Smash 4, while even in Melee this series received content). Starfy, while it retained its Assist Trophy, has not had a new game in about seven years as well (last installment was released only a few months after Brawl's release). Panel de Pon's last installment was a stripped down port released on DSiWare released nearly six years ago too, and nearly eight years since the last proper installment (Planet Puzzle League in 2007).

This is especially disconcerting considering how many of Smash 4's newcomers came from franchises entirely new to the playable roster. Punch-Out, Animal Crossing, Wii Fit, Xenoblade, and Mii's all received playable characters with this installment. Rhythm Heaven likely was too (especially considering how popular this franchise is in Japan).

For Smash 5, I am uncertain with what the direction will be considering that aside from Rhythm Heaven all other unrepped Nintendo franchises are inactive, and from veteran franchises the only notable names left are guys from the Mario universe,(Toad and Paper Mario), the DK duo (K. Rool and Dixie Kong), and possibly Bandanna Dee (Ridley is a very notable name, though unfortunately Sakurai has a strong opinion on him being added). From a guest standpoint, there are no third-party characters left on the same caliber as Sonic, Snake, Mega Man, and Pac-Man are.

Smash 5 might continue further down the road that Smash 4 did, which is allocate most of its newcomers to characters that were prominent in the epoch between previous and current Smash Bros. titles, but with their fading home console business and the cloudy horizons for the portable market, such new characters may end up being obscure even to the casual to the Nintendo fan set.

I think for Smash 5 there will be a new paradigm shift for the series. Smash 4 possibly took the series as far as it could go in terms of being primarily newcomer driven. With Smash 5, I can only imagine what direction will be taken.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Even though I still don't think Golden Sun is "dead", I do agree that the franchise is not exactly in the best position currently, being dormant. I think the biggest chance there is of a GS4 outside of the reason you stated is if there is enough support for the franchise for Camelot to be willing to work on a GS4, like for example buying the VC re-releases of GS1+2 on Wii U. That aside, GS4 I believe, if it happens, will basically be the one that they will have to treat as their last one and go all out with a bang.

I don't know what will happen to the other C-list franchise such as Panel de Pon, though I do hope they can make a comeback at some point.

I absolutely agree with you regarding Smash 4 newcomers. I can see Smash 5 newcomers being consisted of post-Smash 4 characters from new franchises that gained a good amount of prominence and popularity around that period or from revived franchises that gains success in that period. For example, if things go well for Splatoon during the post-Smash 4 to pre-Smash 5 period, I can see them being the next Shulk. Also, in the hypothetical scenario where someone like Takamaru gets a successful revival during that period, his prospect and popularity in terms of Smash 5 requests would most likely look good.

I expect FE and Pokemon to naturally choose the most recently prominent characters for Smash 5, as usual. Nothing more needs to be said. I doubt FE will end up dormant due to the success of Awakening but, hey, who knows what will happen.

Regardless of the popularity of the Legend of Zelda franchise, I personally doubt we will ever get a newcomer character from that franchise that isn't an alt version of Link, Zelda and Ganondorf.

Overall, Smash 5 speculation would definitely be interesting. For now, the Wii U version is out and it's time to enjoy it (as soon as I can get a Wii U, I'm planning on getting Smash 4 Wii U).

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Yes, there are three Nintendo franchises left at this point with a notable fanbase that still lack playable characters in Smash Bros.:
1. Rhythm Heaven
2. Golden Sun
3. Advance/Famicom Wars

The first one was probably going to get a playable character (Chorus Men), but they probably fell into the same trap as the Ice Climbers.

The other two (especially the last one) have grim prospects of ever getting a playable character. Advance Wars has been in hiatus for nearly seven years, while Camelot seems like they don't even want to make another RPG, let alone another Golden Sun. Hopefully, as I said, Project M adds playable characters for these two series.

Also, I did not know the new Golden Sun track was simply a direct rip from Dark Dawn, as opposed to a new remix. It truly seems as though the series has taken a slide backwards in terms of representation in Smash Bros.

To be fair, Isaac's situation is at least better than Ridley (whom Sakurai has flat out come out as a Too Bigot). However, Ridley and Isaac are both characters that have had significant fanbases for Smash Bros. since 2001, and it is impressive that they have lasted as long. Hopefully, Project M will do what Sakurai probably will never.

I don't want to upset Isaac fans, but after Smash 4, I feel Isaac no longer has any shot at getting in Smash Bros. A Golden Sun character in general might be a possibility if a Golden Sun 4 is made, but by the time Smash 5 likely enters development Golden Sun will be close to 20 years old, and much of the fanbase will finally have moved on.

Its a shame Golden Sun received only a negligible amount of content in Smash Bros. in proportion to the following it has, but Smash 4 may have been the last opportunity for significant content to be included if Dark Dawn really is the last installment to the series.

The biggest hope there is for a Golden Sun 4 is the fact that Camelot does not really have anywhere else they can go for their next project aside from another RPG. They have lost so many employees during the Wii/DS generation that their output massively decreased (which is why they only ended up making a single Wii game and a single DS game during that entire generation). Their prime two staples, Mario Tennis and Mario Golf, have already had their new installments released for the 3DS, and as mentioned earlier, they are too small at this point to probably make a Wii U title. Their future looks cloudy, but if they want to make one more project for the 3DS, the only other skill they have in their book aside from golf and tennis games, is RPGs.

In general though, things look dire for a lot Nintendo's C-list franchises, not just Golden Sun. As mentioned earlier, Famicom/Advance Wars has been in hiatus for nearly seven years. Custom Robo has been in hiatus for eight years, and like Golden Sun, lost its Assist Trophy in Smash Bros. (and there is a decent chance that there is absolutely no Custom Robo content at all in Smash 4, while even in Melee this series received content). Starfy, while it retained its Assist Trophy, has not had a new game in about seven years as well (last installment was released only a few months after Brawl's release). Panel de Pon's last installment was a stripped down port released on DSiWare released nearly six years ago too, and nearly eight years since the last proper installment (Planet Puzzle League in 2007).

This is especially disconcerting considering how many of Smash 4's newcomers came from franchises entirely new to the playable roster. Punch-Out, Animal Crossing, Wii Fit, Xenoblade, and Mii's all received playable characters with this installment. Rhythm Heaven likely was too (especially considering how popular this franchise is in Japan).

For Smash 5, I am uncertain with what the direction will be considering that aside from Rhythm Heaven all other unrepped Nintendo franchises are inactive, and from veteran franchises the only notable names left are guys from the Mario universe,(Toad and Paper Mario), the DK duo (K. Rool and Dixie Kong), and possibly Bandanna Dee (Ridley is a very notable name, though unfortunately Sakurai has a strong opinion on him being added). From a guest standpoint, there are no third-party characters left on the same caliber as Sonic, Snake, Mega Man, and Pac-Man are.

Smash 5 might continue further down the road that Smash 4 did, which is allocate most of its newcomers to characters that were
prominent in the epoch between previous and current Smash Bros. titles, but with their fading home console business and the cloudy horizons for the portable market, such new characters may end up being obscure even to the casual to the Nintendo fan set.

I think for Smash 5 there will be a new paradigm shift for the series. Smash 4 possibly took the series as far as it could go in terms of being primarily newcomer driven. With Smash 5, I can only imagine what direction will be taken.
I can see where you are going with this.

Advance Wars has been "abandoned" in favour of Fire Emblem. It is what is responsible for helping to bring Fire Emblem overseas, but a game in Advance Wars hasn't come out since 6 years.

The last game Days of Ruin was not a part of the main series but a separate storyline altogether. It was a good game but it was the game where the steady releases of Advance Wars type games stopped from Nintendo. The game sold around 130k in North America so I guess it didn't sell huge.

Golden Sun we already discussed about.

Rhythm Heaven is a game that I have never played but I know about the huge following that the game has. They were probably not included due to the same limitations that the Ice Climbers faced.

I believe that in Smash 5 we will get newcomers for series that have developed by the time the game comes out like Splatoon, or someone from Xenoblade Chronicles X. Also Toad is possible since he is getting increased exposure. I also believe that some old characters could be added. I know that GS will become 20 years old and it would be unlikely to have a newcomer if it doesn't get now via DLC but then it would start entering the "retro" category. Or atleast be pretty old for Nintendo to reconsider older franchises.

But isn't it weird that some franchises have been completely excluded? Like Custom Robo with no content and GS with no trophy, but still with 2 soundtracks. Even much much more obscure franchises have gotten trophies or some other representation. Why have these ones been singled out?

Potential DLC?

Well while I wait, I guess I got to get a Wii U first since I need to play Smash on the big screen along MK8 and other amazing titles I have been missing. Plus games that are coming out next year.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Sure, there's plenty of characters to choose from.
Personally I wouldn't mind one of the bounty hunters from Metroid Prime Hunters.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
1. Rhythm Heaven
2. Golden Sun
3. Advance/Famicom Wars

As an aside, I really hope they have some Rhythm Heaven DLC. It's weird that there is not even music in the game for it.

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
At this point I think all the series that already have playable reps are fine, so I would like them to focus more on giving IP's without playable characters a go. That being said I don't know if any will get any since the only games in development from Nintendo that we know of are either already represented franchises (Zelda, Starfox, Xenoblade, Yoshi ect) or new IP's.

For reference these are the upcoming games that are published by Nintendo on Wii U,:
Captain Toad
Nes Remix Pack
Kirby and The Rainbow Curse
Mario Party 10
Mario Maker
Mario vs Donkey Kong WiiU
Yoshi's Wooly World
Xenoblade X
SMTXFE
Star Fox
Zelda U
Art Academy WiiU
Project Giant Robot
Project Guard
Splatoon
Devils Third (I'm not sure if Nintendo owns the IP or not).

And 3ds:
Ultimate NES Remix
Zelda Majoras Mask 3D
Xenoblade N3ds
Fossil Fighters Frontier
That Pikachu detective game
Codename S.T.E.A.M

So yeah... Maybe we can get a Fossil Fighter or an Art Academy rep.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
At this point I think all the series that already have playable reps are fine, so I would like them to focus more on giving IP's without playable characters a go. That being said I don't know if any will get any since the only games in development from Nintendo that we know of are either already represented franchises (Zelda, Starfox, Xenoblade, Yoshi ect) or new IP's.
Except Donkey Kong... :p

Also keep in mind "that we know of."

mymerlincat

Smash Cadet
What do you think the chances are of another Sonic character being put it in the series, surely they could do something good with Tails/Knuckles/Shadow/Blaze?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
What do you think the chances are of another Sonic character being put it in the series, surely they could do something good with Tails/Knuckles/Shadow/Blaze?
0-to-nil, and as a huge Sonic fan, I'd be EXTREMELY annoyed if another Sonic character was added. I love Sonic, I love Shadow, Tails, Knuckles, and even Blaze, and I don't want any other Sonic characters playable in Smash. I'd rather have lesser known Nintendo franchises represented instead, along with King K. Rool and Dixie Kong added to round out the DK cast.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
After Sonic Boom flopped? Zero chance.

Before Sonic Boom flopped? Zero chance.

I just don't think a second playable character's very likely from any 3rd party series.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Sure, there's plenty of characters to choose from.
Personally I wouldn't mind one of the bounty hunters from Metroid Prime Hunters.
See, this is the thing: whenever somebody brings up Ridley alternatives it's always these chuckle****s. They only showed up in one game that is just above Xenoblade in terms of the number of people that have actually played it.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
See, this is the thing: whenever somebody brings up Ridley alternatives it's always these chuckle****s. They only showed up in one game that is just above Xenoblade in terms of the number of people that have actually played it.
And if Xenoblade can still get a rep, I don't see why Hunters can't.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Xenoblade doesn't have anyone else, plus it's at least popular in Japan unlike Hunters.

I genuinely think Anthony is a more likely option than any of the Hunters.

Strofirko

Smash Master
The only xenoblade rep smash bros will get in the future,is from the upcoming game on wiiu.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Adam Malkovich
Fixed for accuracy.
I may be a big Sonic fan, but I agree with the pessimistic side on this one, even Optimus Prime is more likely than another Sonic character.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
1. Rhythm Heaven
2. Golden Sun
3. Advance/Famicom Wars

Smash 5 might continue further down the road that Smash 4 did, which is allocate most of its newcomers to characters that were prominent in the epoch between previous and current Smash Bros. titles, but with their fading home console business and the cloudy horizons for the portable market, such new characters may end up being obscure even to the casual to the Nintendo fan set.

I can see where you are going with this.

Advance Wars has been "abandoned" in favour of Fire Emblem. It is what is responsible for helping to bring Fire Emblem overseas, but a game in Advance Wars hasn't come out since 6 years.

The last game Days of Ruin was not a part of the main series but a separate storyline altogether. It was a good game but it was the game where the steady releases of Advance Wars type games stopped from Nintendo. The game sold around 130k in North America so I guess it didn't sell huge.

Golden Sun we already discussed about.

Rhythm Heaven is a game that I have never played but I know about the huge following that the game has. They were probably not included due to the same limitations that the Ice Climbers faced.

I believe that in Smash 5 we will get newcomers for series that have developed by the time the game comes out like Splatoon, or someone from Xenoblade Chronicles X. Also Toad is possible since he is getting increased exposure. I also believe that some old characters could be added. I know that GS will become 20 years old and it would be unlikely to have a newcomer if it doesn't get now via DLC but then it would start entering the "retro" category. Or atleast be pretty old for Nintendo to reconsider older franchises.

But isn't it weird that some franchises have been completely excluded? Like Custom Robo with no content and GS with no trophy, but still with 2 soundtracks. Even much much more obscure franchises have gotten trophies or some other representation. Why have these ones been singled out?

Potential DLC?

Well while I wait, I guess I got to get a Wii U first since I need to play Smash on the big screen along MK8 and other amazing titles I have been missing. Plus games that are coming out next year.
Smash bros Wii U/3DS currently has LESS Advance Wars content than brawl. Brawl had Andy, Sami, Max, Rachael, Jake, and Hawke as stickers as well as the infantry assist trophy. Now its just the infantry. Seriously all you need to do at the bare minimum is transfer Snake's E10 appropriate moves to Sami and then give her new E10 appropriate moves if needed. Sami for DLC. She is now my most wanted newcomer for DLC. Though I still need Wolf. WOLF FOR DLC :wolf:!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]

This is why Xenoblade can still gat a rep. On the other hand I doubt that we will ever see a return of Metroid Hunters. It could happen but I don't see it as likely.
That's not the only reason. Many people forget monoliths soft's past works, saga and gears. its amazing to think that people still say "why the hell is shulk in?" they should know monoliths soft's merits.... seriously. Sakurai knew.

For reference these are the upcoming games that are published by Nintendo on Wii U,:
Captain Toad
Nes Remix Pack
Kirby and The Rainbow Curse
Mario Party 10
Mario Maker
Mario vs Donkey Kong WiiU
Yoshi's Wooly World
Xenoblade X
SMTXFE
Star Fox
Zelda U
Art Academy WiiU
Project Giant Robot
Project Guard
Splatoon
Devils Third (I'm not sure if Nintendo owns the IP or not).

And 3ds:
Ultimate NES Remix
Zelda Majoras Mask 3D
Xenoblade N3ds
Fossil Fighters Frontier
That Pikachu detective game
Codename S.T.E.A.M

So yeah... Maybe we can get a Fossil Fighter or an Art Academy rep.
I laughed at this im sorry, I dont like to speculate as much anymore but saying new IP's will be the main focus of DLC is straight up blind guessing. I also think if DK were to get a character, it'd be only one. also I still highly doubt sakurai goes by the "rep" thing. He adds what he wants to add, plain and simple. However from your list, only starfox and zelda are plausible to get a character. I dont think (captain) toad or the inklings are happening until smash 5 (6) in my opinion. I personally think, IF they decide to it'll be about 5 max, and it'll be one of these characters. If they were to make DLC they'd have to pick easy characters to make, yet popular at the same time, I dont think they'd attempt to do someone like the inklings with their crazy moveset at this late stage.

King K. Rool/Dixie
Impa
Wolf/Krystal
Bandanna Dee
Isaac
Ice climbers (if they bother to fix the problem)
Some wtf character cause sakurai likes to dig deep (aka mach rider/sukapon or something)
A minor character that people are overlooking, Lip etc. etc.
Chorus Men (sigh pls no)

Off the top of my head, may have forgot some candidates.

I doubt lucas, but he's also possible, snake I dont know, if konami allows it. my 2cents imo. by the way not picking on you, mainly calling out this new IP trend, cause i've seen alot of Young link for DLC cause MM!, Sceptile cause OR/AS, captain toad/inklings cause new IP's. And some people think they got a legit shot, which might be the case if dlc was being made beforehand, but since it wasnt, I doubt they'd give these characters a chance atm, especially YL and sceptile, I mean why?

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Smash bros Wii U/3DS currently has LESS Advance Wars content than brawl. Brawl had Andy, Sami, Max, Rachael, Jake, and Hawke as stickers as well as the infantry assist trophy. Now its just the infantry. Seriously all you need to do at the bare minimum is transfer Snake's E10 appropriate moves to Sami and then give her new E10 appropriate moves if needed. Sami for DLC. She is now my most wanted newcomer for DLC. Though I still need Wolf. WOLF FOR DLC :wolf:!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, thing is, all stickers were cut, so it kinda makes sense.

I fail to see how Advance Wars has been "abandoned" and "in favor of" Fire Emblem. The two franchises coexisted for about 20 years (although the Wars games predate Fire Emblem by two years). Also, this past E3 Intelligent Systems actually stated they still had ideas for continuing both Advance Wars and Fire Emblem, so even then Advance Wars likely isn't dead, just currently dormant.

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
I doubt lucas, but he's also possible, snake I dont know, if konami allows it. my 2cents imo. by the way not picking on you, mainly calling out this new IP trend, cause i've seen alot of Young link for DLC cause MM!, Sceptile cause OR/AS, captain toad/inklings cause new IP's. And some people think they got a legit shot, which might be the case if dlc was being made beforehand, but since it wasnt, I doubt they'd give these characters a chance atm, especially YL and sceptile, I mean why?
I think you misinterpreted my post. I don't think that New Ip's are likely to get playable characters, my point was more I don't think that we will see characters from a franchise like "Golden Sun" or other franchises that Nintendo don't currently plan on continuing.

That being said I think the Inklings still could be on the table. I don't think I would call them likely, just possible.

Here is what I think helps their chance of being playable:
New Nintendo IP that is actually made at Nintendo EAD. (Smash tends to favour EAD games above others).

Reggie himself said that Nintendo want Splatoon to be Nintendo's answer to Shooters, to what Mario Kart is for Kart Racers.

It would be a great way to promote Splatoon.

So far Splatoon has been well recieved by Nintendo Fans/Gaming press.

Design wise they wouldn't look out of place in Smash. (It's not like we are putting in Bayonetta here).

Sakurai isn't agains putting things from unrealised games into Smash. (Roy, Yarn Yoshi stage)

Plenty of moveset potential.

Now the things against them:
Has no games that are out yet

DLC could have been decided on before characters were chosen

Nintendo may be worried about the backlash against them putting in characters without a game yet

Moveset would take a long time to program due to their uniqueness, you couldn't really make them a clone of another character.

And other stuff that I may think of.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I fail to see how Advance Wars has been "abandoned" and "in favor of" Fire Emblem. The two franchises coexisted for about 20 years (although the Wars games predate Fire Emblem by two years). Also, this past E3 Intelligent Systems actually stated they still had ideas for continuing both Advance Wars and Fire Emblem, so even then Advance Wars likely isn't dead, just currently dormant.
Have it your way!

I would actually like that :) I love Advance Wars, atleast about as much as Fire Emblem if not more. Although going by the logic of tons of people here: sequel to not that successful game not there in 4 years = series dead. It has been 6 years since Advance Wars. I obviously disagree with that notion as you very well know.

I actually liked Days of Ruin a lot so I would like to see something in that vein. CO powers were getting too overpowered anyway. I obviously liked the original Advance Wars as well though so all is fine with me!

I just want a GS4 and Advance Wars: Something Something Something. Preferably with reps from both series in Smash as DLC!

D

Deleted member

And if we talk about which of the SSB4 Assist Trophies would receive the Little Mac treatment in 5mash ?

My vote goes to Damus, Takamaru, and maybe Prince of Sablé.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom