• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Smash Lord
So was there ever a reason for Yoshi interrupting the Mario franchise? Was it just because they felt like it?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well there were parts of the Treehouse stream that I liked.

The pixel art hanging on the walls, for example.
..oh, regarding SSB.

I liked some of the matchups.
Pacman vs pacman-colored Kirby. Although it dragged on for a while, twas entertaining to watch.
Pit vs Palutena: Pretty entertaining as well. What I got from this is that Palutena's edgeguard = Goddess-like.

And the whole customization thingy that allows SO many variations.
Seriously, this has GOT to be a thing in tournaments somehow. Even if it's just for FINALS!

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Actually... I enjoyed the stream... >_>

It was nice just to get to see some gameplay with official commentary. In fact, my hype diminished considerably since seeing the streams the other night simply out of the sense of the game not having as much content (fast/easy unlocks, no event mode, etc). However, it was the the NoA stream that got my hype back up with all of the customizable content they showed.

I had no real investment in the customization til now. It had always been "ah, cool, custom stuff, whatevs", but I'm genuinely excited to create various builds of characters (Sparky and Peachbomber were my favs in the stream). I'm REALLY excited to go through the different modes hunting for custom parts, as well.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
:facepalm:You guys are silly if you think trophys disconfirm the cut characters as dlc. If anything they are more likely since they have a trophy proving their worth.
So, I'm assuming you're on the "bargaining" stage, now? :p

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
:facepalm:You guys are silly if you think trophys disconfirm the cut characters as dlc. If anything they are more likely since they have a trophy proving their worth.
So, I'm assuming you're on the "bargaining" stage, now? :p
I'm really in between both of you. I agree being a trophy doesn't mean that the character can't be re added via DLC, but that doesn't mean I think they will be added via DLC.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I'm really in between both of you. I agree being a trophy doesn't mean that the character can't be re added via DLC, but that doesn't mean I think they will be added via DLC.
Mine was a joke so... I just don't care who gets in and who doesn't. I'll be excited if it's someone I like, but it's not a huge deal if someone doesn't get in, but I am disappointed that the Ice Climbers didn't return since the have history and Wolf because he has a unique normal and smash set with a modified Special set.

Snake's an iffy character due to third-party status along with Metal Gear becoming a much darker series and Lucas suffers from the Mother/EarthBound main characters behaving similarly in combat. That being said, Lucas can be unique and Solid Snake isn't the demon Big Boss became.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Guys believe in the DLC! :drflip:

I'm glad people actually remember Pokémon Trainer. :,)

10 Characters (12 if we want to be technical) that have been cut...

I swear, Pokémon Trainer should be brought back, sporting movesets from the cut Pokémon (+ Charmander) somehow.
Popo having a SPECIAL that calls Nana temporarily (like RosaLuma)// attacking at the exact same time as Popo.
Mewtwo, Lucas, and Wolf are pretty self explanatory.

Last edited:

MunchyMunch

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MushroomMuncher
Man Sakurai is trying his best to hit us where it hurts. He is literally teasing us

I could understand them being Assists, but just a bloody trophy, that hurts man.

And having the Polar Bear as an enemy in Smash Bros, just pours salt on the wound.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I'm glad people actually remember Pokémon Trainer. :,)

10 Characters (12 if we want to be technical) that have been cut...

I swear, Pokémon Trainer should be brought back, sporting movesets from the cut Pokémon (+ Charmander) somehow.
Popo having a SPECIAL that calls Nana temporarily (like RosaLuma)// attacking at the exact same time as Popo.
Mewtwo, Lucas, and Wolf are pretty self explanatory.
I wish :pt: would return. But with the removal of transformations, I doubt he'll ever come back. Squirtle and Ivysaur would probably have to be their own this time. Which isn't a bad thing, but I really liked switching between the three.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I don't know if this was pointed out before, but when I was fooling with custom moves, when it asked me to "Select my player" Lucina was next to Shulk on the bottom row. I don't if that means anything, but I found it interesting that she can go down there.

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
I don't know if this was pointed out before, but when I was fooling with custom moves, when it asked me to "Select my player" Lucina was next to Shulk on the bottom row. I don't if that means anything, but I found it interesting that she can go down there.
Yeah, they put the clones down at the bottom instead of with their franchises.

MunchyMunch

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MushroomMuncher
Apparently, Ness stole Luca's ability for PK Thunder to go through enemies, since it's a custom move.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fox or Falco got a move where their side B went at a STUPID ANGLE THAT NEVER HITS ANYTHING WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT SAKURAI

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
No. I meant after all characters are unlocked. Lucina in the custom moves thing accidentally moved down next to Shulk with the 3rd parties. Next time, she was back with the clones. The CSS can still move.
Interesting. I wonder if the game has a few little bugs like that?

Also, just curious, did that day one patch take effect yet?

MunchyMunch

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MushroomMuncher
But they MUST be planning some DLC characters. The other Smash games besides Melee had a full rectangle shape, this one obviously has 6 slots left, (Just like Mario Kart) Melee used its empty spots as Random spaces, and This game already has an entire spot dedicated to randomizing characters.

EDIT:

Sal.
SAL.
SAAAAAAL!
SAAAAAAAAAAL!
SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLL ROMANOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Apparently, Ness stole Luca's ability for PK Thunder to go through enemies, since it's a custom move.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fox or Falco got a move where their side B went at a STUPID ANGLE THAT NEVER HITS ANYTHING WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT SAKURAI
Wolf Flash seems more like an anti-air approach, escape, and recovery move and it's obviously not going to work like Fox Illusion and Falco Phantasm. Personally, I like it even though it's a bit more situational.

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
Wolf Flash seems more like an anti-air approach, escape, and recovery move and it's obviously not going to work like Fox Illusion and Falco Phantasm. Personally, I like it even though it's a bit more situational.
I mean, that's part of why it sucks to lose Wolf. He has fairly unique.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
But they MUST be planning some DLC characters. The other Smash games besides Melee had a full rectangle shape, this one obviously has 6 slots left, (Just like Mario Kart) Melee used its empty spots as Random spaces, and This game already has an entire spot dedicated to randomizing characters.

EDIT:

Sal.
SAL.
SAAAAAAL!
SAAAAAAAAAAL!

Whale whale. The plot thickens.

Also the current CSS has room for 4 characters, not 6.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465

EDIT:

Sal.
SAL.
SAAAAAAL!
SAAAAAAAAAAL!

!?!?!?!?! WHAT??? o.O
....ok, I have no words.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Have we seen a Ridley trophy yet?
No, but there will inevitably be one revealed soon.

Honestly, there's not gonna be any DLC. We'll just have to accept what we got. You may say that's bad marketing, but they literally revealed Pac-Man behind closed doors via liveblog. And they know everyone's gonna buy the Wii U version anyway.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Something just feels off though. I think that with Yoshi being where he is, and the fact Lucina moves down by accident in custom mode, makes me think there were multiple characters that went unfinished. But that's just me.

MunchyMunch

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MushroomMuncher
No, but there will inevitably be one revealed soon.

Honestly, there's not gonna be any DLC. We'll just have to accept what we got. You may say that's bad marketing, but they literally revealed Pac-Man behind closed doors via liveblog. And they know everyone's gonna buy the Wii U version anyway.
But I can't wait another 7 years.

A lot of things seem rushed. Such as half the stages being past ones, all the weird roster choices, RAYMAN appearing for no reason. It seems Sakurai was planning more for this game. There's gotta be an ace somewhere up that sleeve.

Loungemen

Smash Journeyman
No Dixie
No KRool
No Chorus Men
No Ice Climbers
No Wolf
No Mewtwo
Dr. Mario
Dark Pit

I'm starting to question Sakurai's mindset, here

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

The list is dwindling.

Bandana Dee and Ridley are still not shown as Trophies.

Dixie Deconfirmed

KRool Deconfirmed

MewTwo Deconfirmed

Ice Climbers, Wolf, Pichu all deconfirmed.

Lucas is unknown.

Chorus Kids Deconfirmed

Bandana Dee and Ridley and Isaac will happen.

MunchyMunch

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MushroomMuncher
No Dixie
No KRool
No Chorus Men
No Ice Climbers
No Wolf
No Mewtwo
Dark Pit

I'm starting to question Sakurai's mindset, here
Sakurai is Master Hand.

He pushes those ones over to the side, and then paints one of his Pit figures black. Then he gets Dr. Mario out the bin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom