• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ebFQbwUlIhc
Her recovery KO'd fox at like 40%, her smash attacks appear to be no longer escapable (HUGE BUFF) and more. Take a look.
Wow, bill trinen really is good with zelda. I barely ever play zelda so I guess I'm just bad as her. And I played all characters on wii u and only didn't play luigi on 3ds, and any questions would be appreciated, I'm bored cause I forgot my 3ds at home ;_;

Last edited:

Niala

Smash Ace
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ebFQbwUlIhc
Her recovery KO'd fox at like 40%, her smash attacks appear to be no longer escapable (HUGE BUFF) and more. Take a look.
Whoever's doing the commentary seems to think everything Zelda is capable of is new even though it was all present in her Brawl moveset.

That being said, holy crap that UpB KO'd so low. I'm pretty shocked.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
A lot of character arguments here lately; unequal representation, possible bias, and merit on character choices. I think it's obvious that we've come to the point where we should seriously consider overhauling the entire roster and start from scratch! Here's my proposed roster:
  1. Ridley
  2. Meta Ridley
  3. Omega Ridley
  4. Ridley-X
  5. Roidley
  6. Dr. Ridley
  7. Zero Suit Ridley
  8. Dark Ridley
  9. Captain Ridley
  10. Jiggly-Ridley
  11. Ridley Kong
  12. Fox
All franchises equally represented, no inherit bias present, and Nintendo's history is adequately showcased. I think this is the step in the right direction. What do y'all think?

Did you try Zelda? I've been hearing depressing things about her...
obligatory pink gold ridley joke

From what I heard, Zelda and Fox both got nerfed pretty badly. I can understand nerfing Fox, as he has been at least decent in every Smash game so far, but nerfing Zelda is ridiculous.

Can anyone check if the Villager is any good? I've seen people say that he's god-tier and others say that he's absolute trash.

Also, Kirby and Donkey Kong being top-tier is just fantastic.

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Whoever's doing the commentary seems to think everything Zelda is capable of is new even though it was all present in her Brawl moveset.

That being said, holy crap that UpB KO'd so low. I'm pretty shocked.
I know, Zelda's recovery buff is INSANE and I love it.

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
obligatory pink gold ridley joke

From what I heard, Zelda and Fox both got nerfed pretty badly. I can understand nerfing Fox, as he has been at least decent in every Smash game so far, but nerfing Zelda is ridiculous.

Can anyone check if the Villager is any good? I've seen people say that he's god-tier and others say that he's absolute trash.

Also, Kirby and Donkey Kong being top-tier is just fantastic.
Villager is a good character, he's the new ledge guard champion, but you gotta use pocket and camp to be successful, and donkey kong is good, but not top tier , the best are zero suit, Kirby, pit, and greninja, greninja probably cause he fits my playstyle perfectly and won all the matches I used him in. And mario has a lot of combo potential and great follow ups , so I expect him to be high tier.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Yeah, I think Villager's Lloid Rocket will become one of the best projectiles. Not only is it strong, but the amount of options to follow up are crazy.

First, you can ride the rocket which gives Villager some armor. Also, the attack becomes stronger.

Or

As I've found out from experience, the rocket can be chased causing some extreme pressure. What you do there depends on the situation.

I'm really hoping to see him or her as a new top tier threat. I'm getting sick of Falco and Marth.

Last edited:

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
Yeah, I think Villager's Lloid Rocket will become one of the best projectiles. Not only is it strong, but the amount of options to follow up are crazy.

First, you can ride the rocket which gives Villager some armor. Also, the attack becomes stronger.

Or

As I've found out from experience, the rocket can be chased causing some extreme pressure. What you do there depends on the situation.

I'm really hoping to see him or her as a new top tier threat. I'm getting sick of Falco and Marth.
Lloid rocket also destroys oncoming projectiles, which helped when I had something pocketed.

Zynux

Smash Lord
@ Zynux Zynux zelda is pretty bad. She's weaker, attacks have less knock back, slow, and no follow ups as far as I've seen. She's still bad unfortunately.
That's what I keep hearing...

Did you ever see the video of her vs Fox? 1v1 no items. It really shows off some of her new buffs.
I remember seeing a gif where she kills Fox at 40(ish?) %. But otherwise no I haven't seen it.

I hope most are getting the wrong impression from the demo and she turns out to be good, since Zelda being so terrible in every Smash game is just depressing.

EDIT: Oh, didn't see your post above me. I watched it...and yeah, she does seem to atleast have some noticeable buffs..., or at least in a matchup against Fox.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Random thought of the moment:

Rather than getting Sakurai to care for Ridley, the Ridley fans should get Japan to care for him.
Sakurai cares for the Japanese, and if they care for Ridley, ta-da!

Zynux

Smash Lord
Nah.

The majority of the Smash consumer-base is in the west. Besides, Japan hasn't cared for Metroid since it's inception so very little is going to change that now. Hell, even Other M, which it's obvious attempts to cater to Japanese audiences failed miserably.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero

Rather than getting Sakurai to care for Ridley, the Ridley fans should get Japan to care for him.
When it comes to "wildly" popular characters for western and eastern audiences, let's look at the tally

Western: :4megaman::rosalina::4littlemac::4pacman: (:4shulk:)
Eastern: :4megaman::4greninja::4palutena::4robinm:/:4robinf::4lucina::4shulk:

I mean... Sakurai's never explicitly looked at sheer fan support for newcomers. But both have gotten a fair amount of both.

In fact, Little Mac is a very unique case because Punch-Out is EONS more popular and known in the west. In a manner of speaking, he's our :marthmelee: or :lucas:.

?????????????

Smash Master

Nah.

The majority of the Smash consumer-base is in the west. Besides, Japan hasn't cared for Metroid since it's inception so very little is going to change that now. Hell, even Other M, which it's obvious attempts to cater to Japanese audiences failed miserably.
Yeah. That doesn't matter too much when you consider that Little Mac had very little Japanese support. Lots of Japanese fans were surprised or even shocked that Mac made the game.

Ridley has even more support than Mac did in both the East and the West...one of the reasons I think he's quite plausible, given that Mac is in.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
In fact, Little Mac is a very unique case because Punch-Out is EONS more popular and known in the west. In a manner of speaking, he's our :marthmelee: or :lucas:.
And if we do actually get Duck Hunt (very likely), that's an even bigger one than Mac considering it's obscure everywhere but America, where it's a big hit.
Though I'm in Europe so...he's obscure for me too, except I actually did play it as a kid lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Do you really think they cut so many unique characters? I mean, 4 totally unique characters and 2 slight semi-clones. That's quite a bit.
Ivysaur's pretty cut for sure, and Snake's really iffy. Squirtle and Lucas have slightly more than a snowball's chance in Nofair, and Wolf and Ice Climbers could be late game unlocks.

Also, imagine if DHD wasn't actually on the roster, and the leaker put him on there to mess with us.

Last edited by a moderator:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
And if we do actually get Duck Hunt (very likely), that's an even bigger one than Mac considering it's obscure everywhere but America, where it's a big hit.
Japan:

"What is this dog? Why does he have a duck? Is this even from a game?"

"Oh, I remember that game, the one with the gun controller. Why is Sakurai adding such obscure characters?"

"That's the old NES game that was popular in America, first some tiny boxer and now this, does Sakurai want to be American?"

"Why is there some mutt and a duck? Are we just adding random things that aren't even from games now?"

"Duck Hunt! I remember playing that as a kid! I never would have expected such a character, Sakurai is truly surprising!"

"Duck Hunt? I guess that's fine, but what happened to Ice Climber? Did they not fix the technical problems?"

"If the dog is hunting the ducks, why are they helping him fight? Hunting doesn't belong in Smash Brothers.."

At least going by their reactions to Mac, anyway.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I honestly don't see why so many people think we're getting more characters. I mean, it's possible we get more characters, but it's not probable. This is probably the complete roster (not counting DLC)
1. While saying the roster looks ugly certainly isn't ironclad proof, why not simply use an 10x5 grid if we're only getting 48 characters + Miis in the final roster? Rosters don't have to be perfectly even but there's no reason to assume Sakurai doesn't pay attention to details like this. Unless its some build where the CSS is different for some reason, it looks fishy to me.

2. Why would Shulk be after the clones in the CSS when there's enough room on the fifth row for one more character? The only reason I can think of is to keep the 6th row symmetrical but that goes back to my first point. The odd positions of Shulk and the clones make me believe we have at least 2 more characters and the clones will move to the 6th row next to the 3rd parties when the 5th row gets too big for them while Shulk moves to the end of the 5th row.

3. Wouldn't Sakurai leave more of the newcomers already revealed hidden rather than give us only 4 unlockable newcomers (assuming Lucina is unlockable according to that Japanese E-shop picture), 2 of which are clones? Besides, Smash 3DS would have 2 less unlockables than both Brawl and Melee. I just don't see Sakurai putting less effort into hidden newcomers than he did with Brawl.

Its impossible to say either way, but there are many reasons to not consider this being the final roster "probable".

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Duck hunt dog is a way to get a bango-kazooie like character to be playable imo.
I'm failing to see how people are making the comparison to Banjo, other than the duck possibly flying the dog around like Kazooie.

I'd hardly think the duck will be shooting various egg projectiles, carrying the dog on its back, ramming things with its beak, etc.

D

Deleted member

On a side note, time estimates on DLC releases?
I'd expect the first one to be some time within the first 6 months, since the coding for first dlc candidates will be already be partly complete when smash bros comes out (Veterans that got cut for this game)

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
About damn time Nintendo's mascot was decent. He hasn't been good since Smash Bros. 64.
I completely agree, and I got 5 short hop fast fall up airs in a row on Kirby, and then did an up tilt into forward air on pilot wings and got the spike kill, by far the best moment of the day for me.

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I completely agree, and I got 5 short hop fast fall up airs in a row on Kirby, and then did an up tilt into forward air on pilot wings and got the spike kill, by far the best moment of the day for me.
What is it that makes him so much better? Is he just same old Mario but stronger/faster?

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
What is it that makes him so much better? Is he just same old Mario but stronger/faster?
Faster, stronger, better grab range, less landing lag than anyone else, when he misses a grab it is harder to punish, his forward air doesn't just spike anymore, but it's a lot weaker when you don't get the spike, up air has less knockback and a lot of hit stun, so it's easier to follow up, and his throws all have follow ups too.

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
Is just me or :4zss: looks like she's way too good?

also i'm happy to see some of :4zelda:'s attack buffed and i'm really looking forward on trying :4wiifit:
Zero suit and pit are the best characters in the game, wii fit trainer is pretty good too, zelda doesn't seem too great though.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
I really wish Palutena was in the demo. I really want to know her playstyle, since i would really like to be good with her lol
Edit: Just realized I used the word 'really' way too many times in one post.

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Well in comparison to :4zelda: in Brawl, she looks pretty good (it looks like her recovery and her :GCB::GCR: do more damage)
Her recovery does WAY more damage, and dins fire (her side b) sweet spots, it's really powerful now. However, the sour-spot is weak so that sucks. Just have to practice sweet spotting it, I guess.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Her recovery does WAY more damage, and dins fire (her side b) sweet spots, it's really powerful now. However, the sour-spot is weak so that sucks. Just have to practice sweet spotting it, I guess.
Yeah also it looks like the explotion is not a big as it used to be either :S but still i'm pretty sure that with some practice it will be as easy to hit as in the other games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom