• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
The problem with representing Wario Land is that it doesn't have a lot of moveset potential. Wario's moveset consists of the Shoulder Bash, grappling enemies and the butt slam. There are power ups of course, but they're not movesets per se. (And considering HOW you get those power ups in the games how do they work in Smash?)

Same thing with Warioware. Basically you have to be creative with Wario. Do you go to a Brawler style for the Wario Land flavor, or a quirky and bizarre style for the Warioware flavor? Wario Land is my favorite series but I endorse Sakurai's decision to go with the latter. Brawl Wario is really distinct and colorful from the rest of the cast, and he easily stands out. A very well designed fighter that brought us a really unique defensive aerial playstyle that allows you to punish aerials with aerials (holy crap you could do that?? Only with Wario!). PM Wario is really neutral and bland in comparison by making him more grounded and straight forward imo. Doesn't help that the Shoulder Bash is basically your whole gameplan in PM. One of the best things about Brawl Wario is how all his moves have great synergy with each other, and you have to utilize each and every one (except dsmash) at the right time to get the best of the character. He has clear advantages and disadvantages that makes him a lot of fun to play as.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
How do you mean?

His Dash attack, side special, and final smash are his normal pizza self eating away (alongside his stage-entrance animation), alongside the Pac-Maze stage

His Down Special summons the fire hydrant from Pac Land, a 2D game which also has a stage.

His neutral special chucks some of the fruit eaten in original pacman and cycles up into very iconic part of Namo's old games.

His recovery is just Mappy Land trampolines.

His smash attacks ad one of his taunts are the ghosts in their arcade version. Presumably they are also an assist trophy, based on a scene from his trailer.

The only 3D part of Pac-man I saw in this game is his model.
I don't know what you're getting at. I meant that he doesn't have any moves or whatever from the Pac-Man World games except for the flip kick but that could just be a coincidence.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
New topic.

What's that near Samus on the ground?

@ MagnesD3 MagnesD3 we didnt get proof on Falco, just newcomers and stuff.
As of right now this is our official roster unless sakurai shows us that there are more characters (which I doubt) then many franchises get screwed.

The problem with representing Wario Land is that it doesn't have a lot of moveset potential. Wario's moveset consists of the Shoulder Bash, grappling enemies and the butt slam. There are power ups of course, but they're not movesets per se. (And considering HOW you get those power ups in the games how do they work in Smash?)

Same thing with Warioware. Basically you have to be creative with Wario. Do you go to a Brawler style for the Wario Land flavor, or a quirky and bizarre style for the Warioware flavor? Wario Land is my favorite series but I endorse Sakurai's decision to go with the latter. Brawl Wario is really distinct and colorful from the rest of the cast, and he easily stands out. A very well designed fighter that brought us a really unique defensive aerial playstyle that allows you to punish aerials with aerials (holy crap you could do that?? Only with Wario!). PM Wario is really neutral and bland in comparison by making him more grounded and straight forward imo. Doesn't help that the Shoulder Bash is basically your whole gameplan in PM. One of the best things about Brawl Wario is how all his moves have great synergy with each other, and you have to utilize each and every one (except dsmash) at the right time to get the best of the character. He has clear advantages and disadvantages that makes him a lot of fun to play as.
Pm wario is a ton of fun, I thought they did fantastic. And I thought it was a great om-age to the Wario Land titles.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Forgot to mention that Brawl Wario actually has a lot of little subtle and neat references to his games. His double jump animation shows how much thought was put into his moveset.

Fun fact: He has more moves taken from Wario World (Bite, Corkscrew, FThrow, FSmash, DThrow, FThrow, Jab combo) than he does from Warioware. (DTilt, Bike, Waft...possibly Bite instead.)

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
Krystal was deconfirmed, if wolf is gone then there is no need for Krystal anyways. Dixie < K rool, Ridley is likely, and dark samus is deconfirmed too.
How are Krystal and Wolf deconfirmed? Dixie is more likely than K. Rool, And I just posted this on Ridley.
New topic.

What's that near Samus on the ground?

@ MagnesD3 MagnesD3 we didnt get proof on Falco, just newcomers and stuff.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion

I agree for the most part. Brawl Wario just feels great. He really flows well. I just wish Wario Land would at least get a mention, or music.

If given the chance, I'd change his running animation, make his dash attack his...dash attack, the Wario World headbutt his side smash, his throws the wild moves from Wario World, and work the ground pound in there somewhere.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
How do you mean?

His Dash attack, side special, and final smash are his normal pizza self eating away (alongside his stage-entrance animation), alongside the Pac-Maze stage

His Down Special summons the fire hydrant from Pac Land, a 2D game which also has a stage.

His neutral special chucks some of the fruit eaten in original pacman and cycles up into very iconic part of Namo's old games.

His recovery is just Mappy Land trampolines.

His smash attacks ad one of his taunts are the ghosts in their arcade version. Presumably they are also an assist trophy, based on a scene from his trailer.

The only 3D part of Pac-man I saw in this game is his model.
I believe he's talking about the three Pac-Man World games (we don't talk about the Ghostly Adventures). They were both decent platformers and they had various new moves for Pac-Man, such as a "Butt Bounce", "Rev Roll", and a "Pac-Dot Shoot".

How are Krystal and Wolf deconfirmed? Dixie is more likely than K. Rool, And I just posted this on Ridley.
I think people are getting the idea of Krystal being deconfirmed from this:

It has no mention of her being playable, which IIRC, most trophies of playable characters usually do.

Last edited:

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
I believe he's talking about the three Pac-Man World games (we don't talk about the Ghostly Adventures). They were both decent platformers and they had various new moves for Pac-Man, such as a "Butt Bounce", "Rev Roll", and a "Pac-Dot Shoot".

I think people are getting the idea of Krystal being deconfirmed from this:

It has no mention of her being playable, which IIRC, most trophies of playable characters usually do.
Couldn't find the pic, thanks for posting :)

Burruni

Smash Hero
I don't know what you're getting at. I meant that he doesn't have any moves or whatever from the Pac-Man World games except for the flip kick but that could just be a coincidence.
You said "They also act like Pac-Man never existed in a 3D game before where he had attacks that they could take inspiration from. Megaman gets all his classic attacks and abilities while Pac-Man throws fruit and ghosts at people." I cited where his moves were being drawn from in his 2D incarnation of the original arcade games and Pac Land as well as that his neutral and up B's represent many Namco games because I misunderstood you as saying that they weren't drawing from what was best known from him. If you said "They also didn't draw moves from Pac-Man World." I would've drawn back because I misunderstood, but I argue that the big difference is that comparing 2D to 3D PacMan games (most 3D games were not nearly as well recieved) is like saying "Why doesn't classic Megaman represent Megaman X moves?" He wasn't designed with this in mind. Pac-Man's here are the forefather of gaming with also tying in a lot of Namco in general.

I'm sorry for misunderstanding.

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
While I could see Impa being a clone, there's no need for her to be, and it surprises me to see people thinking she would definitely be one.

On the other hand, anyone who thinks Dixie would have to be a Diddy clone must have never played a single game she's in. As Diddy is right now, it would not make sense for her to be a clone of him.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Pm wario is a ton of fun, I thought they did fantastic. And I thought it was a great om-age to the Wario Land titles.
PM Wario is the same as Brawl Wario, though. The difference is in the playstyle.

He's not bad in PM by any means, I just think he isn't anything special. As mentioned, I feel they neutered his playstyle by trying to nerf his defense and balance his ground option which made him a more balanced character (in terms of his own moveset), except that the Shoulder Bash makes up his whole gameplan.

I agree for the most part. Brawl Wario just feels great. He really flows well. I just wish Wario Land would at least get a mention, or music.

If given the chance, I'd change his running animation, make his dash attack his...dash attack, the Wario World headbutt his side smash, his throws the wild moves from Wario World, and work the ground pound in there somewhere.
I actually want the shoulder bash to be his dash attack as well, but the problem is Wario, imo, shouldn't have a good ground approach. I like it as his FSmash, even if it doesn't do it justice as it is one of his best and most fun moves to use. Similarly for the throws in a sense that one of his clear disadvantage is that he has few KO moves (although really strong ones). His throw is designed for follow ups mostly. Unless you're talking purely in animations in which case I agree, his BThrow and UThrow are really underwhelming. Actually don't mind his running animation, but I barely see it since I'm always in the air with him lol.

What I really want though, is a Wario Land stage. That's all I ask. Shame Captain Syrup doesn't have a chance, always thought she could have a moveset based on spawning enemies/goons and using them to your advantage since that's a major element of the series. She'd basically have a playstyle all around Dedede's side B, but more realized and intuitive.

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
So I played smash at pax, does anyone want to hear anything about a certain character? I'd be happy to tell since I'm bored waiting for my plane :(

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
Wolf was said to be cut, and Krystal is a trophy along with tharja and other possibly "inappropriate" trophies were leaked.
Oh...really? Ok, but Wolf is not backed up. There are probably 5 more people, and they could be Wolf, Dixie, Lucas, Impa, and BD.
@ Gre ninja'd Gre ninja'd the shadow near Samus. Ridley on Pyrosphere? Suspicious?

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
You said "They also act like Pac-Man never existed in a 3D game before where he had attacks that they could take inspiration from. Megaman gets all his classic attacks and abilities while Pac-Man throws fruit and ghosts at people." I cited where his moves were being drawn from in his 2D incarnation of the original arcade games and Pac Land as well as that his neutral and up B's represent many Namco games because I misunderstood you as saying that they weren't drawing from what was best known from him. If you said "They also didn't draw moves from Pac-Man World." I would've drawn back because I misunderstood, but I argue that the big difference is that comparing 2D to 3D PacMan games (most 3D games were not nearly as well recieved) is like saying "Why doesn't classic Megaman represent Megaman X moves?" He wasn't designed with this in mind. Pac-Man's here are the forefather of gaming with also tying in a lot of Namco in general.

I'm sorry for misunderstanding.
The reason Megaman doesn't have Megaman X moves is because the Megaman in Smash Bros. isn't X, it's classic Megaman. The Pac-Man that we see in Smash Bros. looks exactly the same as the Pac-Man from Pac-Man World, so it would make plenty of sense for him to have moves from that game. It would be better for Pac-Man to use the pellet smash from Pac-Man World as a smash attack instead of throwing Clyde as one. That's like if Mario threw out an 8-bit Bowser as a smash attack.

Last edited:

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
Oh...really? Ok, but Wolf is not backed up. There are probably 5 more people, and they could be Wolf, Dixie, Lucas, Impa, and BD.
@ Gre ninja'd Gre ninja'd the shadow near Samus. Ridley on Pyrosphere? Suspicious?
I didn't see the shadow, and if you say wolf is back, then ice climbers are back also. I pray to based god soccer eye that we don't get Dixie and Impa, and that we get Ridley, k rool, and mewtwo. The shadows are the platforms shadows.

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
I didn't see the shadow, and if you say wolf is back, then ice climbers are back also. I pray to based god soccer eye that we don't get Dixie and Impa, and that we get Ridley, k rool, and mewtwo.
You've said how much you hate Dixie and Impa 3+ times in the past hour. We get it.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
There's no proof about five more characters, the lock on all star mode was leaked by other leaker, not the one thet leaked the entire roster, if I remember well.

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
Obviously. And I'd rather have hype 3 - K Rool + Dixie and Impa.
We all have our own opinions, and we're allowed to state them, and I'd prefer you to respect others opinions than say ok we get it, and then continue the topic, so I get that you want Impa and Dixie, and I respect that, and I hope you respect my opinions as well.
@ NickerBocker NickerBocker link lost his dacus, his projectiles are slower and less powerful, his ground game is EXTREMELY better than before, his up b has a lot more distance, his dash attack killed pikachu at 80%, but is easy to overshoot. I say that makes him much better, and tilts are easy to follow up, and z air is just as good. And fast arrow falling is gone also.

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
That....that is just sin. Evil. Diabolical.
I think it's fantastic.
We all have our own opinions, and we're allowed to state them, and I'd prefer you to respect others opinions than say ok we get it, and then continue the topic, so I get that you want Impa and Dixie, and I respect that, and I hope you respect my opinions as well.
When did I disrespect you? I was just pointing out that you have said that you hate Impa and Dixie a lot today.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
@ NickerBocker NickerBocker link lost his dacus, his projectiles are slower and less powerful, his ground game is EXTREMELY better than before, his up b has a lot more distance, his dash attack killed pikachu at 80%, but is easy to overshoot. I say that makes him much better, and tilts are easy to follow up, and z air is just as good. And fast arrow falling is gone also.
So hes a little more like melee Link but his close range game is better? Thats good to know. I guess the big thing is did they buff his attack/launch power? or did they just speed him up in general? Because I feel like it should be one or the other or a little of both

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
Yes!!!!!!! Cut Mewtwo and add Sceptile with Impa and Dixie! Who really thinks we won't get any of those?
I think Impa and Dixie are a possibility, but sceptile is never going to be playable, or at least that's what I think. As much as I want him, it seems like mewtwo is returning, and they wouldn't cut jigglypuff, so I think that we won't get anymore after that. @ NickerBocker NickerBocker his launch power is less on the first slash of his f smash and more on the second, his down smash has less knockback, he moves faster and most physical attacks are buffed.

Last edited:

ZecaOMestre

Smash Apprentice
I honestly don't see why so many peop,e think we're getting more characters. I mean, it's possible we get more characters, but it's not probable. This is probably the complete roster (not counting DLC)

Zynux

Smash Lord
A lot of character arguments here lately; unequal representation, possible bias, and merit on character choices. I think it's obvious that we've come to the point where we should seriously consider overhauling the entire roster and start from scratch! Here's my proposed roster:
  1. Ridley
  2. Meta Ridley
  3. Omega Ridley
  4. Ridley-X
  5. Roidley
  6. Dr. Ridley
  7. Zero Suit Ridley
  8. Dark Ridley
  9. Captain Ridley
  10. Jiggly-Ridley
  11. Ridley Kong
  12. Fox
All franchises equally represented, no inherit bias present, and Nintendo's history is adequately showcased. I think this is the step in the right direction. What do y'all think?

Did you try Zelda? I've been hearing depressing things about her...

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
I honestly don't see why so many peop,e think we're getting more characters. I mean, it's possible we get more characters, but it's not probable. This is probably the complete roster (not counting DLC)
It can't be the complete roster, sakurai said after the game he'd think about dlc, and when customizations are on, the mii fighters take the random slot, but why take the random slot if you have that much space? I wouldn't get that design choice. @ Zynux Zynux zelda is pretty bad. She's weaker, attacks have less knock back, slow, and no follow ups as far as I've seen. She's still bad unfortunately.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom