• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Here's why the Metal logic is a bunch of hokum;
The logic applies to mirror matches. Might as well not allow people to play as the same character since they'll just get confused on who they are if both are Metal.
Ah, that is indeed a good point. I've never encountered that issue so I overlooked it.
I honestly thought only one metal box can spawn at a time. But I haven't played with items in forever so I can't remember.

The only time more than one character can be metal I think is when you do it in the "special" match section.
Same, I have no idea.

Last edited:

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
Given that I recall seeing more than one image of a metallic Captain Falcon and I cannot for the life of me recall seeing a Metal Box confirmed in this game, it's entirely possible it's no longer an item to be contended with anyways.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Given that I recall seeing more than one image of a metallic Captain Falcon and I cannot for the life of me recall seeing a Metal Box confirmed in this game, it's entirely possible it's no longer an item to be contended with anyways.
It is, I remember seeing a pic on the 3DS Animal Crossing stage. I believe Yoshi was metal.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
We haven't seen the Fan.

I'm not bothered by it, though.

Though it's a classic item.

I still never used it.

I just threw it off the stage. Or threw it at people.

Anyone miss how in Melee you'd sometimes get a character pop out of a crate or party ball or something, like a Goomba or ReDead? I hope they bring that back.

Last edited:

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Anyone miss how in Melee you'd sometimes get a character pop out of a crate or party ball or something, like a Goomba or ReDead? I hope they bring that back.
Well as far as i know that only happened in adventure mode, if you play normal multiplayer, even if you have all the items on, that doesn't happen

here a picture with Yoshi and the metal box: (DS version)

I found the image with Metal Yoshi:

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Well as far as i know that only happened in adventure mode, if you play normal multiplayer, even if you have all the items on, that doesn't happen
Nope it happens in Vs. Mode. Enemies from Adventure mode sometimes pop up in Vs. Mode. It's pretty dang rare though.

I still maintain that if Game & Watch was going to be playable as a returning veteran, they would have revealed him in the Pac-Man trailer.
Lol sass.

Last edited:

sandslash

Smash Apprentice
I think game and watch will be an unlockable character because i dont think he would have shown him otherwise.

Morbi

Scavenger
Nope it happens in Vs. Mode. Enemies from Adventure mode sometimes pop up in Vs. Mode. It's pretty dang rare though.

Lol sass.
Sass? More like "crux" that refutes that perspective back and forth. However, allow me to counter my own perspective with fabulous logic that is not confirmation bias in the slightest... "b-bu Mrs. Gam or Witch is r teh vet!"

Perhaps it is a little bit of sass. :troll:

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Sass? More like "crux" that refutes that perspective back and forth. However, allow me to counter my own perspective with fabulous logic that is not confirmation bias in the slightest... "b-bu Mrs. Gam or Witch is r teh vet!"

Perhaps it is a little bit of sass. :troll:
I guess I thought I found something that wasn't there. Silly me.

I would say that Mrs. Gam or Witch is r teh vet, though. We haven't seen a newcomer's body or booty or part of their body or booty prior to their reveal pre-release from Brawl forward.

@ Morbi Morbi Did you happen to get that reasoning from me, perhaps? Or did you think of it yourself? :beezo::beezo::beezo::beezo::beezo::beezo::beezo::beezo::beezo::beezo::beezo:

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I think Mr. G&W will retain his "secret character" status so that's why he wasn't officially revealed. Also, I think it's possible that Toon Link will be a starter character this time.

Morbi

Scavenger
I think Mr. G&W will retain his "secret character" status so that's why he wasn't officially revealed. Also, I think it's possible that Toon Link will be a starter character this time.
In that event, I suppose it is safe to assert that Dark Pit would, more likely than not, be a secret character as well! Unless he treated them differently for some arbitrary reason, of course. :4pit:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
In that event, I suppose it is safe to assert that Dark Pit would, more likely than not, be a secret character as well! Unless he treated them differently for some arbitrary reason, of course. :4pit:
In that case we'd assume Tom Nook was a secret character. The difference between Mr. Game & Watch and Dark Pit is one has a reoccurring role in Super Smash Bros. Mr. Game & Watch, to this date, has always been a secret character unlike Dark Pit or Tom Nook. Therefore, it's safer to speculate that Mr. Game & Watch will once again, be a secret character.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Still, why show him for Pac-Man's trailer then never again?

Morbi

Scavenger
In that case we'd assume Tom Nook was a secret character. The difference between Mr. Game & Watch and Dark Pit is one has a reoccurring role in Super Smash Bros. Mr. Game & Watch, to this date, has always been a secret character unlike Dark Pit or Tom Nook. Therefore, it's safer to speculate that Mr. Game & Watch will once again, be a secret character.
I was mostly joking; however, that was certainly a decent point, it is fair to presume that Game & Watch will return to a similar role as there is feasible precedent that dictates such. The portion of your post that bothers me is the Tom Nook aspect. As... forgive me if I am incorrect, there were no observable implications with Tom Nook whereas it is quite overt that there are implications regarding Dark Pit.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I still maintain that if Game & Watch was going to be playable as a returning veteran, they would have revealed him in the Pac-Man trailer.
That's not even close to the same thing. Sakurai apparently even said he wasn't ready to reveal G&W at the time.

We're talking a veteran and a newcomer. Dark Pit, should he have his own slot, would have made about as much sense as revealing Lucina in Robin's trailer. If he wasn't revealed then, why would they devote ANOTHER trailer to a prospect already visited with Lucina? Why didn't he make Dark Pit the guy to reveal for that when he already had the perfect chance to do it?

It's not the same thing. At all. I don't see why people think he's so likely in the first place. Especially when Sakurai said,

“With the Wii Fit Trainers, the male and female Robins, the Villagers, and Little Mac, varying their appearances and voices works just like selecting alternate color variations. However, whenever there is even a small difference in abilities, that character gets an actual roster slot. That is why you can select Lucina individually.”

So for example, having a different voice means nothing in Dark Pit's favor at all. Pittoo is also capable of pretty much everything Pit is. Not that Lucina isn't, but nothing about that quote directly makes him more likely in my opinion. I think people are overreacting.

I never even said that there's no way he could get in either. He very well could. I said it because I don't think it would happen.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
woah wut tom nook whered he come from
I was mostly joking; however, that was certainly a decent point, it is fair to presume that Game & Watch will return to a similar role as there is feasible precedent that dictates such. The portion of your post that bothers me is the Tom Nook aspect. As... forgive me if I am incorrect, there were no observable implications with Tom Nook whereas it is quite overt that there are implications regarding Dark Pit.
Like Dark Pit, Tom Nook appeared in Villager's trailer. Villager drops the invitation and Tom Nook glances over with a curious face. Some people thought that this was hinting towards his playability.
means nothing when he appears in villagers fs mayne
Villager's Final Smash wasn't revealed until a while after the E3 trailer. Also, after seeing Isabelle as an assist trophy instead of Tom Nook. Many thought that this speculated theory could possibly be true.

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Like Dark Pit, Tom Nook appeared in Villager's trailer. Villager drops the invitation and Tom Nook glances over with a curious face. Some people thought that this was hinting towards his playability.

Villager's Final Smash wasn't revealed until a while after the E3 trailer. Also, after seeing Isabelle as an assist trophy instead of Tom Nook. Many thought that this speculated theory could possibly be true.
lol i didn't

well i guess all the pokemon in the greninja trailer are all likely despite most confirmed being pokeball pokemon
i guess doc louis is likely
i guess chrom is likely
i guess mario kart mario is likely too

I kid-ish

mark welford

Smash Ace
we always talk about newcomers but what about veterans? who is you guy most wanted veteran to return? if you are wondering who is my most wanted veteran I always talk about he is the most vicious space animal he is wolf!

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
we always talk about newcomers but what about veterans? who is you guy most wanted veteran to return? if you are wondering who is my most wanted veteran I always talk about he is the most vicious space animal he is wolf!
wolf is my main man, not my main, but my main man
what a cool character
he feels good
he plays well
did u c that side smash
woah dude dat range doe
yeh he cool
he better come back
hopefully

Morbi

Scavenger
That's not even close to the same thing. Sakurai apparently even said he wasn't ready to reveal G&W at the time.

We're talking a veteran and a newcomer. Dark Pit, should he have his own slot, would have made about as much sense as revealing Lucina in Robin's trailer. If he wasn't revealed then, why would they devote ANOTHER trailer to a prospect already visited with Lucina? Why didn't he make Dark Pit the guy to reveal for that when he already had the perfect chance to do it?

It's not the same thing. At all. I don't see why people think he's so likely in the first place. Especially when Sakurai said,

“With the Wii Fit Trainers, the male and female Robins, the Villagers, and Little Mac, varying their appearances and voices works just like selecting alternate color variations. However, whenever there is even a small difference in abilities, that character gets an actual roster slot. That is why you can select Lucina individually.”

So for example, having a different voice means nothing in Dark Pit's favor at all. Pittoo is also capable of pretty much everything Pit is. Not that Lucina isn't, but nothing about that quote directly makes him more likely in my opinion. I think people are overreacting.

I never even said that there's no way he could get in either. He very well could. I said it because I don't think it would happen.
It is most certainly "close" to the same thing. An allusion to a character at the end of the trailer? You seriously fail to see the correlation? Perhaps he was not ready to reveal Dark Pit either?

The difference is negligible unless you have objective proof that discerns why their "status" is relevant. The cliff-hanger might be an apt reason why he decided to devote ANOTHER trailer to a prospect already visited with Lucina. Because he was not ready, same as Game & Watch. :troll:

The quote does not make him directly more likely or less likely as it supports both sides. I am giving you the benefit of the doubt despite Sakurai's overt "HOWEVER."

If he could make it in, he will: Murphy's Law. :troll:

Do not worry, we all have our subjective opinions.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
He has a really high chance now, but G&W.

He's my main actually so I want him. (tough, it will change if Paper Mario is confirmed that's for sure).

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Too many come to mind. Probably Mewtwo, Falco, Wolf or Roy (who won't happen)

mark welford

Smash Ace
wolf is my main man, not my main, but my main man
what a cool character
he feels good
he plays well
did u c that side smash
woah dude dat range doe
yeh he cool
he better come back
hopefully
no doubt about he plays like a very different character I want him now more than ever I did not think about playing as him until recently and I enjoyed playing as him he is a very fun character to play as

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
lol i didn't
You might not have, but you're also not the only person speculating Smash.

well i guess all the pokemon in the greninja trailer are all likely despite most confirmed being pokeball pokemon
People speculated them to appear as PokéBall Pokémon, not playable characters.
i guess chrom is likely
Chrom was revealed, in the same trailer, to be part of Robin's Final Smash.
i guess doc louis is likely
i guess mario kart mario is likely too
I never saw anyone speculate Doc Louis or Mario Kart Mario as playable characters.
I kid-ish
I'm just saying what I've witnessed.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

Did they now?! I suppose I find them to be about as delusional as everyone finds me at the current time. Reading into those trailer hints! It will never yield anything, or so they say, we shall see.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
You might not have, but you're also not the only person speculating Smash.

People speculated them to appear as PokéBall Pokémon, not playable characters.

Chrom was revealed, in the same trailer, to be part of Robin's Final Smash.

I never saw anyone speculate Doc Louis or Mario Kart Mario as playable characters.

I'm just saying what I've witnessed.
Haha I was joking around, I never thought for a second Mario Kart Mario was speculated at all. You're right on all those points though.

Damn Internet sucks аss at translating humor.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It is most certainly "close" to the same thing. An allusion to a character at the end of the trailer? You seriously fail to see the correlation? Perhaps he was not ready to reveal Dark Pit either?

The difference is negligible unless you have objective proof that discerns why their "status" is relevant. The cliff-hanger might be an apt reason why he decided to devote ANOTHER trailer to a prospect already visited with Lucina. Because he was not ready, same as Game & Watch. :troll:

The quote does not make him directly more likely or less likely as it supports both sides. I am giving you the benefit of the doubt despite Sakurai's overt "HOWEVER."

If he could make it in, he will: Murphy's Law. :troll:

Do not worry, we all have our subjective opinions.
I suppose my issue with Dark Pit "not being ready" is that...he would be getting in under the conditions that he would be a clone. Which would likely mean he would be easy to at least model and prepare for footage.

But eh, whatever. I still don't think he'll have his own spot. He COULD, but my confusion stems from him not being revealed at that point. If you're going to hint at a newcomer like that, it seems to me that it would make more sense to just get the reveal out of the way.

Morbi

Scavenger
I suppose my issue with Dark Pit "not being ready" is that...he would be getting in under the conditions that he would be a clone. Which would likely mean he would be easy to at least model and prepare for footage.

But eh, whatever. I still don't think he'll have his own spot. He COULD, but my confusion stems from him not being revealed at that point. If you're going to hint at a newcomer like that, it seems to me that it would make more sense to just get the reveal out of the way.
I am inclined to admit that that is indeed correct, I was not thinking that one through. :awesome:

I feel the same way about Ridley, regardless of his role, it seems as though Sakurai should have just revealed his role or not mentioned him at all rather than introduce this ambiguity to incite discussion. Albeit, no one wants to discuss poor Dark Pit as most people have already made up their minds on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom