• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

.....So now Mewtwo and Jigglypuff are hinted not to return merely because they didn't show up in the Charizard/Greninja trailer?
Shulk "being teased" was not just fans jumping the gun?
Random generic stage for Star Fox = Falco?

You're not just grasping at straws, mate. You're ripping them apart.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Pretty sure nearly everyone was expecting Dixie Kong because of Tropical Freeze, while Little Mac caught everyone off guard.

You want an example of how ridiculous this sounds coming from someone else?

I now speculate that King K. Rool will be revealed in November, after the 3DS version of Smash has already come out, because all three of the original DKC games were released in November. I also predict Ridley will be revealed at the same time because I randomly picked Metroid Prime out of all the Metroid games, and it happened to have been released in November in the US.
It'd be harder to reveal a newcomer based on a newer game that came out than on a particular anniversary. It's even harder to do than revealing a returning vet via potd to coincide with the release of the game. Also, Metroid and DK are much bigger franchises than F-Zero, who's total library of games can be counted with one hand. You can't just "pick a date" when it comes to anniversary dates for F-Zero.

Unless, of course, you're just trolling everyone nonstop by being a contrarian.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
.....So now Mewtwo and Jigglypuff are hinted not to return merely because they didn't show up in the Charizard/Greninja trailer?
Shulk "being teased" was not just fans jumping the gun?
Random generic stage for Star Fox = Falco?

You're not just grasping at straws, mate. You're ripping them apart.
Mewtwo and Jigglypuff's absence, if anything, suggests that they are in the game and that they'd be revealed at another time.
Shulk was teased not just by the fans, but was started by the very people that made his game!
And I mentioned a very specific detail--the two Arwings (given the stage was empty, it could also be read as an entrance animation) could--mind you, could--possibly hint towards Falco's return. All three of them, I acknowledged I not adequate evidence, with Falco in particular being quite a bit of a stretch.

You would do well to actually quote the comment itself and read it carefully.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
like all of the little mac thread saw that he had an anniversary sand thought it was him. alos the points you are making have nothing supporting them seeing as thats after 3ds smash is released. many people and smash fans use anniversarys seeing as many characters have been revealed at their anniversarys. you think all of those were concidences?
Give me the exact games of which these anniversaries come from. Because I just looked it up, and neither the first Fire Emblem, nor Awakening were anywhere near being an anniversary mark for the Robin/Lucina reveal. Why would they pick a random FE game that has nothing to do with either of the characters revealed? And again for Falcon, F-Zero X is neither the first or last game, it doesn't hold any particular relevance for an anniversary. When they celebrated the 25th anniversary of Zelda, they celebrated the franchise as a whole, they didn't randomly decide to pick Link's Awakening and call that the anniversary date. Rosalina wasn't revealed on her anniversary, Super Mario Galaxy was released before the month of December, when we she was revealed as a character. Do you think they would dig up the anniversary of some random Mario game and decide to reveal a character that has nothing to do with said game on it? It doesn't matter if the entire Little Mac thread saw an anniversary and just so happened to be right about his reveal, that's as ridiculous as everyone jumping over the newly revealed Assault stage and thinking it has anything to do with Krystal.
It'd be harder to reveal a newcomer based on a newer game that came out than on a particular anniversary. It's even harder to do than revealing a returning vet via potd to coincide with the release of the game. Also, Metroid and DK are much bigger franchises than F-Zero, who's total library of games can be counted with one hand. You can't just "pick a date" when it comes to anniversary dates for F-Zero.

Unless, of course, you're just trolling everyone nonstop by being a contrarian.
It is just picking a random game to call the anniversary. What significance does F-Zero X hold over any other F-Zero game with which they could have used to reveal Falcon on an "anniversary?" Would it not be better to reveal him on the anniversary of his first appearance?

domokl

Smash Lord
i will say this right now though. pretty much everybody jumped the gun because of one little retweet. people can say little macs director tweeted at his reveal but little macs director said afterwards that he didnt evwen know if little mac was going to be revealed.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
When is Mario Maker supposed to come out anyways? And on top of that, why Lucina and Mr. Game & Watch if their involvement in Smash was merely coincidental to the segment itself? Why were the only bubbles of characters that, at the very least, appeared or will appear in some capacity in Sm4sh? And on top of that, why is 8-Bit Mario currently the only non-playable character in Smash 4 who hasn't been disconfirmed as of yet? And it's not just Mario in his 8-Bit form, either; Mario in his 3D model is there as well!

I may be grasping straws, but I am not about to disregard this, especially since, again, you put it in the same context as ROB and Mr. Game & Watch, it makes a ton of sense that he'd be playable. Sakurai is rather coy in his hinting of characters; so far, Shulk, Mewtwo, Jigglypuff, ROB, Falco and Wolf are the only characters so far not to have been hinted at all. And guess what? The Pokémon trailer showed Mewtwo and Jigglypuff completely absent; Monolith Soft practically gave Shulk away the weekend before the Fire Emblem trailer took everyone by surprise; and if you want to count the Arwings in last night's potd, it can arguably be regarded that as a coy hint towards Falco's return. If you wish to apply all of these little details, it pretty much means that ROB and Wolf are the only characters not to have any hints pointing in either direction.

You can call it straw-grasping; but it shouldn't be so easily dismissed because it's hard to imagine his inclusion.
Mario Maker is 2015.

Who said Lucina and Game and Watch were coincidental? But if you're going by that logic, why was Isabelle listed?

And this ISN'T the same as ROB and Wolf. ROB and Wolf are entirely new characters. 8-Bit Mario would do literally nothing different from Mario. HELL, Mario's up Special is already his Jump Punch from Super Mario Bros. :p

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
sakurai even changed greninjas model while he was charging water shruiken to look like mewtwo. no flipper no webbing bigger hands,
He is also upside down to distort the image of our brains recognition of proportions even further.
Plus- HE IS IN A CAVE, for absolutely no reason.
Major trolling. Major.
Mewtwo probably doesn't even have Shadow Ball anymore.

The trolling for this game is making pregnant gamers go into labor early!

domokl

Smash Lord
Give me the exact games of which these anniversaries come from. Because I just looked it up, and neither the first Fire Emblem, nor Awakening were anywhere near being an anniversary mark for the Robin/Lucina reveal. Why would they pick a random FE game that has nothing to do with either of the characters revealed? And again for Falcon, F-Zero X is neither the first or last game, it doesn't hold any particular relevance for an anniversary. When they celebrated the 25th anniversary of Zelda, they celebrated the franchise as a whole, they didn't randomly decide to pick Link's Awakening and call that the anniversary date. Rosalina wasn't revealed on her anniversary, Super Mario Galaxy was released before the month of December, when we she was revealed as a character. Do you think they would dig up the anniversary of some random Mario game and decide to reveal a character that has nothing to do with said game on it? It doesn't matter if the entire Little Mac thread saw an anniversary and just so happened to be right about his reveal, that's as ridiculous as everyone jumping over the newly revealed Assault stage and thinking it has anything to do with Krystal.

It is just picking a random game to call the anniversary. What significance does F-Zero X hold over any other F-Zero game with which they could have used to reveal Falcon on an "anniversary?" Would it not be better to reveal him on the anniversary of his first appearance?
why does it matter what game? its still fire emblem and fzero why does it have to be that game? also on your other point on some characters not getting revealed by anniversarys i never said all characters where revealed on anniversarys. its obviously wasnt riduclous to think seeing as they were right about his reveal.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Mario represents everything 8-Bit Mario does, because they're the exact same character, them looking graphically doesn't change anything. Also making an 8-bit Mario punch and kick would be and look incredibly awkward. I don't see how they can make him interesting moveset wise either and it's not like he's a character people want. There are better historical characters and there are better Mario characters.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
8-Bit Mario is the worst idea I've ever heard since Dr. Mario. Dr. Mario is a more compelling character than 8-Bit Mario. And frankly, at that rate I think we're more liable to get Paper Mario (not that I want Paper Mario, either).

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
why does it matter what game? its still fire emblem and fzero why does it have to be that game? also on your other point on some characters not getting revealed by anniversarys i never said all characters where revealed on anniversarys. its obviously wasnt riduclous to think seeing as they were right about his reveal.
Because Fire Emblem games (almost) always have different protagonists, one game will be associated with a certain character.

Robin and Lucina are from Awakening, and they don't have anything to do with any other Fire Emblem games. Unless you try to argue that Lucina, parading as Marth, has some sort of connection to the first Fire Emblem game due to this, you'd still be wrong about the anniversary because the first game was not released in July. Neither was the remake, Shadow Dragon.

Look at it like this: Bob and Tom are brothers, Tom's birthday is in June and Bob's is in March. Why would Bob celebrate his birthday on Tom's birthday? Because they come from the same mother? In this same vain, neither Robin or Lucina have any reason to be associated with the anniversary of another random Fire Emblem game.

domokl

Smash Lord
fire emblem tharica and fire emblem mystery of the emblem both released on july 15. boom.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
sakurai even changed greninjas model while he was charging water shruiken to look like mewtwo. no flipper no webbing bigger hands,
But the shadow lacked distinctive features of Mewtwo's design like the tail and ball fingers.

I'm surprised the fact that it was upside down DIDN'T raise a few alarms. Or the ninja hand sign. Or the water shuriken which looks nothing like a move Mewtwo ever did.

Why the shadow then? He's a ninja. It doesn't require much thought to figure out that Sakurai was simply going with that theme.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
You know, the only part of the Mario series that hasn't been properly represented are the RPGs. As such, I believe that in the unlikely scenario that we get another Mario rep, it'll fall to either this nonclone:

Or another candidate for a villains trailer.

Oh God yes. This would be so cool. And I don't think 8-Bit Mario will happen. I think it will either be Dr. Mario due to his veteran status or Paper Mario as a possible way to represent the well deserved RPG side of Mario.

domokl

Smash Lord
Because Fire Emblem games (almost) always have different protagonists, one game will be associated with a certain character.

Robin and Lucina are from Awakening, and they don't have anything to do with any other Fire Emblem games. Unless you try to argue that Lucina, parading as Marth, has some sort of connection to the first Fire Emblem game due to this, you'd still be wrong about the anniversary because the first game was not released in July. Neither was the remake, Shadow Dragon.

Look at it like this: Bob and Tom are brothers, Tom's birthday is in June and Bob's is in March. Why would Bob celebrate his birthday on Tom's birthday? Because they come from the same mother? In this same vain, neither Robin or Lucina have any reason to be associated with the anniversary of another random Fire Emblem game.
there still fire emblem characters when it boils down to it. also you are dodging my question of why sakurai would concidentally reveal an f zero rep and two fire emblem characters on two anniversarys for fire emblem and an anniversary for f zero

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
fire emblem tharica and fire emblem mystery of the emblem both released on july 15. boom.
Neither of which have anything to do with Robin or Lucina.

Besides, they were revealed on the 14th.

...Wait.

Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem
Super Famicom
  • January 21, 1994
Virtual Console
  • December 26, 2006 (Wii)
  • April 27, 2013 (Wii U)
Fire Emblem: Thracia 776
  • September 1, 1999
How the hell do any of those dates equal July 15th?

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

...Wait.

Super Famicom
  • January 21, 1994
Virtual Console
  • April 27, 2013 (Wii U)
  • September 1, 1999
Actually, its the remake of Monsho no Nazo for DS released on July 15th and the the Virtual Console release of Thracia 776 (very questionable).

domokl

Smash Lord

...Wait.

Super Famicom
  • January 21, 1994
Virtual Console
  • April 27, 2013 (Wii U)
  • September 1, 1999
thraciga was rereleased on the virtual console on july 15.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Actually, its the remake of Monsho no Nazo for DS released on July 15th and the the Virtual Console release of Thracia 776 (very questionable).
In any case, now he's just pulling excuses out of his arse.
there still fire emblem characters when it boils down to it. also you are dodging my question of why sakurai would concidentally reveal an f zero rep and two fire emblem characters on two anniversarys for fire emblem and an anniversary for f zero
Because it's just that. A coincidence two random games apparently share a date.
thraciga was rereleased on the virtual console on july 15.
And even at that, it's not even the actual release, but the virtual console release. This is straw grasping.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Mewtwo and Jigglypuff's absence, if anything, suggests that they are in the game and that they'd be revealed at another time.
It suggests absolutely nothing on whether they are in the game or not.

Shulk was teased not just by the fans, but was started by the very people that made his game!
I didn't say just the fans were involved.
I said that they jumped the gun.

Yuichiro Takeda isn't one of Xenoblade's developers; he's a writer. He re-tweeted the news about the Newcomer Trailer because it was big news he felt like sharing.
Reportedly, many of the people at Monolith Soft do that whenever there is Nintendo news coming up, even when it's nothing to do with them.
Fans assumed it meant Shulk was going to be revealed that day and ran with it. But know this; Takeda never implied Shulk was to be revealed.

And I mentioned a very specific detail--the two Arwings (given the stage was empty, it could also be read as an entrance animation) could--mind you, could--possibly hint towards Falco's return. All three of them, I acknowledged I not adequate evidence, with Falco in particular being quite a bit of a stretch.
1. One of the Arwings is clearly too high and too far ahead to be part of a stage entrance.
2. Those Arwings are in Assault design; Fox and Falco come out of Arwings that are styled after 64. (Fox is still shown to do so)
3. Falco hops out of an upside-down Arwing. Both of those Arwings are flying normal.

In conclusion, those Arwings are part of the stage. Just like in previous Great Fox related stages.

You would do well to actually quote the comment itself and read it carefully.
Doesn't matter; you were still wrong.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
There are only twelve months in a year, how many franchises have anniversaries that coincide with a handful of these different months if we are to take all of their games into account, particularly with different releases?
If we add in the number of times anniversaries have NOT been the deciding factor (which cannot be overlooked, because only using days which potentially coincide to prove a point and blatantly overlooking the times it would be disproven allows your point no merit) what does this say?

In regards to marketing, I'm sure Sakurai had the ebb and flow of whom he wanted to reveal decided based on his game, what would help Super Smash brothers sell, what would garnish the most hype for it, what would shock customers and die hard fans the most, when it made the most sense to strike with a super trolling move. Coinciding with anniversaries of other games, unless to earn our trust in early predictability, does not affect him. He wants to earn fans, and give us what we were not expecting- it has nothing to do with anniversaries.

Last edited:

domokl

Smash Lord
In any case, now he's just pulling excuses out of his arse.

Because it's just that. A coincidence two random games apparently share a date.

And even at that, it's not even the actual release, but the virtual console release. This is straw grasping.
oh come on!i mixed up new mystery of the emblem and mystery of the emblem. also i think you thinking those annversarys that line up perfectly is a straw grasp in itself.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Well this conversation is going nowhere, particularly when one person seemingly doesn't grasp the concept of grasping at straws.

It's becoming nothing more than back and forth spat, best to just drop it before someone gets testy.

If you can't see what I'm saying, then there's nothing I can do. Maybe someone who's good at explaining things will do better.

Is it some form of irony that there are still Fire Emblem debates?

Subject change, let's go back to the proposition of a reveal at Comic Con. Veteran? Newcomer? Both? Nothing?

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I'm hoping for Lucas, or Meta Knight & Bandanna Dee or all three. But i'm still sceptical about it.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
All right. Here is, what I would consider, the best case scenario for a Roster.
The locked icon would be Shovel Knight.
Of course I do not expect this. I just would yearn for it.

Last edited:

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Mario Maker is 2015.

Who said Lucina and Game and Watch were coincidental? But if you're going by that logic, why was Isabelle listed?
You missed the part where I said "wasn't already disconfirmed." And given that Smash 4 is going to be the first game to use amiibo figures, again, the advertisement is a red flag.

And this ISN'T the same as ROB and Wolf. ROB and Wolf are entirely new characters. 8-Bit Mario would do literally nothing different from Mario. HELL, Mario's up Special is already his Jump Punch from Super Mario Bros. :p
Considering that 8-Bit Mario would literally be an 8-bit sprite, I doubt he'd function anything like Mario. Yes, he'd have the fire ball, a couple skins (fire flower, Luigi, and Jumpman), and the up and down taunts. But beyond that, he could strictly model his moves off of his arcade games like Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong as well as Super Mario Bros. itself. Instead of jumping when you hit up, he could swim in the air while the up special would be a jump attack that'd do damage on impact. He could use his hammer to jab and a side smash (they are not the same thing as the items). He could dig up random Mario-related items with his down special, or throw turtle shells with his side. His Dair would have him pulling down the flag, but sped up a little faster for damage. His Final Smash could be Duck Hunt, and I reckon you can piece together where I'm getting at. Heck, if one wants to get real technical, you could have 8-Bit Mario represent Nintendo's earliest days in a similar vein to Pac-Man representing Namco's earliest days as a whole.

Just because you consider the prospects idiotic doesn't mean it can't or won't happen. If Sakurai wants to, he'll do it. It takes a great imagination to cook up an original moveset for an 8-Bit Mario, and Sakurai is more than capable.

PS: Mario never performed a Jump Punch--or punched in general--in Super Mario Bros.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Alright. The model I have may be incomplete, but I'll do my best:

Jab: Hammer
Side Smash: Hammer Slam
Down Smash: Short Stomp
Up Smash: Brick Break

Side Tilt: ???
Down Tilt: ???
Up Tilt: Coin Launch

Nair: ???
Fair: ???
Bair: ???
Dair: Goal Flag
Uair: Coin Launch

Neutral Special: Fireball > Fast Fireball > Big Fireball
Side Special: Green Shell > Red Shell > Blue Shell
Down Special: Mushroom > Fire Flower > Invincibility
Up Special: Jump > Hi Jump > Max Jump

Final Smash: Duck Hunt

It's a work-in-progress, but if enough people actually want to join in, I'll be glad to contact a moderator to create a thread for the character.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Here is my prediction roster, and yes its a bit big but I kinda feel the roster will be bigger than expected thanks to namcos help.
(probably not this big though.)

Automatic 0/10 for Bayonetta

...okay maybe that was a little harsh. In all seriousness

- I have doubts that Snake would return to the roster, but I'll welcome him back if it happens

- Bayonetta? Ugh, no. She doesn't even deserve to be playable right now. Or ever. I'd take Crash Bandicoot over her

- Since you mentioned Gyromite is for retro character, I'm all down for Takamaru or Mach Rider

- Not sure we're gonna get a sixth Mario and Zelda character. Perhaps add Isaac and another wtf character instead? If we were to get a sixth, it may be Vaati and Jr

8.9/10

Subject change, let's go back to the proposition of a reveal at Comic Con. Veteran? Newcomer? Both? Nothing?
I'm hoping for one of the Mother boys, but I'm not expecting anything. Who knows? Maybe Sakurai will surprise us like he did with Robin and Lucina (I actually predicted we would get something outside of the leak, as I was letting my hope down for that one :p )

...can someone please tell me why we need another Mario clone? There are far better, historical characters that are worthy than an 8-bit Mario

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I find it ridiculous when people try to claim a character has no viable move set, or has nothing to offer, or could not work.

Obviously, that is incorrect. Anyone can work, can be given a move set, and has something to offer. We are shown this time and time again, and any individuals lack of ingenuity should not be a mark on the creative efforts of Sakurai.
Please let us leave that argument in the discard of 'Too big' and 'Not a fighter.'

D

Deleted member

Alright.

A Chicken McNugget can work as a character.
You can't claim a simple piece of questionable meat can't be given a viable moveset.
You can't claim the fast food snack doesn't have anything to offer.
You can't claim jack ****.

Because Sakurai can make it work, dammit! -manly tears of pride-

And if you disagree, then you just lack ingenuity, pathetic scrub.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I find it ridiculous when people try to claim a character has no viable move set, or has nothing to offer, or could not work.

Obviously, that is incorrect. Anyone can work, can be given a move set, and has something to offer. We are shown this time and time again, and any individuals lack of ingenuity should not be a mark on the creative efforts of Sakurai.
Please let us leave that argument in the discard of 'Too big' and 'Not a fighter.'
Sakurai's statement regarding Chrom's exclusion says hi.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Anything can work yes, provided said character has enough source material to warrent a unique style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom