• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Tier List v7

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Oh, no other characters..... Ok, you're right. :)

#PickyEater

Edit: Actually, I just re-read your post and noticed all the "non" inserts that I somehow missed before. :facepalm:

9? Its less then that. Yes, maybe 9 if you count the characters that have one godlike player (ex.salem with ZSS). But theres maybe 5 characters that have more than one top level player for them.
There's more than 5, lolz. All of Top Tier probably has more than one relevant top player, except for Pika.

I agree with you for the most part; feel is important yes (though I genuinely think that Link has a mediocre moveset that should have been fixed ages ago) but Sakurai should have followed some of the most basic rules of game balance (which he adhered to in Melee), even if it meant sacrificing fun-ness.
Actually, I don't know if you read any of the articles regarding interviews of Sakurai about Brawl, but he directly stated that he really didn't want to make the game competitive, a stance he didn't hold when he created SSB 64 and Melee (in fact, there are many clues that he intentionally made these games quite competitive and technical). He literally said that he didn't want the 'more skilled player' to be the one necessarily winning most of the time. Thus he added more randomizing elements (tripping, etc.) that would drastically alter the outcomes of matches. As such, I'm guessing he didn't really care much about balance.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Over an hour it's been.

And trust me, a good Zelda knows how to land sweetspots consistently.
Lolz, you're saying this to Fuujin..... :p

Zelda can't handle trades, but at least she and puff can make them. Ganon will likely just get outsped on whatever he is trying to bring out and get nothing out of it.
Lolz, why are you trading with Zelda? Zelda 'walls' people at mid-range because they try to be aggro impromptu. Just don't approach if you don't have to, and/or you can just throw up your shield if you feel even slightly threatened. What's Zelda gonna do? Grab you? :smirk:

Btw, you act like Ganon doesn't have some quick moves of his own. He can net his own trades with Gerudo Choke, Wizard's Foot, DA, Uair, Bair, and other moves I haven't listed. Being MUCH heavier, he can also afford to make more trades. On top of that, he can give some nasty damage and KB off of good reads with moves like dair, fair, and fsmash. Fsmash even makes a somewhat decent 'out-spacing tool'. Stutter fsmash, and the rearing back of the smash itself, lets him dodge moves and punish them with power. If you ask me, Ganon's 'fundamentals' are actually stronger than Zelda's.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
If Zelda could land sweetspots consistently (Marth tipper consistently) she would be at least mid tier.
The best she can to is to learn which attacks have enough lag to punish them (like ROB's Dsmash on shield, or somewhere between Samus' Missiles).
She could also try to platform drom them (or drop>DJ>LK), but why would anyone get that close to a platformed Zelda? Just poke her shield with ranged aerials or any projectile.

Oh, and Zelda's dashgrab is pretty decent, don't understimate it.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Dthrow is good for positioning, Bthrow is a late killer.
Zelda will never dash unless she has something guaranteed or a read, if she trips she's screwed.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
every time i land a zelda sweetspot i yell "FOOTBALL!"

true story

Tesh

Smash Hero
Iono, tbh it seems like Fujin isn't so stellar with Zelda. Most low tier characters are underrated (despite being terrible) because their best players have moved on to better things. This why we have "top Links" being killed by Falco's CG -Dair, "top Zeldas" randomly missing the ledge when trying to recover and "top Falcons" trying to knee people all the time and land falcon punch without a setup (yes he has some). No disrespect intended to Fujin, but the few times we've seen top players use these character, it really outshines the actual mains.

Maybe I'm just awful, but when I Jerm, he does sweetspot the kicks. The best Zeldas I've faced didn't main Zelda.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
Riot is by far the best zelda and he mains zelda though, even in friendlies... (that's real character dedication)

tesh I can totally confirm what you were saying before about "knowing how to fight MK is really the only thing that matters." he's that dominant

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Iono, tbh it seems like Fujin isn't so stellar with Zelda. Most low tier characters are underrated (despite being terrible) because their best players have moved on to better things. This why we have "top Links" being killed by Falco's CG -Dair, "top Zeldas" randomly missing the ledge when trying to recover and "top Falcons" trying to knee people all the time and land falcon punch without a setup (yes he has some). No disrespect intended to Fujin, but the few times we've seen top players use these character, it really outshines the actual mains.

Maybe I'm just awful, but when I Jerm, he does sweetspot the kicks. The best Zeldas I've faced didn't main Zelda.
That may be so, but that totally isn't the case with the Ganons. I'd say that DLA and Verm are both actual legit high/top-level players. I've seen DLA play some other chars. He's actually really good. Why do you think we have Ganons who have actually gotten results (MONEY) but not Zeldas, Puffs, Links, Bowsers, etc. Ganon's metagame has actually been advanced by these few players. It all adds up in my argument that Ganon shouldn't be last in the tier list. I could reasonably see either Zelda, Puff, or even Link end up behind him, obviously with different reasons for each.

Btw, no amount of skill prevents some of the true ledgehog set-ups some chars have on Link. That alone is extremely devastating. DDD gets to kill Link for free. If it wasn't for that, I'd say the DDD:Link MU should only be +2.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I don't see how Ganon getting money makes him better than Zelda. We both just agreed that Ganon has better players than Zelda. When Vinnie or someone went Zelda for a tournament, he also won money, proving that great players can win a tournament with either character.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Dthrow is good for positioning, Bthrow is a late killer.
Zelda will never dash unless she has something guaranteed or a read, if she trips she's screwed.
Yeah i'd support this. If you're un-experienced or mess up, Zelda's Dthrow can lead in to a sweetspotted Bair. I'm pretty sure you can DI the throw on most percents but at around 30-40% i've always found it harder to DI well enough to avoid it. It's weird...

Riot is by far the best zelda and he mains zelda though, even in friendlies... (that's real character dedication)

tesh I can totally confirm what you were saying before about "knowing how to fight MK is really the only thing that matters." he's that dominant
Can't you at least respond to my post a little bit earlier? My point was, a character such as Ness has a decent MK MU (people want it changed to -1 and top Ness players strongly support it - Yink included - plus many others) but gets shut down by anyone with an infinite or guaranteed harsh stuff on him from a GR. Go back and read my post because I haven't fully explained it here... it's like a page or two back.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Uhhh, you SHOULD be using results to help gauge a char's position on the tier list. The fact that Ganon has won (the most) money suggests he has the best results. The fact that he's won money at all already means he has better results than a lot of other Low Tiers. Tesh, yes, we both just agreed that Ganon has much better players than pretty much all the other Low Tiers, but that doesn't mean Ganon shouldn't rise because of it, not even in the slightest. Skill should NOT be used to 'modify' any objective data (results, official MU spreads, etc.) because measures of skill are entirely subjective. If you're going to use the skill argument, you might as well agree that MK isn't the best char because all the best brawl players use him, so the skill disparity between him and other chars' users means his results aren't so dominating. :smash: Why do you think Falcon rose from last place? Because he started garnering results after good players started using him.

If a top player wins a tourney with Ganon, but no top player bothers to pick up Zelda or Link, you can't hold it against Ganon. You should objectively raise Ganon in your book and then beg the community to spread their 'low tier usage' so that we have more chars' metagames developed. This is the problem with this community. It puts worth into things like 'skill' to discredit a char's achievements so that its preconceived views can remain untouchable. You don't see other FGCs doing that to their respective tier lists. It doesn't matter that Chris G or Infiltration are probably way better than most of the player pool at their respective games. Their successes still mean something. Also, Tesh, yes, it was proven that "great players can win a tournament with either character" but who's won more good placings.

Verm JUST posted here stating how he got 5th place at a recent tourney. Where are the Zeldas and Links and Puffs doing that kind of work? Results SHOULD factor into a char's tier list placement. Ganon has them. He's had them for a couple years now (similar to ZSS). Why is he still last? And why are people trying to tell me that his results don't matter as much as other chars' do? :c

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Bubbaking if you're going for "most contradictions in one post" you really nailed it there.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
What contradictions am I stating? Please tell me. As far as I know, I've always been a very strong proponent of using results, and I've continually argued that skill shouldn't matter in tourney results (MU results are completely different, so I hope you are not referring to that :c). I was on here saying that Pika +2'd Snake because of his results over a year ago. What did everyone in here say? Things like "Lol, ESAM is way better as a Smash player than most of the people he fights. He's an outlier and shouldn't be considered much." and "What if all those Snakes don't know how to play the MU?" and "Perhaps ESAM's style is just too different from most Pikas' styles and it kinda hard-counters Snake players. He's an outlier anyway." Ridiculous things like that, even though, as Cassio said, "complaining that certain characters only have a single prominent user is pretty silly. If one person is capable of achieving such results then its the standard for the meta-game, there's absolutely no reason other players are incapable of doing the same."

Anyway, why don't you tell me what contradictions I've made instead of hinting at their presence and then hiding away again?

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I would love to but unfortunately I have this condition called Not Giving a **** which makes it hard for me to type such a response.

So I'll leave it up to you. Think of it as a crossword puzzle or something.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Uhhh, you SHOULD be using results to help gauge a char's position on the tier list. The fact that Ganon has won (the most) money suggests he has the best results. The fact that he's won money at all already means he has better results than a lot of other Low Tiers. Tesh, yes, we both just agreed that Ganon has much better players than pretty much all the other Low Tiers, but that doesn't mean Ganon shouldn't rise because of it, not even in the slightest. Skill should NOT be used to 'modify' any objective data (results, official MU spreads, etc.) because measures of skill are entirely subjective. If you're going to use the skill argument, you might as well agree that MK isn't the best char because all the best brawl players use him, so the skill disparity between him and other chars' users means his results aren't so dominating. :smash: Why do you think Falcon rose from last place? Because he started garnering results after good players started using him.

If a top player wins a tourney with Ganon, but no top player bothers to pick up Zelda or Link, you can't hold it against Ganon. You should objectively raise Ganon in your book and then beg the community to spread their 'low tier usage' so that we have more chars' metagames developed. This is the problem with this community. It puts worth into things like 'skill' to discredit a char's achievements so that its preconceived views can remain untouchable. You don't see other FGCs doing that to their respective tier lists. It doesn't matter that Chris G or Infiltration are probably way better than most of the player pool at their respective games. Their successes still mean something. Also, Tesh, yes, it was proven that "great players can win a tournament with either character" but who's won more good placings.

Verm JUST posted here stating how he got 5th place at a recent tourney. Where are the Zeldas and Links and Puffs doing that kind of work? Results SHOULD factor into a char's tier list placement. Ganon has them. He's had them for a couple years now (similar to ZSS). Why is he still last? And why are people trying to tell me that his results don't matter as much as other chars' do? :c
There aren't many good players in WA/OR.

:018:

Nicole

Smash Champion
i was going to make an actual post.
but then i read spelt's posts and didn't.

i really just wanted to get more posts, because someday i hope to have over 20,000 posts, guys, it's like my life goal. spelt is already beating everyone on this page, so i have to start keeping up and making two sentence posts that insult someone who's actually trying to discuss something and be a worthwhile contributor without giving a reason why, or i'll never reach my goal. bowser is the worst character, and i forget how to hide text entirely.

Tesh

Smash Hero
didnt i just say that zelda won a tournament when a good player used her?

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe

i really just wanted to get more posts, because someday i hope to have over 20,000 posts, guys, it's like my life goal. spelt is already beating everyone on this page, so i have to start keeping up and making two sentence posts that insult someone who's actually trying to discuss something and be a worthwhile contributor without giving a reason why, or i'll never reach my goal. bowser is the worst character, and i forget how to hide text entirely.
Nicole aka Thugnificent is in the house.

:018:

Malice In Wonderland

Smash Rookie
NNID
iEatPinkTacos
Also, all Vinnie beat in that Tournament was was Ch33s3 and Raptor, a has-been who loses to 12 year old girls and a Yoshi main.

You may take several seats Tesh.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer

Are you mad because Peach is bad and will never win a national?

+1

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
@Fujin: relax. I dunno what your history with Tesh is, but he gave an honest assessment of your skill level on a national scale. He never said he didn't think he was better than he is or that you aren't good, just that like, if M2K or ADHD played Zelda they'd be better because they're probably better players. That's not disrespectful. You can chill out, seriously.

@Spelt: wat

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh idk, you know me, just posting for the post count.

11075/20000

Cassio

Smash Master
To be fair Fujin was defending himself as well, just went to far. Aleate also confirmed what Fujin was saying, and Im not sure how feasible nair to dair sounds. I dont think top players generally know the characters as well as the mains who use them, theyre just better at brawls fundamentals and will beat players who they can abuse this against. For instanace it may not be that zelda's lightning kicks are particularly reliable to land, but that lower level players are hit by them more frequently.

Nicole

Smash Champion
Nicole

Spelt

my only weakness!
you have defeated me good sir.

smashboards may be safe for now, in the loving arms of its champion poster spelt, but i'll be back to get more likes, and post more than three times in one day on some other dark day! rest safely for now, forum-goers, but i, nicole, the somewhat mighty internet warrior, typically content to lurk and occasionally post something stupid, will return again on some day when i am equally bored.

until then spelt, enjoy your ill-gotten throne, and continue to rule your subjects with terrible insults and no proof of your superior intellect (don't worry, we all know it's there)

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Nicole has 7 likes @2811 posts which means that every 401.5th post of hers receives a like.
Spelt has 26 likes @11076 posts which means that every 426th post of his receives a like.

:059:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom