• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Apex 2015 Emergency Thread

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team

We have setup a thread in order to communicate details regarding Apex 2015. These details will be coming officially from Apex staff for release. Please check the thread here. We will also setup a subdomain for direct linking and will update when that is available. There are a lot of details and rumors flying around social media, this thread will only contain information that the Apex staff has confirmed and will be updated only once those details are finalized,with time stamps.

Stay tuned.

http://smashboards.com/threads/official-apex-2015-emergency-updates.388996/

Last edited by a moderator:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I don't think we needed 3 single news threads simply for what happened today, do we?

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I don't think we needed 3 single news threads simply for what happened today, do we?
To start, when we have news, we'll cover it.

Second, when the guy who owns Smashboards (a sponsor of the event) makes an emergency thread to help the largest live Smash event of all time people need to know so they can help and plan if possible I wouldn't be complaining. A lot of top community members are doing a LOT of work to still make this event happen and I want it to every every ounce of support.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
"Simply" Is it simple?!!! They have to relocate the ENTIRE tournament to another venue, if the hotel collapsed.... people could have DIED.... and here you are saying it's "simple".

Last edited:

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
I'm surprised SSB4U 1.0.2 hasn't been covered yet.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
"Simply" Is it simple?!!! They have to relocate the ENTIRE tournament to another venue, if the hotel collapsed.... people could have DIED.... and here you are saying it's "simple".
Perhaps "simple" was a wrong choice of words. Sorry, thought the situation was a little less worse.

[NameGoesHere]

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4356-2722-9069
Geez what an unfortunate turn of events Apex 2015 have non stop problems. Only thing i really worry about is if every one is ok and if they can manage to run a 1k+ player tournament and a 800+ player tornament in 2 days x.x......

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I'm surprised SSB4U 1.0.2 hasn't been covered yet.
To be fair, it's not much of a huge update. Just a couple more stages for 8-player Smash and a few QoL changes for amiibo functionality and online features.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
Hmm...hope this go OK. I guess maybe it's good I didn't go this year. I wouldn't want to deal with this trouble. I still hope all things go well.

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
How unfortunate. After such a successful 2014, I think everyone had high hopes for 2015 Smash Bros. If the conditions of Apex reflect on what's to come, then I am concerned for the future of the competitors, the developers at Nintendo, and the future of competitive Smash Bros.
I hope everyone remained safe and that things will get better.

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
Smashboards have been on top of it all day, glad they are here to help with all the announcements

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
There is not enough credit being given here.

Yes, it's sucks what is happening at Apex, but despite the atrocities with the venue, and despite the fact that over 1000 players and visitors are being kicked out due to structural instabilities, the community at large managed to find a new venue within four hours of this crisis and everyone is now working their asses off to get this to happen ASAP. Apex staff and volunteers are loading up TVs and they're making arrangements to carry all the players over to the new building, and they're going to be working overnight to make sure this still happens.

They could have easily called it quits and told everyone to go home. Many people would have done this.

Best of all, we get to hear all the news and it would have been completely understandable if the Apex Staff and Smashboards did not make such of an effort to get the news to us.

Major, major props to everyone involved in getting this tournament going. You have my undying respect and loyalty.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
Any idea what nintendo is planning on doing with their big reveal that was supposed to be at apex tonight? or was that splatoon?

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Let's not take chances, if it was Wolf who did this, well I have a solution.
To all Apex 2015 goers, we have a request. As you know Apex is being sponsored by Nintendo, and because of this we want to send them a message, that we want and will support the Brawl veteran Wolf, becoming playable in Super Smash Bros for Wii U and Super Smash Bros for 3DS as his own playable character via DLC. This event will be televised, so we ask you to kindly tell the world that you want Wolf DLC, and if you are fortunate enough to encounter a Nintendo employee, notably one who is in a high position at Nintendo, like Reggie, Bill Trinen, JC, directly tell them you want Wolf to be playable in Super Smash Bros for Wii U and Super Smash Bros for 3DS as his own playable character via DLC. Thank You.
Support Wolf Today!
If it wasn't just Wolf, then support those other cut characters too, if we support them at Apex, they won't try and cancel it.
Also why 3 different threads for this?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Let's not take chances, if it was Wolf who did this, well I have a solution.
To all Apex 2015 goers, we have a request. As you know Apex is being sponsored by Nintendo, and because of this we want to send them a message, that we want and will support the Brawl veteran Wolf, becoming playable in Super Smash Bros for Wii U and Super Smash Bros for 3DS as his own playable character via DLC. This event will be televised, so we ask you to kindly tell the world that you want Wolf DLC, and if you are fortunate enough to encounter a Nintendo employee, notably one who is in a high position at Nintendo, like Reggie, Bill Trinen, JC, directly tell them you want Wolf to be playable in Super Smash Bros for Wii U and Super Smash Bros for 3DS as his own playable character via DLC. Thank You.
Support Wolf Today!
If it wasn't just Wolf, then support those other cut characters too, if we support them at Apex, they won't try and cancel it.
Also why 3 different threads for this?
No offense but this shouldn't have been posted.

Anyway i have to agree, major props to the organizers here! Hope it's smooth sailing from here.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
No offense but this shouldn't have been posted.

Anyway i have to agree, major props to the organizers here! Hope it's smooth sailing from here.
Just superstitious, speaking of which, support Ice users for DLC, Ice Climbers and Lucas can freeze and cause blizzards. I don't want this getting canceled.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Just superstitious, speaking of which, support Ice users for DLC, Ice Climbers and Lucas can freeze and cause blizzards. I don't want this getting canceled.
Superstition has nothing to do with this, just poor planning. The cut vets aren't out to kill everyone. Also NO one is going to just bump into a nintendo rep. And if they didm asking wouldn't affect anything. It's either they're in or out.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
There is not enough credit being given here.

Yes, it's sucks what is happening at Apex, but despite the atrocities with the venue, and despite the fact that over 1000 players and visitors are being kicked out due to structural instabilities, the community at large managed to find a new venue within four hours of this crisis and everyone is now working their ***** off to get this to happen ASAP. Apex staff and volunteers are loading up TVs and they're making arrangements to carry all the players over to the new building, and they're going to be working overnight to make sure this still happens.

They could have easily called it quits and told everyone to go home. Many people would have done this.

Best of all, we get to hear all the news and it would have been completely understandable if the Apex Staff and Smashboards did not make such of an effort to get the news to us.

Major, major props to everyone involved in getting this tournament going. You have my undying respect and loyalty.
You had me until the "undying respect and loyalty" part. That's a nugget of hyperbole I don't personally take lightly. Still, I 100% agree with everything else you said. Bravo, guys.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I know the culprit to what led to the closing of the venue and moving of the tournament:

A winter storm front formed from a low pressure system bringing heavy snow to the region compounded by structural weak spots of the previous venue which led to the collapsing thus rendering those rooms potentially hazardous and unfit for occupation. The problem was further exasperated by the venue staff who were unprepared for this unforseeable problem, the guests already in attendance at the event, a pulled emergency exit, and the fire department who responded to the pulled emergency door. Albeitly, this was a blessing in disguise as there was an actual emergency. Subsequent panic that the event may be cancelled led to wild assumptions and speculation but quick thinking from the Apex team and Twitch led to a rocky but successful move to the new venue.

Wolf, Lucas, Ice Climbers, Nintendo's involvement, and lack of PM didn't lead to these string of events because, well, they are actually unable to alter or manipulate meteorological events or the outcome of particular situations. It was just the product of timing, mismanagement, and unfortunate circumstances.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Also, VG Bootcamp put up a Youtube video explaining what went wrong earlier, for those who, like me, do not use Twitter.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Good lord, the previous venue just took safety regulations and decided to beat them with an aluminum bat.

That's some poor management right there.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I know the culprit to what led to the closing of the venue and moving of the tournament:

A winter storm front formed from a low pressure system bringing heavy snow to the region compounded by structural weak spots of the previous venue which led to the collapsing thus rendering those rooms potentially hazardous and unfit for occupation. The problem was further exasperated by the venue staff who were unprepared for this unforseeable problem, the guests already in attendance at the event, a pulled emergency exit, and the fire department who responded to the pulled emergency door. Albeitly, this was a blessing in disguise as there was an actual emergency. Subsequent panic that the event may be cancelled led to wild assumptions and speculation but quick thinking from the Apex team and Twitch led to a rocky but successful move to the new venue.

Wolf, Lucas, Ice Climbers, Nintendo's involvement, and lack of PM didn't lead to these string of events because, well, they are actually unable to alter or manipulate meteorological events or the outcome of particular situations. It was just the product of timing, mismanagement, and unfortunate circumstances.
(Winter storms are part of nature, Viridi is the goddess of nature, Viridi hates humans,) but yeah you're right it was merely the unfortunate timings of the events, no one knew a blizzard would hit when they planned where Apex would be, though since Apex is now moved to tomorrow, does that mean that the Special announcements and finals will be pushed to Monday?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
(Winter storms are part of nature, Viridi is the goddess of nature, Viridi hates humans,)
But that would be implying that Viridi can extend her power beyond that of the screen....which she obviously can't seeing as she's a video game character.

Now, if they COULD actually influence reality, that would make life pretty amazing and fun.

Last edited:

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
First time I see big companies support a gaming event... Which is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay cool! Thanks a lot for supporting!

How unfortunate. After such a successful 2014, I think everyone had high hopes for 2015 Smash Bros. If the conditions of Apex reflect on what's to come, then I am concerned for the future of the competitors, the developers at Nintendo, and the future of competitive Smash Bros.
I hope everyone remained safe and that things will get better.
Brilliant event sometimes comes from a complete disaster. As (quote here) said, by avoiding potential deaths and injuries is already making it a successful event, happens or not. (What, would you like to remember APEX 2015 for people dying? or a APEX 2015 Adaptation which it might have saved lives?) Health and security is a priority in an event.
Even more, this means they have been organizing well by now after a sudden chaos, for me they're doing a great job.
As for the budget of the people who traveled there for the event... well sorry, hope you can handle it.

Last edited:

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
But that would be implying that Viridi can extend her power beyond that of the screen....which she obviously can't seeing as she's a video game character.

Now, if they COULD actually influence reality, that would make life pretty amazing and fun.
I disagree.Reset bombs would not be a pleasant reality.

Top Bottom