• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 2015 Melee Tier List & Community Lists Released

Over the past few years top players have pushed the metagame for Melee to new heights. As new techniques have been discovered and old techniques have been perfected and applied more consistently; match-ups have been taken into new directions and the dominant characters have changed. Smashboards polled played ranked in the Top 40 of either the Smashboards or MeleeItOnMe rankings during 2015 and complied the data to create the next official update to the tier list for Super Smash Bros Melee. The previous release can be found here for reference.

Official 2015 Melee Tier List

SS
:foxmelee:
S :falcomelee: :marthmelee: :sheikmelee:

High
A :jigglypuffmelee::peachmelee:

B :icsmelee::falconmelee:
High Mid
C
:pikachumelee::samusmelee:
Mid
D
:drmario::yoshimelee::luigimelee:
Low Mid
E
:ganondorfmelee::mariomelee::younglinkmelee::dkmelee::linkmelee:
Low
F
:gawmelee::roymelee::mewtwomelee::zeldamelee::nessmelee:
Bottom
G:pichumelee:
:bowsermelee::kirbymelee:

The full details for the 2015 Melee Tier List can be found here. Statistics for the character placements and separations are available, with individual votes from the top players to be posted individually over time. Please note that this list is for NTSC. Earlier this year the third official PAL tier list was released on SmashEurope.

In addition, two other lists have been created as well. While the main tier list only features the votes and opinions of top level players, the other lists highlight a more broadened community opinion. The official tier list uses votes of twenty-four players ranked in the Top 40 of either the Smashboards or MeleeItOnMe rankings. The "Community Panel" list is less restrictive and utilizes the votes of sixty players who appeared ranked in the top thousand on the Smashboards rankings. This generally means they are at minimum tournament goers of a moderate skill level, but also includes high level talent not quite up to the Top 40. The final list is an all-inclusive "Community" list where lists from the community at large were accepted, regardless of tournament results or attendance. This means that viewers and theorists could have their opinions weighed in as well. This list features the votes of over one thousand smashers. The full release for the community lists can be found here thanks to the efforts of @Sveet.

Official | Community Panel | Community
SS :foxmelee: | SS :foxmelee: | SS :foxmelee:
S :falcomelee: :marthmelee: :sheikmelee: | S :falcomelee::marthmelee::sheikmelee: | S :falcomelee::marthmelee::sheikmelee:
A :jigglypuffmelee::peachmelee: B :icsmelee::falconmelee: | A :jigglypuffmelee::peachmelee::falconmelee::icsmelee: | A :jigglypuffmelee::peachmelee::falconmelee::icsmelee:
C :pikachumelee::samusmelee: | B :samusmelee::pikachumelee: | B :pikachumelee::samusmelee:
D :drmario::yoshimelee::luigimelee: | C :luigimelee::yoshimelee::drmario::ganondorfmelee: | C :luigimelee::yoshimelee::drmario::ganondorfmelee:
E :ganondorfmelee::mariomelee::younglinkmelee::dkmelee::linkmelee: | D :mariomelee::younglinkmelee::linkmelee::dkmelee: | D :mariomelee::younglinkmelee::linkmelee::dkmelee:
F :gawmelee::roymelee::mewtwomelee::zeldamelee::nessmelee: | E :gawmelee::roymelee::mewtwomelee::zeldamelee: | E :gawmelee::roymelee::mewtwomelee::nessmelee::zeldamelee:
G :pichumelee::bowsermelee::kirbymelee: | F :pichumelee::nessmelee::bowsermelee::kirbymelee: | F :pichumelee::bowsermelee::kirbymelee:

Despite these differences in methodology, the lists are quite similar. What this means is that after fourteen years of experience with the game the community at large has a well-informed understanding of how characters operate in the metagame. Despite this the game has continually seen more techniques come into play over the past few years in the current era and an important part of understanding the metagame is understanding that there is still more to learn and discover. Will this be the last update to the Melee tier list? Likely not as the scene continues to grow and match-ups that once appeared set in stone have been shaken up. Top Tier characters and lower tiered characters alike have seen advancements and we are likely to see changed to our current understanding of the metagame in the future as strategies evolve.

Last edited by a moderator:
A. "Xiivi" Brando Corsaro

Comments

Pichu is wayyyy better than mewtwo.

I'd love to see Doc in C tier I truly think he has what it takes, but we are at a complete loss of Doc mains in the community. Still though, he's a pretty solid character minus his recovery. Pills alone are enough to put him up there with Samus IMO.

Pretty accurate overall though, just throwing my opinions out there. I can agree with this list.

i still think doc should go lower,maybe E tier
Why? He's pretty solid IMO. Pills help cover his recovery and provide an approach to cover his slower speed... he has combos, and he has kill setups.

Definitely viable. Winning a national? no. But Viable none the less. I could see a great doc player getting top 8

Still think that Falco is better than Fox, but this isn't a bad list. Still think that OVERALL (not in the Head to Head) that Peach is more viable than Jigglypuff. Also I think Ganon should drop 2 spots and Ness is worse than Pichu.

Why? He's pretty solid IMO. Pills help cover his recovery and provide an approach to cover his slower speed... he has combos, and he has kill setups.

Definitely viable. Winning a national? no. But Viable none the less. I could see a great doc player getting top 8
he seems like ganondorf. both with pretty good tools but lack meaningful results

Last edited:
Man if only I were able to attend tournaments, I could show people what Melee Doc can do, (I'm a lifelong Doc main). He definitely belongs in C, but it's really a shame that there is almost no representation for him...

The 20XX gods have finally done it. We're all doomed people. It's nothing but multi shines and shorthop lasers from here.

Last edited:
I like the list. Maybe instead of separating it so much they should put Falco in SS with Fox. move falcon up to A. Idk it seems like everyone got lowered lol it looks funky but right.

Last edited:
Both the Community Panel and Community tier lists have Link above DK, yet DK is still above Link in the official one......

Why have I not seen one tired don exit post yet? It used to be all the rage :(

I miss the Roy fanboys from 07, a skilled roy can beat any marth, teh phire... etc.

That's not necessarily true. What about that one Yoshi player? ( ._. yes I forgot the name)
I believe you are referring to aMSa. Thing is though, while aMSa has had more success with Yoshi than anyone to date (in fact Yoshi's rise on the list is almost solely because of him) he still doesn't do all that great with Yoshi. aMSa is a fantastic player, but even though he can do crazy things with Yoshi it's just as often the character holds him back.

Last edited:
IMO Yoshi's placement is perfect in mid tier. Shoutouts to aMSa and the few dedicated Yoshi mains for getting him there!

Last edited:
Ok, I have been wondering this ever since I started to look at the competitive scene.... can someone tell me what makes Kirby the definitively worst in Melee? And specially what makes him worse than Bowser and Pichu?

Why is Sheik S-tier? When was the last time a sheik won a big tournament that wasnt Armada sandbagging with sheik in Europe? She struggles with Fox and Puff, does well vs Marth, but that goes for puff too! A-tier: Puff then Sheik then Peach... IMO.

>Bowser not 26th in the game
>Mewtwo given much more credit than he's worth.
I don't know why the back room is still giving Doc credit over Yoshi and Luigi when he hasn't been relevant since the old school days

Last edited:
Top Bottom