• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Apr 25, 2015] MegaManor X2 (Muskegon, Mi)

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Put location in OP plz. Not just the event thing.

Also, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/1668763026681384/

edit: also how are you going to have FoD as a starter but not FD especially when you have Battlefield and it seems your goal is to eliminate redundant stage structures from the Starter list?

Let stage striking work and include the variety of zero platforms in addition to one, two, three, and four.
Took care of the location bits.

The stage list, especially FoD over FD, took me a long time to come up with. I weighed the fact that this is, first and foremost, a game based on the fact that it is a platform fighter. To create a stage without any sort of platforms is a huge departure from how a stage is usually supposed to react and flow, and above all Final Destination has always been argued that it is more CP material than any other starter, and only retains its place due to lingering matchup bias against spacies, as it provides better fodder to just juggle them and other fast fallers. In a game with a few more of these types of characters, coupled with a much larger potential stagelist, there was just no way I could keep it while testing the five stage starter list.

As for FoD, it was chosen over GHZ, Yoshi's Story, FD, and Yoshi's Island (Brawl) due to the fact that it simply works the best as a neutral stage. There was a couple tests and surveys about the stages in PM and Smash in general and how, in the end, FoD was discovered to be the best neutral stage because many people felt that they didn't perform on that stage with an innate advantage. In other words, neutral. Arguing Battlefield and FoD as triangle stages is valid, but with the extreme differences in stage size, boundaries, and - most importantly - the varying heights of the side platforms, it differentiates itself from BF very fairly. It always shares 'Weird stage geometry' with GHZ, YS, and YI, but it didn't boast the crazier gimmicks of those stages either(swinging platform changing vertical and horizontally, lipped edges and broken tether recoveries ala Randall, extreme lips and random ghost spawns ala George, respectively).

If you dislike flatter stages, you are left with BF, WW, and FoD.
If you dislike triangle stages, you are left with WW, SV, and PS2
If you dislike walls, you are left with SV, PS2, and BF.
If you dislike platforms, you are (likely) left with SV, PS2, and FoD.

There was a lot of thought put into the stagelist so that someone could not just own the stagelist with stages only they like and perform well on, as that often removes the purpose of a counterpick. When people complain about 'Garbage Stagelists,' which is thrown around by the saltier members of our community, it usually means there are a couple stages that are not to their tastes, but are functionally fine on their own. This often is pointed at stages like Skyworld, Lylat Cruise, or Norfair. Be it stage lips that rob you of a stock that you yourself threw away on a careless recovery, or you screwed up the timing and ended up under the stage, or you couldn't find a solid position to prevent someone from running away(respectively), people are going to have issues with stages across the board, even and especially the neutrals.

That's my reasoning for the choice of FoD over FD. It plays into a better, fairer game one, and expanded a bit to include why certain stages exist in the CPs. I am not deaf to everyone's opinions on the stages, but player bias is one thing, balanced playing field is another.

EDIT: I am aware that Overswarm's survey both existed and was not very well put together, both in subject size, time, and other factors. It's also the more recent example, but not the only one that's ever been done. Regardless, FoD and FD have remained starters for years in Melee, yet the argument for FD has always been that it exists mostly as a spacie counter among many matchups that happens to be a neutral stage for some of the matchups among viable characters and, more aptly, to fair up a match between an unviable character and a viable one. With PM more balanced and more of the cast viable, FD exists and provides far more extremes in gameplay, forcing a great many characters to forcibly ban FD. There are enough aspects about FoD that it is never truly against any character at every single moment of the match, and specifically the stage runs on a timer, same as Randall.

Last edited:

Arcalyth

GLS | root
You can't call out player bias when you're the only person who thinks the way you do. If all of your tournament attendees think your stagelist is garbage, it probably is, and you are sacrificing your turnout if you don't do anything about it.

fZk

Smash Lord
Last time nobody there played by the rules posted. I saw several sets where people looked with a puzzled face at the notebook with the stagelist, said "want to do regular stagelist" and proceeded to play with the normal neutrals. It's definitely the reason that kept me from entering, the neural list was way biased towards characters that do well in small stages and I didn't like that. I think the rules are bad and have not heard anybody say any different except you.

Also $10 for a house tourney with 2 or 3 setups was straight up ridiculous.

MiloniVanili

Smash Apprentice
the problem with that stagelist, in my opinion anyway, is that its heavily in favor of the faster more aggressive characters, when all they have to do is ban PS2 and suddenly they have nothing but favorable stages where you cant get them off of you, characters like sonic and the spacies have a largely unfair advantage against the slower paced ones like mario, zelda, link, ect. with the normal stagelist the more fast aggressive characters ban ps2 and FD and the slower ones ban BF and yoshis and eventually settle with SV and its fine for both parties, with this one the fast ones ban PS2 and SV and if you play a more campy character then you are gonna have a bad time and there is nothing you can do about it. although its true playing against a campy character isnt very fun but being mindlessly aggressed on by sonic or a spacie on one of these super small stages isnt very fun either. also spacies players are the only ones at any sort of actual disadvantage on FD

also $10 entry fee is a little unreasonable imo

Last edited:

Arcalyth

GLS | root
I propose an experimental stagelist is fine (I only have two minor gripes about Super's current stagelist, that fd isn't starter and distant planet is singles legal)

...but you can't ALSO have $10 entry.

Experimental stagelist xor $10

W.C.N

Smash Lord
I haven't seen people complain about stage list like this since drdnsworld...nice to see it still happening

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Depending on community reaction to TK|Breezy's new stagelist, I'll definitely be looking into it for the next Manor Smash.

More curious about the edited stages than anything. If it's all released, I wouldn't mind demoing it in any Money Matches.

MiloniVanili

Smash Apprentice
nah dude i played roy last time, this time i might have another secret to bring out too

Last edited:

MiloniVanili

Smash Apprentice
i think that and when i switched to kirby on my last stock of the crew battle were the only times i didnt play roy, due to matchup concerns

MiloniVanili

Smash Apprentice
i disagree, the turnips and dying at 20 from fair nair and d smash is really hard to deal with, but it doesnt matter because im not sure im going to keep playing roy or kirby because im still trying to find a character i really love playing and i dont think either of them are it

Last edited:

Angrycuban

Smash Journeyman
sorry but idk if you know what your talking about. Its common knowledge that characters with disjoints beat peach, her worst match ups in melee are marth and puff lol. In this game its link, meta, knight, kirby lucas, marth and Ivy... -.- read the match up thread on the peach boards they all agree with me lmao roy can just spam forward air which completly beats all of peachs aerials forcing her to play on the ground, basically meaning her biggest strength (her aerials) are useless in the match up and roy kills her earlier than almost any character. Peach has turnips and solid combos on roy so that makes the match up fairly even compared to other sword characters IMO. its like 55-45 roy favor

Last edited:

LOE1

Smash Lord
Hmm, this is on my birthday. Too bad im not turning 21 though :denzel:

MiloniVanili

Smash Apprentice
im probably not even going to be able to make the next rootfest, i really wish i got this when i was half my age instead of now

shwickid222

Smash Journeyman
shwick isnt coming??? who said that? ill be here lmao. and ive got a shwick for all of you :). either way someone is getting hit with the ultra move lol. i look forward to seeing you all there!!!. my ganon has been retired for now. but i may still pull him out when i have a certain MU. the T-bird falcon shwick ratio is still in my favor. so i will have to ganon that MU. lol.

L_Cancel

Smash Champion
Turns out I have this day off, I may be interested in going and would need a ride, but I do have work at 6am on Sunday so I wouldn't be able to spend the night..

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Some GR players have been known to head home Saturday night, but I hope you make it out, man. There are whispers that Lordy might be making it out to Manor Smash in an attempt to take the crown.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
shwick isnt coming??? who said that? ill be here lmao. and ive got a shwick for all of you :). either way someone is getting hit with the ultra move lol. i look forward to seeing you all there!!!. my ganon has been retired for now. but i may still pull him out when i have a certain MU. the T-bird falcon shwick ratio is still in my favor. so i will have to ganon that MU. lol.
PM Starts in fifteen and no SHWICK!?

Who said that?

Top Bottom