• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Oct 25, 2014] High Elevation 1 FEAT. WV's Finest -Melee, PM (Charleston, West Virginia)

AaronScaring

Smash Apprentice

Introduction

We are proud to present the first large tournament series in Charleston, WV, High Elevation! We aim to make this an enjoyable and successful tournament series, and with this series, help WV grow into a prosperous smash scene.

Tournament Organizers: @Amaterasu04 (Alfonso), @ Gnarly Gnarly (Mitchell), @ AaronScaring AaronScaring (Aaron), @ lifexlust lifexlust (Zach)

Facebook event page here

West Virginia Smash Facebook group here

Registration
Registration will take place on the day of the tournament, right when you enter the building at the front desk.
IMPORTANT: There is a $5 venue fee. This fee can be waived if you bring a full setup (Gamecube/Wii, Melee/PM, and a TV). If you bring a flat screen TV, then it will not count! (Only the first 10 setups, PM or Melee, will receive the discount.)

Events
Melee Singles: $10 entry fee
Melee Doubles: $10 per team
Project M Singles: $10 entry fee

Venue
The venue is at AFK Games in Cross Lanes, West Virginia. The address is 134 Goff Mountain Rd Suite 2, Cross Lanes, WV 25313

Schedule (tentative)
~12pm (Noon)~
-Doors (setup registrations)
-Signups for PM Singles begin
-SIgnups for Melee Doubles begin
-Signups for Melee Singles begin

~1pm~
-Signups for PM will come to a close

~1:30pm~
-PM Pools (if needed)
-PM Bracket (if no pools)

~2:30pm~
-Melee Singles signups will come to a close
-Melee Doubles signups will come to a close

~3pm~
-PM Bracket (with pools)

~~3pm-5pm~~
-Melee Doubles Bracket (depends on PM Singles progression)

~6:30pm~
-Melee Singles Pools

~8pm~
-Melee Singles Bracket

Rules
Melee:
Melee will abide by the APEX Ruleset. One important thing this means for the usuals at AFK is that stage striking will be determined by Rock Paper Scissors, instead of who is on top on bracket. Grand Finals, Winners' Finals, and Losers' Finals will be best of 5.
Singles Stage List
Starters/Neutrals:
  • Yoshi’s Story
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Dream Land
Counterpick:
  • Pokemon Stadium
Doubles Stage List
Starters/Neutrals:
  • Yoshi’s Story
  • Pokemon Stadium
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Dream Land
Counterpick:
  • DK 64
General Rules
  • Items are set to off
  • Stock and time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes, respectively
  • Wobbling is legal. Wobbling past 250% will be considered stalling and is not allowed.
  • Double Blind: If elected
  • Contest Port Priority: If elected
  • Neutral Start: If elected
  • DSR: You cannot counter pick to any stage you have won on ever.
  • Gentleman’s Clause: Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it. This rule takes priority over DSR. Players may NOT agree to change the number of matches to be played.
  • Forced Character Selection: Off
  • Matches that time out will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, the match should be replayed in full. Sudden Death is not to be played, and will not count. A player/team may not counterpick to the stage they last won on. This includes the first match won via stage striking.
  • Pausing the game shall only be legal while either player remains upon their OWN respawn platform, and only for the purpose of summoning a tournament official or in the case of a controller malfunction. All other pauses will incur a stock loss to the player who pauses the game.
  • Any coaching that happens during the match (but not in between matches) is restricted. Players who violate this rule will receive a warning (BOTH the player AND the person coaching the player) on the first attempt. Players who violate this rule after a warning will be disqualified from the event and a possible ejection from the venue.
  • Players are to attend their matches at the designated times they are called. If you are late to a match, the following rules will be applied based on the amount of time:
    • If you are 5 minutes late: Results in a match loss
    • If you are 10 minutes late: Results in a set loss
    • These times will be strictly enforced to make sure that each player will enjoy the full event on a timely manner.
Additional Rules for Teams Play
  • Team Attack: ON
  • Life Stealing is allowed
  • If the game is paused accidentally while attempting to steal a life, the opposing team may deem that life forfeit. Wait until the announcer has finished saying defeated before pressing start, or turn pause off prior to beginning the match.
How to Play a Set
  1. Players select their characters. Either player may elect to Double Blind
  2. Use Stage Striking to determine the first stage
  3. The players play the first match of the set
    Prior to starting this match, either player may elect to Contest Port Priority or Neutral Start. Note: Only one of these two may be used, as both have a built in Port Selection mechanism using RPS. If there is a situation where a player would like to change which option they elected after playing the game of RPS, it is the opponent’s choice to allow it. The results from the previously played game of RPS will carry over.
  4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage/stages (if applicable).
    For Best of 3 sets, each player gets 1 stage ban.
    For Best of 5 sets, there are no stage bans.
  5. The losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match.
  6. The winning player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  7. The losing player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  8. The losing player of the preceding match gets first pick of port. Either player may elect for a neutral Start, but RPS will not be played to determine first pick.
  9. The next match is played.
  10. Repeat Steps 4 through 9 for all subsequent matches until the set is complete.

Project M: PM will abide by the APEX Ruleset, but stage striking will be determined by the stagelist set up by TKBreezy. If you don't know these stages, check out THIS VIDEO. Grand Finals, Winners' Finals, and Losers' Finals will be best of 5.
Project M 3.0 Rulest

* 4 stock, 8 minutes.

* Sets are best of 3. Finals are best of 5.

* Items set to “off” and “none.”

* Either player may call for a Double Blind character selection for the first match.

* Dave’s Stupid Rule: A player may not counterpick any stage he won on in a set.

* Controller port is determined by Rock Paper Scissors if it can’t be agreed upon. For doubles, the controller ports must be 1-2-2-1.

* For doubles, Team Attack is on and life stealing is allowed. Remember that Attack+Special, not the Pause button, is used to steal lives.

* Pausing during a match, unless okayed by the other player, will result in the loss of one stock for the pauser.

* Quitting out of a match before it is over will result in a loss for the quitter.

* If time runs out, the person with the most stock left (or least % if they are equal) wins. If the % is equal as well, play a 1 stock 3 minute match, same characters and stage.

* If the match goes to sudden death due to a suicide move (Ganon’s side-B, Kirby/DDD’s swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the one who initiated the move wins.

* Buffer set to off.

* Custom controls are allowed, but controllers modified to enhance performance are not. No turbo buttons, etc. However, removing the springs from shoulder buttons or replacing a thumbstick with a different thumbstick are ok.

* Custom music is allowed as long as it’s not too distracting, but any textures or vertex hacks outside of the official team color textures are not.

* If you want to use your own SD card, a TO must overwrite the important game files (not music) in order to make sure there are no modifications. If you are caught cheating with modified game files, you will be immediately DQed without refund and banned from future events.

* In the event that the game crashes or the TV/Wii loses power in the middle of a match, that match will be restarted from the beginning with the same characters and stage. If a player uses a known glitch to intentionally crash the game or otherwise make it unfinishable, that player may be forced to forfeit the match or be DQed at the TO’s discretion.

* No excessive stalling (this includes abusing Jiggs’ Rising Pound and Mario’s Up-B Walljump)

* No coaching during a match. Consulting someone between matches is allowed as long as it doesn’t hold up the next match.

* Both players may agree to any rule or stage outside the tournament ruleset.

* Giga Bowser is banned.

PAYOUTS
-Singles-
[if >32 entrants]
1st: 55%
2nd: 25%
3rd: 10%
4th: 5%
5th/6th: 2.5%

[if <32 entrants]
1st: 60%
2nd: 25%
4th: 5%

-Doubles-
1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
FOOD
  • AFK Games will have drinks (Soda, Water, Energy drinks) available for purchase as well as snacks!
  • Pizza Hut next to venue (possible 10%-20% discount on day of High Elevation)
  • Subway within 5 minute walking distance
  • Taco Bell within 5 minute walking distance
  • Speedway (gas station) within 5 minute walking distance
  • Wendy's within 5 minute walking distance (must cross street)
  • Gomart (gas station) across the street from venue
  • Rice Bowl (Chinese restaurant) within 5 minute walking distance
  • McDonalds within 5 minute drive of venue
  • Arby's within 5 minute drive of venue
  • Burger King within 5 minute drive of venue

Last edited:

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Looking forward to this! We already have some guaranteed setups (thanks to Boss!), so I'm looking forward to a nicely-run tournament from WV's finest TOs. Me and Krox will be there, and I'll let the northern WV crew know to bring their armada.

Last edited:

Gnarly

Smash Rookie
All of WVs best talent will be there, let's make this big

Balance

The Boss
I'll be there! This is going to be one great tournament; full of upsets for experienced players! The community has no idea of the talent we've been brewing up in these mountains!

Last edited:

Gnarly

Smash Rookie
Lots of new information has been added to this post, so check it!

Defex

Smash Cadet
NNID
toot1231
Even if I have not played Melee in like forever would I look like an idiot coming to play? (never been to a tourny before.)

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Definitely not! There are a lot of players just getting into the scene (or getting back into the scene), and there are a lot of skilled players as well, so you'll have plenty of people to play against. If you want to get a feel for the WV scene, you can check out our weekly series that we host at the same venue every Friday night (more info here: http://smashboards.com/threads/sep-...os-locals-at-afk-games-cross-lanes-wv.357086/). We rotate between Melee and PM, so be sure to check it out!

Also, if you want to know of what's going on smash-wise in WV, check out our WV Smash Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/408805205918060/

Hope to see you around!

AaronScaring

Smash Apprentice
Even if I have not played Melee in like forever would I look like an idiot coming to play? (never been to a tourny before.)
You should def come to the weeklies at AFK. You could get a bit more experience before High Elevation. We're all usually willing to help people out with any questions about gameplay and getting better, especially KrazyKnux^^^ and myself, because we're usually there about every week. And plus we barely have Link experience and need a good Link player haha

Defex

Smash Cadet
NNID
toot1231
You should def come to the weeklies at AFK. You could get a bit more experience before High Elevation. We're all usually willing to help people out with any questions about gameplay and getting better, especially KrazyKnux^^^ and myself, because we're usually there about every week. And plus we barely have Link experience and need a good Link player haha
How long do they last and all that stuff? I live very close to the place where you guys host it. would like to bring a friend too.
also you guys do this every week? i had no idea WV even had a smash scene at all.

AaronScaring

Smash Apprentice
How long do they last and all that stuff? I live very close to the place where you guys host it. would like to bring a friend too.
also you guys do this every week? i had no idea WV even had a smash scene at all.
The tournaments last for about 2 hours, and a few of us stay pretty late (1ish AM) and play lots of friendlies. If you haven't already join the WV Smash page and check out the AFK Smash Page for more information about the weeklies. We do it every week but we switch between Melee and PM each week. This upcoming week is Melee (which tends to be more popular).

Defex

Smash Cadet
NNID
toot1231
alright i have played both games a very fair amount. would love to come out this friday but Hyrule warriors comes out that day. so maybe the next Friday ill show up

you guys provide everything right aslong as i have the $ ?

AaronScaring

Smash Apprentice
alright i have played both games a very fair amount. would love to come out this friday but Hyrule warriors comes out that day. so maybe the next Friday ill show up

you guys provide everything right aslong as i have the $ ?
Yea we all have setups, and I usually bring an extra controller.

adam87

Smash Rookie
Can someone help me understand I am new to this site? When is this? What time if I can attend should I get there?

Its_Alpaca

Smash Apprentice
Can someone help me understand I am new to this site? When is this? What time if I can attend should I get there?
It's on Oct. 25th, Venue doors open at 12 (Noon) and the event is planned to start around 1 P.M. so it'd be best to aim to show up in that hour.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
I wonder if any OoSers might wanna challenge me and Krox to a teams MM?!

WV too polite tho. We might just have to accept and then allow them to keep their money ;)

Gnarly

Smash Rookie
Tournament posting has been updated with schedule and more information!

SEE YOU IN TWO WEEKS

Top Bottom