• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Jan 3, 2015] Cincinnati Smash Revival Biweekly (Mason, Ohio)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I was thinking of swapping skyworld and draculas castle; what were you thinking os?
If it were up to me completely I'd make a whole crap ton of stages legal and give only one ban.

Most of the PM community are opposed to that change though, so in the interest of less pouting I'd make the stagelist focus on only the first page and fairness:

2 or 3 bans

Starter: (2 smallish, 2 mid-long, 3 mid-plat of various sizes, 2 big)

Green Hill Zone
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
PS2
Smashville
FoD
Battlefield
Lylat
Dreamland 64
Skyworld

Counterpicks: (I bolded the ones people might have an issue with, but they are fine)
(plus all starters)
Final Destination
Skyloft
Dracula's Castle
Norfair

Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
PS1
Castle Siege
Halberd

Wario Ware
Metal Cavern

This stage list is the entire first page minus the top two on the right. (They overinfluence the amount of large stages).

Short Reasoning:

The stage striking from those 9 stages prevents anyone from having an advantage or disadvantage on the first stage. No character is equally good on 5 of those stages. The prior list was overly helpful to people who liked mid-size stages; characters like Zelda, Bowser, etc., that prefer extremes were wrecked on the initial start because they are forced to start at a disadvantage.

The counterpick list is set up so that you can ban two or three stages on preference and not completely eliminate an entire stage type.

The previous list allowed for entire stage types to be banned which meant if you were good on medium sized stages you had an advantage because there are more stages of that size than the number of bans. If you liked large or small stages, you got boned.

Fair starter, equal opportunity counterpicking for entire character roster.
Long Reasoning:

If you have a particular aspect you are looking for, you won't get it but your opponent won't either. Want a "small" stage? with 4 strikes each, your opponent will surely ban Green Hill, Yoshi's, and FoD. Wnat a "large" stage? With 4 strikes each your opponent will definitely ban Skyworld, Dreamland 64, and Lylat.

Want a stage that helps your recovery? Your opponent will want to ban Smashville, Green Hill Zone, and Skyworld.

Want a stage that lets you combo across stage? Your opponent will want to get rid of PS2, Smashville, and (depending on their character) Lylat or Dreamland.

Want a stage that allows for super awesome platform setups, like Lucas' u-smash tech chase or Bowser's Claw? Your opponent will want to get rid of Yoshi's, Lylat, and Battlefield and, depending on the character, FoD.

If you're Bowser (likes small stages, needs help recovering) against a character like Diddy Kong (he likes wide, open stages that are flat/plat but abhors condensed stages), both players have decisions to make.

Bowser's recovery is aided by GHZ, Smashville, and Skyworld, but his offense game is upgraded by GHZ, Yoshi's Island, and FoD.

Strategic choices abound! The striking would go something like...

Bowser strikes PS2
Diddy strikes Yoshi's, GHZ
Bowser strikes Dreamland 64, Smashville
Diddy strikes FoD, Battlefield or Skyworld
Bowser strikes Lylat or Skyworld

As opposed to the traditional list where characters like Link or Diddy's "good" stage options are PS2, FD, Smashville, Dreamland 64 and often Battlefield while Bowser's "good" stage options are Yoshi's and FoD. Not cool. >:[

srsly though, you should try this for the event

Last edited:

Renss

Smash Rookie
It is BYOC (bring your own controller), bringing a setup always helps also. Make sure to be there on time not only for the tournament, but to get sufficient practice beforehand. Don't be afraid to jump into friendly matches by asking player to join in on a setup.
Alright, I can bring a GC but no game because mine is broke, I can also bring a 64 and Smash 64 if anyone wants to do friendlies on that. This will be my first tournament btw so go easy.

Unit583

Smash Rookie
NNID
protoman64
Alright, I can bring a GC but no game because mine is broke, I can also bring a 64 and Smash 64 if anyone wants to do friendlies on that. This will be my first tournament btw so go easy.
I'd love it if somebody brought 64!! I can bring 2 pretty good controllers if you need some.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
lawl, for all that hate for 3 bans you always flaunt, your proposal has 3 bans. Nice one OS.

Where to begin.

I'm not even going to mess with ur CPs, because they are all kinds of wack. But lets just go over your proposed starters.

These 6 are from the normal 7 starter list:
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
PS2
Smashville
FoD
Battlefield
Dreamland 64

These are new:
Green Hill Zone
Lylat
Skyworld

And FD is omitted from normal starter list.

Your logic is, the normal list favors people who favor medium size stages, and is disadvantageous to people who prefer small/big stages.

First off, it's never that simple. Your logic is terribly oversimplified; stage choices are not just based on big/small, but are more based on high/low ceiling, close/far blast zone, flatness, platform pattern, walls, etc. FD is a critical starter in that regard, the lack of platforms creates a balance with the 4 other stages that have a 3 platform pattern. Your proposed list has 5 stages that have 3 platforms, 6 if you count lyalt. Your list is skewed towards people who prefer platforms.

2ndly, what does removing FD and adding GHZ, lylat, and skyworld really do? I'll tell you what it will do; make PM take longer. And that's all it would really do. People would still end up on BF, SV, and PS2, and nothing is really going to change that.

Example: MK vs Diddy

MK strikes Lylat
Diddy strikes Yoshis, GHZ,
MK strikes Skyworld, Dreamland
Diddy strikes FoD, BF
MK chooses between SV and PS2.

Example 2: MK vs Bowser

Bowser strikes skyworld
MK strikes Yoshi's, FoD
Bowser strikes dreamland, lylat
MK strikes BF, GHZ
Bowser chooses between SV and PS2

The only thing it would do is force people to learn lylat and skyworld in case it's good in the MU.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
lawl, for all that hate for 3 bans you always flaunt, your proposal has 3 bans. Nice one OS.
3 bans is dumb. 2 bans is dumb. But it's a step in the right direction.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
To quote Pikachad on the PM stage list "Sometimes less is more".
To quote myself, "that doesn't make any sense".

There's only two possible ways to make a stage list that isn't biased towards certain character types or playstyles.

The first is to simply ban stages not fit for competitive play and leave the rest. Players pick characters that do best in these environments. Some characters have a wide variety of possible stages while some have a small variety of possibly stages; not every character is equal.

The second is to deliberately trim down the stage list so that it is evenly distributed and its a fair shake for all characters. This is extremely difficult to do but can theoretically be done. So far it has yet to be attempted by anyone though.

If you arbitrarily decide "I want only battlefield and batltefield clones as stages" you have to be willing to accept that you're arbitrarily giving some characters advantages and other characters disadvantages.

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
First off trim down the battlefields. Second off remove the jank. 5 starters and 5 cps 2 bans for 2-3 1 ban for 3-5. Having a ****ton of stages is bad for competitive growth, but having the same stage architype for like 7 stages is worse.

Renss

Smash Rookie
Turns out I won't be able to make it this week, so forget the 64 stuff. I'll try to be at the next one.

Tyranitarphantom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SwitcherooTtar
See you all tomorrow. I'll be bringing S2, SP~, and Earl. I'll also have two full setups, one for Melee, and one for PM. We'll be showing up by the time singles registration closes.

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
I'll be in Cincinnati for this weekend. Is it viable to take public transportation here from downtown Cincinnati?
There is a metro that goes to the meijer within a couple miles of gameswap. I would post in the facebook group to get a ride from someone coming that way.

Zad

Smash Apprentice
I might be attending with my brother and a few friends.

Last edited:

Zad

Smash Apprentice
Will definitely make my way out to this event if everyone in my area can get off work for it.

Last edited:

Mattatari

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
MATT#715
NNID
TheSaiyanKid
3DS FC
0817-5200-0570
Trying to decide if I should make the trip. Is it worth it?

Mattatari

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
MATT#715
NNID
TheSaiyanKid
3DS FC
0817-5200-0570
Definitely. We have a lot of fun and normally a great turnout at these.

Is Pataskala somewhere close to Columbus? If so, you may be able to get a carpool with someone.

Yeah its right outside of Columbus lol. How do I find that out?

Master WGS

Smash Lord
I have enjoyed every CSR I've attended, and have been really sad that the last, like, three have fallen on days I can't be there. This next one is following suit, and I'll be out of town likely for the one after that. :(

I'LL BE BACK SOMEDAY.

PeppyWil

Smash Ace
Decent chance I'll be down there this weekend, barring any school or health tomfoolery (which is possible). I'll see what I can do about Dayton people.

Mattatari

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
MATT#715
NNID
TheSaiyanKid
3DS FC
0817-5200-0570
I am able to make the trip. If I go, this will be my first tournament. What can I expect?

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
I am able to make the trip. If I go, this will be my first tournament. What can I expect?
Oi, it's a lot of fun mate. Don't be afraid to come up and talk to people and join in friendly matches, we don't bite. Games can get pretty competetive when it draws farther down into bracket, but the most important thing around here is the community and having a good time together when at the tournament.

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
Is there any chance at all that we can do some PM dubs as well? even just a side bracket?
I don't have enough time for another event to add PM doubles. Melee doubles hales over PM doubles because the melee doubles always has a higher turn out for people.

Kel

Smash Master
Heads up that our general group will not be attending. We will be going to the renaissance festival about a half hour north of Mason.

Other people are welcome to meet us there. We do it every year and it's a good excuse for nerds to see the day orb.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Also on 11th I'm doing a 16 man house tournament (week after Smash 4, already booked); I plan on doing either monthlies or bi-weeklies depending on tournament population and availability of venues is, but I'll be sending you a PM after the 11th so we can figure out when to have Smash 4 tournaments without overlap.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Aw, why'd it change from 18th to 25th? Same weekend as Hilt's tournament. :(

Top Bottom