• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pacific West [February 12th, 2016] The Training Room Smash Lab (Pomona, CA) (READ OP PLEASE)

I'm iffy about wireless controllers, but I've been asked plenty. Should they be allowed?

• Yes

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Qiom

Smash Cadet
NNID
Qiom12
3DS FC
4382-3384-7543
Come show your support for the smash community!!! We'll be streaming the tournament on twitch and I will be uploading matches to youtube once it's over! Remember, these wins count towards PR.

twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/TheTrainingRoomPomona
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMFN_4vTo7R3acxQgBBwfRQ
challonge: http://thetrainingroom.challonge.com/SLWU1
gofundme: gofund.me/z6g7p8n3

Address: 164 East 2nd Street, Pomona, CA

$5 venue fee
$5 for singles

Please respect the venue! There have been many people leaving trash everywhere and I was told that if that continues, outside drinks and food will not be allowed inside.

Times:
5pm: venue is open (might be earlier)
6pm: side event
7pm: singles
IF YOU KNOW YOU WILL BE LATE, GIVE ME A PHONE CALL ASAP

Venue fee waiver:
$5.00 off venue fee for bringing setup (must include tv/monitor, Wii U with smash 4, gc adaptor, Dreamland, and all DLC characters
YOU WILL ONLY GET THE WAIVER IF WE USE YOUR SET-UP
We'll have room for 8-12 set-ups, so we'll probably use it if you bring it.
If you're bringing a set-up, please come early. Also, if we get at least 8 setups, providers will get a free water or soda. Also, if we get 10 or more, stations 10, 11, and 12 will be for friendlies from the very beginning, so it's non-stop smashing!

Rules:
We're going to have at least 3 stations set up, each with a gamecube adaptor. We will have 1 gamecube controller to spare (but it's kinda ****ty)

1) Game Settings: 1-on-1, 2 Stock, 6 Minute Time Limit, Items Off, Equipment Off, 2/3 Games
Double elimination, so there will be a losers and winners bracket

2) Available Stages: Starter Stages
● Battlefield (Miiverse)
● Final Destination
● Smashville
Counterpick Stages
● Duck Hunt
● Lylat Cruise
● Delfino Plaza
● Town and City

3) First stage is decided by banning from the Starter Stages in P1(1)-P2(1). P1 is decided by Rock, Paper, Scissors.

4) Winning player is not locked into the same character for the next match, but has to pick before loser selects character.

5) NO CUSTOMS ALLOWED. Mii fighters are allowed, but only guest Miis with 1111 moveset.

6) If you can, bring your own controller. FOR WIRELESS CONTROLLER USERS: If your controller disconnects, you WILL forfeit that round, so please be wary.

7) Winners' prizes will be for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, and will be payouts of 60/30/10 percent of the total entry pot.(See end note)

8) Report all rule infractions IMMEDIATELY. If you continue to play the set, it becomes grounds for accepting the infraction and making it unaccountable. If the other person tries to force you to continue playing, put down the controller and let me know. The opposing player will be dealt with.

END NOTE: I have been informed that some people want prizes for more than just 1st, 2nd, 3rd. In order to make it fair, I will adjust the payout depending on the amount of entrants. Here are the changes:
40+: Pot distributions for top 4
50+: Pot distribution for top 5

If you have any questions, concerns, or comments, contact me, David Mejia. Feel free to contact me through facebook, phone, or email. I might be busy, but I will most definitely answer or call back within a 24 hour period. If you're calling me directly, I prefer any time before 5pm, as I will most likely be working.
CONTACT INFO:
email: TheTrainingRoomPomona@yahoo.com
phone number (text preferred): (909)242-3639
Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/TheTrainingRoomPomona

Last edited:

Saviorr

Smash Cadet
I hope Wii U pro controllers are allowed. I know the syncing can be a problem but that's no reason to exclude those who stopped using the old gamecube controllers.

I am very interested in having tournaments hosted in Upland. Are there gonna be more tournaments in the future?

Qiom

Smash Cadet
NNID
Qiom12
3DS FC
4382-3384-7543
I hope Wii U pro controllers are allowed. I know the syncing can be a problem but that's no reason to exclude those who stopped using the old gamecube controllers.

I am very interested in having tournaments hosted in Upland. Are there gonna be more tournaments in the future?
I ultimately decided that wireless controllers are ok. I even have people saying they only use the 3DS. If your controller disconnects, however, you will have to forfeit that round, so please keep that in mind. I am planning on having tournaments every other Friday, but if we generate enough interest, We will host them weekly. So let all your friends know!

\\ArT oF wAr//

Smash Rookie
NNID
GibleLikesToBite
Do I have to pay to get in or it is free? I am already aware of the gamecube adapter policy.

Qiom

Smash Cadet
NNID
Qiom12
3DS FC
4382-3384-7543
Do I have to pay to get in or it is free? I am already aware of the gamecube adapter policy.
I forgot to put in the price, sorry!
It's $10 total, $5 goes into the winners' pot.

Qiom

Smash Cadet
NNID
Qiom12
3DS FC
4382-3384-7543
Do I sign up in the website or do I just get in on the 26.
You can put that you're going on the facebook page so I can get an idea of how many people are going, but you don't have to pay until the 26th.

\\ArT oF wAr//

Smash Rookie
NNID
GibleLikesToBite
Can I just email you whether I am going or not or do I really have to go to facebook?

BriefCasey795

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AwesomeCasey
3DS FC
4382-2575-1384
Is Dream Land 64 available, if so, is it legal or banned? Also, what stages are counter pick and neutral?

Qiom

Smash Cadet
NNID
Qiom12
3DS FC
4382-3384-7543
Can I just email you whether I am going or not or do I really have to go to facebook?
You can email if you'd like, or if you're close to Upland, there's a physical sign-in sheet.

Is Dream Land 64 available, if so, is it legal or banned? Also, what stages are counter pick and neutral?
Dreamland will be available as a neutral pick, along with Battlefield, FD, Smashville, and Town & City. The rest are counter-picks.

BriefCasey795

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AwesomeCasey
3DS FC
4382-2575-1384
So will this be weekly? I won't be able to make it today. :(

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533
Can you please give us an address. Also, will you be having a tournament on tuesday because I have work Friday - Sunday.

Qiom

Smash Cadet
NNID
Qiom12
3DS FC
4382-3384-7543
So will this be weekly? I won't be able to make it today. :(
I'll be doing it every two weeks, so you'll have other chances. The next tournament is on July 10th.

Can you please give us an address. Also, will you be having a tournament on tuesday because I have work Friday - Sunday.
I'm sorry, but it's currently only on Fridays. Those are the only days I have off, since I have two jobs.

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533
I'll be doing it every two weeks, so you'll have other chances. The next tournament is on July 10th.

I'm sorry, but it's currently only on Fridays. Those are the only days I have off, since I have two jobs.
Alright, ty for the info.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
I would like to join this but I'm not feeling like spending 8 hours on the road just to get there, although it would be nice to get back into the tourney scene...

Qiom

Smash Cadet
NNID
Qiom12
3DS FC
4382-3384-7543
I would like to join this but I'm not feeling like spending 8 hours on the road just to get there, although it would be nice to get back into the tourney scene...
What area do you live in?

MisterCaz

Smash Rookie
I'm very interested in this tournament, since I live merely an hour away. A few questions though:
1. Must I RSVP beforehand(as in notify that I am coming)? The reason I ask is because you had stated earlier that I can pay the day of, but you never said we can sign up, so my OCD kicks in and I must ask.
2. Will the new DLC characters(Lucas, Ryu, Roy) be allowed?
3. What are the rules on profanity? I know it's a weird question, but I ask mainly in interest of names(I am NOT one to trash talk). As a joke my friend and I have two specific names we use in Smash 4 that some might not find to be the most... er-, family-friendly. But we have used the names at other tournaments and people loved 'em, some even chanted my name, though they censored the cuss word for the chant.
I also would like to know so I know if I need to have a general etiquette at the tournament, because as lighthearted about language I like to be, I don't ever aim to offend.
4. And lastly, how do you put together your brackets? I've seen them be put together through a randomizer and through just in the order people arrive. The reason I ask this is because I would rather not run into everybody I come with in the first 3 rounds.

Regardless of answers given, I am excited to join in this, if not July 10th, another Friday. Thank you for your time

Qiom

Smash Cadet
NNID
Qiom12
3DS FC
4382-3384-7543
I'm very interested in this tournament, since I live merely an hour away. A few questions though:
1. Must I RSVP beforehand(as in notify that I am coming)? The reason I ask is because you had stated earlier that I can pay the day of, but you never said we can sign up, so my OCD kicks in and I must ask.
2. Will the new DLC characters(Lucas, Ryu, Roy) be allowed?
3. What are the rules on profanity? I know it's a weird question, but I ask mainly in interest of names(I am NOT one to trash talk). As a joke my friend and I have two specific names we use in Smash 4 that some might not find to be the most... er-, family-friendly. But we have used the names at other tournaments and people loved 'em, some even chanted my name, though they censored the cuss word for the chant.
I also would like to know so I know if I need to have a general etiquette at the tournament, because as lighthearted about language I like to be, I don't ever aim to offend.
4. And lastly, how do you put together your brackets? I've seen them be put together through a randomizer and through just in the order people arrive. The reason I ask this is because I would rather not run into everybody I come with in the first 3 rounds.

Regardless of answers given, I am excited to join in this, if not July 10th, another Friday. Thank you for your time

1. You don't have to RSVP, but it would be nice. Even if you do, you still don't have to pay the day of. Also, if you'll be running late, please let me know before 6pm.
2. DLC characters will be allowed.
3. If your name has profanity, it's ok as long as it's not overboard. Someone's name was "Ass" last tournament. Also, no racial slurs allowed as names at all. As for lighthearted banter, it's fine. There are some young people that enter, though, so please use your better judgment to see who might not be able to take the banter.
4.I use challonge to randomize the brackets, then I edit them according to who lets me know they came together. As long as you let me know when you sign up, I'll do the best I can to prevent people playing each other too soon.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Thanks for your interest, I hope to see you there!

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
What area do you live in?
I live in Lemoore, CA... dead center desert of no where cali. Plus I work till around 3~4 depending if my boss is feeling nice that day. I can try to go and either start late or catch friendlies but the problem is the hours on the road.

MisterCaz

Smash Rookie
Hey there! Another question seeing as your last tournament went pretty late, how late do you expect this one to go?

I mean I'm a night owl so I'm fine with being out late but my buddy tends to get tired, so I'd like to know. Thanks.

Last edited:

Qiom

Smash Cadet
NNID
Qiom12
3DS FC
4382-3384-7543
Hey there! Another question seeing as your last tournament went pretty late, how late do you expect this one to go?

I mean I'm a night owl so I'm fine with being out late but my buddy tends to get tired, so I'd like to know. Thanks.
I'll have more set-ups this time around, the arcade owner is ok with 4, but I'm fighting to get 5 setups so it can be even faster.

BriefCasey795

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AwesomeCasey
3DS FC
4382-2575-1384
So are there any status updates on the setups since the tourney's this Friday? I'm positive I'm going this time.

Qiom

Smash Cadet
NNID
Qiom12
3DS FC
4382-3384-7543
So are there any status updates on the setups since the tourney's this Friday? I'm positive I'm going this time.
Yes, we can have up to 6 set-ups now, we worked things out.

BriefCasey795

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AwesomeCasey
3DS FC
4382-2575-1384
Oh cool. So how many do you have so far? I might bring my Wii U if it's needed. (I wouldn't call it a setup since I don't have a TV I can move around, assuming a setup includes TVs)

Last edited:

Qiom

Smash Cadet
NNID
Qiom12
3DS FC
4382-3384-7543
Oh cool. So how many do you have so far? I might bring my Wii U if it's needed. (I wouldn't call it a setup since I don't have a TV I can move around, assuming a setup includes TVs)
We have 4 so far. Set-ups will be used on a first come, first serve basis. Some people are bringing full set-ups (including tv) and those who do will get their venue fee waived if we use it. If you just bring a Wii U and we end up using it, we can discount $2 from your venue fee.

Last edited:

BriefCasey795

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AwesomeCasey
3DS FC
4382-2575-1384
Just wondering, but will there be a cap for the tourney?

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
Sorry, I dont think I'll be able to make it in time for the tourney. :( And the drive is too far for friendlies

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
It's okay, I'll try and shoot for the next one if that's okay.

Qiom

Smash Cadet
NNID
Qiom12
3DS FC
4382-3384-7543
Alright, see you next time!

BriefCasey795

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AwesomeCasey
3DS FC
4382-2575-1384
No cap, we'll be able do run it smoothly.
I take you've reached 6 setups? That sounds wonderful if you have. Otherwise, might consider bringing mine if no one else will.

Qiom

Smash Cadet
NNID
Qiom12
3DS FC
4382-3384-7543
I take you've reached 6 setups? That sounds wonderful if you have. Otherwise, might consider bringing mine if no one else will.
You should bring yours to be on the safe side. Do you have all the DLC and a gc adaptor?

BriefCasey795

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AwesomeCasey
3DS FC
4382-2575-1384
I have all DLC characters and I have Dream Land, and yes, I have the GC controller adapter.

Should be able to bring Wii U, AC adapter, Gamepad and charger, and HDMI cable.

Should I bring my Wii AV cables in case you run short on HDMI compatible TVs, or do you think you'll have enough TVs for all setups? Also, if a Wii U alone is $2 off the venue fee, will it be any different if the cables are brought along?

Last edited:

Qiom

Smash Cadet
NNID
Qiom12
3DS FC
4382-3384-7543
I have all DLC characters and I have Dream Land, and yes, I have the GC controller adapter.

Should be able to bring Wii U, AC adapter, Gamepad and charger, and HDMI cable.

Should I bring my Wii AV cables in case you run short on HDMI compatible TVs, or do you think you'll have enough TVs for all setups? Also, if a Wii U alone is $2 off the venue fee, will it be any different if the cables are brought along?
By Wii U, I mean all the cables and gc adaptor. Usually, Wii U means the full set up without a tv.

BriefCasey795

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AwesomeCasey
3DS FC
4382-2575-1384
So how much off the venue fee is it? Again, I'm not sure if I'll still be able to bring it, though.

(Might be a good idea to post this info in the OP)

Last edited:

Qiom

Smash Cadet
NNID
Qiom12
3DS FC
4382-3384-7543
So how much off the venue fee is it? Again, I'm not sure if I'll still be able to bring it, though.

(Might be a good idea to post this info in the OP)
I'll add it to OP. The way it works is $2.00 off for Wii U (must include cables, gc adaptor, all DLC and stages.), $2.00 off for TV, or $5 off for both. It's to encourage people bringing fully complete set-ups, but also considering bringing a half set-up.

BriefCasey795

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AwesomeCasey
3DS FC
4382-2575-1384
Ah, okay, and my last question is this: if someone is coming just to spectate, will they have to pay the venue fee? I might have 2 friends coming along to watch.

Qiom

Smash Cadet
NNID
Qiom12
3DS FC
4382-3384-7543
Ah, okay, and my last question is this: if someone is coming just to spectate, will they have to pay the venue fee? I might have 2 friends coming along to watch.
Ok, I'll be honest with you. They have to pay venue fee, but if they spend a dollar or two at the arcade, it's fine.

BriefCasey795

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AwesomeCasey
3DS FC
4382-2575-1384
Right then. See you tomorrow at the tourney, and good luck to those coming!

Last edited:
Top Bottom