• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Dec 27, 2014] Overswarm's private Smash 4 House Tournament 2! (Taylor Mill, KY)

Overswarm

is laughing at you

This is a -private- tournament for people who are going to want to get into Smash 4 in the midwest, specifically the Cincinnati area. I don't want people traveling all over the friggin' place and filling up my house, but I want to give nearby areas (Springfield, Columbus, Louisville, Lexington, whatever is close in Indiana, etc.) a chance to sign up.

This will be run as a legitimate tournament, except there is a limit of up to 16 to those who can attend. I may allow more than 16 for events in certain circumstances, but not always. Below you will see an "Attendees for (date)" list. If you're on that list, you're expected to show up, sans a ? by your name. Below that is a "sign up list". Simply post in the thread that you are interested in attending and I will add you to the sign-up list for events. If you typically travel with a group, please post the entire group in a single post so I know to group them together (so if I have 3 spots open I don't invite 3 of your group of 4).

If you are interested in attending this tournament series, please post in the thread and clearly indicate your interest to be added to the list.

I will contact you via PM on Smashboards and/or IM via facebook if you are a confirmed entrant in the event. Being an entrant in one event does not automatically make you an entrant in future events, but consistent attendance helps your chances. If you sign up for an event and say "I can go" and then do not show up or give me short notice that you cannot attend, this greatly hurts your chances. Please do not fill up a slot if you are unsure of your schedule.

Should these events be successful, they will continue for some time.

Tournament Information:

Time: Signup from 12:00-1:00, then we start afterwards.
If you need to contact me, call 859-322-2713.

Entry fee: $15
($5 Singles, $5 Doubles, $5 Venue fee)

Venue fee goes towards drinks, food, and snacks, which will be provided. If you have specific requests, let me know in advance and I'll do what I can - first requests served first. Any extra money will be used towards pot bonuses for traditional events or fixing things you guys break in my house. If you have any allergies, please let me know beforehand so I do not kill you. I do have a dog (dachshund), so if you are allergic to dogs you will be unhappy.

Please be responsible while at the event. Excessive drunkeness, drug use, or any illegal activities are not allowed and you will be removed from the venue.

Due to the nature of the venue, if you are under the age of 18 you will need to contact me prior to attending so your parents can give you permission. If you are under 18 and I do not have your parents' permission for you to be a the venue, you will not be allowed to enter the venue or stay on the premises. Sorry.

Everyone should bring their own 3DS + Copy of Smash 4. If you do NOT bring your own 3DS/Game, you must make your own plans to borrow someone else's. You are responsible for your own system!

Due to the invite nature of this tournament, ALL PLAYERS MUST ENTER DOUBLES AND SINGLES. If you do not want to enter both, this is not the tournament to attend!

I repeat: YOU CANNOT ATTEND UNLESS YOU ARE ENTERING BOTH DOUBLES AND SINGLES.

If for some reason there is an odd number and someone is unable to play doubles, $5 will be refunded to them.

TOURNAMENT RULES:

• Game Settings: 3 Stocks, 8 Minute Time Limit, Best of 3 Games.
  • Items are disabled.
  • The act of stalling is banned and constitutes intentionally making the game unplayable. Examples include becoming perpetually invisible, continuing infinites/chain grabs/uninterruptable moves past 300%, and/or reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
  • Should you believe your opponent is stalling, please call for a TO so that it may be observed
  • Any attempt at inducing lag on purpose (such as covering the infrared sensor with their finger) may result in a DQ. Accidental issues may result in the player being given a warning with consistent offenders removed from bracket. Mind those fingers!
  • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
  • Pause option is disabled in the game menu. If left on, accidental pausing mid match forfeits a stock. Players may both agree to unpause with no penalty. If the TO believes a player is being coerced unfairly ("I won't give you a ride home"), the TO may make the decision for the players and the player guilty of coercion may be permanently barred from the tournament series.
  • You may not choose a stage you have won on during a set, unless agreed by both players.
  • Final Destination and all variants are all considered to be the same stage for stage selection purposes
  • If time runs outs the tie is determined by most stocks, and then if still tied, by percentage.
  • If the match ends with time running out with both players at equal percent and stock, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage.
  • If a match is ended via suicide move, the victory screen indicates the winner.
  • Coaching, when done respectfully, is allowed during and after a match (it's to help us learn!)
  • CUSTOM MOVESETS ARE LEGAL. You are responsible for knowing what Custom Moves do!
  • All Custom Moves must be set up BEFORE your set. You may not go back to set up custom moves after a set has already begun. If you need a custom moveset (or all) loaded onto a Wii U, let the TO know.
  • EQUIPMENT IS BANNED.
  • One stage ban. None of that PM scrubbiness of banning multiple stages. You get one.
  • Breaks from tournament matches are limited to a reasonable timeframe as determined by the TO on location. In the middle of a set, this is one 2 minute break per set. If you continually stall between matches to rest your mind/hands or calm your nerves, it will make the tournament drag on. Consistent offenders will be DQed from bracket with no refund at the TOs discretion. Be ready for your matches!
  • Color Blind Rule: If you or a teammate have a color-based disability, you may request your opponent use a different team color skin (example being a sonic and lucario team being indistinguishable due to team color choice)
  • Color Camo Rule: If you are playing in teams, your opponents may request you not play a color that is the same as their team color. (Example: Red team vs. Blue team, the blue team may request the red team not play as blue ZSS and light blue G&W)
Stage List

Work in progress! Expect additions and subractions and moving stuff around from starter to non-starter. I'm still testing these stages, so if you see one of these stages and say "WHAT?! What about...", let me know. I might not know something!

Starter Stages
Skyloft
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Battlefield
Town and City
Smashville
Final Destination

Counterpick Stages
Duck Hunt
Kongo Jungle 64
Pokemon Stadium 2
Mario Circuit (Wii U)
Big Battlefield (Doubles Only)Wuhu Island (Doubles Only)
Omega Stages*

*Omega stages and FD are the same, if FD is banned they're all banned

Seeding

Seeding is the act of creating a fair bracket that encourages competitive play and a fun experience for all. The purpose is to prevent people from playing those they consistently play (location) or giving anyone an unfair advantage (this includes the good players!)

If you have an issue with the seeding due to location-based complaints ("I drove him here and I play him first round!") or skill-based complaints ("We both got one seed, and now we're playing first round!"), let the TO know ASAP. Once ANY matches have been played in the affected area(s), no changes can be made under any circumstances. It is the player's responsibility to notify the TO of any discrepancies.

The player does NOT have the right to see brackets, pools, result sheets, or anything of the sort at any time during the tournament.

This tournament series is pools only and will be using the "Pool Seeding" format below. For our first tournament, original pools will be entirely randomized sans-location as we have no prior knowledge of Smash 4 skill.

Whenever "random" is referred to, assume this uses a random generator such as random.org

Pool Seeding

Original pools will be divided into appropriate amounts by the TO and a single "one" seed will be determined for each pool.

The "one" seed is meant to signify a skilled player and is set to reduce variance -- that means prevent the possibility of all the best players playing in the same pool. The one seed will be determined either by Circuit/Event Ranking, past tournament results in this and/or other regions, or direct knowledge of the TO (e.g., 'he's mew2king, he gets a one seed') if there are no concrete examples. The TO should signify in advance what this method should be whenever possible.

After the one seeds have been selected, players will be separated by location and randomly assigned to pools so that they play people from different locations. In the event that there are large numbers of a single region, thus requiring overlap, the smaller regions will be distributed first and then the larger region(s) will be distributed randomly.

In the event of single users from different locations or far-off travelers, extra care will be spent to make sure they are not seeded with those they are staying with / teaming with as a replacement for their location. (Example: Ally is from Canada, but decides to stay in Michigan, thus he would be seeded as Michigan in this instance)

In the event that the TO has a large number of "unknown" players and/or an unsure selection of one seeds, pools will be entirely randomized after accounting for location.
In any situation in which a seedable player may be placed in a certain pool, his initial random pool will his finalized pool unless he needs to be moved due to a location-based issue. Skill is not accounted for after the one seed is selected in original pools.

Pool rankings are determined in this order:
  1. Set Wins
  2. Game Wins
  3. Game Losses (less games lost = winner)
  4. Head-to-Head (who beat who)
  5. In the event of a 3-way-tie or other multi-way-tie, repeat steps 1-4 using only scores for those in the tie (do not count their win/loss against other players outside of the tie)
  6. In the event of a 3-way-tie or other multi-way-tie, Mini pool, best of 1, among all tied parties
  7. In the event of a perpetual tie, the TO reserves the right to advance all or none of the tied parties, replacing them with a bye or expanding the bracket or pools to accommodate them

After the initial pools are complete, the tournament will then use the placements from those pools to seed subsequent pools or a bracket.

For all subsequent pools, location is no longer considered. The only things considered in further pool placements are players previously in a pool together and pool seed. Two players that drove together will potentially find each other in second round pools.

There is no guarantee that you will not play someone from your original pool in subsequent pools.

In the event off odd numbers or uneven distribution (6 in one pool, 7 in another), players will be randomly assigned once the TO runs into that roadblock.

Example: 4 pools of 4 (Pool a, b, c, d) with top 2 advancing result in 8 total players, 4 one seeds and 4 two seeds. (1a, 2a, 1b, 2b, etc.) The next pools would likely be 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b and 1c, 1d, 2c, 2d.

Bracket Seeding
Bracket seeding will be done by placing people in accordance to their seed, as shown here:

The seeds will be determined either by Pool results from the tournament in question, Circuit/Event Ranking, past tournament results in this and/or other regions, or direct knowledge of the TO (e.g., 'he's mew2king, he gets a one seed') if there are no concrete examples. The TO should signify in advance what this method should be whenever possible.

In the event that there are large numbers of a single region, thus requiring overlap, the smaller regions will be distributed first and then the larger region(s) will be distributed by seeding. In the event of single users from different locations or far-off travelers, extra care will be spent to make sure they are not seeded with those they are staying with / teaming with as a replacement for their location. (Example: Ally is from Canada, but decides to stay in Michigan, thus he would be seeded as Michigan in this instance)

In the likely result that seeding involves groups of the same seed (e.g., 4 one seeds, 4 two seeds, etc., etc.), players will be randomized into the appropriate placements (e.g., 4 first seeds would go into the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th seed spots above). That means all equal seeds are treated equally -- if Mew2king and Mango go to a local tournament and share a one seed with two local players, they will be randomized into the one seed placements.

For first round only, location can be used as a determining factor to switch two members of the same seed. A tertiary switch (put player A in player B's spot then player C in player B's new spot and player B in player C's spot) should never be required.

Once a bracket has been started, no changes to the bracket will be made.

SINGLES:

3 stock, best 2/3.
8 minute timer

Tournament format will be 16 players, 4 pools of 4, 3 advance. Sorry to those who are eliminated first round! Any additional players added to the player list above 16 will be added onto existing pools, top 3 still advance.

12 players in second round, 2 pools of 6, top 3 advance. Sorry to those who are eliminated second round!

6 players in third round, one pool of 6, placements determined from results. Sorry to those who don't make money.

If the player count is different enough to merit different pools, the above may be altered to compensate for time and fairness.

Payouts (assumed 16 entrants):
1- 40% ($32)
2 - 30% ($24)
3 - 20% ($16)
4 - 10% ($8)

(Each player gets $8 more than the place below them in a 16 man tournament)

If less than 10 show up (meaning 4th getting 10% would not get their money back), only top 3 will be paid.

DOUBLES:
Tournament format will be 8 teams of 2, mandatory. All players will be entering doubles.

3 stock, best 2/3.
8 minute timer

Two pools of 4 teams, top 2 advance.

One pool of 4 teams. Placements get money.

Payouts (assumed 8 teams):
1- 40% ($32pp)
2 - 30% ($24pp)
3 - 20% ($16pp)
4 - 10% ($8pp)

Match Procedure
    • Players select their characters. Either player may choose to Blind Pick. In this case, each player secretly tells a third player their character before picking with the third player verifying their selections.
    • Players play Rock-Paper-Scissors. Winner chooses between selecting controller port, color, host, or first Stage Strike. Players may agree to a coin flip as an alternative, but the default is RPS.
    • Players take turns removing stages from the Starter Stages list above based upon the results of the previous rule. The first player to strike removes one(1) stage from the list, the second player removes one(1), continuing until there are no stages left.
    • Custom Moves, if used, must be announced to the opponent if it is requested
    • The players play the first match of the set
    • Winning player of the preceding match bans a single stage from the full list of stages (Starter and Counter-Pick). This ban is only chosen once and lasts for the entire set. Neither player can pick a banned stage at any point unless agreed to by both players. Please note that all Final Destination forms and Final Destination itself are considered the same stage.
    • The Losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match. Cannot choose the stage banned by either player in the previous step, nor a stage they've already won on during this set, unless agreed upon by all players.
    • The winning player of the preceding match may choose to change characters and select their custom moves.
    • Custom Moves, if used, must be announced to the opponent if it is requested
    • The losing player of the preceding match may choose to change characters and select their custom moves.
    • The losing player of the preceding match may change their controller port/host.
    • The next match is played
    • Repeat Steps 5 through 10 for all subsequent matches until the set is complete.

Attendees for Dec 27th:

1. Overswarm
  2. Kel
  3. Kassandra
  4. Daycia
  5. Saeed
  6. Infern Angelis
  7. Y.b.M.
  8. Amida
  9. Kero
  10. Hilt?
  11. DtJ Squid
  12. DtJ Composer

Sign-up for events:
  1. Overswarm
  2. Kel
  3. Sneaky Tako
  4. Risner
  5. Lumi
  6. Sorasin
  7. Mister Eric
  8. Ragu
  9. KassandraNova
  10. DtJ Composer
  11. Absol
  12. Village Mascot
  13. Shadow The Past
  14. Ralph Cecil
  15. Russy
  16. Dr. X
  17. Kaata
  18. DraikRowan
  19. Wario's Waftbox
  20. Sai
  21. Daycia
  22. Kero
  23. Amida
  24. Airborne

Last edited:

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Hyped!

I'm really good at smash 4 btw. So who would like to team with me?

Luminoth64

Smash Ace
Aww yeah! This is gonna be a really great tournament (series).

Anyone who signs up for this is guaranteed good competition and practice!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Yup. Me.

This is the same kind of thing I wanted to run near the opening of the game so this'll be fun
Let me know when you know for sure you'll be able to go, and also anyone who might be riding with you (don't want to be like "sure, come on down" and only have one slot for you but none for people in your car!)

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
I am interested in entering this tournament series. I only live about 11 minutes away as well so transportation would be simple. I'm ashamed to admit that I only played the 3DS demo at Best Buy for Sheik and only Sheik. Completely ignored the Wii U demo.

Last edited:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
added you both to the list; as we get closer to the event date I'll send PMs to those I'm invited. Apologies to any and all who do not get invited - it sucks to have to exclude people but my house can only hold so many. :(

I'll try to make sure everyone gets a chance that wants to attend.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Glad to hear this all from everyone! Please keep in mind that if you let me know you want to show up but don't list anyone else with you, I might accidentally sign you up but not people you'd want to take with you! Make sure to post all the people you'd be bringing with you.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Attendees now maxed out for Oct. 11th! If you wanted to go but didn't not get to sign up for Oct. 11th, let me know and I'll add you to the list. If one of the above drops out, we'll need a replacement!

• Overswarm
  • Kel
  • Sneaky Tako
  • Risner
  • Lumi
  • Sorasin
  • Mister Eric
  • ShadowThePast
  • KassandraNova
  • Absol
  • Ralph Cecil
  • DtJ Composer
  • Dr. X
  • Ragu
  • Village Mascot
  • Russy

Above is the list of players for Oct. 11th

These are the people that I know of that do not have a teammate in that list:

• Ralph Cecil
  • DtJ Composer
  • Dr. X
  • Ragu
  • Village Mascot
  • Russy

Since teams are required, make sure to find a teammate from that list ASAP! I have color coded who is teaming with who (or at least so I have been told) in the main post. If you are set to team with someone in the main post and this is NOT correct, let me know ASAP.

If for any reason you cannot attend or if you were going to travel with a whole car full of people and forgot to tell me (!) and want to wait until a later date, etc., etc., let me know and I'll put you on the list for next time. Please do not wait until the last minute.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Feel free to confirm teamage in thread of via PM to me, I'll update main post then.

No one is locked into their teammate until day of, this is just for convenience sake.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
I'd like to go to this if someone else can't make it. I have a Japanese 3DS so I will have about 4 weeks of experience with the game prior to this event.
I'm Katakiri btw. The name, Kaata, is just temporary.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Russ just mentioned he is now unable to go, so, I guess you're in. :)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
This is coming up soon! If you are suddenly unable to attend for any reason, please let me know ASAP so I can fill the roster. If you are interested in going I can add you to the contacts list for future events and in case someone drops out.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Oh, I just noticed this but this is 4 stocks? Why 4 stocks?
It's the first smash 3DS tournament and it's capped at a low number of players, so it's an opportunity to be experimental. More stocks is typically better (less variance in results) but we typically can't play many stocks due to how long tournaments can run. Running this as a 4 stock tournament will allow us to see how long these sets will typically take in comparison to 3 and 2 stock. Since we have a 1:1 setup/player ratio and a limited number of entrants, we can run a higher number of stock with no issues.

More stock will also allow us to see the variance based on stages. If it turns out that Little Mac is amazing on a Final Destination-esque stage, the "gap" between the stocks will be more apparent -- this will help with determining if a stage can be considered a CP for or against a character.

More stock also allows us to see variance caused by stages. If we play on Rainbow Road and it is determined that the cars are KO monsters, we'll see exactly how much of a KO monster they are by comparing matchups on that stages in comparison to the same stages on other stages. This means that "borderline" stages will be less fuzzy (hopefully).

Future tournaments will use this data to determine what amount of stock / stages is appropriate.

EDIT:

Also, since we're doing pools only, this means that some people are eliminated in the first round -- typically half. That always sucks, but playing with 4 stock means that if we have 4 pools of 4, even getting 2-0'd by everyone else would result in 24 stocks of gametime for that player at a minimum, which grants more playtime "in tournament".

Last edited:

Kel

Smash Master
I recommend adding a clause to your rules section regarding lag manipulation via intentionally covering the infrared sensor.

It's something that is hard to call out someone on, but if we have strict rules from the beginning it is less likely to ever be an issue. My suggestion would be to have it stated in the rules that if a TO or judge sees the (malicious) action that disciplinary action will be taken right away. However, if a player or spectator suspects lag manipulation, a TO or judge should be called over and he/she should then watch the match more closely.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Rule added: If you intentionally cover up the infrared sensor you have to eat overswarm's hamburger creation known only as "the devil burger".

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
Okay that makes sense. I don't see a problem with pools either. Nice thinking about the intentional lag clause Kelly. I forgot that even if it's a small tournament sometimes people like to be butts.

DrakeRowan

Just call me "Rowan"
3DS FC
3668-9905-1901
If anyone is willing to pick me up from Lou, I'd go. Ah dang, 16 man tourney only, oh well. But still, if anyone does end up dropping out, I'm interested.

Last edited:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
If anyone is willing to pick me up from Lou, I'd go. Ah dang, 16 man tourney only, oh well. But still, if anyone does end up dropping out, I'm interested.
I will add you to the list for future events!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Updated rule list a little bit, highlighted some possibly unfamiliar rules in yellow.

Created first round pools for singles for the 11th. If any extra players are added on the event date, they'll be added at random to existing pools.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Ragu told me he's going to be out of town on the 11th, so we have room for another. Rowan, do you have a ride up north here? If not you'll have to wait for another event since we only have room for one at this time.

Does anyone else want to join in the 16th spot?

DrakeRowan

Just call me "Rowan"
3DS FC
3668-9905-1901
Ragu told me he's going to be out of town on the 11th, so we have room for another. Rowan, do you have a ride up north here? If not you'll have to wait for another event since we only have room for one at this time.

Does anyone else want to join in the 16th spot?
No, unfortunately; unless if there's someone here willing to do it.

Kel

Smash Master
Updated rule list a little bit, highlighted some possibly unfamiliar rules in yellow.

Created first round pools for singles for the 11th. If any extra players are added on the event date, they'll be added at random to existing pools.
Ugh, I can't believe I have to play people from my city first round. Typical non-Michigan tournament =\

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
Forgot to post this, but i'm teaming with Composer. :o Not sure if he had told you yet or not since our names were still normal on the attendance list.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
My wife and my brother (LunaLang and Scarecrow) are going to be in attendance as alternates in case people don't come, if everyone does end up coming (which would be awesome) then I'll add them to two pools at random.

I'll be playing a lot of smash 4 when it comes out. If you would like to play with me prior to the event and help me figure out the ruleset, my friend code is:

3093-7081-8358

Top Bottom