• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Oceanic Netplay on Discord | RoA Tournaments on Thursdays | Project M on Sundays

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow

Hello, ladies and gents, Star here! Welcome to the Smash Boards thread for the Oceanic Netplay Group! Initially starting out as a place for people to play Project M over netplay, we have recently branched out to include Smash 4 and Melee as part of our regime.

I think I can speak for the 130+ players who have joined the Oceanic Netplay Community since its formulation in April 2014 that we're all looking to grow our active player-base even further in order to facilitate an even stronger, more tight-knit community revolved around competitive and for-fun Smash. Most of us (including offline tourney-goers) really just want to git gud.

Another facet we want to emphasise is our community as a functioning friend group. The Oceanic Netplay Community is a place to relax and we’ve all made great friends through the many people available to talk with at all times of day in the chat. Many players have traveled to different parts of the country to participate in tournaments with mates they’ve made within the group and just hang out for fun. Every new member is completely welcome and it’s always great to meet new people.

While it can be said that the offline experience of Smash games will always hail over that of netplay it is evident through the evolution of players such as Emukiller in Project M it is entirely possible that one can improve immensely as a result of the multitude of games that they have participated in on a daily basis through the sheer activity of the netplay scene. In Australia, examples can be seen through players such as Dreadtech, Mask1n, DD_ and myself making incredible jumps from their original tournament positions to heightened ones as a result of the training and matchup experience they’ve gained from playing netplay with lots of players around the continent.

To illustrate how well netplay works in the case of Melee and Project M I have inked a match between two active Australian players, from Melbourne and Sydney; I hope this demonstrates how well Dolphin and Smash runs online with Netplay whilst also being recorded at the maximum Frames per Second (60fps) and resolution (1080p). Sadly, YouTube has down-scaled it to 30FPS. Savvas(Marth) VS Mask1n(Jigglypuff) - SSBPM

It is also entirely possible to play Doubles over Netplay Project M and Melee as well. Two players can play from single computer over the internet or four computers can host separate players in game. Any combination of this can be achieved as long as the computers in question are powerful enough and within close vicinity of each other, usually within the same state.

Character Expertise
A list of the characters in Project M and Melee and which players in the group know the most about them. (Smash 4 to be added soon)

Smash 4 3DS Friend Code List
A list of the friend codes of our group's members. Check this list when going to play games with someone!

Project M Power Rankings [September 2014]
Project M Power Rankings [March 2015]

See here for details about how this was formulated.

Click here for the netplay guide.

Tournament Results
PM Le Papz Results
PM Le Papz 2 Results
A Song of Lag and Johns Results
Star's Team (Team 420xx)
Sadistic
- Took 1 Stock
Hardpelcn - Took 9 Stocks
Naga - Took 1 Stock
Star - Took 3 Stocks :(
Dom - Took 4 Stocks
DD_ - Took 5 Stocks
Jamwa's Team (Team Spooky)
Fudge
- Took 4 Stocks
Dreadtech - Took 2 Stocks
Jamwa - Took 9 Stocks
Gomez - Took 2 Stocks
Sociallylazy - Took 3 Stocks
Kaiza - Took 4 Stocks

Victory to Team Spooky.
PM Le Papz 3 Results
PM Le Papz 4 Results
PM Le Papz 5 Results
Tranq Legacy I
Tranq Legacy II
Tranq Legacy III
Tranq Legacy IV
Tranq Legacy V
Tranq Legacy VI
Tranq Legacy VII
Tranq Legacy VIII
Tranq Legacy IX
Tranq Legacy X
Tranq Legacy XI
Tranq Legacy XII

Tournament Results
SM4SH Bonanza 1
SM4SH Bonanza 2
Fraudulence 1 Results

Our Group’s YouTube Channel

We plan to add more videos to this so long as people continue to record videos. If you wish to add a video to the channel please upload it to your own channel and set copyright values to Creative Commons so we can migrate it to our own channel.

Html 5 Gfys
Marth used Ken combo on Mewtwo. It was super-effective!

Waddle-Dee wants revenge.

Star gets a great read.

Falcon Chain Grab.

Ivy gimp.

Making his way.

Star combos like a madman.

Dreadtech's Infamous Up B Double Kill.

So what are you waiting for? Join the group!

Click on this link to join the Discord Server.

An album of all the graphics used in this thread.

Last edited:

Tomo009

Smash Apprentice
Where's the link to Dreadtech's upB kill?

Hopefully in time we will have people playing every character so we can get used to the myriad of matchups in this game, still so much we don't know/aren't prepared for.

The group is constantly alive and you can often find games even in the middle of the day, really helps to get some practice and the discussion is usually quite lively.

Last edited:

baileeh

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, this is the 3rd and hopefully final time this thread will be made. We have decided to remake the thread due to a member of the group posting in the last thread in a way that we thought misrepresented us as a community. Since then I have got new admins for the group. We hope that this thread will be a place for people to tell everyone about their positive experiences in the group, so that new players can find it and become great at the game, then start coming to tournaments!

Please do not start anything that could lead to disagreements in this thread and if you dont argee with someone, message them privately to talk about your issue. Apart from that feel free to join even if you just want help setting up Project M, or if you just want people to talk to about different characters and matchups. Look forward to talking to everyone in the chat!

Lex__

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, people often say netplay will make you have bad habits cause of lag and that you will be not so good when you go on crt. But without netplay I wouldn't even know how to play the game well playing smash increases smash fundamentals that you wont get from practicing against CPU's, Online or Offline.

Netplay allowed me to go oto my first tournament prepared and I got to meet all the people I met online, and people are always talking on the chat even if you dont want to play come and join us to chat and ask for help.

Last edited:

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Hey everyone, this is the 3rd and hopefully final time this thread will be made. We have decided to remake the thread due to a member of the group posting in the last thread in a way that we thought misrepresented us as a community. Since then I have got new admins for the group. We hope that this thread will be a place for people to tell everyone about their positive experiences in the group, so that new players can find it and become great at the game, then start coming to tournaments!

Please do not start anything that could lead to disagreements in this thread and if you dont argee with someone, message them privately to talk about your issue. Apart from that feel free to join even if you just want help setting up Project M, or if you just want people to talk to about different characters and matchups. Look forward to talking to everyone in the chat!
Thanks Baileeh for letting me use elements of the previous thread, really helped me make it better.

Last edited:

Hughie

Smash Lad
I joined this group about 2 months ago. It's a great group, even though I don't have netplay lol. I just like talking in it.

We also have a multitude of players in here that enjoy playing other fighting games such as Street Fighter III.
*cough*DD and Tomo*cough*

Callibar

Smash Rookie
I have been apart of the group for a month now and am loving every minute of it. Great bunch of really nice and helpful people :D

toki

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3582-9503-2397
Would totally do this, but too much effort. Someone do it for me, will give free hugs. Maybe even a handshake. Alternately a fistbump even <3

DD_

Smash Journeyman
Just come in an join the chat till your adapter arrives anyway! we're a friendly bunch who talk about all kinds of smash goodness

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Today, folks, we are proud to present the official September 2014 Oceanic Netplay Power Rankings!

We've decided to focus on the top 10 players of our 85 + member group rather than individually categorize each player into ranks like we did previously. This prevents large amounts of conflict and promotes a form of goal for each member of the group to achieve. This is the result of 5 months of constant matches in the group and it took us a while to come to this final list, having to go through previous cluttered ones we had. We hope to update this list at least every two months.

The three main factors that contributed to the placement of these players are, in order of importance:

1. How active the player is the Netplay Group; there are plenty of great players in the chat that we would've liked to be on this list but they simply just aren't on enough to warrant a place.

2. How well they perform against players around the continent on Netplay.

3. Offline tourney results; this factor isn't as important as the others but we recognise that these results are a very good representation of their ability and how far they have till they reach the top.

Please stay tuned, Thanks guys!

Text Based Rankings
1st - @Jamwa
2nd - @ Star ☆ Star ☆
3rd - @ Hardpelicn Hardpelicn
4th - @mask1n
5th - @Tranquility
6th - @ dreadtech dreadtech
7th - @ Lex__ Lex__
8th - @ DD_ DD_
9th - @Kemmerich
10th - @ Dyl9 Dyl9

Last edited:

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
do we have any dates on the next tournament, would love to get in on it :D
We're still trying to think of ideas of what kinds of events we can hold. We've tried tournaments in the past but they don't seem to work well as people either don't show up or complain about certain people's latency. Other ideas we're tossing around is a round robin rotation event. We're open for suggestions!

Lex__

Smash Journeyman
Im open to host netplay events, but it turned into people signing up or not turning up at the right time, prob going to do something (maybe doubles, maybe a mini crew battle, maybe tournament reply with what your thinking? ) This weekend.

Ill post more info later this week. Also I have started recording games and will put them on my youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MygmvnrPEo8&list=PLpt9htR0D2gCyrL6sf8Q5yxja3iD9T6zv

E.G.

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
Today, folks, we are proud to present the official September 2014 Oceanic Netplay Power Rankings!
... etc.
I looked at the image and quickly scrolled down the whole thing looking for Jamwa, and was like "what the **** kind of power ranking is this Jamwa's not even on it".

Then I realised he was first.

Good stuff Star and co. making something professional of the netplay scene and doing things like this to draw interest, motivation and hype to it. Lookin' good

Last edited:

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
We just finished a tournament! PM Le Papz 1! Held tonight from 7:00 and lasted until 10:10 good work to all that played in it! We plan to host these every Sunday from now on!

Results

Last edited:

Dyl9

Smash Cadet
Shoutouts to Generic for making the losers run hype possible.

Congrats Star for winning and Max for stopping me from playing Star.

Wrecked by Wrecking Ball
RIP Max
Also RIP VOD Audio x_x

baileeh

Smash Rookie
Great job with this tournament guys, good to see everyone took it serious and a good number of people got involved!
We were a bit worried about hosting another tournament but it was great to see everyone step up and actually take it seriously this time. Thanks to Max for streaming the finals as well!

DD_

Smash Journeyman
Oceania's Premier Net play P:M Tournament Series "PM Le Papz" Will take place Any Sunday where there isn't already an Offline tournament scheduled. These matches are recorded and If Max is around also streamed.

Every Sunday I'll be taking signups in the group from 6:45. We then seed and take last minute entry from 7 and proceed to start the matches from 7:05 or 7:10 at the latest.

Setup Netplay, Get in the Chat and GET HYPE FOR LAGGY NETPLAY (No Lag Johns tho plz)

Lex__

Smash Journeyman

We have now reached 100 Members congrats everyone!

Don't forget to come around on sunday for the tournament!

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Our second tourney, PM Le Papz 2 is now completed. I wasn't able to participate this week due to mitigating circumstances but I was able to watch the finals; congratulations to Max for a straight win streak! Thanks Dread for the hype finals as well.

We hope to get another tourney again next Sunday. Please arrive in the chat at 6:45pm for signups. We start at 7:00pm.

Hope to see you all there!

Lex__

Smash Journeyman
Max said he has a local file of it, so we might see an upload of some of the matches

Edit: He just confirmed hes uploading it, you get to see my choke in high resolution

My match vs Naga starts at 1:27:00

Last edited:

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
~A Song of Lag and Johns~
A Project M Crew Battle Series
Ladies and Gentlemen, tonight we are proud to announce the start of a monthly crew battle series that will commence this Sunday, the 21st of September! We plan to have this in place of the usual tournament once every month. The format will go as follows.

- Captains for the two teams will be the top placing players on the current Power Ranking
- At 6:30pm we will begin signups; players state their name for a place in the crew battle (This will be capped at 20 players)
- At 6:45pm signups will close and the Captains will have a single match to determine who picks first (to build hype)
- Captains will take turns choosing players for their crew and separate Skype groups will be created with the crew members for strategy (save the normal chat for trash talk)
- At 7:00pm the Crew Battle will commence (streamed by Hardpelicn)

This Sunday, the two captains will be:

Star vs. Jamwa

We hope everyone is excited for this event. Be there or be square!

Last edited:
Top Bottom