• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Nov 8, 2014] Shuffle VI (Columbus, Ohio)

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Why pre-pay only?

My interest in going to this is highly diminished if it's pre-pay only. Not because of not being able to pay it, but because I don't know if I'll be able/in the mood to attend when tourney week rolls around.

Also, why $30 venue fee if it's all going to charity? I don't want to seem like a penny pincher, but seriously, that's more than Apex venue fee.

May also want to add a registration deadline. Cause you know, those are important.

Reiign

Smash Cadet
Why pre-pay only?

My interest in going to this is highly diminished if it's pre-pay only. Not because of not being able to pay it, but because I don't know if I'll be able/in the mood to attend when tourney week rolls around.

Also, why $30 venue fee if it's all going to charity? I don't want to seem like a penny pincher, but seriously, that's more than Apex venue fee.

May also want to add a registration deadline. Cause you know, those are important.
I wasn't sure if I should have questioned the venue fee because it would be my first bigger tournament, but 30 bucks caught my eye lol. Thanks for asking my other question though

Esports Initiative

Smash Journeyman
Why pre-pay only?

There are a couple reasons the venue fee is a little higher.

The first reason being that the venue we are using is costing us quite a bit of money out of pocket this time, as opposed to last time when the venue was free. We had to upgrade venues due to the attendance of Shuffle V. We ran out of room quite literally. With the new venue we don't need to set a registration cap. This new venue is probably around 300% nicer than last year's. It has food facilities attached, a parking garage attached, and countless more benefits. If we had kept the venue fee the same as Shuffle V, then we would end up donating very little money to charity, which of course is the sole reason we exist as an organization.

The second reason being that this is a two day national tournament. We did a lot of research, and considering our costs, and the quality of the facilities, we thought that $30 was a fair amount. Do not forget that you are more than able to get money back by providing equipment.

If you have any other questions about the event, email me at esi.shuffle@gmail.com

DS

JamesBJames

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, $30 is a really high venue fee. That's the same as BH4's venue fee but at least BH has god tier TO, awesome venues, and a large number of very strong players participating. The discount helps somewhat but I'll probably still have to debate if I actually want to enter for that much. Might just save it for BH4.

Hanky

Last edited:

Drephen

Smash Master
Yeah to be honest I would feel more comfortable knowing where exactly my $30 venue fee is going. Is it not going all to charity? How much is going to charity? I mean yeah venues are expensive, so if $30 is what you need from everyone then that is fine, just wanna know how much is going to expenses and how much is going to charity.

SuperNAC

Smash Rookie
this.

Do not forget that you are more than able to get money back by providing equipment.
DS
so if you figure that the average player is entering at least 2 (maybe as many as all 6) that would be somewhere from $50-$90 with the chance to get $10 back? if i could get more money back from more setups id forgive this a bit more but as is, a $60-70 bill is a bit pricey for someone who know he won't place too high. $20 venue fee instead would make me a lot happier! :)

Esports Initiative

Smash Journeyman
Yeah to be honest I would feel more comfortable knowing where exactly my $30 venue fee is going. Is it not going all to charity? How much is going to charity? I mean yeah venues are expensive, so if $30 is what you need from everyone then that is fine, just wanna know how much is going to expenses and how much is going to charity.
Hey Drephen!

This is a great question. Let me shed some light:

1) pools! We have pools! This means people get to play at least 5 or 6 sets. A lot of people are saying "but wait! Apex has 30 venue fee". Yeah, they do, but you also play two games and are gone. Pools takes more time equipment space etc, so I think it is fair the venue few reflects that.

2) venue fee! We have the largest, nicest venue in the OSU UNion. A stage, etc. this will blow the last venue out of the water. Google "Archie griffin ballroom" (I think a link is in OP)

3) discounts on food drink! Last time we offered pizza, water, soda, and energy drinks all for a dollar a pop which is a pretty cheap price I think.

4) charity! Remember, we donate 100% of PROFITS to charity. We keep 0. Last shuffle we raised 6 grand which is going to go to sick kids at Nationwide Children's Hospital.

5) GIMR! GimR is streaming the ever, and god love him but he ain't free (nor should he be)

I'm sure there is more, but this comes to mind. Please note internally we are discussing venue fee and it may change. I'd like to open discussion and get input.

Amar

Russy

Russydorf of Cincy
I'll register for this asap once the schedule is decided (can't be registering for events that i can't even stay for, y'know)

Esports Initiative

Smash Journeyman
The venue fee has been changed to $20, with a max $5 off for setups. If you have already paid, you will be refunded shortly.

Reiign

Smash Cadet
About bringing setups, how does storage of them work? Do we label the things we bring with our names?

JamesBJames

Smash Apprentice
$20 with up to $5 off is much more reasonable.

Drephen makes a good point too, although to their credit I think ESI has been pretty transparent so far. At any rate, it's hard to be as bad as OSI was with "charity."

Last edited:

SuperNAC

Smash Rookie
$5 off max for a full setup and crt? what if can only bring one of the two (ie crt or wii/gc)?

also i am content with this setup. :)

Esports Initiative

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys,

I have just refunded the people who pre-registered before the venue fee change. So they received $10 to offset the change.

-Brett

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Is there an estimate on Satutrday starting time and Sunday ending time? I understand the full schedule depends on turnout, but for travel purposes, it'd be good to know exactly when things will start and end.

stewyian

Smash Ace
There are a couple reasons the venue fee is a little higher.

The first reason being that the venue we are using is costing us quite a bit of money out of pocket this time, as opposed to last time when the venue was free. We had to upgrade venues due to the attendance of Shuffle V. We ran out of room quite literally. With the new venue we don't need to set a registration cap. This new venue is probably around 300% nicer than last year's. It has food facilities attached, a parking garage attached, and countless more benefits. If we had kept the venue fee the same as Shuffle V, then we would end up donating very little money to charity, which of course is the sole reason we exist as an organization.

The second reason being that this is a two day national tournament. We did a lot of research, and considering our costs, and the quality of the facilities, we thought that $30 was a fair amount. Do not forget that you are more than able to get money back by providing equipment.

If you have any other questions about the event, email me at esi.shuffle@gmail.com

DS
I highly doubt this will be national level, the attendance will most likely be less considering this is not an MLG qulaifier, or isnt one yet, and school is starting right around the tourney date anyway

Last edited:

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
u guys wont get the same attendance, im almost certain you will get less, with this not being an ML

I highly doubt this will be national level, the attendance will most likely be less considering this is not an MLG qulaifier, or isnt one yet, and school is starting right around the tourney date anyway
venue fee reduced as of a few hours ago : o get hype

SuperNAC

Smash Rookie
Is there an estimate on Satutrday starting time and Sunday ending time? I understand the full schedule depends on turnout, but for travel purposes, it'd be good to know exactly when things will start and end.
op claims it starts at 9am Saturday and ends 9pm Sunday how accurate that is could be anyone's guess

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Interested in this for Brawl 1v1 and 2v2. Will definitely need housing, but not confirmed yet. I just hope I'll be able to afford it. Wouldn't be surprised if others from my region (Greater Toronto Area) are interested as well

SuperNAC

Smash Rookie
Interested in this for Brawl 1v1 and 2v2. Will definitely need housing, but not confirmed yet. I just hope I'll be able to afford it. Wouldn't be surprised if others from my region (Greater Toronto Area) are interested as well
I can probably make room for 1-3 more people if you need housing.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
This is actually looking possible for me now.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
Is there any chance I could get housing and picked up from/dropped off at the Greyhound in Columbus? D: Wanting to come down to this now, because there's no other Brawl tournaments happening in this area anymore. >_< Also if I can make it I would need a partner for Brawl doubles.

EDIT:
Still no registration deadline?
Also this is somewhat important for me too.

Last edited:

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
Is there any chance I could get housing and picked up from/dropped off at the Greyhound in Columbus? D: Wanting to come down to this now, because there's no other Brawl tournaments happening in this area anymore. >_< Also if I can make it I would need a partner for Brawl doubles.

EDIT:
Also this is somewhat important for me too.
But you live somewhere in kentucky.

Top Bottom