• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Nov 30, 2013] Post-Apocalypse Texas Showdown (PATS) 3 (Houston, TX)

Col. Dingus

Smash Rookie
Hello, I am new and around the area. I live near Spring. I was wondering if this is a once a year event? I would attend this this year but I have life in the way atm. (job, moving, etc.) I would so be welcomed to join in any next year plans. Appreciate it.

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
Hello, I am new and around the area. I live near Spring. I was wondering if this is a once a year event? I would attend this this year but I have life in the way atm. (job, moving, etc.) I would so be welcomed to join in any next year plans. Appreciate it.
Yeah there should be more of these. There is no real time table for them, as the first one was in December of last year and the second one was in February. Hopefully there will be other Houston tournaments in the mean time. Hope you can make it out next time!

Papa+Stone

Banned via Administration
Wow november 30 is thanksgiving break right? I cant go to that, i have to go party with my fellow mexicans in odessa

oscarmalherbe

Smash Cadet
yo its ya bo oscamalherbe portin' that 281 htown. cue on pappa stone- could you bring my ipod to the event. over. Also, ready to fight off the best that texas has to offer! mt, arc, jf, tirno, admiral, the diglob kid whoever he is, and sos if he still LIVED in texas..cough traitor cough. anyways im audi 5000. later haters.

Crawfish

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1393-8146
so is it supposed to start at 12 am? it says from 12 pm to 11 pm on the same day. unless i'm being amazingly stupid right now and missing everything, ever.

Papa+Stone

Banned via Administration
It goes 12 pm 1pm 2pm 3pm etc all the way to 11pm
12 is the first hour, before 1, and when it changes to am/pm it starts on 12. 12 pm is afternoon and 12am is midnight. 12pm is after 11am and 12am is after 11pm

Crawfish

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1393-8146
It goes 12 pm 1pm 2pm 3pm etc all the way to 11pm
12 is the first hour, before 1, and when it changes to am/pm it starts on 12. 12 pm is afternoon and 12am is midnight. 12pm is after 11am and 12am is after 11pm
why don't i know this -.-

Jesi

Smash Ace
why don't i know this -.-
Because our education system has failed you. :( *sigh* It's okay, I recently switched careers to educational software/games, I'll make a note of this gap... lol More importantly, I kind of want to go to this tourney... But iunno I may be too old for traveling to tourneys... wonder if any other Dallas players are also going... and, Hi Frisbie!! ^_^

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
Sup Jesi! You should definitely come to this! I think Thoraxe and Gabe are coming to this, you should try to get a carpool started though! Dr. Drew came last time too, and if Wobbles is in town he might be interested in going. Plus Austin, Jose, and Matt should be there, so it'll be like a DIME reunion! Also, the venue is a super chill restaurant with a bar, so it's always a fun time. I hope you can make it!

ThaJakester

Valatunda! Valatunda!
NNID
ThaJakester
Not too sure if I can make this one this time around due to financials and crappy college situations I put myself in. If I can make it however I would definitely bring a capture card with 1 or 2 full setups. Project M would also be a very welcomed addition to this tournament for me because I have a couple of friends that play that over Melee...If there was indeed a P:M tournament, my chances of making PATS3 would increase due to my friends car pooling with me, helping me out with money, finding me a place to stay with their Houston relatives, ect. If a P:M tournament could go down then I could certainly bring 2 or 3 full setups depending on how much crap I could fit into my car xD

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
I won't be able to go to this. No way I can get off work the day after Black Friday. :drsad:
:'(

Tigger I really want PM to happen so more people come but I don't know if we'll have the time for it. I'll do my best. PM people, how would you feel if there were PM singles but not PM doubles?

RedGamer

Smash Ace
Frisbie! Count PK-Thunder in! Will come if can get ride (R.I.P english)

Any higher level Captain Falcon players going to attend this? I just got back to playing this after years of not playing so I'd love to play Friendlies with you guys to learn some stuff
Zhea and I are two of the high level falcons in SA.

I'll be there..I don't think anyone else from San Antonio is going, but we'll see.
soon....

Edit: I wanna know if tsc will attend, I want more falcon dittoes.

52pickup

Smash Cadet
I might go to this! But I am totally clueless about the tournament scene. Can anyone explain to me the process of counterpicks? And the details around people in the winners bracket and losers bracket, like, isn't there something like someone coming from losers bracket having to win 2 sets instead of 1 at some point?

Also, will there be set-ups available to just play during the tournament? I honestly expect to get kicked out of pools very soon in...so I was wondering if I could just play friendlies while I'm there. I don't get to play with many people very often!

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
I might go to this! But I am totally clueless about the tournament scene. Can anyone explain to me the process of counterpicks? And the details around people in the winners bracket and losers bracket, like, isn't there something like someone coming from losers bracket having to win 2 sets instead of 1 at some point?

Also, will there be set-ups available to just play during the tournament? I honestly expect to get kicked out of pools very soon in...so I was wondering if I could just play friendlies while I'm there. I don't get to play with many people very often!
So you start off by stage striking between the starter stages (FD, FoD, Yoshi's, DL, Battlefield). You determine who is going to strike first (usually by rock paper scissors), and then whoever is first will eliminate one stage. Then the second person will eliminate two stages so that there are only two stages left, from which the first person chooses to play the first match on. In a best of three set, the winner gets to ban a stage, while the loser gets to counterpick a stage besides the one that is banned. Then the winner can switch characters if he/she desires, and then the loser can do the same. If you get knocked into loser's bracket, in order to win the tournament you would have to beat the person who won all the way through winner's bracket in two sets and they would only have to win one.

There will definitely be set ups open for friendly matches at certain points throughout the tournament, but during pools and at the beginning of bracket there will be several matches going on so not so much then. I hope I see you there!

Amide

Smash Lord
I go to rice but lack a car, is some kind stranger willing to bring me there? I'll chip in gas money haha

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
I go to rice but lack a car, is some kind stranger willing to bring me there? I'll chip in gas money haha
Admiral goes to Rice, she might be able to give you a ride. Otherwise, you can come with me if you don't mind getting there about 30 minutes early, I live pretty close to Rice as well.

Amide

Smash Lord
Admiral goes to Rice, she might be able to give you a ride. Otherwise, you can come with me if you don't mind getting there about 30 minutes early, I live pretty close to Rice as well.
I've no idea who she is or if she'd be in houston for thanksgiving. That sounds fine, I'd really appreciate it and like to make it to it.

Admiral!

Smash Apprentice
I can give you a ride. I had no idea anyone else at Rice played. What college are you in? We should play sometime.

Amide

Smash Lord
I can give you a ride. I had no idea anyone else at Rice played. What college are you in? We should play sometime.
Yay :). I'm at Brown but I usually play with some friends from Martel. We definitely should play! Let's practice for it haha

Roji_11

Smash Rookie
Hi. I am interested in going but I have never been to a tournament before. Also I have not played smash in years.
Is there a fee if I go just to watch?
I have a gamecube but no game and a crappy controller. With that in mind anyone want to practice with a less experienced player?
I guess I can say a bit about myself. I am a college student who attends hcc and plays soccer with friends once a week. I also play ps3 and 3ds. I play biochock, skyrim, pokemon, mario kart 7 among others.
I am looking forward to joining your community. :b:

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
Hi. I am interested in going but I have never been to a tournament before. Also I have not played smash in years.
Is there a fee if I go just to watch?
I have a gamecube but no game and a crappy controller. With that in mind anyone want to practice with a less experienced player?
I guess I can say a bit about myself. I am a college student who attends hcc and plays soccer with friends once a week. I also play ps3 and 3ds. I play biochock, skyrim, pokemon, mario kart 7 among others.
I am looking forward to joining your community. :b:
There is no fee for just watching if you don't want to enter. The Houston community communicates on facebook, so here's the link for the group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/223986011009934/
There are usually weekly smashfests at U of H, information about those and other gatherings are posted here. Hope to see you around!

Crawfish

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1393-8146
i got a gamecube (possibly two) and an old wii, but no tv. if i bring these, is there someone who only has a tv to bring or extra tv's to accompany my lonely systems? they'll cry. i also got the games so das dat.

Roji_11

Smash Rookie
Hi Crawfish. I am new so I am not going to be a good player to practice with. But I do have a tv I can bring over. I am 85% sure I do.
Or you can come over but only in the mornings. I am not too busy this week so we can plan something out.
You can message me here or on the fb group, I just joined it.

0tter

Smash Rookie
HYPE. LEVELS. RISING. MUST. KEEP. MYSELF. HELD. TOGETHER.

OHMIGAWDPATSINLIKE34HOURSHYPEHYPEHYPE

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
can we actually get a results thread this time? apocalypse didnt have one
I don't know what Apocalypse is but this tournament is in no way related to it, there will be a results thread as there was for the first two of the series.

Also, tomorrow is the big day everyone! Remember to get there BEFORE 1:30 cause there will be no registration after that point. If you think you're going to be a couple minutes late or want to enter singles only (which starts after doubles), call me at 713-702-6028 BEFORE 1:30 and I'll register you. Also, please bring setups if you can, full setups are preferred but bring what you can. See you all tomorrow!

Top Bottom