• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pacific West [Sep 12, 2015] Salem Smashfests (Weekly) [Smash 4, Brawl] (Salem, Or)

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Hey everyone, just a heads up that with Smashboards' new Event system there's a new thread!

Please go here for future Salem Smashfests (Saturday) information!

Local weekly tournaments for Smash 4 (Wii U) and Brawl in Salem, Oregon.

For anyone who wants to play Smash!
Whether you're looking to improve, looking to join the competitive scene, or just want to play, we'd be glad to have you!

There is an $1 venue fee, and after that each tournament costs just $1 to enter!

Cash prizes for Top Placing Players (generally a 60-30-10 split of the tournament's entry fees)

We have Singles (and Doubles/Triples when there's time) tournaments every week!

Tournament Schedule
11:15am - Setup people arrive (friendlies setups available)
12:00pm - Smash 4 Doubles
1:45pm - Smash 4 Singles
5:00pm - Brawl Singles start
7:00pm - Venue Closes

Email SalemSmashfests@gmail.com for more details, or simply send me a message.

The official rules we'll be following (in case anyone wants to read them ahead of time/has any questions about them):
General Conduct
Global Game Rules
- Smash 4 (Wii U) Rules
- Brawl Rules
- Project: M Rules

You can also find us on
- Facebook
- Nintendo Dojo
- Twitter
- Twitch

We also have Weekly Melee, Project: M, & Smash 64 Tournaments!

Check out our Flyer! (current as of May 28, 2015)

And be sure to check out our past matches on my Youtube Channel!

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
So far Brawl only, but depending on what people want (and if I can get my Wii's disk drive fixed...) we may add Melee as well eventually.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

EDIT: Whoops, just realized I forgot to add the other links to the opening post...
Added now

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Just to let everyone know, after this week (so starting on the 12th) we'll be moving from Tuesdays to Mondays.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Thanks to everyone who came out this week, we had a good turnout once again.

A few notices, while I'm thinking about it:
- Entry fee waiving (by bringing an full setup) will no longer be available, though this will re-open if we grow significantly.
- I'm thinking of starting up a Training group of some sort at my house on Satuday/Sunday. I'm not sure if it would even be viable, but if you're interested please let me know.

Also, this week's Final Results:
1st) Jaxas
2nd) Richard
3rd) Brad

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Thanks to everyone who could make it out today despite it being Memorial day, we had a great tournament!

1st) Jaxas
2nd) Richard
3rd) Tom

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
We had a great tournament today as well, thanks to everyone who came!

1st) Jaxas
2nd) G-Man
3rd) RubRub

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
This week's tournament results:

1st) G-Man
2nd) Jaxas
3rd) Tom

Good work to G-Man!

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Hopefully everyone got to watch Nintendo's E3 this year, it was great!

But most importantly, great job to all of the contestants in the Smash 4 Invitational Preview tournament!

So everyone, what are your thoughts about how Smash 4 is shaping up?

For anyone who didn't get to see it, here's a link
Smash 4 Invitational

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Announcement Time!

Due to a number of reasons, the Salem Smashfests will be moving from out current location at Haven Gaming to Meta Gaming (Off Liberty, in the Roth's parking lot) starting on the 23rd of this month.

The tournaments will continue to happen on Monday, though we may change the time a bit - Please post what times work best for you.

I'm currently looking at starting sometime between 3 and 5, and if we have enough interest we may start doing official Doubles tournaments as well (which may end up being paid eventually as well - again, depending on interest)

Two of the main advantages we will be getting are
- Sponsorship (No venue fee, so all Buy-In Money will be entered into the prize pool)
- Cash Payout

Anyways, long story short:
- This next Monday (06/16) will be at Haven, starting at 5pm, like normal.
- From the next week (06/23) on will be at Meta Gaming.
- Post what times will work best for you to start at Meta Gaming.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Called (temporarily) for starting at 4pm; if this won't work for anyone, please let me know!

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Hi everyone, just a reminder that THIS WEEK IS STILL AT HAVEN GAMING.
Next week is when we move.

I hope to see everyone here!

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
This week's results:

Singles:
1st) Jaxas
2nd) Tom
3rd) G~Man

Doubles:
1st) ReflectingThunder (Jaxas, RubRub)
2nd) Pretty Boy and the ****** (G~Man, Brad)
3rd) The Dark Wings (Ninja, Lv9 Luigi)

Thanks to everyone who came to the tournament this week, and remember that starting next week we'll be at Meta-Gaming!

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Hey everyone, Smash Class is officially cancelled this weekend due to the OU AllStars Tournament in Eugene this Saturday.

I hope to see people there, it looks like it'll be a lot of fun!

Tournament details
- $5 entry fee, and then $5 per event
- SSB64, Melee, Brawl, and Project: M (All Singles & Doubles)
- Starts at 10am
- U of O Campus

OU Allstars Tournament Page

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Just a reminder that Salem Smashfests will be held at Meta-Gaming today, and will start at 4pm!

Also, remember that from this week on we will be competing for Cash rather than In Store Credit!
I hope to see everyone there!

Meta-Gaming
(971) 599 - 1684
4555 Liberty Rd S, Suite #340
Salem, Oregon

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Thanks to everyone who came to the tournament today, it was a great success! Meta-Gaming is a great shop, and everything went as well as expected.

Singles:
1st) Jaxas
2nd) Tom
3rd) G~Man

Doubles:
1st) Bird who cried Wolf (Jaxas, Tom)
2nd) Tip Touchers (G~Man, Mfisk)
3rd) Lv1 Luigi Edgehog (Zeno, Lv9 Luigi)

Omega Male

Smash Cadet
So if I am fairly new to the Smash scene would this be a place for me to go? Just looking to hang out and play with some friendly folk, in no way am I ready to compete haha.

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Yep!
The Smashfests are designed to cater to pretty much anyone, whether they're competitive, trying to reach a competitive level, or just want to play something that isn't a CPU.

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Looks like I can't do polls in the middle of a thread (no surprises there), so anyone interested just either answer on our facebook page or post your thoughts on the matter.

Anyways, I'm thinking of starting up a more official 'Smash Class' over at my house, to cover a bunch of random technical info (things like Surviving a hit with SDI, DI, and Momentum Cancelling, Teching, what a DACUS is and how to do it, etc).
If there's still enough interest, then I'll be doing this at my house on Saturdays (every couple of Saturdays; it's looking like there'll be multiple groups)

Who all would be interested?
[X] Sure, sounds great!
[X] Sounds great, but Saturday won't work for me (let me know what days would, my summer schedule is super flexible)
[X] Not really interested

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
This week's placings:

Singles:
1st) Jaxas
2nd) G~Man
3rd) Tom

Doubles:
1st) Electric Boogaloo (Jaxas, RubRub)
2nd) Tip Touchers (G~Man, Mfisk)
3rd) Smash Brothers (Zeno, Tom)

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
This week's results

Singles
1st) Jaxas
2nd) Tom
3rd) Alex the Slayer

Doubles
Skipped due to time constraints

Thanks to everyone who made it out!

Also, just a heads up: We'll be working on getting Melee tournaments up and running in the near future.
I'll post here when we have more information.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
We're not doing P:M at the moment, and there are currently no plans to add it.

However, we may add it if there's enough interest; I'll talk to the everyone and see who's all interested.
For now though, the focus is adding Melee, anything else will be added after that

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Hey everyone, just a heads up that you should all tune in to the EVO 2014 stream this weekend if you're interested in watching high-level Melee matches!

EVO, also known as Evolution Championship Series, is the largest fighting game tournament in the world. This year it is hosting a large Super Smash Brothers: Melee tournament, with 970 entrants! Other games to be played include Ultra Street Fighter IV, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, BlazBlue: Chronophantasma, Killer Instinct, King of Fighters XIII, Injustice: Gods Among Us, and Tekken Tag Tournament 2.

Melee Schedule:
- Friday: 8AM-4PM - Pools (twitch.tv/srkevo1)
- Friday: 4PM-8PM - Pools (twitch.tv/srkevo2)
- Saturday: 10AM-2PM - Quarter and Semi Finals (twitch.tv/srkevo2)
- Saturday: 2PM-10PM - Doubles (twitch.tv/clashtournaments)
- Sunday: 1PM-3PM - Top 8 (twitch.tv/srkevo1)

This is especially important as Nintendo is one of EVO's sponsors this year.
This is a complete turnaround from last year where they tried to remove Melee from the lineup until fan outcry made them change their mind in only a few (I believe it was 3?) hours. It appears as though Nintendo has recently been doing a lot to improve their relations with the competitive scene (the lineup for the E3 invitational, sponsoring EVO, and the upcoming Smash 4 3DS tournament at Comic-Con this year to name a few), which is certainly a good thing in my opinion. With 18 hours of stream time as opposed to only the 2 hours of finals shown last year.

(Also note that is is being posted across Facebook, AiB and here on Smashboards. A lot of it is indeed from the EVO posts on the main news feed here on Smashboards)

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Thanks to everyone who made it out this week, we had 22 people; by far our largest turnout yet! We didn't get Doubles running due to time constraints, but we're looking into changing some things around to get it running next week.

This week's results:

1st) Ecchi
2nd) That Guy
3rd) Jaxas

T0MMY

Smash Master
So if I am fairly new to the Smash scene would this be a place for me to go? Just looking to hang out and play with some friendly folk, in no way am I ready to compete haha.
Your profile says you are in Eugene. If you are looking for P:M there is a lot going on for that in Eugene, after summer P:M will probably get back to twice a week practice.

Omega Male

Smash Cadet
Your profile says you are in Eugene. If you are looking for P:M there is a lot going on for that in Eugene, after summer P:M will probably get back to twice a week practice.
I go to school in Corvallis though haha. I think there is a little bit there though.

T0MMY

Smash Master
When I think Corvallis I think Melee. But most likely something there, best of luck.

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Thanks to everyone who made it this week - we had a bit of a small group, but everything went really well!

Singles:
1st) Jaxas
2nd) TomCat
3rd) Captain Brad

Doubles:
1st) Electric Boogaloo 2 (Jaxas & RubRub)
2nd) The Smash Brothers (TomCat & Zeno)

Thanks everyone, and I hope to see you all next week!

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
ANNOUNCEMENT TIME!

In addition to our standard 3pm Brawl tournaments on Monday, we will be adding weekly Melee tournaments on Saturdays (with potential to switch to sunday pending scheduling conflicts with Meta-Gaming) at 2pm starting Saturday, August 9th.

These tournaments will also be held at Meta-Gaming, and will follow a similar swiss-to-top format as the Brawl tournaments, with their own Melee-specific ruleset.

Entry fee will still be $1 per event for every event, and there will be both singles and doubles tournaments happening.

I hope to see everyone there!

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Thanks to everyone who made it out this week, it was one of our largest tournaments yet!

Singles:
1st) Jaxas
2nd) Ecchi
3rd) Tom

Doubles:
1st) Electric Boogaloo 2 (Jaxas/RubRub)
2nd) The Pinky and the Brain (Pinky/Mfisk)

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Hey everyone, just a reminder that we're having a Brawl tournament today at 3pm. I hope to see everyone there!

Also, we SHOULD have the stream fixed, although I cannot guarantee that. twitch.tv/masterfisk

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Thanks to everyone who made it out to the tournament this week!

Singles:
1st) Jaxas
2nd) Mfisk
3rd) Ecchi

Doubles:
1st) Fruit Loops (G~Man\Mfisk)
2nd) The Smash Brothers (TomCat\Zeno)

Also, remember that THIS SATURDAY is the start of the Melee Smashfests (2pm). I hope to see everyone there to check it out!

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Thanks for everyone who made it out to the Melee tournament this week! We had a decent turnout, with a total of 12 people!

Results:
1st) The Magnum Dragon
2nd) Jaxas
3rd) Mfisk

I hope to see everyone there again next week, and don't forget we still have the Monday Brawl Smashfests!

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Thanks to everyone who made it out to the Brawl tournament this week. This is easily one of the best tournaments we've had; a lot of matches were really close, and everyone played great!

Singles Results:
1st) Jaxas
2nd) G~Man
3rd) TomCat

Doubles Results:
1st) MegaMario & Sonic All Stars at the Olympic Winter Games (Jaxas/RubRub)
2nd) Team Random (Zeno/Shy)

Check out the stream here (it starts at 16:08)
http://www.twitch.tv/masterfisk/b/557151801

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Thanks to everyone who made it out this week!

Singles Results:
1st) Jaxas
2nd) G~Man
3rd) Mfisk

Doubles Results:
1st) MegaMario & Sonic All Stars at the Olympic Winter Games (Jaxas & RubRub)
2nd) Propaniacs (G~Man & TomCat)

Also, I would link to the stream...
...however we're still fighting with some technical difficulties. If all else fails then we will be getting new equipment some time in the next month or two; whenever I have the money to get what we need.

Thanks you for patience, and I hope to see everyone next week as well!

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Attention Smashers!
There's a group of people up in Springfield (near Eugene) who are starting up weekly tournaments focusing on Melee and P:M, but welcoming Brawl and SSB64 as well if there's enough interest.

If enough people are interested, then maybe we can get a carpool together to head up there.

So, who's all interested? I know I'll be attending at some point, whenever I can figure out a way up there.

You can find more information here:
https://www.facebook.com/events/642368582537966/643705435737614/?ref=notif&notif_t=plan_mall_activity

Top Bottom