• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic North [Sep 14, 2015] Cville Smash Weekly! (Charlottesville, VA)

ConnMan

Smash Cadet
Living Studios Presents:

STREAMED AND HOSTED BY:
TWITCH.TV/LIVINGSTUDIOS

LOCATED AT: THE END GAMES
143 Zan Road
Charlottesville, VA 22901

Schedule:

5:00pm - Setup / Registration / Friendlies (Registration for each event closes ~10 min prior to the event)

6:00pm- Smash for wii u Singles begins

7:00pm- Project M Singles begins

8:00pm - Melee Singles begins

Tournament Format:
6 or fewer entrants: Round Robin
7+: Double Elimination Bracket

*Pool and round robin matches are all best of 3
*Bracket matches, with the exception of Loser's Finals, Winner's Finals, and Grand Finals, are best of 3
*Loser's Finals, Winner's Finals, and Grand Finals are all Best of 5 matches.

Fees:
$5 Venue Fee
$5 Smash for wii u
$5 Project M Singles
$5 Melee Singles

Prize:
30+ Entrants
1st place - 50% of entry fee pot
2nd place - 25%
3rd place - 15%
4th place - 10%

8-29 Entrants
1st place - 60%
2nd place - 30%
3rd place - 10%

2-7 Entrants
1st place - 80%
2nd place - 20%

Food Locations:
Across from the venue is a Burger King, which is the most convenient food location from here. Additionally, on the main road (Emmet Street) from which you turn into the venue plaza there is a Cookout within driving distance. Barracks shopping center is also along this road, but further, and contains many food options including McDonalds, Panera Bread, Chipotle, and more!

**IMPORTANT**

NO CRT's needed! We DO NEED TV's for Smash for wii u!

Please bring setups! Everyone helps!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Melee and Project M Ruleset (Matching VGBC's ruleset)
Rules: These rules apply to all events, specific events below. If you have any questions about the rules, please ask up front rather than waiting till after a match to ask. It could be too late!

General Gameplay:

- 4 stock
- 8 minute timer
- Items are set to "off" and "none"
- If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage. If there is a tie, see the tiebreaker section to follow.
- Controller ports will be decided by players. If there is a conflict, we prefer using the G&W Hammer method to determine who gets to choose.
- You may switch controller ports on your counterpick only.
- BYOC (Bring your own controller). I recommend having a spare, just in case. If you don't have one, I might have a few for sale.
- Any controller malfunction mid match is on you. If you need to reset, your opponent will have to agree to a reset as doing so will require you to pause the match. (if pause is on).
- Stalling is banned. You know what this is, ask if you're unsure.
- If you freeze the game on an action initiated by your character, you lose the game. You are expected to know the boundaries of your character. (This rarely, if ever, happens.)
- Pause is recommended to be turned on for quick resets, but players can request it be turned off for the duration of their match.
- If a player pauses the match mid game (accidentally or intentionally), it is a stock loss to the player who pressed it (unless for valid interruption at T.O's discretion).
- A match ending in simultaneous death does not go to the initiator. If the result is sudden death from this, use the normal tiebreaking rules (to follow) to determine the winner. Otherwise use who the game declared the winner.
- Coaching mid-match is banned. Don't do it.
- You cannot re-select a stage you have won on as a counterpick (Melee Only)
- Any and all infinites (basically, where someone can control the opponent without them being able to do anything about it) must end at 300%, otherwise it becomes stalling. All infinites are entirely legal otherwise.
- ALL sets are best 2 of 3 games, INCLUDING the finals.
- In the event of a game running to time, the winner is determined first by stocks, then % if the stocks are tied.
- LGL Rule: ALL games have a ledge grab limit of 50. This only comes into play if a match goes to time. If the match goes to time, and one of the players have exceeded the LGL, than the other player automatically wins regardless of the original outcome. If neither player or both players have, then normal tie breaking procedures take precedence.

Set Procedure:

1. Character selection
2. Stage strike 1-2-1
3. Play Game 1
4. Winning player announces ban stage for the set (Melee Only)
5. Loser of previous match announces next match's stage
6. Winner of previous match chooses characters
7. Loser of previous match chooses characters
8. Play next game
9. Rinse and repeat 4-8 if set goes to a third game.

Tie Breaking:
Note: Tiebreaking is only initiated if the game started a sudden death round upon completion. Otherwise, who the game declared winner is the winner of the match.

1. Winner is determined by highest stock count then lowest percent.
2. Verify neither player violated the LGL rule (if the match went to time)
3. 1 stock, 3 minute match is played as a tiebreaker match. The winner of this match wins the game. If there is a tie in this match, proceed to step 4. The LGL is modified for this match to 20.
4. A second 1 stock, no time limit match is played. If a simultaneous death is initiated (such as swallocide) in this match, the initiator loses the match. There is no tie for this match, it is play until you win.

Conduct Rules:

- No intrusive Cosmetic hacks permitted (no altering characters to look like master chief, no reversing the ice climbers colors, etc.)
- Drugs/Alcohol are banned from this event. Don't let me see any, smell any, etc. We'll send you home packing.
- Intentionally disrupting someone mid-match intentionally or accidentally is not acceptable. Please do your best to make sure you are not disrupting a match. This can result in a penalty at T.O.'s discretion.
- Don't lose anything you're bringing to the event please, we are not liable for lost/stolen etc.
- TTL Rule: You must register for the event in person, on-time. Once the registration deadline is closed, no further entries will be permitted. Do not try to call me in advance to hold the bracket.
- Collusion of any kind (asking, intentionally throwing matches yourself, "agreeing to split", etc.) is subject to instant disqualification from all events, forfeiture of all prizes, banning of said players from stream matches and a potential 1 event suspension at the T.O's discretion.

Stage Rules:

- Melee Starter Stages:

Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams
Battlefield
Final Destination
Dream Land 64

- Melee Counterpick Stages (1 stage ban):

Pokemon Stadium

- PM Starter Stages

Smashville
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium 2
Dream Land 64
Green Hill Zone

- PM Counterpick Stages (2 bans):

Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Warioware
Yoshi's Story
Lylat Cruise
Fountain of Dreams
Distant Planet

-Smash for wii u ruleset (matching Xanadu's ruleset)

No Customs

General Gameplay:
- 2 Stock
- 6 min stock timer
- Items are set to "off" and "none"
- If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage. If there is a tie, see the tiebreaker section to follow.
- Controller ports will be decided by players. If there is a conflict, we prefer using the G&W Hammer method to determine who gets to choose.
- You may switch controller ports on your counterpick only.
- BYOC (Bring your own controller). I recommend having a spare, just in case. If you don't have one, I might have a few for sale.
- Any controller malfunction mid match is on you. If you need to reset, your opponent will have to agree to a reset as doing so will require you to pause the match. (if pause is on).
- Stalling is banned. You know what this is, ask if you're unsure.
- If you freeze the game on an action initiated by your character, you lose the game. You are expected to know the boundaries of your character. (This rarely, if ever, happens.)
- Pause is recommended to be turned on for quick resets, but players can request it be turned off for the duration of their match.
- If a player pauses the match mid game (accidentally or intentionally), it is a stock loss to the player who pressed it (unless for valid interruption at T.O's discretion).
- For a match ending in sudden death, please refer to the tie break section of the rules below.
- Coaching mid-match is banned. Don't do it.
- You cannot re-select a stage you have won on as a counterpick.
- Any and all infinites (basically, where someone can control the opponent without them being able to do anything about it) must end at 300%, otherwise it becomes stalling. All infinites are entirely legal otherwise.
- ALL sets are best 2 of 3 games, INCLUDING the finals.
- 1 stage ban
- Custom moves/equipment are banned
- Wii U Gamepads are not a legal controller for use.
- Default Mii with 1-1-1-1 are legal for tournament play. You must use either Guest A or Guest B.

Set Procedure:

1. Character selection
2. Stage strike 1-2-1
3. Play Game 1
4. Winning player announces ban stage (2 bans for PM) for the set
5. Loser of previous match announces next match's stage
6. Winner of previous match chooses characters
7. Loser of previous match chooses characters
8. Play next game
9. Rinse and repeat 4-8 if set goes to a third game.

Tie Breaking:

Note: Tiebreaking is only initiated if the game started a sudden death round upon completion. Otherwise, the game declared winner is the winner of the match.
1. Winner is determined by highest stock count then lowest percent. If the % were tied or the match ended in a simultaneous death, proceed to step 2.
2. 1 stock, 3 minute match is played as a tiebreaker match. The winner of this match wins the round. If there is a tie in this match, proceed to step 3.
3. A second 1 stock, no time limit match is played. If a simultaneous death is initiated (such as swallocide) in this match, the initiator loses the match. There is no tie for this match, it is play until you win.

Conduct Rules:

- No intrusive Cosmetic hacks permitted (no altering characters to look like master chief, no reversing the ice climbers colors, etc.)
- Drugs/Alcohol are banned from Xanadu. Don't let me see any, smell any, etc. We'll send you home packing.
- Intentionally disrupting someone mid-match intentionally or accidentally is not acceptable. Please do your best to make sure you are not disrupting a match. This can result in a penalty at T.O.'s discretion.
- Don't lose anything you're bringing to the event please, we are not liable for lost/stolen etc.
- TTL Rule: You must register for the event in person, on-time. Once the registration deadline is closed, no further entries will be permitted. Do not try to call me in advance to hold the bracket.
- Collusion of any kind (asking, intentionally throwing matches yourself, "agreeing to split", etc.) is subject to instant disqualification from all events, forfeiture of all prizes, banning of said players from stream matches and a potential 1 event suspension at the T.O's discretion.

Stage rules:

- Smash for Wii U Starter Stages
Smashville
Battlefield
Palutena's Temple (Omega)
Town and City
Lylat Cruise

- Smash for Wii U Counterpick Stages (1 stage ban)
Halberd
Delfino Plaza
Duck Hunt
Castle Siege
Omega Stage *

* Note: Legal Omega Stages: Battlefield, Final Destination, Pyrosphere, Mushroom Kingdom U, Wii Fit Studio, Palutena's Temple, Smashville

* Note: banning Omega Stage bans all of them

* Note: If Smashville or Battlefield are banned on counterpick, their omega form is also banned.

Last edited:

ironhearts

Smash Rookie
Based on the 2 hour spacing between melee and project M beginnings i'm assuming your allowed to enter and compete in both

DaJoezenOne

Smash Rookie
NNID
DaJoezenOne
The links that should go to rules aren't working for me. Is it me or are they broken?
Also, do you have any plans to start doing WiiU/3DS tournaments? I'd still love to come out and spectate regardless, but I kind of suck at both Melee and Project M...

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
I also would be very interested in Wii U/3DS tourneys if possible. I'm not good at Melee/PM either.

ConnMan

Smash Cadet
The links that should go to rules aren't working for me. Is it me or are they broken?
Also, do you have any plans to start doing WiiU/3DS tournaments? I'd still love to come out and spectate regardless, but I kind of suck at both Melee and Project M...
Thanks for bringing that to my attention man I will try to get that fixed asap. I am hoping to get sm4sh tourneys started as soon as I can secure setups for the venue and enough interest.

JakeMeeble

Smash Rookie
NNID
MauriceMeeble
3DS FC
4382-2565-7135
Hi all! New to Smash Boards here and I've been looking for local tournaments to try out! I'll keep an eye on this, but just really wanted to show my support for a Sm4sh tourney. I understand securing playable copies is hard, just wanted to add on to the growing demand for it! I know for a fact, me and three others would more than likely enter every week we could if there were one! In the meantime, I think I'll brush up slightly on my PM game and try and scope out the competition! (Doubt I'll make it past two matches in PM!!) Hope to see the venue and perhaps some Sm4sh tournaments soon!

Have a nice day!

ConnMan

Smash Cadet
Hi all! New to Smash Boards here and I've been looking for local tournaments to try out! I'll keep an eye on this, but just really wanted to show my support for a Sm4sh tourney. I understand securing playable copies is hard, just wanted to add on to the growing demand for it! I know for a fact, me and three others would more than likely enter every week we could if there were one! In the meantime, I think I'll brush up slightly on my PM game and try and scope out the competition! (Doubt I'll make it past two matches in PM!!) Hope to see the venue and perhaps some Sm4sh tournaments soon!

Have a nice day!
Hey Jake thanks for letting me know! I'd love to talk to you more about Smash 4. When you make to a weekly, be sure to introduce yourself to me! My name is Dan Conn. If you have 4 people willing to play smash 4 each week that may very well be enough to add the event to our list! Lets keep in touch.

Plisken

Smash Rookie
I really wanna attend this tournament at some point, but not until smash 4 is added to the list of games. (I'm no good at melee or PM). When will smash 4 be added?

SuperShus

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
East#694
Gee I'd like to make it to melee but it's always too early in the day usually! Luckily today my class is cancelled but usually I can't make it.
I'm trying to bring Zela and MalvmMalvm today. B]

ConnMan

Smash Cadet
Gee I'd like to make it to melee but it's always too early in the day usually! Luckily today my class is cancelled but usually I can't make it.
I'm trying to bring Zela and MalvmMalvm today. B]
Thats great I'm glad you are coming! We also might be changing the melee time till later in the day so stay tuned for that!

SuperShus

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
East#694
Thats great I'm glad you are coming! We also might be changing the melee time till later in the day so stay tuned for that!
Well Zela's got a 7pm class this semester so a later time probably won't do much :$

Plisken

Smash Rookie
Hello again. I'm just checking to see if smash 4 has been added to the tournament yet. You recently told me it would be added in a couple of weeks.

ConnMan

Smash Cadet
Hello again. I'm just checking to see if smash 4 has been added to the tournament yet. You recently told me it would be added in a couple of weeks.
Hey there! I am hoping to start smash 4 this upcoming Monday! My only obstacle is lack of setups. Would you be able to provide a setup with a tv if you could attend?

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
I think I could provide a TV and Wii U, but I don't have a Gamecube adapter or any functional Gamecube controllers. I also use the Classic Controller Pro to play Smash 4, and am wondering whether it would be acceptable to play using that instead of a Gamecube controller.

~Unknown~

Smash Apprentice
I think I could provide a TV and Wii U, but I don't have a Gamecube adapter or any functional Gamecube controllers. I also use the Classic Controller Pro to play Smash 4, and am wondering whether it would be acceptable to play using that instead of a Gamecube controller.
Same here i could bring a tv and wii u. But I don't have an adapter

Plisken

Smash Rookie
Hey there! I am hoping to start smash 4 this upcoming Monday! My only obstacle is lack of setups. Would you be able to provide a setup with a tv if you could attend?
We might be able to bring a system. But I'm not sure about a tv. we also don't have many controllers besides a gamepad and wii motes. I'll see what I can do If I can make it this week.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
So is Smash 4 actually happening today, and if so, what time? Still haven't gotten a response.

Plisken

Smash Rookie
I'm not going to be able to make it today unfortunately. Hopefully next week. But what time will the tournament start? will it be streamed?

ConnMan

Smash Cadet
Hey guys! Thank you so much for your patience! If you look at the updated schedule, you will see that I have added Smash for wii u, and Melee Doubles! I have also moved the melee singles time later and moved PM a bit earlier. If you plan to come for smash 4 then please help by bringing a setup if possible! Spread the word and get more people to come out! I am excited to meet all of you!

Karcist

Smash Journeyman
I'll be there. I can bring a gamecube controller adapter if you guys are short on those.

EDIT: I can also bring a Wii U. I just can't bring a TV because my TV weighs like 50+ pounds and I have a bad back. lol

EDIT #2: Ugh, now my job wants me to work on monday night.

Last edited:

maluxian

Smash Rookie
NNID
maluxa
3DS FC
0688-5475-0137
Monday's a bad day for me, but if there's ever a weekly on Saturday I can provide a full set-up for Sm4sh.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Not gonna be able to come in today. I'll be back next week though.

Top Bottom