• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Aug 19, 2015] UM Biweeklies Summer 2015 (Ann Arbor, MI)

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
UM Biweeklies Summer 2015

For the next few months, Michigan Melee is hosting weekly tournaments on campus at the University of Michigan! These are intended to be fun, inexpensive, low-commitment events for local players looking for extra competition. With an installment of the series every week, there will be a ton of playing time in Ann Arbor this summer. So come out and fire up some games with us -- Smashers of absolutely all levels, beginner to advanced, are welcome to participate. Just remember to bring your own GameCube controller.

UPDATE 5/14/15: Although the name is still UM Biweeklies, we will be doing weekly installments this summer due to better venue availability during the school off-season. Get hype!

Venue:
Michigan Union Anderson Room ABC
530 S. State Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109

Use the TV dropoff to unload any setups you bring, but make sure to move your car afterwards. Parking is free almost everywhere after 6pm on weekdays. There are several street parking options on Thompson St, Maynard St, Jefferson St, and State St, all very close to Michigan Union.

Schedule

6pm Doors Open
7pm Melee Singles registration closes
11pm Doors Close

Doors open at 6pm, and registration closes at 7pm for Melee Singles. We will start Melee Singles at 7pm. We hope this schedule allows for anyone outside of Ann Arbor to avoid rush hour and still arrive in time for Melee Singles.

Entry Information

Venue Fee: $2 per person (required from all attendees)
Melee Singles: $3 per person

* Please bring setups to help the tournament run smoothly! Every extra setup makes a difference.

* Show up to the venue between 6pm-7pm to register, and please bring exact change (one $5 bill in this case).

* Bring your own GameCube controller. This is standard for all Smash tournaments, as we don't carry any spare controllers. Buy a GameCube controller if you don't own one already!

* Venue Fee will be waived for anyone who brings a full setup: CRT TV + GameCube/Wii + Melee disc + memory card.

Melee Ruleset:
* 4 stock, 8:00 minute timer.
* Items OFF.
* Master Hand is banned.
* Dave’s Stupid Rule: You cannot counterpick any stage you have won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
* All sets are best-of-3 (Xanadu style) until further notice due to time constraints.

Stage Strike from Neutrals for the first match of the set in “1221″ fashion:
1. First player strikes one stage.
2. Second player strikes two stages.
3. First player strikes one stage.

Stagelist:

Neutral (Singles)
Battlefield
Yoshi’s Story
Dream Land
Final Destination
Fountain of Dreams

Counterpick (Singles)
Pokemon Stadium

Neutral (Doubles)
Battlefield
Yoshi’s Story
Dream Land
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium

Counterpick (Doubles)
Kongo Jungle 64

After each match:
1. Winner announces stage ban (except in best-of-5 sets)
2. Loser chooses counterpick stage
3. Winner chooses their character
4. Loser chooses their character

Additional Rules:
* Player’s Choice Clause: You may play by a rule outside of this ruleset if your opponent agrees to it as long as it does not deliberately delay the tournament process. In the event of a disagreement, house rules stand.
* Double Blind Character Picks: Players may elect to double blind pick their characters for the first match in case of any disputes.
* Neutral Spawn Points: Players may elect to use neutral spawn points to decide controller ports for the first match in case of any disputes.
* Glitches: Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

Doubles-specific rules (for future reference if we run a doubles event):
* Life stealing is allowed
* Friendly Fire is turned ON
* Pause is turned OFF

Code of Conduct:

* No food or drink inside the venue per building event policy. Finish your meals outside or elsewhere in the building during the weekend.
* No alcohol or illegal substances inside the venue. Getting caught with these items or evidence of the presence of these items will result in disqualification from the event and eviction from the venue.
* No fighting or weaponry inside the venue. Throwing controllers or acting in a way that could pose a danger to other players will result in disqualification from the event and eviction from the venue.
* No refusal to play on certain setups barring extreme circumstances. All players agree to have their matches recorded if requested by the TO.
* No coaching in-game or between games of a set. The TO reserves the right to disqualify players for either coaching or receiving in-game coaching during a set.
* All disqualifications due to tardiness will be complete DQs, meaning the disqualified player will be removed from both winners and losers bracket, or removed from the entire event if late for a pools match.
* The TO is granted license to use any and all types of video that you may be present in at the event, including camera recordings, livestream broadcasts, and captured gameplay footage.
* The TO is granted license to photograph your image, likeness, or depiction at the event, and you waive any claim for compensation for the event’s use or publication of photographs taken of you.
* The TO reserves the right to deny entry into the tournament to any player suspected of committing anything considered a crime or acting in a manner that is detrimental to the integrity of the event.
* The TO reserves the right to deny payout from event winnings to any player suspected of intentionally throwing a match, splitting a payout, or committing any other form of bracket manipulation.
* The TO reserves the right to settle any unforeseen situations that may occur, and his judgment is final. In extreme situations, rules may be altered between phases of a tournament in the best interests of the event.
* All ejections or disqualifications due to violations of the Code of Conduct or individual game rules will be without refund.

Discussion

For daily discussion, make sure to join the Michigan Melee Facebook group. Smashers from not only Ann Arbor, but the entire state of Michigan, post here on a regular basis. You can also check out our website for more information about UM Smash and our bigger tournaments such as SWEET and The Big House. We look forward to seeing you at an event soon!

Last edited:

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Results:

Sunday, September 14, 2014
UM Biweekly 1

Results: http://michigansmash.challonge.com/umb1 (45 entrants)
UM Biweekly 1 Melee Singles
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
Kalamazhu
$384.00
2nd
Moose
$192.00
3rd
KJH
$64.00
4th
roki
5th
Dre
5th
Juggleguy
7th
Napkin
7th
Toadster
9th
MinorThreat

Sunday, September 28, 2014
UM Biweekly 2 feat. Armada

Results: http://michigansmash.challonge.com/umb2 (63 entrants)
UM Biweekly 2 Melee Singles
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
Armada
2nd
Duck
3rd
kalamazhu
4th
KJH
5th
Moooooooose
5th
Juggleguy
7th
MB-Smash
7th
SonUvaBeach
9th
rokimomi
9th
Hellsing

Sunday, October 12, 2014
UM Biweekly 3

Results: http://michigansmash.challonge.com/umb3 (52 entrants)
UM Biweekly 3 Melee Singles
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
duck
2nd
moose
3rd
Juggleguy
4th
DarkLouis
5th
Hellsing
5th
Dre
7th
CTL | kd
7th
Paper
9th
Iron
9th
roki

Sunday, October 26, 2014
UM Biweekly 4

Results: http://michigansmash.challonge.com/umb4 (64 entrants)
UM Biweekly 4 Melee Singles
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
Duck
2nd
Moose
3rd
Kalamazhu
4th
KJH
5th
Ginger
5th
SonuvaBeach
7th
Juggleguy
7th
kd
9th
Hellsing
9th
tm

Sunday, November 9, 2014
UM Biweekly 5

Results: http://michigansmash.challonge.com/umb5 (62 entrants)
UM Biweekly 5 Melee Singles
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
Kalamazhu
$384.00
2nd
Duck
$192.00
3rd
KJH
$64.00
4th
Juggleguy
5th
SonuvaBeach
5th
hellsing
7th
roki
7th
Toadster
9th
THuGz
9th
JU4N

Sunday, November 23, 2014
UM Biweekly 6

Results: http://michigansmash.challonge.com/umb6 (60 entrants)
UM Biweekly 6 Melee Singles
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
Duck
2nd
KJH
3rd
Kalamazhu
4th
SonuvaBeach
5th
Abu
5th
Juggleguy
7th
tm
7th
Lain
9th
Napkin
9th
Toadster

Sunday, December 7, 2014
UM Biweekly 7

Results: http://michigansmash.challonge.com/umb7 (40 entrants)
UM Biweekly 7 Melee Singles
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
Shady
2nd
Beach
3rd
Hellsing
4th
tm
5th
Paper
5th
Juggleguy
7th
Yoyo
7th
GG l 2Shadez
9th
Nutsack
9th
Mules

Last edited:

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I considered it, but PM won't be at any of these, sorry. There's not enough room nor enough time to fit in any additional games.

Napkin

Smash Cadet
1. Are we going to have a regular stream for this?
2. Is there pools?

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I haven't lined up a stream. There is excellent internet at the venue though, so if anyone can stream, please contact me.

No pools, just $5 entry straight bracket. This is how Xanadu, MOAL, and other weekly/biweekly tourneys do it and we'll be going with the same thing until further notice.

Last edited:

Nominate10

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-3932-8404
I really wanna go to this (MI tourneys have been nonexistent lately...) but I can't arrive until about 2:40ish due to my work schedule. Is it still possible for me to enter?

Also, is bringing a wii (not using hacks) + melee disc instead of a gamecube acceptable?

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I really wanna go to this (MI tourneys have been nonexistent lately...) but I can't arrive until about 2:40ish due to my work schedule. Is it still possible for me to enter?

Also, is bringing a wii (not using hacks) + melee disc instead of a gamecube acceptable?
Unfortunately we'll be starting promptly at 2pm. You're welcome to drop by for friendlies though.

A Wii + Melee disc is acceptable for these biweeklies only. Keep in mind they will not be eligible for setup discounts at larger events like TBH4 or SWEET.

Nominate10

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-3932-8404
Aww. Oh well. Guess it's the moneymatch life for me then!

Paper_M

Smash Rookie
I really wanted to make it out to the first of these Biweeklies, but work got in the way. :/ Hopefully I'll be able to shift my schedule around a bit so I can start coming to all of these.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Still looking for a streamer. If you can stream, please contact me or CTL. It'd be a shame if Armada matches went unrecorded.

BlueStar03

Smash Cadet
I mean for friendlies, I know the tournament is Melee only. I'm wondering if anyone is going to bring their 3ds and will want to play.

Napkin

Smash Cadet
Willing to 20$ Money Match any non-power-ranked Fox or Falco next biweekly.

Edit: I'll take only up to 2

Last edited:

ShinsuYavi

D-Tier Melee Rookie
I eagerly anticipate the day I make it past Round Two... :grrr:

Last edited:

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Plz god, GIVE US A PM BRACKET!!!
Unfortunately we don't have the space or resources to run PM at full capacity during these biweeklies. However, there will be PM at some of the SWEET events starting in January. Those should all be really big events with tons of playing time for everyone. Stay tuned.

RigaKid

Smash Rookie
Unfortunately we don't have the space or resources to run PM at full capacity during these biweeklies. However, there will be PM at some of the SWEET events starting in January. Those should all be really big events with tons of playing time for everyone. Stay tuned.
well looks like i should arrive early to practice melee, lets hope PM is pretty close to it.

Top Bottom