• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Nov 1-2, 2014] Fight Pitt V: A Melee National (Pittsburgh, PA)

kofinater

Smash Apprentice

Fight Pitt V
Melee National Tournament With 3DS Side Event
November 1-2, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA

We got Nationals in Pittsburgh! The Pitt Smash Bros. Club in association with all of PGH/NEOH is proud to present you Fight Pitt V. The Fight Pitt series has attracted many players from both the Midwest and Atlantic North with 170+ in attendance at the last Fight Pitt. With these numbers we've decided to move to 2 days. Mango and M2K have split the last 2 Fight Pitt titles, will the rivalry continue, or will there be a newcomer in the lurks to take Fight Pitt?

Two days. More burritos. More hype sets. Bigger venue. Less police.

Why should you attend?

* Bigger Venue then the previous Fight Pitt
* Round robin pools for as much as 4 times the usual tournament experience
* Professional livestream broadcasts by VGBootCamp #duckthepolice #GimRIsFreed
* CHIPOTLE
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER NOW
VENUE

William Pitt Union-Ballroom
3959 Fifth Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

The William Pitt Union, formerly known as the luxurious Hotel Schenley, hosts an incredible mirrored ballroom on the main floor with standing room for 400 people. Far larger than our previous venue, it will more than accommodate the space required for this major.

Parking can be conveniently found at the Soldiers and Sailors Garage, located across the street. It has a $5 weekend rate. Drop-off details for setups are to-be-announced, but Bigelow Boulevard has plenty of temporary parking space to allow you to quickly unload your setups from your car. In addition, the garage itself is also extremely close to the venue. Further parking accommodations can be found here:http://www.pts.pitt.edu/parking/visitor.html.

Keep in mind that S&S Garage closes at midnight and your car will be stuck there overnight. Unless you have a room inside of Oakland, you will need to move your car out on the street if you wish to drive it somewhere after midnight. Due to how we have scheduled the event however, this should be a non-issue.

SCHEDULE

November 1st
10:00am – Doors Open/Check in
11:00am – 3DS/Melee Singles Pool Round 1 Wave A
1:00pm – 3DS/Melee Singles Pool Round 1 Wave B
3:00pm – 3DS/Melee Singles Pool Round 1 Wave C
5:00pm – 3DS/Melee Singles Pool Round 1 Wave D
8:00pm – Melee Singles R2 pools

November 2nd
10:00am – Check in
11:00am – 3DS Top 8, Melee Doubles
3:00pm – Melee Singles top 48
6:00pm – Melee Singles top 8

Schedule to be adjusted based on attendance but you can count on that end time as far as planning travel.

TRAVEL

If flying, you'll want to arrive at the Pittsburgh International Airport. From there you can take the 28X Port Authority bus to Oakland, which will drop you off right on Pitt's campus. You can get off anywhere on Forbes Avenue and be within walking distance, but we recommend either the Forbes/Atwood or Forbes/Bigelow stops as they are closest.

If arriving via Megabus or Greyhound, any of the 61 or 71 series Port Authority buses will take you to Pitt's campus from the bus station.

HOUSING

We signed an agreement with the hotel that is walking distance to the venue for a discount, here is some information:
Wyndham Pittsburgh University Center
100 Lytton Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Phone: 412 682-6200
www.wyndhampittsburghuniversitycenter.com
Group Code: 10316841FI
Group Rate: $139/night for 2 Queens or 1 King
Check In: 4:00pm
Check Out: 11:00am

To receive the group rate you must reserve by Friday October 10th. The regular rate is about $100 more so keep that in mind.

REGISTRATION

EVENTS
We'll be running Melee Singles, Melee Doubles, and Smash 4 3ds as a side event

RULES

Super Smash Brothers Melee:

General Rules
  • Game Settings: 4 Stocks, 8 Minute Time Limit
  • Items are disabled.
  • Stalling with moves such as Jigglypuff's Rising Pound or Peach's Wall Bomber is banned
  • Glitches such as Ice Climbers’s Freeze Glitch and Mewtwo’s Soul Stunner are banned.
  • Pause option is disabled in the game menu. If left on, accidental pausing mid match forfeits a stock.
  • You may not choose any stage you have won on during a set, unless agreed by both players.
  • A tie is determined by most stocks, and then if still tied, by percentage. If percentage is tied, the match is fully replayed.
  • Playing as Master Hand is banned
  • Wobbling is Legal, wobbling past %250 is considered stalling

Doubles Rules
  • Friendly Fire enabled
  • Life stealing stocks from a teammate is allowed

Stage List
    Neutral Stages
    • Final Destination
    • Battlefield
    • Yoshi’s Story
    • Dream Land
    • Fountain of Dreams [Singles Only]
    • Pokemon Stadium [Doubles Only]

Counter-Pick Stages
    • Pokemon Stadium [Singles Only]
    • Kongo Jungle 64 [Doubles Only]

Match Procedure
    • Players select their characters. Either player may choose to Blind Pick. In this case, each player secretly tells a third player their character before picking with the third player verifying their selections.
    • Players play Rock-Paper-Scissors. Winner chooses between selecting controller port or first Stage Strike
    • Players take turns removing stages from the Neutral Stages list above based upon the results of the previous rule. The first player to strike removes one(1) stage from the list, the second player removes two(2), and the first player then chooses from the remaining two(2) stages.
    • Either player may elect for neutral start
    • The players play the first match of the set
    • Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage from the full list of stages, both Neutral and Counter-Pick. Does not apply to Best of 5 sets.
    • The Losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match. Cannot choose the stage banned in the previous step, nor a stage they've already won on during this set, unless agreed.
    • The winning player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
    • The losing player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
    • The losing player of the preceding match may change their controller port.
    • The next match is played
    • Repeat Steps 5 through 10 for all subsequent matches until the set is complete.

Super Smash Brothers for 3DS

General Rules
  • Game Settings: 2 Stocks, 5 Minute Time Limit
  • Items are disabled.
  • Yoshi Super Jump and Teleport glitches are banned.
  • Custom move are DISABLED
  • Mii Fighters are Banned
  • You may not choose any stage you have won on during a set, unless agreed by both players.
  • A tie is determined by most stocks, and then if still tied, by percentage. If percentage is tied, the match is fully replayed.

• Stage List
    Neutral Stages
    • Final Destination
    • Battle Field
    • Yoshi's Island Brawl
    Counter-Pick Stages
    • Arena Ferox
    • Prism Tower
    • Omega Version of Any Stage

Match Procedure
    • Players select their characters. Either player may choose to Blind Pick. In this case, each player secretly tells a third player their character before picking with the third player verifying their selections.
    • Players play Rock-Paper-Scissors. Winner chooses between selecting controller port or first Stage Strike
    • Players take turns removing stages from the Neutral Stages list above based upon the results of the previous rule. The first player to strike removes one(1) stage from the list, the second player then chooses from the remaining two(2) stages.
    • The players play the first match of the set
    • Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage from the full list of stages, both Neutral and Counter-Pick. Banning Final Destination also bans all Omega Stages. Does not apply to Best of 5 sets.
    • The Losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match. Cannot choose the stage banned in the previous step, nor a stage they've already won on during this set, unless agreed.
    • The winning player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
    • The losing player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
    • The next match is played
    • Repeat Steps 5 through 10 for all subsequent matches until the set is complete.

SPONSORS
TBD

FAQ

Q. Do I need my own 3DS to compete in the Smash 4 3DS event?

A. YES. A THOUSAND TIMES YES. A large reason in choosing 3DS over Project M was that 3DS doesn't utilize potential Melee setups. Not having your own 3DS complicates things. If you are found to not have a 3DS for your own personal use for the event, you will be disqualified without refund. We will ask you to produce your 3DS and copy of Smash 4 3DS at sign in, and will mark your badge accordingly.

Q. Can I use (insert 3DS modification here) in the Smash 4 3DS event?

A. No.Only official Nintendo licensed products are allowed. You can use external grips and the Circle Pad Pro (if supported), but no internal or external unlicensed modifications (other than visual). This does not apply to 3DS capture devices, which are the only modifications that are allowed. If you have a 3DS capture device and plan on using it to capture your gameplay footage, please let us know at sign-in.

Q. I already registered and paid but I can't make it! Can I get a refund?

A. Unfortunately, we cannot issue refunds for this event. If issues occur in the PayPal process, they are due to PayPal's error and not ours, and you should contact PayPal to have them address your issue. We will be rigorously testing our preregistration with many real registrations of our players to ensure that the system is working at complete capacity before it goes live.

Q. I made an error on/would like to change my registration. How can I do this?A. You can't due to limitations of the system. Please enter your information correctly the first time. Please take the time to review it before submitting. Please contact us at pghneohsmashbros@gmail.com with any questions.

Q. I don't have a teammate yet! What should I do?

A. Register with the name box for your teammate blank, and contact pghneohsmashbros@gmail.com when they do register at a later time. Please include both your gamertag and your teammate's gamertage along with the subject line, "[AFTER-REG TEAMMATE]-(your gamertag here)". If the deadline occurs and you still do not have a teammate listed, we will attempt to match you with another player in the same situation. To avoid all this, please do try to wait to register until both you and your teammate can register.

Q. Will there be a discount for bringing Melee setups?

A. Yes. The discount will be scaled based on the charge of the venue fee. We are planning to keep our costs very low, so players who bring setups will certainly be rewarded! This will be handled at sign-in.

Q. What do I need to bring?

1. Your own GameCube controller.

2. A Photo-ID to confirm your identity at sign-in.

3. Your own 3DS and copy of Smash 4 3DS (if applicable).

Q. I didn't register, but I just want to watch/play friendlies. Can I pay at the door?

A. No. All attendees, whether they are competing or not, need to register and prepay online. If you do not have a registration, you will not be given a badge and will be turned away at the door. The only exception to this is for that of a parent/guardian, which will be handled on a case-to-case basis.

Q. Does this tournament have an age requirement?

A. No. We welcome attendees of all ages, as well as their parents or guardians!

Q. Can I sell merchandise at FPV?

A. We have a very strict cash-handling policy with the university, so generally no. Please contact pghneohsmashbros@gmail.com with the subject line, "[MERCHANT REQUEST]-(your name or company)" and we will see what we can do. Any attendee that is selling merchandise without the consent of the TOs will be removed from the venue.

Q. Can I eat, drink, or smoke in the venue?A. You can eat and drink, but please be respectful of the facilities. The university is very generous to us when they do not have to be. In no way, shape, or form can you smoke in the venue.

Q. WILL CHIPOTLE BE THERE??? HOW DO I GET MY FREE BURRITO??!!?!?!?!?

A. Details to come

Last edited:

M@v

Subarashii!
You should really come to this tournament, and here's why:
1. All of Pittsburgh's best and brightest TOs and community contributors are teaming up to run this awesome event (Beanwolf, Carroll, Kofi, Myself, just to name a few). Not to mention we have the support of both Pitt and CMU smash groups. I heard that GIMR guy is going to run an awesome stream too.
2. Chipotle is a sponsor for this event (Isn't this one alone incentive enough?)
3. This will be the 2nd 3DS tourney in Pittsburgh, so staff will already have experience running this game and have a head start in making a smooth and well run 3ds tournament, despite it only being out a month!
4. You get to be a part of Pittsburgh's first true "National" (2 day+ event with entrant numbers easily in the triple digits).

We are going to make this event one you won't forget, so make sure you pre-reg and we will see you in November!

Last edited:

_umbra_

Smash Champion
I was talking to Al about it, and we should be in attendance ^_^

As long as every peach there dittos me <3

Last edited:

kofinater

Smash Apprentice
You'll get a cool something for sure, we're working out what we would like as our tournament goer identifier, stay tuned!

garm993

Smash Cadet
Yo, can we get a WV vs Pitt (I guess technically PA, but just bring your best) crew battle thrown in for this?

Last edited:

kofinater

Smash Apprentice
If there's time, we got a crew battle more relevant to most participants in the works. We should do that at a local sometime.

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
Follow up on my last post because I forgot, will there be any smash 4 there? I know its only on the 3ds in November but meh, might as well ask.

M@v

Subarashii!
Yes. Smash 4 3DS will be the 3rd event behind melee singles and doubles.

Last edited:

Dos_Equis

Smash Cadet
The Pitt Smash Bros. Club at the University of Pittsburgh, in conjunction with the PGH / NEOH Smash Region, is proud to announce that Fight Pitt, Pittsburgh’s largest smash tournament, is back for its fifth installment.

In 2013, founding TO Matt “Bearsfan” Sybeldon, who also founded the Pitt Smash club, lit a spark in our region with a club consisting of less than a dozen members. Now, with a weekly regional tournament hosted by Pitt & CMU, and last Fight Pitt bringing in over 150 entrants from around the nation, we’re proud to announce...

that Fight Pitt V registration is OPEN!
http://pghneohsmash.com/fight-pitt-v/

Follow the link & click “Register for Fight Pitt V here!” For future reference, all information will be posted on this web page, so make sure you bookmark it! Currently, all information about the games, venue, parking, schedule, and, MOST important, housing are already up.

ONLINE REGISTRATION CLOSES ON OCTOBER 25th AT MIDNIGHT! Online registration is REQUIRED!!

Reasons you should come:
1. FREE CHIPOTLE BURRITOS!
2. Streamed by VGBootCamp!
3. Every player will get at LEAST ONE recorded match from one of our several recording setups!
4. A beautiful venue large enough for 400 people!
5. Be a part of PGH history! Last time, we Ducked the police & freed GimR, but this time it is a 2-DAY EVENT! The first ever 2-day, national tournament in Pittsburgh!
6. One of the first national Sm4sh 3DS tournaments!
7. MW vs. EC crew battle?!
8. BORP GAUNTLET?!?!

Costs:
Venue: $12 ($5 refund for bringing a FULL setup)
Melee Singles: $10
Melee Doubles: $10 per person
Sm4sh 3DS: $10 (MUST HAVE 3DS & CARTRIDGE!)

Caps:
To avoid the events of Fight Pitt IV, we are capping all games. Make sure you register early so you don’t risk not being able to enter!

Melee Singles: 288 players
Melee Doubles: 128 players (64 teams)
Sm4sh 3DS: 128

Tentative Schedule:
November 1st
  • 10:00am – Check in
  • 11:00am – 3DS, Melee Singles Pool A
  • 1:00pm – 3DS, Melee Singles Pool B
  • 3:00pm – 3DS, Melee Singles Pool C
  • 5:00pm – 3DS, Melee Singles Pool D
  • 8:00pm – Melee Singles R2W1
  • 9:00pm – Melee Singles R2W2

November 2nd
  • 10:00am – Check in
  • 11:00am – 3DS Top 8, Melee Doubles
  • 1:00pm – Melee Doubles top 4
  • 3:00pm – Melee Singles top 48
  • 5:00pm – Break
  • 6:00pm – Melee Singles top 8

steakhouse

Smash Apprentice
any PM action ? a side-event perhaps ? I really want to come but I'm not very interested in improving at Melee atm, and Montreal-Pittsburgh is a little far for a non-PM tourney in my case

kofinater

Smash Apprentice
any PM action ? a side-event perhaps ? I really want to come but I'm not very interested in improving at Melee atm, and Montreal-Pittsburgh is a little far for a non-PM tourney in my case
No PM at all, sorry.

Last edited:

Dos_Equis

Smash Cadet
A reminder that hotel reservations with $100 off has a deadline of OCTOBER 10TH! Make sure you get your plans in order in the next couple of days so you can save some money!

Nergal69

Smash Apprentice
The hotel with the $100 off reservations is completely booked, as of now.

Last edited:

kofinater

Smash Apprentice
The hotel with the $100 off reservations is completely booked, as of now.
They've extended the discount until Monday and have told me our block is not completely filled. You may want to try giving them a call.

RiK 22

Smash Rookie
I'm looking for people to join a 3 person carpool/hotel split to anyone that's on the way from central Indiana to Pittsburgh. Our vehicle can hold 7

M@v

Subarashii!
The OG Penn State crew will be out in force for this one. Can't ****ing wait.

Last edited:

M@v

Subarashii!
Rules: Smash 4 3DS (Kofi will Update the OP as well)

-2 Stocks, 5 minutes.
-All matches are best of 3 except for winners finals, losers finals, and grands, which are best of 5.
-Yoshi Super Jump and Teleport glitches are banned.
-Custom move are DISABLED (This is only due to how new the game is)
-Since custom moves are banned, Mii Fighters are also banned, since they are basically walking custom movesets.
-Custom Equipment is Banned.

Stage Strike from Neutrals for the first match of the set in “1-1-1″ fashion:
1. First player strikes one stage.
2. Second player strikes one stage,
3. Remaining stage is played

-After the first match, each player gets one ban. If you ban FD, you ban all omega stages as well. This is the only time a ban counts for multiple stages.
-Dave's Stupid Rule is in effect: You cannot go back to a stage you already won on in the set unless agreed upon.
-In case of a timeout, victor is decided by 1. Stock advantage then 2. Percent advantage.
-Gentlemen's Clause: Any stage can be played if both contestants agree to it.

Stagelist:

-Starters-
FD
BF
Yoshi's Brawl

-Counterpicks-
Arena Ferox
Prism Tower
Omega Version of any stage

Last edited:
Top Bottom