• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NorCal Melee Power Rankings - Summer '15 Update - In Sickness and In Filth

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i hope kevin brings the hype at evo!

it's gonna be one hell of a tournament

norcal is coming in full effect and we're gonna do work

FourStar

Smash Ace
at evo its gonna be a bunch of tristate, arizona, cali, and florida players in the brackets. cali is gonna wreck

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
it's really a tossup. haven't had a big major since apex 2013 and a lot of people seem to have been improving since then. that evo fire!

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
WOW

this one looks awesome

BRANDON AND AUSTIN

that is what i like to see

hope to see you all at a tournament again some time soon, when i get certain other things finished!

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
these rankings don't mean much. my thoughts:

1-5:

ppu: one of the five or ten most talented players in the world and a strong no. 1

sfat: uber talented but loses focus. if he doesn't respect you, you can beat him before he knows what hit him. if he does respect you, you better know how to handle pressure.

shroomed: mr. fundamental. only weakness is lack of pressure. clutch.

zhu: fundamentals but struggles with nerves, pressure. rolls too much but only if you make him respect you

hmw: plays freely which makes him a threat v everyone. only weakness is confidence, or lack thereof

6-20:

clear drop-off after brandon. any of these players could lose to unranked. a bunch of solid players but none of them have shown elite upside

silent spectre: read-based falcon who spams hitboxes. don't get intimidated and he'll make enough technical flubs to give you enough openings to go to town.

azusa: never seen him play

darrell: haven't seen him play much seems to have huge volatility in different matchups

phil: defensive fox with low upside and a high floor. bad at pressuring/creating openings but good at making you earn your openings. isn't super competitive so he has good nerves

hyprid: play to his weaknesses (approaching, pressuring) and not his strengths (dash dance, grab combos).

bizz: super solid but relies on preconceived setups too often. you beat him by figuring out how he approaches and baiting him into whiffing, then going to town. has a great combo game so it's all about not getting hit.

scar: i think he's washed up tbh

bob$: haven't seen him play enough. really good player, dunno who he loses to/what matchups and styles give him trouble

L: clearly has problems with nerves imo. but may be the only player from the 6-20 ranking with the potential to break top 5.

ky: havent seen him play in years

alan: league average peach imo. very good in teams, free in singles

hyuga: defensive fundamental player who cannot create his own openings but can capitalize on your mistakes just fine. so if you're better the safe way to win is to play not to get hit. it won't be pretty but you'll win comfortably.

toph: spastic fox. strong combo game. ledge dashes too much. impatient. if you know how to handle high-level pressure you'll be fine.

only seen berto play at lan hammer but he looks amazing

never seen mooninite play

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
underrating jeff. honestly jeff or brandon losing to an unranked player is pretty inconceivable. could say this about others below them as well, but them especially

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
i can see anyone from 6-20 losing to replicate, tang, germ, lord, chok, etc.

i said brandon was one of the 5 who wouldnt.

when u think about it it's not much of a diss at all.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i am not ranked bc of inactivity. not saying i would be if i went to more tournaments... i have been stagnant since evo and i didn't do too well. but anyway, norcal has had a long history of unranked players (due to inactivity) being able to take on the ranked ones. so that's not really a good argument against the legitimacy of this ranking system which has been evolving for many years

i have no idea who you are, but if you don't know how good azusa is you clearly don't have a good measuring stick to measure norcal's skill with. the kid is great.

it's true that perhaps after #7 or 8 or whatever, a lot of players are evenly matched and could beat each other. but i really have no idea why you felt like you needed to post your personal criticism on each player, with something negative to say about everyone past #2.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
yeah i misread wrt brandon. wrt jeff, i'd be very surprised if he lost to any of those players except lord who is a different animal. don't mean any disrespect to any those players. there are just very few instances of jeff losing to people who aren't ranked high, much less unranked. he's one of those guys who seems to poop on anyone below a certain threshhold

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
i am not ranked bc of inactivity. not saying i would be if i went to more tournaments... i have been stagnant since evo and i didn't do too well. but anyway, norcal has had a long history of unranked players (due to inactivity) being able to take on the ranked ones. so that's not really a good argument against the legitimacy of this ranking system which has been evolving for many years
it's not an argument, it's an observation

i have no idea who you are, but if you don't know how good azusa is you clearly don't have a good measuring stick to measure norcal's skill with. the kid is great.

it's true that perhaps after #7 or 8 or whatever, a lot of players are evenly matched and could beat each other. but i really have no idea why you felt like you needed to post your personal criticism on each player, with something negative to say about everyone past #2.
it's a free country. ur free to ignore it.

@julian: lucien would 2-stock jeff imo

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
maybe i've misinterpreted your intent when you say they can lose to unranked players. i take that to mean you don't view their skill level as being dramatically different than unranked players. lucien/lord are pretty clearly exceptional cases. unranked only due to lack of attendance; the skill isn't in question. sure jeff could lose to lucien but lucien is really good. he's capable of beating anyone on ou pr, or the socal pr for that matter,but says more about him than anyone on those lists

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Aside from putting Lord/Lucien in the same list as the other unranked players, I don't think his post is that far off. Also, Scar's not washed up he just fluctuates wildly based on his mentality that day/hour/minute. He can get 2nd at a local one day (GC 8/31) and 13th at another.

Nos

Smash Rookie
Shroomed master race. Let's see an update :) Also I think Lord has been to enough tournies to finally take his rightful spot at number 5?

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
more sheikums yayuhz

money match me (fawks) when we meet? no friendlies or anything, just straight to it, nothing but dat adaption yo

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
definitely not going to socal regionals. i'll be at pat's house if you make it down there though.

i only do best of 3 for singles. no point in doing best of 5 when tournament is (usually) best of 3. $5 is fine.

Top Bottom