• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No tumble after falling back in shield on a plateform?

Yann J.Ridin

Smash Apprentice
Switzerland, La Suisse, Pays de Neuchâtel
Hello Luiji*z,

I was watching Eddy Mex VS Westballz and I saw this http://youtu.be/FHirwCN6Uyg?t=3m2s

Eddy is under pressure and fall from the plateform with is shield. Normally you fall with a tumble animation and you can't do anything for like a half second. In this video Eddy cancel this very annoying tumble and I understand how. We can heard the sound of the double jump...

Can you give some explanations?

Thank you,

Yann Jah Ridin'

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Interesting catch! The only way to explain this I can think of is that eddy jumps OoS just before sliding off the plat so that that jumpsquat cancels and he simply falls normally. I would probably need a 60 fps video to confirm the theory though. I tested it in practice, and the result looks similar.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Tumble animation (not hitstun) can be cancelled with any move or jump, and you can also get out of tumble by wiggling the control stick.

Eddy Mexico fell and tumbled, immediately double-jumped to get out of tumble, and then immediately cancelled his double jump with a down-b.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
@ EddyBearr EddyBearr watch the clip closely, eddy didn't go into tumble, and neither did he dj out fast. He dj'd halfway down to floor, and at that point he would've been like sideways had he tumbled. Also you can't immediately dj out of the tumble that is caused by sliding off while shielding.

Last edited:

JoeyPlunk

Smash Rookie
I watched a few times in 1/4 speed and I agree with what tauKhan says. It looks like eddy inputted a jump OOS, but Luigi slides off the platform during the jump-squat animation before he actually jumps, so no tumble.

My question would be if he did this on purpose. Cause that'd be absolutely awesome.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Actually you don't even go into tumble straight away after falling off in shield, or at least not in techable/actionable. I just realized that's the reason fox can't tech that, because he'll not go into tumble fast enough, and will just land normally instead. The animation that happens seems uninterruptible so far, you can dj out only after you go into tumble.

Edit: Schmooblidon just confirmed that you first go into 26 frames long animation missfoot before going to tumble.

Last edited:
Top Bottom