• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No MOR | Axe - Axe Departs From Mortality eSports

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

Mortality eSports has announced that "Jeffrey 'Axe' Williamson has decided to separate from Mortality eSports in order to pursue other opportunities." After nine months of being signed on with Mortality eSports, placing 5th at Evo 2014 with the MOR | tag, and having several other impressive and notably victories while on the team it is a sad moment for the Mortality eSports team.

"It's always a sad day to lose a member of the Mortality eSports family. Yet, Axe is leaving Mortality eSports on good terms, looking to focus his competitive career in a different direction. Axe has done an outstanding job representing Mortality eSports at recent events and will be missed." - Director of Operations Patrick 'OctanePro' Jester.

With Axe as a free agent coming into Evo 2015 it should be interesting to see if any other team tries to pick him up in the near future. The full announcement of him leaving the team is available on the Mortality eSports website.

SmashCapps really believes 20 Axe | Axe really should be a thing, Axe should sponsor Axe while they have the chance! To discuss this and all other Smash news, be sure to follow SmashCapps on Twitter.

Jmcpappy

Smash Cadet
He'll probably join MVG, that's who he has been hanging around lately.

EDIT: FIRST BISHES

Last edited:

Sgt-Sol

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sol-Bird 64
3DS FC
2681-1465-2550
MEWTWO IS ALMOST HERE I SWEAR IF HE HAS A CUSTOM UP B THAT HAS A HITBOX AN D KILLS I WILL USE THAT TO MY ADVANTAGE
DANCE EVERY 1 DLC IS 4 MORE DLC CHARACTERS IS COMING (I could care less about grammar right now)

Helios_

Smash Rookie
Is it even a question? With MVG picking up steam, there's no doubt they'll take him. Although I also wouldn't be surprised if Clash made a move.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Damn, those 9 months went by fast. It felt like he just joined Mortality.

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
Time for MVG_league to pick him up, you should follow their twitch there's good times to be had there with Axe, M2K and ZeRo. (I'd link it but I'm at school right now.)

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
Why should the life of an individual smash player make front page news? All of this deification of individual players makes me sick, and is probably the worst aspect of competitive smash.

PandaPanda Senketsu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5241-2412-1689
Why should the life of an individual smash player make front page news? All of this deification of individual players makes me sick, and is probably the worst aspect of competitive smash.
He has a huge following and a big fanbase, I mean he IS ranked 6th in the world for melee.

Last edited:

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
He has a huge following and a big fanbase, I mean he IS ranked 6th in the world for melee.
And guess what : who he chooses to be sponsored by and the sponsor itself has no bearing on his abilities in melee. It's not like he plays for a "team" that resides in a particular region: he plays for himself alone. It only has bearing on his life. He isn't a god whose every action we should be looking at, because playing a video game is not like other sports where particular players are "blessed" with height and such: they just play more than everyone else does.

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
And guess what : who he chooses to be sponsored by and the sponsor itself has no bearing on his abilities in melee. It's not like he plays for a "team" that resides in a particular region: he plays for himself alone. It only has bearing on his life. He isn't a god whose every action we should be looking at, because playing a video game is not like other sports where particular players are "blessed" with height and such: they just play more than everyone else does.
This is news that's relevant to the people who come to this site. I guess talking about competition glorifies people who goes to tournaments, so we'll stop talking about that too.

If anything, it's *more* impressive than sports that he is where he is because literally anyone could pick up a gamecube controller and learn the game, and try to get good, whereas only those with innate physical gifts are ever going to be 6'10 power forwards in the NBA. You can't 'practice' being big. You can, on the other hand, practice Melee. Anyone can. And the fact that he's good at it is worthy of consideration.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
In the NBA it's the body and skill together that makes someone special, one of a kind individuals. And the fact that one of those individuals may be playing for my city makes him someone we can be in awe of, or the fact that he makes a mockery of the game itself given that size and skill( a wilt chamberlain), or plays in such a perfect way that he can always will a TEAM to victory (Michael Jordan). Axe only plays for himself, he's nobody to look up to, he's someone people should be aspiring to be better than. I have no issues with people posting his videos, but if you post stuff about his personal life it shows that you've given a human godlike status for something that nobody could argue one has natural or innate skills in that others could not match. The problem is that many of you do make this argument implicitly if not explicitly. A wilt chamberlain is one that nobody has ever gotten close to statistically given his skills and size (don't argue with me on this, I know more about the nba and nba history than you could ever know). Even a Charles Barkley had unique characteristics others cannot match. Axe? He presses buttons on a controller, one that others could match with much practice. he's no god, and neither are the other supposed gods.

K4I

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kai9000
In the NBA it's the body and skill together that makes someone special, one of a kind individuals. And the fact that one of those individuals may be playing for my city makes him someone we can be in awe of, or the fact that he makes a mockery of the game itself given that size and skill( a wilt chamberlain), or plays in such a perfect way that he can always will a TEAM to victory (Michael Jordan). Axe only plays for himself, he's nobody to look up to, he's someone people should be aspiring to be better than. I have no issues with people posting his videos, but if you post stuff about his personal life it shows that you've given a human godlike status for something that nobody could argue one has natural or innate skills in that others could not match. The problem is that many of you do make this argument implicitly if not explicitly. A wilt chamberlain is one that nobody has ever gotten close to statistically given his skills and size (don't argue with me on this, I know more about the nba and nba history than you could ever know). Even a Charles Barkley had unique characteristics others cannot match. Axe? He presses buttons on a controller, one that others could match with much practice. he's no god, and neither are the other supposed gods.
This guy, am I right? lol This is a smash site. This article is smash news about a big name player. No ones treating him like a god... Get over it.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
..a smash site that's supposed to care about tournaments, strategies, etc and not who someone is sponsored by, ie who they are earning money from, which frankly has nothing to do even with the SMASH LIVES of 99.9% of the ppl visiting this forum. All it serves to do is continue glorifying, ie deifying, certain individuals over others, for no good reason as I went over in the comment you quoted.

Last edited:

Peinewood

Smash Rookie
NNID
peinewii
Some people in the community care about this news, and that alone makes it relevant. Say what you will about treating individuals as gods or what have you, but because people care, this is newsworthy, and your opinion can not and will not change that.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
I disagree: whoever decided that news like this is something that SHOULD be relevant to the community is the one that imposed on the community the belief that this is somehow relevant to their own smash activities. And no doubt that it is relevant to the select few that are sponsored or good enough to be sponsored (and attend tournaments). But the other 99.9%? None whatsoever. And the fact that you think it's relevant shows how easily you were manipulated into thinking that it is, without being able to provide anyone with any logical reason why.

K4I

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kai9000
It's relevant because people care... I don't know how you can make it any more clear.

Omar_25

Smash Superstar
the year is 20 Axe | Axe. Axe has now sponsored everyone except for hax. Hax has now started an esports team called 20 hax so he can sponsor himself. His tag is now 20 hax| Hax.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
I've said my piece mostly, and I invite you to think hard about why you personally think this is worthy of front page news for most of the smashers that visit, instead of a thread at the appropriate sub-forum, given what I've said.

I should mention that this post also has nothing to do with showcasing smash as a sport, as some could claim it does, because again it's about a particular individual leaving his sponsor, not about a new sponsor coming in to sponsor players in smash.

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
I've said my piece mostly, and I invite you to think hard about why you personally think this is worthy of front page news for most of the smashers that visit, instead of a thread at the appropriate sub-forum, given what I've said.

I should mention that this post also has nothing to do with showcasing smash as a sport, as some could claim it does, because again it's about a particular individual leaving his sponsor, not about a new sponsor coming in to sponsor players in smash.
You are the only one to have aired this grievance. Fortunately for everyone who does care, you do not have the right to decide whether or not people are interested in the news. You don't see me yelling at tabloids for following around celebrities, even though I don't agree with it.

gaminggentleguy

Smash Rookie
NNID
gaminggentleguy2

Why don't you make your own website and get all of these people to see it.
Their website their rules.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
You are the only one to have aired this grievance. Fortunately for everyone who does care, you do not have the right to decide whether or not people are interested in the news. You don't see me yelling at tabloids for following around celebrities, even though I don't agree with it.
Excuse me sir. Did you read what you quoted? I asked you to think hard for yourself why you believe this to be newsworthy given my comments. So far I have received no rebuttal to my arguments, and ridiculous arguments to the effect that I have no right to make any argument at all against the decision to post this. Think for yourself instead of finding offense in my remarks. We can all make good choices and bad choices. As Aristotle said,
"Every wicked man is in ignorance as to what he ought to do, and from what to abstain, and it is because of error such as this that men become unjust and, in a word, wicked."

FYI, u made a good point about the tabloids but we unfortunately have little room to air our grievances.

Last edited:

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
In fairness, Natural reaction time and dexterity are also physical traits that are not biologically uniform. You can train it, but people are not all neurologically the same. Just as people are not all muscularly the same. Or have similar heights.

Neurological advantages don't tend to manifest in the mid-levels though. Given my own level of practice and skill (see: not a lot), it'd be hard to tell if I just... had better reaction time by nature. You can't assess it like you could assess height, especially since reaction time needs some nurturing for most people... even the naturally gifted ones.

Just my two cents on physical gifts with respect to gaming. Team vs Solo, and sponsorship stuff? Meh, I don't have an opinion.

Peinewood

Smash Rookie
NNID
peinewii
I disagree: whoever decided that news like this is something that SHOULD be relevant to the community is the one that imposed on the community the belief that this is somehow relevant to their own smash activities. And no doubt that it is relevant to the select few that are sponsored or good enough to be sponsored (and attend tournaments). But the other 99.9%? None whatsoever. And the fact that you think it's relevant shows how easily you were manipulated into thinking that it is, without being able to provide anyone with any logical reason why.
Honestly, I couldn't care less about this news, but I came here anyway to see what people who did care were saying about it because that is what I like to see, making it relevant to me. But seeing your comments just made me a little sad. You can think whatever you want and try to impose your opinions on others, but it just won't do anything because everyone on the Internet is just as stubborn as you. I hope your endeavors to stop people from caring makes you happy though, so good luck with that.

DestinNotDustin

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5172-3310-2014
Excuse me sir. Did you read what you quoted? I asked you to think hard for yourself why you believe this to be newsworthy given my comments. So far I have received no rebuttal to my arguments, and ridiculous arguments to the effect that I have no right to make any argument at all against the decision to post this. Think for yourself instead of finding offense in my remarks. We can all make good choices and bad choices. As Aristotle said,
"Every wicked man is in ignorance as to what he ought to do, and from what to abstain, and it is because of error such as this that men become unjust and, in a word, wicked."

FYI, u made a good point about the tabloids but we unfortunately have little room to air our grievances.
You must be new. Every time a pro is sponsored (or leaves a sponsor), its always a topic of discussion. Remember when Sanford Kelly joined Steam Co.? How about the fall of EMP with players such as Justin Wong, Yipes, and M2K left?

You're just being difficult for the sake of being difficult.

Last edited:

0range_St331

Smash Rookie
Ok, let's look at what DaRkJaWs has stated. In his first comment, he voiced personal opinion ("makes me sick") but he also makes the claim that it is "probably the worst" aspect of competitive smash. He supports his argument by stating that SmashBoards is a place "about tournaments, strategies, etc". That fragment is true. However he later states, " and not who someone is sponsored by". However, Smashboards is the "Home of the smash community". As much as it is centered around the playing, the aspects of the game, and those who value such qualities, it is a "home" to everyone else who also enjoys the plentiful other dimensions of Smash. It is a home to those who take interest in professional players.
This brings me to my next point is that they take interest in professional players because they respect them. This interest stems from DaRkJaWs's personal value in the playing of the game because professionals are, in simple terms, really good at it. Fans observe them to observe their playing because it is fun, enjoyable, and skillful. Therefore when events happen that relate to these players that they enjoy watching, it becomes of their relevance and attention. Thus for these reasons, I negate DaRkJaWs's claim and I counter-argue that Smashers are completely justified to take interest and post threads about events revolving around professional players and that the interest in itself is completely justified.

Note to DaRkJaWs: Don't misinterpret me as saying you are wrong in saying what you did. You have every right to state your claim and your support, as Smashboards is the home of everyone and their respectfully stated opinions and arguments, and the above is simply a rebuttal. And I also feel that some of your connotation came off the wrong way and offended some people. Feel free to rebutt in a rule-abiding manner.

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace
Oh sure complain about smash player related news in smashboards but not about the remix corner which seems to not have any relations with smash at all other than the whole Nintendo character things. Stay mad nerd.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta

then you know absolutely nothing about E-sports or gaming in general. You really think thats the ONLY thing that discerns top players from lower ones? Thats is a straight up scrub statement. Some people can spend all the time in the world at this game and they wont be as good as certain players. There are attributes that certain players are 'blessed' with. Reactions is a HUGE one; not everyone is born with amazing reactions. While we all have the capacity to learn, intelligence is also something that comes in different variants. Some have lower levels of adrenaline, (im not just talking about getting used to nerves) thus they are capable of being calm in otherwise strenuous situations ( much like thrill seekers often secrete lower levels of adrenaline). Neurotransmitter levels also plays a part into the psychology of a player. So yes theyre are genetic as well as social reasons for someone being a top player. And both of them are important. Same goes in any competitive sport ( not every 7 footer is gonna be as good as Shaq). The only people who have this mentality have this silly notion that they themselves could be as good as so and so they just are too busy with "more meaningful things." Which is stupid because; 1. its an utter cop out and excuse for your own low skill level at the particular thing, and 2. you are inferring that these people arent living lives outside of these games which is down right absurd.

Finally, you just called playing video games a sport. If you really believe it to be so, and this is Smashboards, a notable home for this sport, why wouldnt they talk about Axe leaving Mortality??? Theres literally no proper logical progression in your post. How does speaking about him make him a god? thats just stupid. Idolatry doesnt need to be had for this news to have meaning.

EDIT: Oh jeez now he's spouting Aristotle. Hurray for pretentious individuals.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Welp, there's another of Melee's few characters gone forever. R.I.P. :pikachumelee:, you were the only entertaining thing to watch at all of EVO '14.

Top Bottom