• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's Own Demon-Fighting Duo! Donbe & Hikari for SSB4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Donbe and Hikari

Donbe and Hikari are the sibling protagonists of the Japan-only game Famicom Mukashibanashi Shin Onigashima, roughly translated to Famicom Fairytales: The New Island of Ogres. The text-adventure-esque game has warranted remakes on the Super Famicom's Sattellaview and the Game Boy Advance's Famicom Mini Disk System series, as well as a release on the Virtual Console, although all are Japan-exclusive. The two also have cameos in Captain Rainbow, Kirby's Dream Land 3, Daigasso! Band Brothers and even as a trophy in Melee and stickers/music in Brawl! And about music, this game was composed by Koji Kondo, who also composed the music for Super Mario Bros, Legend of Zelda, Punch-Out!!, Star Fox and Nazo no Murasamejo (Takamaru's game). The game itself was created by Tatsuya Hishida, who had also worked on the Pokemon series and EarthBound. The game has been critically acclaimed with great music and high difficulty.

The characters themselves were entrusted to an elderly couple living in a village in the mountains as prophesied by a dream. Donbe, the boy, was born from a rice bowl floating down a river. He was gifted with extreme strength, but low intelligence. Hikari, his sister, was born from a glimmering bamboo shoot. She was gifted with high intelligence and resourcefulness, but physical weakness. 8 years passed, and an evil came. The Avatar of Darkness, in the form of a dragon, transformed the people of the village into soul-sucking Oni, who stole the souls of the adopted parents. They were then entrusted by a powerful entity to stop the Avatar of Darkness and his Oni army and rescue their family, as well as uncover their history. Along the way they were assisted by a dog named Ringo, a monkey named Matsunosuke, a pheasant named Ohana, a English-speaking boy named Kintaro and a strange Tengu who all followed them to Onigashima, the Isle of Oni. They finally defeated the dragon and everything returned to normal... or did it? Can't find a good source anywhere.

The reason I'm advocating these characters is because they're a retro tag team that can represent Japanese culture. And even though it will 95% NOT happen in Smash 4, there's a chance it could happen. If anybody wants to make a moveset, that's fine with me. If anybody wants to give me a translated version to research on my own, it's cool. Back on the subject of characters, they represent not only retro, but some of Nintendo's less respected series and the text-adventure genre as a whole. Think about it. Who REALLY could represent the Japan-only Famicom Disk System and Japan's culture as a whole? They are based off Japanese fairy tales, and can be unique by basing their attacks off actions from the game or events from the fairy tales and other parts of Japanese culture. Some may argue that other characters can deem the two useless. I'll post counterpoints and such below:

Counterpoint 1: They aren't popular enough.
Since when has popularity become the sole reason that a character gets into Smash? Was everyone CLAMORING for Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch and Marth to get in Melee? In Brawl, did everybody demand for Pit, Zero Suit Samus, R.O.B. and Pokemon Trainer? Wii Fit Trainer? This isn't a popularity contest. It's Nintendo's all-stars duking it out, and maybe in someone's eyes Donbe and Hikari are important enough to warrant a spot in the game.

Counterpoint 2: They're not recent enough.
I'm not going to argue with this one. Revise your life decisions. Just, go. You're not welcome here. Since... WHEN... has recency... EVER... decided whether or not a character gets into the game? You know what? Next counterpoint.

Counterpoint 3: There's been problems with the 3DS and duo characters.
...well crap. They don't exactly NEED to be a duo character, it's just I prefer it that way. Besides, it could be only one on the 3DS and both of them on the Wii U. That's all I got.

Counterpoint 4: Takamaru will represent the Famicom Disk System and Japanese culture!

Takamaru is NOT a Japan-only character. His character is playable in Samurai Warriors 3, and his franchise is represented in Nintendo Land. And Takamaru's a samurai, yes, but I'm talking mystic Japanese culture and folk tales. Even though Takamaru represents the East, his series is more likely to travel west and make a triumphant return. However, I fear Donbe and Hikari won't share the same fate. Which is why they can return in SSB4. I still support Takamaru, however.

Counterpoint 5: Mr. Hanafuda could represent Japanese culture better!

Mr. Hanafuda would be in the same level as Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B. and Wii Fit Trainer: A hardware character. And, not trying to offend anyone here, but I think... Donbe and Hikari have a LOT better chance than him. It's just... I don't think he's even on Nintendo's radar. At all. Not saying these two definitely are, but... you know...

Counterpoint 6: Lucas represents the Japan-only area already!

Lucas represents Mother 3. He represents EarthBound. That's like saying that a Pokemon character represents North America because Pokemon Puzzle League was America (and Europe) exclusive. I love Lucas, but he's NOT an excuse for a Japan-exclusive character to not get in.

Tracks:
[collapse=SSBB: Shin Onigashima]
[/collapse]

DESTROYERS OF ONIGASHIMA

APC99
FalKoopa
Oracle_Summon
Keybladeguy
YoshiandToad
RoxburyGuy68
Tepig2000
Brawler610
Bloodbuzzed
Pacack
Sobrevivente
Kapus
Updates coming later!

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Donbe and Hikari
Donbe and Hikari are the sibling protagonists of the Japan-only game Famicom Mukashibanashi Shin Onigashima, roughly translated to Famicom Fairytales: The New Island of Ogres. The text-adventure-esque game has warranted remakes on the Super Famicom's Sattellaview and the Game Boy Advance's Famicom Mini Disk System series, as well as a release on the Virtual Console, although all are Japan-exclusive. The two also have cameos in Captain Rainbow, Kirby's Dream Land 3, Daigasso! Band Brothers and even as a trophy in Melee and stickers/music in Brawl! And about music, this game was composed by Koji Kondo, who also composed the music for Super Mario Bros, Legend of Zelda, Punch-Out!!, Star Fox and Nazo no Murasamejo (Takamaru's game). The game itself was created by Tatsuya Hishida, who had also worked on the Pokemon series and EarthBound. The game has been critically acclaimed with great music and high difficulty.​
The characters themselves were entrusted to an elderly couple living in a village in the mountains as prophesied by a dream. Donbe, the boy, was born from a rice bowl floating down a river. He was gifted with extreme strength, but low intelligence. Hikari, his sister, was born from a glimmering bamboo shoot. She was gifted with high intelligence and resourcefulness, but physical weakness. 8 years passed, and an evil came. The Avatar of Darkness, in the form of a dragon, transformed the people of the village into soul-sucking Oni, who stole the souls of the adopted parents. They were then entrusted by a powerful entity to stop the Avatar of Darkness and his Oni army and rescue their family, as well as uncover their history. Along the way they were assisted by a dog named Ringo, a monkey named Matsunosuke, a pheasant named Ohana, a English-speaking boy named Kintaro and a strange Tengu who all followed them to Onigashima, the Isle of Oni. They finally defeated the dragon and everything returned to normal... or did it? Can't find a good source anywhere.​
The reason I'm advocating these characters is because they're a retro tag team that can represent Japanese culture. And even though it will 95% NOT happen in Smash 4, there's a chance it could happen. If anybody wants to make a moveset, that's fine with me. If anybody wants to give me a translated version to research on my own, it's cool. Back on the subject of characters, they represent not only retro, but some of Nintendo's less respected series and the text-adventure genre as a whole. Think about it. Who REALLY could represent the Japan-only Famicom Disk System and Japan's culture as a whole? They are based off Japanese fairy tales, and can be unique by basing their attacks off actions from the game or events from the fairy tales and other parts of Japanese culture. Some may argue that other characters can deem the two useless. I'll post counterpoints and such below:​
Counterpoint 1: They aren't popular enough.​
Since when has popularity become the sole reason that a character gets into Smash? Was everyone CLAMORING for Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch and Marth to get in Melee? In Brawl, did everybody demand for Pit, Zero Suit Samus, R.O.B. and Pokemon Trainer? Wii Fit Trainer? This isn't a popularity contest. It's Nintendo's all-stars duking it out, and maybe in someone's eyes Donbe and Hikari are important enough to warrant a spot in the game.​
Updates later!​
I wouldn't mind them myself in particular. However the reason I think they won't be entered is because of the other reps that have already been given some thought in Super Smash Bros Brawl.

Ice Climbers, in my theory at least, was chosen to represent the retro era of Nintendo in Melee.

Mr. Game & Watch was the One Obscure Character added per Game that Sakurai seems to follow.

Marth was popular in Japan enough to be added and, I believe I am going out on a limb hear by saying it, due to time contraints he was left untouched.

Pit 's franchise was bought by Sakurai and therefore he probably wanted to experiment.

Zero Suit Samus, maybe that was Sakurai's way of adding a second Metroid Rep without making it seem to obscure? (I don't know, I sound obscure by mentioning this)

Pokemon Trainer, I believe Pokemon Trainer was a complete test to see if they could practice a new mechanic in the Smash Franchise.

R.O.B., I will admit I did not expect him, but he did play a role in Nintendo's past and he was the One Obscure Character of Brawl.

Wii Fit Trianer, I believe she was added because of the chances she would cater to the Common-Gamer audience. But most of all, it was probably because she was the One Obscure Character of Brawl.

Edit: Forgot to mention. Sakurai said he was having trouble with the Ice Climbers character on the 3DS version. The only supposed "reason" I think they would not be added is if Sakurai doesn't want to go through the trouble of dealing with characters that may be hard to implement on the 3DS, that is if Sakurai had a lot of trouble adding the Ice Climbers.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I wouldn't mind them myself in particular. However the reason I think they won't be entered is because of the other reps that have already been given some thought in Super Smash Bros Brawl.

Ice Climbers, in my theory at least, was chosen to represent the retro era of Nintendo in Melee.

Mr. Game & Watch was the One Obscure Character added per Game that Sakurai seems to follow.

Marth was popular in Japan enough to be added and, I believe I am going out on a limb hear by saying it, due to time contraints he was left untouched.

Pit 's franchise was bought by Sakurai and therefore he probably wanted to experiment.

Zero Suit Samus, maybe that was Sakurai's way of adding a second Metroid Rep without making it seem to obscure? (I don't know, I sound obscure by mentioning this)

Pokemon Trainer, I believe Pokemon Trainer was a complete test to see if they could practice a new mechanic in the Smash Franchise.

R.O.B., I will admit I did not expect him, but he did play a role in Nintendo's past and he was the One Obscure Character of Brawl.

Wii Fit Trianer, I believe she was added because of the chances she would cater to the Common-Gamer audience. But most of all, it was probably because she was the One Obscure Character of Brawl.

Edit: Forgot to mention. Sakurai said he was having trouble with the Ice Climbers character on the 3DS version. The only supposed "reason" I think they would not be added is if Sakurai doesn't want to go through the trouble of dealing with characters that may be hard to implement on the 3DS, that is if Sakurai had a lot of trouble adding the Ice Climbers.
Yes, I was just explaining that most of them were not generally a character everyone wanted in-game and were surprised by their entry.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Yes, I was just explaining that most of them were not generally a character everyone wanted in-game and were surprised by their entry.
Yeah, I understood your point. When it comes all down to it though, whoever Sakurai wants in will get in.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
They are one of my favourite retros. I'm fond of their design, and the Shin Onigashima music in Brawl's soundtrack.

I fully support.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I only know of them because Hikari's huge (Sometimes sad) role in Captain Rainbow. They might give them an update design similar to what she got.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I remember getting the trophy for these two back in Melee and not having a clue who they were. I think it was the first one I got from the slot machine.

I'd prefer Duck Hunt Dog or Lip for the inevitable old school/discontinued character, but Donbe and Hikari could be really interesting. I'd probably pick them above Takamaru personally; they just appear that much more visually striking to me.

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah I definitely support this.

Don't be so quick to count them out, though. Development's not ogre yet...

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
I love these duo of characters, pretty much they are up with my most wanted new comers from the retro series even more than Takamaru. Here is a sig that I made for them.

.n_n.

D

Deleted member

In Brawl, did everybody demand for Pit, Zero Suit Samus
I actually think that people did at least want a second Metroid character (which we got with Zero Suit Samus) and I heard that Pit was highly demanded in the west to appear in Brawl prior to E3 2006.

Anyways, I'll support this. Not my most wanted retro rep, but I don't think I would be bothered by them. (however I want Little Mac and Takamaru first)

bloodbuzzed

Smash Apprentice
I know very little about these two but that doesn't stop them from being quite high on my wish list! I'm in full support of them too

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'd prefer Takamaru as a retro, but I'd be more than fine with their inclusion. Might be a little odd to have two retros with a double team mechanic, though.

bloodbuzzed

Smash Apprentice
I'd prefer Takamaru as a retro, but I'd be more than fine with their inclusion. Might be a little odd to have two retros with a double team mechanic, though.
I again don't know much about Takamaru but I would personally prefer an original fighting duo to another sword user, especially if everyone that is so certain of both Ike and Chrom's inclusion are correct. Perhaps Takamaru would surprise me though, I'm sure Sakurai could work his magic.

I remember as a kid gazing over my trophy collection in Melee and always thinking Donbe & Hikari looked interesting, maybe I'm biased heh heh.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I again don't know much about Takamaru but I would personally prefer an original fighting duo to another sword user, especially if everyone that is so certain of both Ike and Chrom's inclusion are correct. Perhaps Takamaru would surprise me though, I'm sure Sakurai could work his magic.

I remember as a kid gazing over my trophy collection in Melee and always thinking Donbe & Hikari looked interesting, maybe I'm biased heh heh.
Well, the thing I like about Takamaru over any other candidate is that he's in the same vein that Pit was. He's the star of a forgotten franchise that was the sister series to another Nintendo franchise which is still praised today.

That, along with his interesting abilities (he's more than just another sword user, honestly) and his design make me like him more than any other candidate for the retro spot.

I still kinda like Donbe and Hikari, though.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Takamaru can walk on water :p

What i love the most about donbe and hikari is the design itself, is one of the few melee's trophies i remembered from back in the day, i thought it was awesome.
Yes pls, i expect them in smash 6 or 7 but i will be very happy if they appear in this one :p

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Lip is my preferred retro character, but I definitely would not say no to these characters being included. They're a pretty cute duo.

I do want to point out, though, that both Pit and Marth were well requested characters before they got added to Smash.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I remember the music from their game on the ice climbers stage. They might get in, but they still have rivals in terms of retro characters such as Takamaru.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Moveset? I wanna see what they can do.

bloodbuzzed

Smash Apprentice
Moveset? I wanna see what they can do.
Based on the only gameplay I've seen (hello Youtube), the game seems to be a lot of text. I can't really pick out much that could be used because the way the game works is by examining your surroundings using the two characters and trying to rescue their parental figures from Japanese demons. It seems to play out like one of those 'choose your own path' books where there are frequent game overs / dead ends and only one right path.

Sakurai could make their attacks an eclectic combination of things using objects sort of like G&W or Villager, perhaps.

They're not forgotten about either. Their game was remade for the GBA, plus their trophy (Melee) and theme song (Brawl) appearing in the Smash series. Also Hikari appeared in Captain Rainbow, just without Donbe and in an older form.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I would love to see a moveset for the duo. I am interested in them, I just need to be hooked ;P.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
Why is no one attempting to translate the game anyway.
1) Lack of demand

2) Very text heavy (has a deep story, think Famicom Detective series but cranked to the 9th degree)

It's not hard to translate. It's hard to find someone willing to take the effort to translate it. If someone allocated half an hour a day to it, it'd be done in a month assuming the person is fluent in the language.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Why is no one attempting to translate the game anyway.
Very late, but the game's script reads from top to bottom, which was the standard system historically. Translating that to English would be very difficult if not impossible because English can only be written horizontally, and the only way to actually localize the game is to recode it to add a horizontal text box.

Also if nothing else, I want these two in for the music.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
I can't believe I didn't post in this thread before. Donbe and Hikari have my full support!

Been listening to Shin Onigashima's music lately, they are pretty good tracks, but I like Yuyuki's more personally.
Every single track from Shin Onigashima is awesome. By the way, if you are into obscure Nintendo soundtracks, I suggest Time Twist.

Wait, there's no support thread for the main character of Time Twist, right? *grabs a pen and some paper*

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Extra bump.

This is my all-time favorite version of the main theme of Shin Onigashima:

Also, I found some cool fanart. They are not as cool as the ones that MasterMushroom posts, but I think they are worth posting:

More can be found here: http://oni.skr.jp/

What is Time Twist?
It's another old text-based Nintendo game. You'll know more soon. I'm going to write a support thread for the main character. I was going to do that today, but I got distracted by those pics. I really should learn how to focus...

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey, does anybody have any alternate colors for Donbe and Hikari? I would like to see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom